PDA

View Full Version : UK WD 313 Feedback

immortal99
21-12-2005, 09:35
Well mine has arrived early this week with another again for the second month in a row even though GW has supposedly fixed that problem.

So here goes:

There is a reasonably intersting article on converting the SM plastic terminators into wold eaters ones but you had to be skilled with greenstuff which a lot of people aren't :rolleyes: .

In the warhammer section there is no suprises.
Designers notes on dwarfs
Battle report with dwarfs
Tactics for dwarfs
and then "smallhammer" for short games of warhammer on a 4' by 4' board

In W40k we have:
Tactica Black Templars :rolleyes: Well this could prove to be quite intersting.

Chapter approved Deamon Worlds

Lots of cool scenery for planets infested by demons, rules for fighting in them a pluck at selling Demonhunters to as many people as they can. There are some VERY cool board designs though.

Then they featured the imperial tank company from white dwarf 296 with the addition of Storm troopers and chimeras made out of rhinos.

LoTR

GW are showing off the new easterling models with the stats of Khamul but no points and the same for the chariot so we still don't know points values.

Rules for fighting in moria they look interesting and I will try these out shortly.

A few new scenarios, they all look quite good ad you don't need set models for a change :)

There are now rules for mountain trolls and a new goblin hero "Azghur"

And next month they are still shoving Black Templars down our throats :rolleyes:

tzeentchgiant
21-12-2005, 12:20
Personaly, at a glance, I'd say it's a pretty great issue, the astronomican being depressingly long though, more than made up for by the hobby articles though, very impressive armies, definite improvement from the slipping standard of studio armies.

Here's a summary of the articles, I'll edit in a bit more of my opinions later:

GD Roundup
Doc Butcha
Dwarf Designer's Notes
BATTLE REPORT
Collecting a dwarf army
Painting Guide: Metallics
Chapter Apporved: Deamon Worlds
Neophyte article
Tactica: Black Templars
Showcase: "The Dragon Slayer" (Excellent)
Castellan Draco
Preview: Shadow in the East
Scenery Building: Moria
Campaign: Misty mountains
Scenario: Ruin of Rohan
Astronomican

Well worth a long read, definite improvement from the last few months, maybe even year, giving the hobbyist what they want, I'm very happy at the moment.

More from me later,

Oh, and LoTR components are now available, gonna get me a pair of Balrog wings (6 :cool:)

TG

Crube
21-12-2005, 12:42
Sounds good. Could it be WD gets a decent editor in Mr Rees...

I'll let you all know my opinion when the *^!%$ thing gets here...

Frecus
21-12-2005, 14:34
This was my last WD for the subscription. I didn't like it enough to continue the subscription.

Not the most interesting report. But I dislike both armies, so that copuld be it. Still miss a full page on deployment though.

For the rest: Liked the daemon worlds and armoured company articles, new players might find the painting articles good, but I know my armours by now.

The only other thing of real interest was the LotR announcement! Those wings rule!

Oh, and Reese looks like a decent editor; he talks about what's in WD instead of how many battles he lost!

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

truthsayer
21-12-2005, 15:53
This was my last edition from my subscription too, it is finally quite a decent one. Although i will say it is too little too late and i wont be renewing.

immortal99
21-12-2005, 16:07
I too thought it was the best issue we have had in quite a while now. Hopefully Owen Rees will prove to be a better editor.

Can an admin please sticky this?

Lostanddamned
21-12-2005, 16:41
Not a big fan of the new format, I found it a little "pamphlety" for my tastes.

However the mini editorials at the start of each section are welcome, as is the expanded astronimican.

Reese paints to a very good standard imo, his guard look very good and he painted a PLATOON this month. and he says it doesnt look like much.

The new army still won the battlereport though. :(

Also there appears to be a great more background stuff, like the whole article on the life of a black templar and the bits at the end of some articles of the 40k section.

Best issue in a long time

immortal99
21-12-2005, 16:56

The worst result I can remember with a new army in a battle report is were the witch hunters drew against tau a while ago.

