PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen Questions

LegendFX
30-04-2009, 20:43
Hallo Warseers,

After 3 failed attempts to start a fantasy army, I have finally found an army that meets my 3 biggest demands, being:

1. Awsome models
2. Great to paint
3. Great to play

Assuming you read the title, you'll know that Legend joined the ranks of Coldblooded Lizards. I already asked a few lizardmen players to help me out when it comes to the start of an army, but there are still many questions that remain unanswered.

For instance, the diffrence between the Razordon and the Salamander Hunting pack. As I see it, the Razordon is a connon on 4 legs, while a salamander is more like a flamer on 4 legs. I recon they are both used in different situations and against different units. But which unit is more allround, and thus a better buy for a starting army?

I've already picked up a box of Saurus Warriors. I recon they are the basic and most allround core choices. Plus, I just like the models, and they are aslo nearly done. Im hoping to abide by the old and long forgotten way of buy a box, paint a box, buy a new box after that. So I wont be playing with the army for a while untill I have it all build and painted up. The goal this year is to have at least 1 painted army :P

The core of the army will be a block of Saurus warriors, and 2 units of 10 skink skirmishers with blowpipes. And as a hero, i was thinking of a skink scroll caddy and a scar veteran ( possibly the Chakax model ) with a greatweapon, light armour and shield.

I'm not planning to play a magic heavy army, so up untill over 2200, Im not planning to put in a slann.

I love the Temple Guard models, but I heard that under 1200 points, they are pretty pricey for what the can do. I do plan to put a block of 15 of em in the army eventually.

I want to start out with a 1000 point list, with an expending to 1500 to begin with. Like I said, I have SOME idea as to what I want to put in there, but other then that, I am stuck.

I'm new to this, so I had hoped that the cold blooded brothers here wouldn't mind helping this new skink out when it comes to building a basic 1000 list that is just fun to play with. The object isnt really to win all the games I play, but to just have an army I can get used to playing with and just have fun with.

Hope you guys can help me out.

Malorian
30-04-2009, 20:52
Here's a nice 1000 list to get you started:

scarvet w/ great weapon, light armor, shield
18 spear saurus w/ banner, musician
10 skirmishing skinks
10 skirmishing skinks
3 terradons
3 kroxigors
5 cold one cav w/ banner
razordon

Comes to 998 points

I wouldn't bother with any magic at 1000. Maybe in your jump to 1500 add an engine of the gods (magic and stegadon, hurray!).

LegendFX
30-04-2009, 20:57
That was sort of simillar to what I had in mind, though I am NOT a fan of the Krox's and the cold ones. Any possible alternatives?

( Im not being stubborn or a wise ass, Im just trying to keep as many options open as possible.)

Clearwind
30-04-2009, 21:01
A good way to equip your Scar-vet:

Cold One
Light Armour
Enchanted Shield
Sword of Might

This should give your Scar-vet a 0+ armour save and five STR 6 attacks. Plus the added bonus of causing fear. Place him in a Saurus block and now you don't have to worry about fear checks for the unit.

Elblanco
30-04-2009, 21:02
I wouldn't use TG unless you have a slann, they're only effective if you have a slann with them to make them stubborn and all that jazz. I only use them without one now, because I started with the battalion and that's about all I have :P

And your ideas for the sally and razordon are about right, and for the all around question, I'd say salamanders, because their range is a bit farther then the razordon, but they both seem fun. I'm personally going to have 3 sally's in my 2k army.

oh and Mallorian, running kroxigor by themselves like that isn't very effective, krox should exclusively be played in a block of skinks, at either 16 and 2 or 24 and 3 AND a skink musician and standard. Any other way and they're too far behind in static CR to be effective.

LegendFX
30-04-2009, 21:06
But if you put your Veteran on a cold one, isn't it a better idea to put him in a unit f 5 cold one riders?

Malorian
30-04-2009, 21:08
That was sort of simillar to what I had in mind, though I am NOT a fan of the Krox's and the cold ones. Any possible alternatives?

( Im not being stubborn or a wise ass, Im just trying to keep as many options open as possible.)

Well if you don't like saurus cav or krox you could always just add a second unit of spears and some skinks or something, but you have to realize you just took out both your hammers in place for another anvil... I guess you could add a stegadon...

(And I agree with others that you shouldn't take temple guard until you have a slann.)

