PDA

View Full Version : Don't Understand Some Things in the Tau Codex

Morglum5780
30-04-2009, 21:49
So, i am just getting into the tau, and dont have much experience playing 4th or 5th ed 40k. Looking through the codex I see a lot of items referring to rules that are outdated (or maybe i think are outdated, but missed in the 5th ed rule book). Like things that refer to 'target priority tests' or 'obscured vehicles'. Is there some thread somewhere that deals with these situations and how they work in the current edition (if at all)?

Thanks.

P.S. I tried searching for this, but for some reason the word 'tau' brings up zero results on Warseer O.o

P.P.S. Wasn't sure if this should be posted here or in rules forums.

chinnfrequent
30-04-2009, 21:54
Rules probably.

Outdated rules like target priority are ignored, obscured vehicle means it's in cover.

Vedar
30-04-2009, 22:21
While we are on it i think some Tau units have like (1+) next to them. I think the fire warriors or a HQ choice has this. Does anyone know what this means?

susu.exp
30-04-2009, 22:37
Target priority tests have been removed in 5th Edition. Just ignore the reference to it under the Target lock (i.e. you may simply fire at different targets). Under 4th Edition you had to pass a Ld test to fire at anything but the closest unit. The rules there state that you only do one test, even if both targets aren´t the closest enemy. Under 5th - no test.
The same applies to markerlights. If you don´t need to test, auto-passing the test stops being important...
Obscured vehicles is still in the 5th Edition - look under the rules for shooting at vehicles. A Disruption pod gives your vehicles a 5+ cover safe under the conditions named.

1+ means that at least one of these units must be taken. I.e. you can´t have a Tau army without at least one unit of FWs or a commander in a suit. A Farsight army must still include one normal suit commander (and Crisis suitas also become 1+), an army led by Shaddowsun doesn´t (her rules specifically state that the 1+ is removed from the Crisis commander if she is taken).

Bloodknight
30-04-2009, 22:41
@Vedar: it means that you must field at least one of these units each. (I think it's the Commander and Fire Warriors).

ehlijen
30-04-2009, 22:42
If there is any number(s) next to a unit name that is the range of times you are allowed to take that unit in your army.
Ie
1+: You are allowed to take one ore more (ie you are not allowed to take 0)
0-1: You are allowed to take from 0 to 1
1-2: You are allowed to take from 1 to 2
etc.

The disruption pod does not state a cover save value, so the default save of 4+ is used (not 5+).

Ivellis
30-04-2009, 22:48
I'm pretty sure errata has made Farsight count as your 1+ Battle Suit Commander.

Grimtuff
30-04-2009, 22:56
I'm pretty sure errata has made Farsight count as your 1+ Battle Suit Commander.

Nope.

Silly isn't it. But thems the rules.

@OP: Warseer's search function can only handle 4 characters or more IIRC. ;)

Yarick Zan
30-04-2009, 23:07
Nope.

Silly isn't it. But thems the rules.

@OP: Warseer's search function can only handle 4 characters or more IIRC. ;)

Check the Shrine of knowledge again there Grimtuff.

Q. Does an army including Commander O’Shova
also need to include the mandatory Commander
from the list (as they are 1+)?
A. No, as O’Shova is a Commander himself, and so
he fulfills that minimum requirement.

ehlijen
30-04-2009, 23:11
Not that you wouldn't want to take another crisis suit commander anyway. You've got 1.5k points to fill with little to fill them with but firewarriors and crisis suits (most other things are 0-1 if you take farsight) and nothing else to fill that second HQ slot. So why not take the best kind of crisis suit points can buy?

Yarick Zan
30-04-2009, 23:18
Not that you wouldn't want to take another crisis suit commander anyway. You've got 1.5k points to fill with little to fill them with but firewarriors and crisis suits (most other things are 0-1 if you take farsight) and nothing else to fill that second HQ slot. So why not take the best kind of crisis suit points can buy?

Heh. The thing is there is no such thing as the best crisis suit. Everyone has it's own unique purpose and design. Sure the fireknife is a good jack of all trades. But like the saying goes, jack of all trades, master of none. It's best point is it's mediocrity. It doesn't excel at anything, therefore it's the best at nothing.