Jim Reaper
21-12-2005, 18:39

Hold on... the Dwarfs won a battle report in White Dwarf? That's the second time EVER! Or at least since the release of 4th Edition. And the other one was a siege so it doesn't count.

marv335
21-12-2005, 19:21
yes but the only reason they won is because there is a new dwarf army book.
everyone knows that the new army always wins it's first battle report ;)

immortal99
21-12-2005, 19:26
Not the witch hunters they drew against the Tau ;)

tzeentchgiant
21-12-2005, 19:29
Hmm, no, not really, I think orks lost their first battle report after their latest update.

(Against eldar? Can someone confirm this?)

TG

splash
21-12-2005, 19:30
I thought the Tau lost their first battle report to the 'Nids way back.

immortal99
21-12-2005, 19:32
Basically the new army is *meant* to win but there are lots of cases in the past were they haven't, I think it might be GW's new tactic though.

Reinnon
21-12-2005, 19:32
so did the necrons if i remember right

EvC
21-12-2005, 20:46
Beasts of Chaos lost to the Wood Elves in their first *ever* outting, although they made up for it a while later with a huge victory against Dogs of War. In a 1200 point battle report. Wow.

Chuffy
21-12-2005, 20:51
As a rule Orc/ks always lose battle reports, even when they have a new army book/codex out.

The Judge
21-12-2005, 21:02
Orks lost ot Crimson Fists, Eldar lost to Imperial Fists, Dark Eldar lost to Guard, Necrons drew to Guard etc. etc.

Fantasy-wise it's a similar situation. It ain't that as big a trend as everyone goes on about. .

Jim Reaper
21-12-2005, 22:32
I do believe the Dwarfs drew their inaugural battle report for the 6th Ed book, I don't remember the enemy though. It's famous that they've very very rarely (i.e. once, up till now) won a battle report.

Insane Psychopath
22-12-2005, 08:14
Reese paints to a very good standard imo, his guard look very good and he painted a PLATOON this month. and he says it doesnt look like much.

Yep, in the GT heat 3 he was up for best painted, thought lost to a very nice Nids army.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/tournaments/40k-2005-06/3/

I find George Dellapina Guard army is great, as alway he never fail us. Also it was a good thing I held back my own mech Strom Trooper guard army 1: because of his army look cool & ton of nice conversion & 2: Forge World brought out upgread kits.

IP

Skaven Lord Vinshqueek
22-12-2005, 08:36
everyone knows that the new army always wins it's first battle report ;)
*grins*... If I'm not mistaken, the skaven drew in their first battle report with the 6th ed. army.

Apart from that, the WD looks decent enough. Just a shame that Alessio Calvatore (of all people) puts up the worst skaven army with the 'smallhammer' that I've seen in ages.

Greetz

tzeentchgiant
22-12-2005, 13:40
The article about painting metals, aside from being terrible, might contain a mistake in it, if you check the "white undercoat" sheild, they seem to be out of order, or is it just me?

Good editing, apart from that (if it is wrong).

TG

Sgt John Keel
22-12-2005, 21:13
Pretty good issue actually, though I dislike every second page screaming 'Buy Batallion Boxes Now!' at me.

The Daemon Worlds article was inspirational. I really want to make a board of boiling blood now, and that's what my future Eldar will feature for bases.

/Adrian

snikch13
23-12-2005, 02:19
i buy WD for only 2 reasons, storyline articles (ie: space marine chapters, the vampire history, etc) and official and unofficial rules. beyond that i wont pick up the issue if it doesnt have either of those. so obviously i was dissappointed with the most recent issue. i suppose it wouldnt be a problem but recently white dwarf has been coming in those horrid plastic sleeves so you cant see what comes inside until you've already bought it.

thats my bugger

Xorianas
23-12-2005, 04:46
Can't speak to the UK WD since I live in the states but there is no reason to start a new thread about something which is basically the same topic anyway.