LegendFX
30-04-2009, 21:12
Hmm...I guess a unit of cold ones wouldnt be all that bad, but I already know the Krox's arent that great when you let them run around by their lonesome.

bob_the_small
30-04-2009, 21:22
Wel, working by Malorians list, and prohibiting the use of Cold ones and krox, this is what i suggest

1000 Pts - Lizardmen

Saurus Scar-Veteran - 125 Pts
Light Armour
Sword of Might
Enchanted Shield

19 Saurus Warriors - 258 Pts
Full Command
Spears

10 Skink Skirmishers - 70 Pts

Stegadon - 235 Pts

1 Salamander Hunting Pack - 75 Pts

3 Terradon Riders - 90 Pts

Total Cost: 923 (that gives you some points to play with)

Oh and by the way, you are seriously limiting yourself by not using cold ones or kroxigor, in 1000 points I would have a unit of 3 in skinks.

LegendFX
30-04-2009, 21:30
Im honestly ok with Cold ones, but the main reason that I dont like Krox's just yet, is that it will hurt my bank account. Those buggers are expensive!

bob_the_small
30-04-2009, 21:37
Well, ok using Cold ones we have this (a bit under, bit this is a guideline) :

1000 Pts - Lizardmen

Saurus Scar-Veteran - 125 Pts
Light Armour
Sword of Might
Enchanted Shield

19 Saurus Warriors @ 258 Pts
Full Command
Spears

5 Cold One Cavalry - 225 Pts
Full Command

Stegadon - 235 Pts

Total Cost: 983

Nicha11
30-04-2009, 21:45
The best scar vet IMO is=

Scar-vet, Great Weapon,Hide of the cold ones.

Very tough for a hero, and he's dishing out strength 7 with a 3+ armour save.

LegendFX
30-04-2009, 21:46
Great tips guys, keep em comming!

bob_the_small
30-04-2009, 21:54
What else do you want help on? a theme? come on! Give us something to work with! :D

LegendFX
30-04-2009, 22:26
I got a theme. Desert Lizards. ill post the link to the paingting blog soon. Promise!

On the whole, I'm just looking for builds, units and army composition.

bob_the_small
30-04-2009, 22:44
Well, for a 2000 point list, this is what ive come up with (assuming you want a slaan)

2000 Pts - Lizardmen

Slann Mage-Priest - 405 Pts
2 Dispel Scrolls
War Drum of Xahutec
The Becalming Cogitation
The Focused Rumination

Saurus Scar-Veteran (Battle Standard Bearer) - 150 Pts
Light Armour
Sword of Might
Enchanted Shield

Skink Priest - 150 Pts
Level 2 Upgrad
Dispel Scroll
Rod of the Storm

19 Saurus Warriors - 258 Pts
Full Command
Spears

19 Temple Guard - 395 Pts
Full Command
Sun Standard of Chotec

Stegadon - 235 Pts

5 Cold One Cavalry @ 250 Pts
Full Command
Huanchi's Blessed Totem

Total Cost: 1983

Gives you some stuff to play with, but if you dont like this list, just say

Elblanco
01-05-2009, 00:02
I wouldn't take a full command in a saurus unit or a CoR unit, due to the cost of the champs and only getting one extra attack, just use the standard and musician, since champs don't do anything with CR.

Necromancy Black
01-05-2009, 00:58
DO NOT take COR champions, especially when you take a unit of 5.

firstly, they only give you a single extra attack which cost's 20 points!

Secondly, you will not get a Look Out Sir in the unit as champions count as characters for shooting. This is very bad for Mr Scar-Vet on a cold one should he get hit by a cannon ball. Learnt this the hard way.

Ancre
01-05-2009, 14:52
I might be wrong but you can't have a shield on a BSB, even a magical one. The Cold One option might be a good idea for him instead.

LegendFX
01-05-2009, 17:53
The Saurussen will ge t a Champ, but I already have been told that CoR do not really need them. I'm still stuck with the list however, but I'll blame my inexperience when it comes to fantasy.

And as promised, the link to the painting blog.
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3510221#post3510221

bob_the_small
01-05-2009, 17:59
I might be wrong but you can't have a shield on a BSB, even a magical one. The Cold One option might be a good idea for him instead.

You can so long as you dont take a magical banner

Necromancy Black
02-05-2009, 00:14
You can take a shield if you are the BSB. Hell, your free to take a Great Weapon. But you can't have a magical shield if you've got a magical banner.