Don't get me wrong, it is a useful suit and you can probably find at least one in any army I field. Though I think I will take a more diverse mix of suits than most people.

Xelloss
30-04-2009, 23:21
Target priority tests have been removed in 5th Edition.

Remplace by : Target priority tests are only done by Black Templars in 5th Edition (and with a malus)

MajorWesJanson
30-04-2009, 23:22
Heh. The thing is there is no such thing as the best crisis suit. Everyone has it's own unique purpose and design. Sure the fireknife is a good jack of all trades. But like the saying goes, jack of all trades, master of none. It's best point is it's mediocrity. It doesn't excel at anything, therefore it's the best at nothing.

Don't get me wrong, it is a useful suit and you can probably find at least one in any army I field. Though I think I will take a more diverse mix of suits than most people.

Deathrain is pretty popular, but I personally like Firestorm suits. Cheap, but flexable.

Yarick Zan
30-04-2009, 23:25
Deathrain is pretty popular, but I personally like Firestorm suits. Cheap, but flexable.

I like the Firestorm a lot too. My current commander is set up to be a Firestorm. Though that might change as soon as I finish making some new battle suits....as soon as I get some greenstuff....which I ordered today. Details in my PLOG in my sig.

Tastyfish
30-04-2009, 23:27

Honestly? The Farsight list opperates in a peculiar middle ground as far as point go as the force limitations really start to hit hard once you can actually afford more than one unit of Broadsides and a Hammerhead. Crisis commanders and their bodyguards may be the best suits but they are generally less efficient than their Elite slot equivalents. Its pretty much only the Fireknife (Plasma, missile pod and multi-tracker) that comes out on top when you compare the increase in killing power compared to the increase in points (even with access to targetting arrays and hardwired systems). And in that 1500-2000 range it opperates best in you might find that you don't have the points to spare once taking a Farsight and his Bodyguard (ranging from a modest 700 up to the full 1000+ force).

Firestorm (Missile pod and Burstcannon) are definitely worth looking at, far as generalists go (as they are good against pretty much everything at a very convenient range band). Fire Knife (plasma and missile) are good in a eq heavy environment but are a lot harder to use if those Meq armies have access to fleet or other fast troops. Deathrain (twinlinked missile and something else, ususally flamer or black sun filter) I've honestly never liked, the points saved versus the versatility of the platform never seemed like a good deal to me - especially now that 5th ed provides some real use for a inverted Death rain - Twin linked Flamer and missile pod. Missile pods are a must on almost every suit, as its an excellently versatile weapon system that provides a niche that otherwise the Tau lack (taking out a large number of vehicles) - a twin linked though is now one of the most dangerous weapons availble to a crisis suit (though admittedly still tricky to use), more effective than a plasma rifle against marines at close range with templates automatically hitting anyone touched by them.

MajorWesJanson
30-04-2009, 23:39
I like the Firestorm a lot too. My current commander is set up to be a Firestorm. Though that might change as soon as I finish making some new battle suits....as soon as I get some greenstuff....which I ordered today. Details in my PLOG in my sig.

My commander uses the ABFL and a missile pod, whatever that mix is called. I hope that and the CIB are not special issue next codex :D

ehlijen
01-05-2009, 00:16
Yarick Zan: By best I meant the one's with the best ld and BS.

And I consider having a few ld9+ units important enough in an otherwise ld8 army to consider shas'els and shas'os to be the better choice when compared to shas'uis and shas'vres.
For 20 points an 'el gains +1BS, +1ld, +1W, +1I and +1A over an 'ui team leader. When considering more than raw killing power, that is a very good deal.

Pink Horror
01-05-2009, 00:21

What's with you Tau guys and all the different names for suits? I'm a big nerd, but for some reason, that is so nerdy that it crosses a line, even for me.

Ivellis
01-05-2009, 00:27
What's with you Tau guys and all the different names for suits? I'm a big nerd, but for some reason, that is so nerdy that it crosses a line, even for me.