Biggest rave I have for the current issue (US 312) is that they broke down all the parts on the new dwarf sprues. They were all painted up so it was easy to see the details, something I think they should do all the time because it is easier to tell what everything is and see the details of the pieces. They also included a key at the bottom of the page just in case it was hard to tell what something was from the picture.

Overall, this issue was a bit of a departure in the standard WHFB then 40k then LOTR - this time they put LOTR in the middle. Not sure why, but in a way it makes sense to put the two "fantasy" type systems together. Not a bad issue.

Calindor
23-12-2005, 07:05
I think this number was very good. I really liked it, both the fantasy and 40k section. The battlereport was intersting but overall I think they should have given som new unit to the dwarves, just the same army as before. but back to WD. Very nice and I think Owen will do a good work with it. Shall be intersting to follow and it seems the last two WD has been better then earlier ones. I will for sure contuie to buy them. 6 euro is not to much once per month. It is a beautyful magasine what ever is in it.

Crube
23-12-2005, 09:08
Had a quick read last night and i am quite impressed. Certainly in comparison to other recent issues it really stood out. For once the 40K section wasnt ALL marines, and the new layouts work for me.

I know what you mean with the BUY BATTALION BOX NOW!!!!! but it is the issue before Christmas. Maybe it'll die down for the next issue...

I loved the Dwarf preview / article / sample army lists, even though i alreayd have the army box. Time will tell how accurate the points cost / army composition are...:rolleyes: The battle report was entertaining though, as I still fancy an OK army (after the elves and the dwarfs and the...)

Yeah, quite good really 8.5/10 well done.

Venkh
23-12-2005, 09:49
got mine yesterday and was pretty impressed.

I like the new sub-editorials before each section, it just sets the tone and uses up some space that would be otherwise filled with an army book cover or something.
The games day article was alwright but why do we need to see pictures of people looking at stuff? Surely we want pictures of the things they are looking at!
Dok Butcha was really good, i actually learned something about sculpting greenstuff.

WFB
The warhammer section was good
Dwarf intro and battle report were worth reading, good to see a big game being played
I really like the painting guide with the bits unassembled, it really shows you how they tackle each piece in detail and has got me painting "on sprue" with some good results.
Jervis looks like he is working round to an excellent series of articles, i would say that he has avoided the temptation to gen up an all of the best 6th ed lists and strategies and make up his own mind over time.

Templars article was fine but Im bored with marines at the moment, i scanned it and will probably read it later
The Demonworlds article was absolutely amazing the boards were really imaginatively themed and of the highest standard, i paricularly liked the tzeentch board with the monolth just incredible.
The guard army was similarly awesome so good to see real effort expended in making an army inique. Much better than, here are my marines, this week i have been mostly been painting them green and LOOK, this ones got a beard:rolleyes:

LOTR
Not much interest in this but i would be interested in getting my hands on some of the components.

Astronomicon
An improvement in that it featured 3 stores this month, more of this please and less of the lists of facts.

boogle
23-12-2005, 11:22
a better issue than most have been BTW didn't the Ogres draw/lose their battle Report vs the Empire?

Venkh
23-12-2005, 12:27
I heard that the dark elves lost their first 6th ed outing vs the VC as well. Perhaps they thought all of tghis losing was affecting sales?

Rgds

crashbang
23-12-2005, 12:50
necrons drew their first battle
beasts of chaos got massacred
dark elves got massacred
ogres drew
skaven drew

i think that it is the disadvantage of facing an army that u dont know what to expect from it that makes em lose

EvC
23-12-2005, 14:43
Heh yes, I'd forgotten that this means Ogres haven't managed to chalk up a win yet themselves...

Teethgrinder
23-12-2005, 22:56
There is a reasonably intersting article on converting the SM plastic terminators into wold eaters ones but you had to be skilled with greenstuff which a lot of people aren't :rolleyes:

Dude, I suck at using green stuff and making those Terminators was the best way I found of getting better at it. Give it a try!

Dok Butcha was really good, i actually learned something about sculpting greenstuff.

Cheers fella, happy sculpting!

Chuffy
23-12-2005, 23:05
I heard that the dark elves lost their first 6th ed outing vs the VC as well. Perhaps they thought all of tghis losing was affecting sales?

