PDA

View Full Version : IG, What to get

tacoo
01-05-2009, 01:34
Ok if anyone remembers, about 2 months ago i was going to start a IG army, but i got told just to wait untill the new codex came out. ok well now that its coming out in a couple days i figured i'll start collecting them now. so far i got about 220 after the codex is bought so i figured i would get this. keep in mind i order from The War Store, so its all 20% off

3x cadain command squads-$60
4x cadain shock troopers-$70
1x leamon russ-32
1x basilisk-32

getting tis will allow me to field the HQ and 2 basic troop choices, plus give me a leamon russ and basilisk to modify into what ever tank i want. is this good for starters or should i get somthing else to start with.

Imperius
01-05-2009, 01:48
For starters the Basilisk isn't so great, its incredibly fragile and has to be well defended. Might I recommend dropping the Basilisk, 1 Commad Squad and 20 Shock Troopers for a Battleforce and an extra Sentinel?

tacoo
01-05-2009, 02:07
i was planing on midifing the basilisk into one of there other artillary units, i was also debating dropping it for a valk. the battleforce doesnt come out untill the 16th, and im hoping to get this order down alot sooner then that. i figured that i would order the battleforce later on for expanding.

EVIL INC
01-05-2009, 02:13
See if you can get your mitts on one of the old battleforce boxes.

tacoo
01-05-2009, 02:17
i hope i can, if luck goes my way, ill find a army on ebay close to waht i want.

Jackmojo
01-05-2009, 04:18
Are you gonna be buying more stuff pretty soon, or is this your army budget for the time being?

I'd think you want some chimera's personally.

Jack

40kdhs
01-05-2009, 04:57
Valkery is the final answer.

Voleron
01-05-2009, 05:57
Valkery is the final answer.
No, it isn't.

For a new, starting army there are a lot better ideas. Namely, filling the Mandatory HQ + 2 Troops, for starters.
It's not a good idea to go blowing a huge pile of money on something like that before you've even got a viable army.

Go with your original plan for a solid core force, and /then/ consider fancy gubbinz like the Valkyrie later.

tacoo
01-05-2009, 19:48
that is the plan, im gettin the leamen russ so i have one to know how to build some scratch built ones and the basilisk to do the same there, and both would be modified to what ever tank i want.

Awilla the Hun
01-05-2009, 20:51
What to get? (Thinks.)

Firstly, to the Tactica Imperium. We don't bite!

Secondly some heavy weapons. You will need them.

Thirdly, some sort of counter assault unit. Some players swear by their flamer toting command squads, but I'm not one of them; sometimes, there are a couple of guardsmen left behind that mean you can't just shoot the enemy to death. Ogryns, Rough Riders, or maybe even just some advisors and appropriately equipped veterans to tool your Company Command up could do the job just fine.

(Oh, and whilst you're at it: make your commander look as cool as possible!)

Now you have a good, solid core. You army can shoot, it can resist (and deal out, if possible) assault, it has a good, solid core of infantry to work around. After this, get whatever interesting bits you desire!

tacoo
01-05-2009, 21:35
ya ogryns were high priorties, i was planning on lookinf in WHFB for some orger looking things since orgryins dont really look that good

TheDarkDuke
01-05-2009, 21:39
2 Battle forces and an extra command box is a great start for any IG army. That combo can make platoons or that can be used to field HQ Command and 6 Vet Squads mixing and matching special weapons and heavy weapons where ever you want them, and you get two sentinel.

LordofWar1986
01-05-2009, 21:42
If you are able to get your hands on any of the previous battleforce boxes....GET THEM!! they are great for any fresh IG recruit, and a couple command boxes to top it all off.