What's wrong with cool quick reference names for different Crisis Suit configurations? It's much easier than saying "I like my Crisis Suits with a Plasma Rifle, Burst Cannon and Hard-wired Multi Trackers."

Grimtuff
01-05-2009, 00:33
Check the Shrine of knowledge again there Grimtuff.

They changed that recently then. That was a nice stealth errata...

There was a question in a previously published one that cited Shadowsun as counting as a 1+ commander but not Farsight, as this was what the codex said.

C'est la vie. :rolleyes:

Yarick Zan
01-05-2009, 00:45
Well I had to double check and make sure it had really changed. It is almost exactly the same as it used to be.

Pink Horror
01-05-2009, 01:02
What's wrong with cool quick reference names for different Crisis Suit configurations? It's much easier than saying "I like my Crisis Suits with a Plasma Rifle, Burst Cannon and Hard-wired Multi Trackers."

The memorization factor. And it doesn't meet my definition of "cool". Dorky or nerdy is much more accurate. I feel like enough of a dweeb when I play this game. I try to avoid pushing it.

Ivellis
01-05-2009, 02:35
The memorization factor. And it doesn't meet my definition of "cool". Dorky or nerdy is much more accurate. I feel like enough of a dweeb when I play this game. I try to avoid pushing it.

Then you seem to have selfesteem problems that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Pink Horror
01-05-2009, 02:45
Um, no I don't. It simply takes away from the enjoyment of the game when it gets too serious or nerdy. Maybe I worded it a little too self-deprecatingly, but the point is, it does not sound cool. It sounds goofy.

Kushan Blackrazor
01-05-2009, 02:56
Um, no I don't. It simply takes away from the enjoyment of the game when it gets too serious or nerdy. Maybe I worded it a little too self-deprecatingly, but the point is, it does not sound cool. It sounds goofy.

Sounds like you take it a bit too seriously, then. :)

Pink Horror
01-05-2009, 03:01
Sounds like you take it a bit too seriously, then. :)

Sometimes. I wouldn't know how it felt if I never did so. ;)

Oh, I might as well also state that reading the Tau codex is a mess. GW should clean it up and release an update (sort of like the Dark Eldar) that doesn't really change anything, except make stuff clearer with 5th.

Draconian77
01-05-2009, 03:05
Sometimes. I wouldn't know how it felt if I never did so. ;)

Oh, I might as well also state that reading the Tau codex is a mess. GW should clean it up and release an update (sort of like the Dark Eldar) that doesn't really change anything, except make stuff clearer with 5th.

6th edition then arrives ruining everything for another 3-4 years.

Online army books GW, think about it!

Gearhead
01-05-2009, 04:35
The names are just slang, I know about seven(Centurion, Fireknife, Burning Eye, Sunforge, Deathrain, Firestorm, and the one with FB PR). If I don't know one and It's mentioned I usually assume that it's made up. I don't mind if it's goofy, we have a tactic called the fish of fury for pete's sake, suit slang is probably the last thing to worry about.

Bekenel
01-05-2009, 07:34
All slang invented by the internet for 40k usually sucks anyway. I know, I know, the Tau battlesuit names come from a White Dwarf (apparently), but ATT made a series of naming conventions based on that. And seriously, Fish of Fury? That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

A new one too, the "DAVU" - Dire Avenger Vehicle Upgrade. 5 man Dire Avenger squad, makes a vehicle "scoring". It's a powergamey idea, for a start (buying a squad *just* to make a very survivable tank able to take objectives), but to give a daft name too?

Corrode
01-05-2009, 09:16
ITT we decide that convenient nicknames for units are way too geeky, what with the fact that we're all surrounded by Playmates when we play and need to keep them interested.

Grimtuff
01-05-2009, 09:45
Well I had to double check and make sure it had really changed. It is almost exactly the same as it used to be.

Well, lets just say the last time I viewed a Tau FAQ was a loooong time ago until last night. ;)

Yarick Zan
01-05-2009, 14:45
Look if you feel ashamed about playing a game in any way then already you have some serious issues. Sure some people take the game far too seriously but you get that with just about anything. Fantasy Football anyone?