Rgds

No, around the time the DE moaning was at it's peak they had the DE vs Chaos battle rep with the City Guard and Cavalry relief force thang. The DE won, just to show people the army worked.

Too bad they weren't even using the actual DE list (City Guard list) and the cavalry force had LOTS of Dark Riders.

Also the DE did lose their first 6th ed BR, however the undead were being bent and taking Zacharias the Everliving.

anarchistica
23-12-2005, 23:59
Also the DE did lose their first 6th ed BR, however the undead were being bent and taking Zacharias the Everliving.
Yeah that one was hilariously stupid as well. "Let's have this Vampire Zacharias on Dragon fight some girly DE on a Pegasus, that's fair. It's not like DE have a powerful warrior-mage on a dragon, is it?". :rolleyes:

I've only browsed it, read some bits, drooled over the new Asian stuff (i refuse to call that LOTR), etc. I liked the Dwarf introduction, their sprues look mighty fine. I also liked what Phil Kelly said, it's the funniest thing i've read since Mike Walker found something better to do:

"I think everyone should have a special character"

For feths sake...:eyebrows:

Christine
24-12-2005, 08:14
Interestingly no ones mentioned the Tau preview page at the beginning which was something I really liked. Also liked the 500pt FB stuff so much so I may some wood elves!

boogle
24-12-2005, 16:01
mind you the Girly De on a Manticore was actually Morathi on her Dark Pegasus, it was stupid tactics that got her killed

immortal99
24-12-2005, 17:22
Dude, I suck at using green stuff and making those Terminators was the best way I found of getting better at it. Give it a try!

I never said I couldn't sculpt! I already can, and I'm going to need it to sculpt egyptian loin cloths onto every SM in my Sons of ptolemy chapter.

Lafeel Abriel
24-12-2005, 17:40
To put it quite simply: I am not impressed.

Sure the Dwarf section, and the battle report, was nice, but this isn't even close to what I would call a fantasy oriented WD. This is yet another attempt by GW to cram more marines into a one while seeming to appear to be advertizing fantasy..Oh how I miss the good old days..Anyone here remember the "Black Gobbo" White Dwarf?

anarchistica
25-12-2005, 15:37
mind you the Girly De on a Manticore was actually Morathi on her Dark Pegasus, it was stupid tactics that got her killed
Yeah but if you're using Zacharias wouldn't it be much more logical to put Malekith at the head of the other army instead of Morathi?

The batrep was ok-ish, though it was rather pathetic that they made the Dwarfs win. And yes, they did do that, i refuse to believe anyone -even a GWer- is stupid enough to send all his expensive units to some Stubborn LD10 guy with fat saves and a magic weapon that wounds on a 2+ and does D3 wounds. He has a freaking movement of 3, throw some piecemeal Gnoblars or Bulls at him to distract him and don't send your 565 point special character with nothing to keep him safe besides his T6/W6 towards some guy who wounds him on a 2+ anyway and can kill him with just 2 Wounds. They even played test games, are the new Dwarfs so pathetic they can only win if someone sends all his expensive stuff to be smashed to bits by a 700 point special character? Overall i get the idea that Dwarfs are a gimmicky army that has to rely on Strollaz Rune/Anvil, special characters, war machines/anvil or, well, no idea, but it probably involves the Anvil of Doom somewhere...

The "article" about small games was retarded. It wasn't even an article, just some random hints, telling people to buy army deals and something about Alessio.

BT fluff article was ok, if you've got no clue what Space Marines are. "Joe lived on this really nasty planet with nasty weather and nasty animals. He almost got killed but SM saved him. Then he did alot of fighting and ended up in a dreadnought. The end" :rolleyes:

The Daemon Worlds article is pretty nice though, wicked scenery.

I'm not really impressed, maybe the LOTR part saves them again, haven't read it yet.

