PDA

View Full Version : bloodcurdling roar am i missing something?

Mullitron
01-05-2009, 21:10
Ive noticed quite a few list with characters, mainly casters with this chaos gift. I dont think its a bad gift but i fail to see why soo many list seems to have it. Is it just me or does this gift have a use that iam missing? For quick reference it allows the character to do 2d6 strength 1 hits on a unit in los in the shooting phase with no save, range 18> if someone could enlighten me as to why its such a popular choice and maybe even extend this thread with tactics for gift?

Oberon
01-05-2009, 21:15
Well, often only one wound from the roar is enough. You just have to roar something valuable, and the most important bit of the gift is that no armour saves-part. You don't want to see your enemy rolling ~7 dice when sixes kill your expensive knights, in a unit of 5-6 models that could be crippling. I use the roar with sorc lord on a disc, gives him one more ranged attack in addittion to spells, nice for shaving off wounds from knights and sniping lone characters etc. Roar is also cheap and easy to use&find a use for, some other gifts seem to be (and often are) much more useless (and expensive).

Shiodome
01-05-2009, 21:23
i see it on sorcerors riding discs of tzeentch. it's pretty effecttive for hunting warmachine crew and light cavalry. warmachine crew normally being low toughness and low in number (and no armour, though can't remember if this gift ignores armour anyway?).

with flickering fire in the magic phase and this in the shooting phase the sorceror has a decent chance of dealing with 2 support units a turn. last time i played WoC the sorceror took out 6 squig hoppers and a spear chukka with those 2 on the first turn (against a strong magical defence O&G list), and would have carried on doing this with impunity if a doomdiver hadn't gloriously sacrificed himself for the cause :P

also i wouldn't be surprised if many took it just to have a presence on the shooting phase, even if the reason is subconscious... i know i like to do something every phase.

Eta
01-05-2009, 21:25
Well, often only one wound from the roar is enough. You just have to roar something valuable, and the most important bit of the gift is that no armour saves-part. You don't want to see your enemy rolling ~7 dice when sixes kill your expensive knights, in a unit of 5-6 models that could be crippling. I use the roar with sorc lord on a disc, gives him one more ranged attack in addittion to spells, nice for shaving off wounds from knights and sniping lone characters etc. Roar is also cheap and easy to use&find a use for, some other gifts seem to be (and often are) much more useless (and expensive).

What he says. Killing one knight usually means you made your points back with it. In addition, even killing one or two cheap troopers with it can pay off when your opponent's unit loses a rank a therefore will lose an upcoming combat.

Greetings
Eta

MarcoPollo
01-05-2009, 21:27
Well there is nothing especially great about it. The thing with WoC, sorcerors tend to be favored as hero choices. And some of the best sorcerors are one on discs. they are used as missile batteries that can scoot around the battlefield and pick off targets. So the blood roar is used as an extra missile to hunt down and hurt knights and things with low T like skinks, and some swarms. Plus it is an auto hit, so that's pretty good too.

Mercules
01-05-2009, 21:38
I sniped a Skaven Ratling gun with it. 2d6 hits against 1 model means a good chance of doing that 1 wound even when needed to roll a 5 or 6. Otherwise it is handy for picking off the one model needed to undo a rank bonus.

It doesn't do a LOT of damage, but the no AS really hurts as mentioned about. Against To 3-4 armies you need to roll 6s to wound, but it usually kills what it wounds. It also doesn't require a roll to hit. Very nice against things that are hard to hit like Skirmishers.

hfb
02-05-2009, 00:34
A mate uses it (like everyone) on his Disc-riding sorc. My Skink Skirmishers get taken out -very- quickly with T2.

W0lf
02-05-2009, 01:32
Its nice when a 20 pt item kills a 40pt knight.

See the appeal yet?

danny-d-b
02-05-2009, 09:18
plus combained with curce of the leaper (from festus!) and you get a very nice combo- after all most knights are toughness 3- 1 means you get 2d6 hits that kill on 5s!

Lord Khabal
02-05-2009, 09:22
Use it on magelord on disc...

Mullitron
02-05-2009, 09:42
Ok thanks for the suggestions, would you suggest it being taken by a prince? Currently thinking of taking prince with tendrils of tzeentch and diabolic splendour, would it be advisable for me to switch the splendor for roar?

ROCKY
02-05-2009, 10:01
hehehe seems u all need to work on ur rolling ;) i just blasted a unit of six knight not too long ago rolled 10 on 2d6 and 4 6s. i loved watching the champ and banner dude running off the field by on turn of shooting. its meant to be a knight killer and heavy armor T3-T4 reducer. its awesome on discs for one reason... manuverability. i can go behind u blast u in every phase of blasting (magic+shooting) and if i want i can follow a unit and kill it off in one turn with a lvl 2 wizard. Book of Secrets, Golden eye of tzeentch, blood curdling roar, and a disc. 3 spells. 1 nasty phase of shooting. and 20 inch movement. for 230 points?! ill take it.

MarcoPollo
02-05-2009, 20:45
Ok thanks for the suggestions, would you suggest it being taken by a prince? Currently thinking of taking prince with tendrils of tzeentch and diabolic splendour, would it be advisable for me to switch the splendor for roar?

No too sure what to do about the prince. But I don't think switching would be in your best interest. Seems to me that the tendrils/spendor set up is optimal. Like I said, the disc rider is the best place to put the roar.

EvC
03-05-2009, 13:32
Yeah I've used it in a couple of different set-ups, one on a Disc like everybody else. It's nice to have a back-up plan- like one game where I flew him out into the firing line to take down some Jezzails- when the Flickering Fire failed, I still had a good chance of killing 2 and causing panic. Of course this is me, so the dice failed and he was shot to death the next turn ;) Just like when I've tried to scream Assassins and the like to death, in one pair of games I rolled 10D6 dice and did 3 wounds total! Occasionally it works like a dream and killed a few knights. But it's great to have in any army list. It's on my current army's scroll caddy to give him a use beyond dispelling, it's great chasing after Terradons, or nipping around the flanks of enemt knights who don't expect him to do anything...