That being said, as was said earlier saying someting like Fireknife is a lot easier than typing out "Crisis battlesuit with plasma rifle, missile pod, etc." so that is why I use it.

Captain Micha
01-05-2009, 14:49
Tau abbreviations make our lives so much easier.

Fireknife, Deathrain and all that, quick and easy to understand.

Also if you are feeling ashamed of your hobby you need to examine yourself on a deep level. Why do you feel this way?

Morglum5780
01-05-2009, 17:33
geeks who dont think they are geeks **** me off :)

MMO players are the worst offenders of this.

Xandros
01-05-2009, 17:42
I think of them as addicts. Myself included.

AndrewGPaul
01-05-2009, 17:49
Is there some sort of glossary explaining what these terms mean? Or do you just have to guess? :)

Cato Sicarius
01-05-2009, 17:53

MMO players are the worst offenders of this.

Agreed. But when it comes to nerds like 40K players there is no line to toe.

On to the matter at hand: I do believe that if you fully read the Shadowsun entry (and I mean check every detail) you should find a spot that states that she counts as the 1+ Commander that is needed for the army.

Yarick Zan
01-05-2009, 22:09
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/tau-empire/69791-crisis-suit-configurations.html

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Battlesuit#Sept_Armament_Variations

Good places to find out what the configurations are.

Asi the Red
01-05-2009, 22:46
What's with you Tau guys and all the different names for suits?
It's not us, GW made things that way. There used to be a page in the Tau Articles section that listed all the "official" CSuit configs (with their different names), but since the new site re-org it's either gone or moved.

Pink Horror
02-05-2009, 00:40
I'm a big nerd, but for some reason, that is so nerdy that it crosses a line, even for me.

Isn't a geek or nerd allowed some self-awareness?

I'm pissed off when someone doesn't take the time to actually read a comment before getting angry at a non-existent meaning.

I'm amused when a geek calls something "cool", when it is only cool to people who are nearly as uncool as humans can possibly be. I play really nerdy games and do a whole bunch of other nerdy things, and I'm proud of it, but Internet slang... I still have taste.

The short names could be the more obvious stuff like for marines, like a las/plas squad. But Deathrain? I'm not using it as slang. TL Pods + gun drones might be a few more characters, but it's understandable without a "Lexicanum". (Made-up Latin is not impressive either.)

And that thing in there about being a base-8 number system, but using 8 everywhere (base 8 would use 0-7) makes this nerd want to rage.

Ivellis
02-05-2009, 01:03
Pink Horror, you're digging yourself a hole. I think you're taking the configuration names much to seriously.

AngryAngel
02-05-2009, 01:31
?? I really think your putting too much thought into this. If you don't like the Tau names for suit weapon configs thats fine. Saying somehow it crosses the invisable line, to quote the dude, thats just like your opinion man.

The names sound cool, to people who like them, two people fluent in what the names mean ( I am not one of them ) Could have a very nice and relatively quick conversation using them in discussion of suit uses and weapon load outs. If you think it "Crosses the line" hey don't use them.

Most people make up slangs or quick ways of talking of similar things. The army does it all the time to talk about diffrent weapon load outs on a vehicle, or a particular troop type.

Why keep ramming the point home you don't like it ? We get it, we can move on. I do suggest you re-evaluate yourself a little before slinging mud at others. I think people who can't let simple things slide cross the line.

We all have our opinions, thing is most people don't care about them.

That said, keep up the good fight with the deathrains, and the firestorms, and the Ionstorms, and the fireknives and all the others I can't remember.

Pink Horror
02-05-2009, 07:10
I keep "ramming the point home" because people keep addressing my opinion. One guy seemed to say he was pissed off about it. Stop trying to argue it, and I'll have nothing left to say about it, honest.

Taking them too seriously? I've dealt with them twice in my entire life: when I tried to read the Tau tactics thread and stopped because I didn't know what the names meant. And here, for about 10 minutes of my life. I didn't memorize them, but others did. That means I'm taking them less seriously than most people in this thread.