Frodo34x
25-12-2005, 15:48
everyone knows that the new army always wins it's first battle report ;)AFAIK, DE have only won a single batrep, out of the 4+ they've had for 6th ed.

boogle
25-12-2005, 18:50
that was against Choas i believe

Re Zacharias vs Morathi, Morathi is meant to be, if not the most powerful, then the most powerful Dark Elf Spell caster in Naggaroth, so it was logical to put her up against Zacharias

EvC
26-12-2005, 23:42
Dark Elves beat High Elves in a batrep just after GW updated their 6th eidition book.

Tom
27-12-2005, 00:25
I also believe, shock, Space Marines of all bit-more-than-people managed to lose their first 3rd Ed outing.

To a grot with a stick, no less.

WD226.

To some people a WD with the Eldar release with them against Orks as the Batrep, and where there's an out of focus Ultramarines squad in the background of one picture and another marine in the middle of the Astronomican (and that's it) would be 'forcing nothing but SM down our throats'...

my_name_is_tudor
27-12-2005, 00:34
This should be renamed 'the 'who lost in their first WD outing' thread' :p

boogle
27-12-2005, 01:19
yep the Imperial Fists lost their Cleanse mission to the Orks, IG lost their 1st Bat Rep to Orks too

big squig
27-12-2005, 20:10
This should be renamed 'the 'who lost in their first WD outing' thread' :p

Yeah, this is getting off topic. Anyone else read WD313 and have opinions on it?

Lord Setra
27-12-2005, 21:20
Yeah I did on Christmas morning when I was waiting for my my parents to wake up:p

Personally I quite enjoyed the Wd, much more than recent ones.

I thought the articles on the Dwarfs were intresting and the Battle report did manage to keep my attention for longer than a battle report has done for a while.

The Black Templar case study of the single marine was enthralling, it gave you an insight into a Marines life through his actions.

And the metal guide was pretty much a standard painting guide, though I would like to see a return of the older Eavy Metal painting guides to one model.

Lady's Champion
27-12-2005, 22:11
If you read the detail, the Dwarfs lost the practice match!

anarchistica
28-12-2005, 19:39
The LOTR bit was ok but i'm getting sick of Moria. I also wonder what those Asian models were doing in the LOTR section, anyone care to enlighten me? :confused: ;)

I'm not impressed, especially not seeing as this BR was even worse than the last one (the one where only magic mattered and Jervis took 10-16 Elf Elven units)

my_name_is_tudor
28-12-2005, 20:32
asian models? I guess you mean the warriors of khand and the easterlings?

anarchistica
29-12-2005, 08:43
asian models? I guess you mean the warriors of khand and the easterlings?
I saw some Easterlings but also some curious Asian models. They're really good, just wondering what they're doing in the LOTR section.

;)

boogle
29-12-2005, 12:36
they are the Khandish figures

Sephiroth
29-12-2005, 12:42
Interestingly no ones mentioned the Tau preview page at the beginning which was something I really liked.

Haven't picked up a copy yet. What's the Tau preview like?

anarchistica
29-12-2005, 13:10
they are the Khandish figures
How would you know what i Khandish force would look like? :confused:

(i'm taking the **** dude, jeez :p)

therisnosaurus
29-12-2005, 13:23
don't you think it's slightly, dunno, painful, that after working for so long on an asian army, GW releases models for the ONE SYSTEM I CANNOT USE TO REPRESENT THEM...

why gods, why must you taunt me so...

boogle
29-12-2005, 13:29
How would you know what i Khandish force would look like? :confused:

(i'm taking the **** dude, jeez :p)
so why post it in the 1st place :p

Luke
29-12-2005, 14:06
hmm, for xmas i received a years subscription starting with this issue, HOWEVER before i found out (xmas morn) i had decided i was going to stop buying wd starting with this issue :D lol :rolleyes:

so i had a skim through it, thought it was slightly more interesting than usual with the demon world bit and the khorne terminator bit. but aside from that, the usual poorly written bunch of typing errors and flimsily disguised toy ads.

de Selby
29-12-2005, 14:23
FYI: The green and white tyranid horde pictured on the letters page belongs to one of our members, Scythe. At least I think it does, better wait for him to respond.

