PDA

View Full Version : Best Giant?

Charistoph
01-05-2009, 06:09
With all the Giant monsters out there, which one is the best Giant out there?

Is it the bare bones Giant?

It's Chaotic version?

Ogre's Slave Giant?

Tomb Kings Bone Giant?

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth?

Treeman?

Steam Tank?

What are your thoughts?

PinkFellSquig
01-05-2009, 06:20
Why is the Steam Tank even on this list? Shouldn't we bear in mind that the Empire has every right to a DoW Giant?

EDIT: Also, which should Tomb Kings take? They can have the "bare bones" DoW Giant, or the REALLY Bare Bones Bone Giant.

ADDENDUM: Chaotic version rocks for variety and the army special rules, as well as *CHOMP*.
Slave Giant sucks a bit due to the loss of Giant-specific benefits. Do love the "chains," though.
Shaggoths are neat in some ways, but on many missions could be replaced by a squadron of Dragon Ogres. You don't always need a ball-busting S7.
Treeman are very resilient, bark orders at their rooted cousins, and shoot roots at you - awesome.

My votes are for Treeman, Chaos Giant, and DoW Giant in that order.

I'm leaving the Steam Tank out of this since it's an impact-hitter with a cannon on it - clearly just a War Machine.

PinkFellSquig
01-05-2009, 06:31
ADDENDUM II:

Now, having gone back to read the Tomb Kings book, I'm changing my list to...

Treeman, Bone Giant, Chaos Giant, DoW Giant.

Bone Giant's ability to be its own tarpit and shrug off enemy attacks, as well as the ability to lay down a formidable number of attacks itself are a little scary. However, if he's outmaneuvered he doesn't have much else going for him (other than Terror). Treeman narrowly beats this guy out for its shooting and magical abilities.

~J~

Big Ned
01-05-2009, 06:32
The old marauder giant

http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mb07giantwd124b.jpg

PinkFellSquig
01-05-2009, 07:16
Touché... I didn't think to interpret this as a "best model" contest.

OP - What was the intent of this thread?
~J~

sulla
01-05-2009, 07:30
Chaos giant... strikes first, -1 to hit or s7. Apparently there's another god as well, but I heard he only blesses mages on disks and daemon princes.;)

Sleazy
01-05-2009, 07:34
I too saw this as best model, in which case best GW one is the Marauder Giant. Best giant altogether is the Ultraforge one.

Honorable mention should go to the new Black Scorpion pirate giant.

Condottiere
01-05-2009, 07:43
There are also the Giants of Albion.

Urgat
01-05-2009, 08:34
Well, they wouldn't get my vote, they're just too horrible to build. I mean, the arms are separated at the elbows? Have you seen the thinness of those?

Keller
01-05-2009, 12:23
I like the Bone Giant, especially if you allow the optional rules for the bolt-thrower bow.

My votes would be:
Treeman, Chaos Giant, Bone Giant.

O&G'sRule
01-05-2009, 12:45
There are also the Giants of Albion.

No there aren't they never existed. Nope no I won't have it

Rules wise the Orcs and goblin giant was the best until the WoC book came out and allowed you to mark it and regenerate, Model wise the marauder by miles

Fenrir
01-05-2009, 12:54
Giant Spider.

valdrog
01-05-2009, 13:01
Bone giant is extremely overpriced at 220 points, his unstopable assault rule
looks great on paper, but then you notice that he has a WS 3, so you are htiting pretty much evrything on 4s. And when you compare him to the other TK choices... Screaming Skull catapult (best warmachine in the game ) or the
Casket of Souls...taking a Bone Giant becomes a very slim possibility.

I vote for the Regular Giant, Thump with club on a Treemen or Steamtank works wonders. In one game mine had a Dwarf lord, Rune smith andThane BSB down his trousers :)

dijit80
01-05-2009, 13:07
Whilst we're talking of giants, does anyone know if the DoW giants rules are still up anywhere?

If you take the Giants of Albion you not only get 2 giants but also a lvl1 wizard for 40pts. I'm assuming of course that the DoW giants and Albion giants have the same profile.

W0lf
01-05-2009, 13:27
Easily the slave giant.

Followed closely by the Shaggoth.

Charistoph
01-05-2009, 13:40
OP - What was the intent of this thread?
~J~

Mostly curiosity, partially to see if it's worth getting an army with a Giant, and to see which armies I'm looking at have the best Giant, gameplay-wise.

Malorian
01-05-2009, 14:35
Bone giant is extremely overpriced at 220 points, his unstopable assault rule
looks great on paper, but then you notice that he has a WS 3, so you are htiting pretty much evrything on 4s. And when you compare him to the other TK choices... Screaming Skull catapult (best warmachine in the game ) or the
Casket of Souls...taking a Bone Giant becomes a very slim possibility.

When you take into account that this giant is just 15 more points than a regular giant but has a 3+ save, can be healed, and magically moved around I think he's a solid choice.

And if you don't like the model just grab the (He-Man) Skeletor model and have the coolest giant ever :D

Bac5665
01-05-2009, 15:08
When you take into account that this giant is just 15 more points than a regular giant but has a 3+ save, can be healed, and magically moved around I think he's a solid choice.

And if you take into account that he does less damage, crumbles rather than stubborn Ld 10, and can't flee, I think that the trade is at best even, and probably a lot worse off for the bone giant overall.

slasher
01-05-2009, 15:10
Nope the best one is this one

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/warmammoth.htm

:P

Malorian
01-05-2009, 15:15
And if you take into account that he does less damage, crumbles rather than stubborn Ld 10, and can't flee, I think that the trade is at best even, and probably a lot worse off for the bone giant overall.

