4 companies axemen of lossarnach

Legendary:
3 companies court of the dead king
3 companies of grey company
3 companies of osgiliath veterans.

any thoughts?

Jorgen_CAB
30-04-2009, 19:28
I really can't see why Thranduil would be helping Gondor by himself, fluff wise that just seems weird!?!

I really think that you need some bigger infantry formations, at least one with six companies at 2000p.

I would bring at least one of the Cavalry formations up to at least four companies and give both a standard. Cavalry really need to succeed on their charges, things can get messy fast if they don't.

I would simply drop Thranduil and by some extra command and troops, perhaps a captain or two for some important formations such as my cavalry or axemen.

In my experience Archers don't work so well in sizes of two companies, that is because their chances of gaining two hits on 6/4 are too low, you need that to be a threat against monsters.

Lord Asuryan
30-04-2009, 20:15
I suppose Thranduil doesn't make sense. I mean, i suppose I could take arwen, but your suggestion seems better.

30-04-2009, 21:08
I really can't see why Thranduil would be helping Gondor by himself, fluff wise that just seems weird!?!

I really think that you need some bigger infantry formations, at least one with six companies at 2000p.

I would bring at least one of the Cavalry formations up to at least four companies and give both a standard. Cavalry really need to succeed on their charges, things can get messy fast if they don't.

I would simply drop Thranduil and by some extra command and troops, perhaps a captain or two for some important formations such as my cavalry or axemen.

In my experience Archers don't work so well in sizes of two companies, that is because their chances of gaining two hits on 6/4 are too low, you need that to be a threat against monsters.

Strongly second all that and just to embellish:

- I don't get Thranduil (or Arwen) from either a theme or capabilities perspective. I'd leave out both to get the points to beef up those core units. (If you had to have an elf, I'd sooner see Legolas or even Glorfindel as a one-elf army sent by Elrond to aid Gondor. A bit of a theme stretch, but better than the King of Greenwood the Great showing up by his lonesome.)

- Use those points first for more companies for the Osgilath Veterans. For perspective, my 2000 pt Gondorian list has 2x4 company WoMT and 1x6 company of Osgiliath Veterans with Boromir or Faramir as my anvil. (not that my choices are the measure of all things)

- Having played with some Rohirrim, cavalry are more resilient at 4 companies minimum. (In my list I think the KoMT are at 4 and the SKoDA are at 6, with Imrahil) Try to get yours to 5-6 depending on your models available of course.

- You might just consolidate the 2x2 companies of archers into one formation. (I have mine at 3 companies, but also have a 3 company formation of Rangers/Ithilien Rangers)

- Personally, not a big fan of Army of the Dead - I would rather have Rangers or Blackroot Vale Archers (which might be a cheaper, less glamorous alternative to the Grey Company)

In sum, think about fewer, bigger formations that can make a real impact. At 2000 pts, your current distribution feels like a "smattering".

Lord Asuryan
30-04-2009, 21:46
the main reason my swan knights are so small is that they are VERY expensive, and I'm having a hard time converting them. any ideas? if so, they go UP in size by a lot.

01-05-2009, 04:26
the main reason my swan knights are so small is that they are VERY expensive, and I'm having a hard time converting them. any ideas? if so, they go UP in size by a lot.

I feel you. I got mine in a Bartertown lot for a nice price. Still need to cough up for the cpt and banner models.

Beef up the nice, cheap, plastic KoMT instead.