I'll post my opinions on the rest of the issue when I've had time to read a bit more of it, but I think the new LOTR stuff looks great. New Dwarfs leave me cold, this time around.

EvC
29-12-2005, 16:19
Is this issue out in the shops yet? I understood it's the last Friday of every month, but today's a Thursday and GW lists it as being "out now". And of course issue 312 lists it as being out sometime in October, which is a lot of help. I wouldn't want to stop being lazy and walk down to my local shop for no reason!

Scythe
30-12-2005, 18:26
FYI: The green and white tyranid horde pictured on the letters page belongs to one of our members, Scythe. At least I think it does, better wait for him to respond.

It probably is, unless someone else send a 170 model green-white Tyranid horde picture to white dwarf some months ago. Haven't got the latest WD yet, so I'm not 100% sure...:p

Still, I was beaten by the Praetorians (sp?) regarding model count...;)

EvC
31-12-2005, 15:32
You don't actually get credit for it though ;)

Good enough issue, I hate the 500 point article though. Border Patrol is a MUCH better way of playing small games, and now they've just nixed that? Idiocy. Right, I'm going to put together an army of three necromancers, some zombies and a spirit host. Anyone want a game?

big squig
01-01-2006, 02:13
don't you think it's slightly, dunno, painful, that after working for so long on an asian army, GW releases models for the ONE SYSTEM I CANNOT USE TO REPRESENT THEM...

why gods, why must you taunt me so...

Aren't you allowed to do that now?

cpl_hicks
02-01-2006, 20:46
this is the best white dwarf ever, for many reasons
1) my home town was mentioned(not directly though) in the editorial woot :)
2) i like the layout, you can really see that owen is a webdesigner, he has designed the pages like a top website, lots of white space, images either above/below text.
If the white dwarfs contitue to be like this i might even get a subscription

truthsayer
02-01-2006, 21:04
My local GW was featured in the astronomican which was alright. If you look in the picture of the store one of my regular opponents is leaning over the table. (he's wearing red in case anyone cared).

And they aren't even playing a game...

Paddy
02-01-2006, 23:12
Definately an improvement this month.

The layout is fantastic - now to hope they stop tinkering and leave it alone!
The content was rather good, and the picture of painted sprue components was a fantastic idea, and should continue for new plastics IMHO. Only two reserations, the Games day stuff, which showed nothing that we wanted (like what was there!) and the constant "Buy a Battalion box" comments, which were incredibly annoying. yes, market, yes plug the bigger boxes, but for God's sake we read it the first half dozen times this issue, so please stop!

The boyz
03-01-2006, 16:09
Although I havent really read the latest issue of WD, I have only had a quick flick through. It does seem to be a fairly good issue this month. The content seems to be good and the new layout is pretty good aswell. I do like the article on George Dellapina's Tank company. His conversion work on the Command squad and Storm troopers is superb.

pookie
03-01-2006, 16:45
its a good issue, but why so many mistakes? theres problems with basics, such as duplicating names in the readers bit, also the 40k special charachter info is conflicting, simple school boy errors if you ask me, at least the issue isnt the 3rd on sale on the 28th october....

Scythe
03-01-2006, 17:51
I have the issue myself now, so I can give some sensible comment.

I liked the issue. Nice new layout, good structure. Like Paddy said, showing the contents of new sprues painted is very nice and helpfull. I hope this trend continues with the release of other new basic trooper boxes. The daemonworld article was pretty nice, and the tank company looked very good. Nothing surprising in the battle report, and more black templar articles, but I can get over that. The thing that makes it the best issue for me is that my army is indeed featurred on the letters page...:D

Dr Death
03-01-2006, 18:28
Yeah, Owen Rees residency has thus far heralded an upswing in the issue quality. The layout is a little too slick if you ask me, personally i prefered WD when it had all kinds of obscure "textures" in the background but thats no biggy. The system editorials are a nice little touch and allow for a little more imformal banter than the straight articles.