Meh, the damage he does is debatable. It's just as random as the damage the giant does but at least you know he will be attacking. When your regular giant just yells or reaches forward and gets his hand stabbed it can't be really annoying... and when you can magically hit a flank who needs to do damage anyway ;)

Crumbling... well this is a good point but he shouldn't lose by much and then there is the -1 modifier, and in a way it is sometimes better to crumble a bit than the possibility to fail that stubborn 10 test.

I always feel giants should be working on their own anyway and should be supported by other units anyway, but when you are using them as a tar pit you are absolutely right.

valdrog
01-05-2009, 15:23
The thing that makes the Bone Giant an epic fail is that he's WS 3 and that he's competing vs the Screaming Skull catapult.

Duke Georgal
01-05-2009, 15:36
If you are talking models, the giant by Ultraforge looks amazing, although I have yet to see it in person.

Rules wise, the slave giant seems like a bargain for the points cost.

I never bring a giant in my Orcs & Goblins anymore. I like having more Orcs!

Shimmergloom
01-05-2009, 15:39
I think the list should only be real giants.

So dow giant, greenskin giant, chaos Woc Giant, Beasts giant, slavegiant and bone giant.

I would put WoC chaos #1 cause of the chomp ability and being able to be marked. While also ItP(which is can be a bad thing sometimes).

Greenskins comes next, because while it's not ItP like the woc giant, it's nearly is ItP. Plus being able to flee can be a good thing sometimes. It also has great panic rules.

3rd is bone giant, because while it doesn't have the better rules of the previous 2, it can still be healed and has better rules than the following.

Beast giant. Don't have the new cool things of the WoC giant. However it can be mutated to get an armor save. But it also has the worst panic rules of the bunch before it. Since a beast giant can be panicked by a unit of mino's or trolls breaking or being destroyed near it.

The DoW giant is next, it also has the same terrible panic rules that the beast giant has. In addition it cannot be mutated like a beast giant can.

Finally is the lowly slavegiant. It's not stubborn, has the much, much worse chain attack vs the thump with club ones. It's main high point is being 175pts(the same as a hydra) vs the 205+ points of the other varieties.

dijit80
01-05-2009, 15:41
Whilst we're talking of giants, does anyone know if the DoW giants rules are still up anywhere?

If you take the Giants of Albion you not only get 2 giants but also a lvl1 wizard for 40pts. I'm assuming of course that the DoW giants and Albion giants have the same profile.

By a fluck chance I happened to find this:
Giant Rules (https://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=&categoryId=300005&pIndex=3&aId=3400027&start=4)
They're still up and at the bottom of that page.

Malorian
01-05-2009, 15:44
The thing that makes the Bone Giant an epic fail is that he's WS 3 and that he's competing vs the Screaming Skull catapult.

We aren't talking about them being compared to other things in the list, we are comparing them to other giants.

Charistoph
01-05-2009, 16:19
I think the list should only be real giants.

The Steam Tank was as much joke as it was the closest "Giant" you can find (besides DoW) for the Empire.

But the Treeman is a Giant Drayd or a Giant Treekin, that's why they were included in the list.

Lafkak
01-05-2009, 16:35
My vote goes to the sad little Bone Giant (mine's named Fat Albert). SSC may be a better choice, but BGs make me much happier ^_^ esp. seeing 2 on the table in 3k points.

They may not be omgwtfbbqawesome, but the Unstoppable Assault rule really makes opponents worry. The 3+ AS also really helps vs. poison, etc.

I once had a Bone Giant (5 Attacks, now, mind) do 13 Wounds on a unit it charged. OM NOM NOM

Cypher, the Emperor
01-05-2009, 17:21
I like the chaos giant, because he can be ASF.
Never doubt the power of being able to shove someone down your pants REALLY FAST.

Malorian
01-05-2009, 17:25
I like the chaos giant, because he can be ASF.
Never doubt the power of being able to shove someone down your pants REALLY FAST.

When you have a slaanesh giant pushing you into his crotch it's never going to end well...

popisdead
01-05-2009, 17:59
treeman ancient with netlings or slaanesh giant.

a fast moving bone giant is a pain too

Shimmergloom
01-05-2009, 19:50
I consider giants having been from the giant race. A bone giant would count cause it is unlikely an undead giant.

A treeman, while gigantic is not from the race of giants, so that's why I wouldn't count it. If you're going to include a treeman, you might as well include things like greater daemons and princes. Since they are just giant versions of regular daemons.

bob_the_small
01-05-2009, 20:36
Chaos giant /w mark of slaanesh rules!

Charistoph
01-05-2009, 22:46
...If you're going to include a treeman, you might as well include things like greater daemons and princes. Since they are just giant versions of regular daemons.

Greater Daemons and Daemon Princes can be almost any size. If I was wondering about Large Target models, I would include Dragons, Wyverns, etc.

I guess it would be a more specific question to ask:

What is your favorite Rare, Large Target, non-mounted, non-handled, Monster Unit?

Is that better?

ethsar46
01-05-2009, 23:24
IMO the Slaanesh marked WoC giant is the best hands down.

Ive seen one take down a full wounds Bloodthirster, funniest thing ive ever seen, it got an ASF chomp which did 2 wounds, then the BT killed the giant, which fell over on the BT and did another 3 wounds.

ASF giant is such a big threat if you dont have shooting.

PuddingLord
02-05-2009, 14:07
The old marauder giant

http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mb07giantwd124b.jpg

Well said! I always loved that model. Granted, it's a little more cartoony than the current one, but if I ever get a giant in my army I plan to convert the face to Old Unibrow here. It's like his head is a bush with skin-bits sticking out.