LegendFX
02-05-2009, 19:22
Ok, two of my buddies helped me with the list, here is what I'll be playing at a 1000 point army:

Heroes:
Scar Veteran: - 139 Points
- Great Weapon
- Light Armour
- Shield
- Glyph Necklace
- Venom of the FIrefly Frog

Skink Priest: - 115 Points
- Dispell scroll
- Diadem

Core:
17 Saurus Warriors: 234 Points
- Spears
- Full Command

11 Skinks: - 77 Points
Blowpipes

11 Skinks: - 77 Points
Blowpipes

Special:
Stegadon: - 235 Points

Rare:
4 Terradon Riders: - 120 Points

Onidan
03-05-2009, 19:48
Looks good, similar to what IŽd play tbh ^^

But just fyi: Terradons are special as well, our only rares are Ancient, Salamander and Razordon :P

LegendFX
03-05-2009, 20:43
Hola Crapola, you are right batman!

But onwards to the 1500, what to add, what to add.....

bob_the_small
03-05-2009, 21:03
more magic, more saurus, STEGADONS!

Papa JJ
03-05-2009, 21:27
My understanding is that a BSB is usually restricted from taking a shield. For example, The Empire army book states in the army list itself that, "The battle standard bearer cannot choose any non-magical equipment except for light, heavy or full plate armour and/or barding for his steed." I did however check the Lizardmen book to make sure it was the same and was surprised to see no such limitation. Whether this was an accidental omission or not, I suppose it is legit even if it doesn't make particular sense to me.

Necromancy Black
03-05-2009, 22:33
Whether this was an accidental omission or not, I suppose it is legit even if it doesn't make particular sense to me.

High Elves, Dark Elves, WoC...none of these restrict you from taking a shield with your BSB.

Papa JJ
05-05-2009, 16:35
High Elves, Dark Elves, WoC...none of these restrict you from taking a shield with your BSB.

I don't understand what the rationale would be for this. Do you suppose more armies in the future will be allowed this or do you think this is more likely to be just another example of GW's inconsistency between army books?

W0lf
05-05-2009, 16:40
Its a new thing that started with High elves in 7th.

BSBs are no longer restricted on mundane weapons/armour. They could release a Errata to allow all books to do it (as is obv the plan) but they havnt.

Dungeon_Lawyer
05-05-2009, 19:01
The best scar vet IMO is=

Scar-vet, Great Weapon,Hide of the cold ones.

Very tough for a hero, and he's dishing out strength 7 with a 3+ armour save.

Thats good but I humbly put forward this build as better.

scar-vet, cold-one mount, light armor, enchanted sheild, venom of firefly frog, great weapon . Now he's dishing out strength 7 attacks which are poisonous & magical, with a 0 armour save, causes fear, and has increased mobility to 7" (14" on a charge,march), plus the attacks of the cold one mount.

And if you need to strike first his hand weapon which came standard with the initial purchase is coated in the venom as well, so it benefits from being magical/poisonous too....Its a killer build at only 138 points.

Ancre
05-05-2009, 23:11
The great weapon on cavalry only grant +1 strenght now, or am I again wrong ? (sorry for the last mistake folks !)

LegendFX
10-05-2009, 22:49
Ok, so, question. Krox's. 3 of them wandering around. Good idea in a 1500 point list?

Gork or Possibly Mork
10-05-2009, 23:16
Ok, so, question. Krox's. 3 of them wandering around. Good idea in a 1500 point list?

There not bad. One of our better fast options for dealing with good AS and high toughness besides Stegs, Carnosaurs and Slann magic. Coldones can punch through good armour but Krox do it better. With portant cast on krox they become very dangerous indeed.

To be honest I use Coldones most of the time but Krox are good. I like to use skink screens with them and setup charges.

Necromancy Black
11-05-2009, 02:55
The great weapon on cavalry only grant +1 strenght now, or am I again wrong ? (sorry for the last mistake folks !)

No your not, they are. On a cold one Saurus characters are only Str6 with a GW.

Also at I 3, they are rarely ever going to strike first, but using a HW would mean those 15 points ont he enchanted shield arn't wasted.

Personally, Phirana Blade + Enchanted shield is the way to go for a Cold One mounted Scar-Vet. Good way of always getting max overkill in challenges and taking out hero's with a single wound :D