I would prefer the designers note articles to be a little deeper, they seem to be a bit slim and simplistic for my personal tastes- Where did the designer note article style of the first armybooks of WHFB 6th ed go? Also the metallics painting article struck me as rather lack lustre and why put the smegging gamesday stuff in if you werent going to give us the Golden Deamon winners this month?!

Im getting a little tired of a thousand and one different ways to play Lotr as well, we havnt had a decent painting article or anything other than varient rules and preveiws for months.

All in all, a nice issue, but still a long way to climb from the slump.

Dr Death

Rabid Bunny 666
03-01-2006, 21:38
i liked the layout and George Dellaphinas armoured company, the dwarfs bit was quite good, but the LOTR section has really become a barrel-scraping department for WD

Avian
03-01-2006, 22:13
I read this WD at christmas morning, apparently my cousin had bought it, for some reason. Not impressed at all.

The batrep was ok-ish, though it was rather pathetic that they made the Dwarfs win.
We had a bet about how much the Dwarfs would win by over at the Ogre Stronghold. I think I came closest, being only 40 or so points off. :rolleyes:

The "article" about small games was retarded. It wasn't even an article, just some random hints, telling people to buy army deals and something about Alessio.
I too was surprised that there wasn't actually content in it. And why try to insist that the game works perfectly well at 500 pts? It doesn't!

The Daemon Worlds article is pretty nice though, wicked scenery.

I'm not really impressed, maybe the LOTR part saves them again, haven't read it yet.
I actually found a bit of inspiration in these two articles for our FB campaign. I find it a bit wierd that I seldom find inspiration for FB in the FB articles.

my_name_is_tudor
03-01-2006, 22:35
I too was surprised that there wasn't actually content in it. And why try to insist that the game works perfectly well at 500 pts? It doesn't!

because it's easier to sell lots of army boxes than the equivalent profits in entire armies, especially when the game is so geared towards fickle little kids.

anarchistica
04-01-2006, 19:38
Jervis: "Yeah, like, Fantasy is written to work for games around 2000 points, but you can play 500 point battles too. We won't give any actual rules or something, we'll just say that cavalry is also really good in 500 points games. And repeat that. Ad Nauseam."

:rolleyes:

I think i'm gonna charge for those AB2 files, i only really refreshed my subscription because of it. :p

my_name_is_tudor
04-01-2006, 20:16
Just got the white dwarf today, so I can now comment on it..

Loved the IG article, some really really nice models, damn good, wish I was as good with the ol' GS as that.
The daemon worlds article was interesting, but the rules themselves were pretty feeble if you ask me. Some nice tables though, that metal world one was quite interesting.
The new layout is for the most part to the good. I'm getting a bit sick of the compartmentalisation idea, but that's nothing new really. The larger astronomican section is good, and I like the editorials at the begining of each section.
All in all I think the Owen Rees takeover is a move towards 'fixing', or well, improving, white dwarf. I still think there is a long way to go however, and if I were in Mr Rees's shoes, I'd be making some big alterations.

Arael
04-01-2006, 20:54
I got this issue yesterday. There's some good stuff on Black Templars, although it seems as though 40k's got the least coverage/interesting stuff this time round.

The Dwarf stuff does look kinda nice, and the World Eater conversions were kind of nice, although it was sort of lost on me, as I'm not that good at conversions, though I might look at doing a couple anyway.

The GD2005 coverage was okay, and I got some laughs when some of the guys in Falkirk GW pointed out that I was in the pic with Dan Abnett.

my_name_is_tudor
05-01-2006, 13:07
The thing that gets me is that these just aren't as readable as the older ones. Sure, if I want to convert some chaos terminators I might have a look, but my idle perusing period is shortened now to something like 30minutes max.

Paddy
05-01-2006, 13:19
OT: Is it just me, or does the Terminator with Reaper Autocannon look like he's carrying a Red Dwarf Bazookoid mining laser?

philbrad2
05-01-2006, 14:20
OT: Is it just me, or does the Terminator with Reaper Autocannon look like he's carrying a Red Dwarf Bazookoid mining laser?

PADDY - dooode you really are watching too much RD!

As to the Wd issue as ever only normally read the 40K bits.

George's IG - Lurve these nice to see a good spread on this army some excellent conversions.
Daemon Worlds - Interesting concepts, might have been more useful when we were fighting EOT though. Rules are ok nothing to write home about. I'd like to see these rules , the swamp and jungle fighting rules put together into a battlezones advanced scenarios book for 40K.
BT's - Liked the Rassimus (?) article nice idea to see a BT progressing through the ranks to from aspirant to Dreadnought. However another BT article, starting to get more than a little 'BT'd out' I know and realise that GW use these to plug their releases but as with Tyranids a good chunk of the 40K section is devoted to the 'army of the moment', personally I'd like to see this toned down a little. Templars Tactica , inevitable !!! :p
ASTRONOMICON - Getting to like this bit actually. An improvement over the Guy Haley days IMHO.

Layout well the old WHFB/40K/LoTR sectioning of the mag is firmly established. Had a flick through the WHFB section nice little article on metallics albeit aimed at less experienced painters. The LoTR section is still a waste of paper although nice to see that the Balrog wings are avaialbe from mailorder - I feel my nids will be getting a flying HT this year :D

One the whole, not bad issue, I've read better and worse. Just waiting for the Tau to arrive - to start getting sick of articles on them I suppose!

:chrome:

The boyz
05-01-2006, 14:48

Now that you mention it, it does look very similar.:D :D

Arael
05-01-2006, 17:41
Good point. Now I've got the idea of doing a "C.A.N.A.R.I.E.S" Penal Legion IG army.

Shadowheart
11-01-2006, 09:22
Got it yesterday, haven't read much of it yet, but leafing through it my eye was drawn to the marines on page 127. It says their owner, Mark Edwards of GW Nottingham Central, picked the main colours randomly. It seems more likely to me that, as with his White Panthers, he took someone else's colour scheme and modified it slightly.

Anyone else remember the Shadow Falcons, with whom Mark Boardley won a bunch of Golden Demon trophies in the mid 90's? (link (http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=264)) Greyish black armour, contrasting bone sections, purple gun casings, bird motif... pretty much the same thing, in other words. They were a favourite of mine when I was just starting out, so I'd recognise them anywhere.

The Judge
11-01-2006, 14:46
Damn they'r exactly the same! Copy-cat.

Scythe
11-01-2006, 15:52
Heh, so far for random colors...

Seemed quite unlikely anyway... when I start painting an army, I want to have some idea that they'll look semi-decent in the end...

Hlokk
11-01-2006, 16:07
Had a look, not massively impressed.

-Letters page has become "oooooh, print my model pics please!!!" If your going to do that, go the whole hog and do a reader army feature or something.
-Again with the astronomican, why do we need 30 pages of this stuff every month?
-WHFB was ok, even if the BR was a complete fix just to get 2 special characters into combat.
-Dwarf prieview was okish, despite saying the same stuff over and over
-40k. Again with the Black Templars, why? 4 page article on some irrelevant character that reads like a peice of badly written fan fluff
-lotR: Please make it stop. Im normally a very patient person but this is taking the **** now. it was essentially a big prieview of next months releases, and they'll print the same stuff next month.

overall, its very meh ths month

crashbang
11-01-2006, 16:16
anyone else get the feeling that WD was better when Paul Sawyer was editor (fat bloke)? he always wrote something new every month, and it wasnt just advertising either. plus for unexpalined reasons white dwarf was better in those days too

Hlokk
11-01-2006, 16:19
anyone else get the feeling that WD was better when Paul Sawyer was editor (fat bloke)? he always wrote something new every month, and it wasnt just advertising either. plus for unexpalined reasons white dwarf was better in those days too

If anything, its improved since Guy and the other one took over. PS was responsible for some of the worst issues going.

However, does every WHFb article have to be an advert for the batallion boxed sets? :rolleyes:

Brushmonkey
26-01-2006, 16:39
The Astronimicon was great because it featured my home store. Rock on.