PDA

View Full Version : festus- worth it?

danny-d-b
02-05-2009, 11:35
sorry if this is the wrong section!

anyway, I'm playing a WOC Infantry heavy force (like my infantry, yes I know its not the most competive build, but hay It works for me at my local club!)

anyway I've taken festus in the 5 games I've played with the new book and I've been told he is usless and a waste of space, and also been told he is broken (after he and some marrauders ran down dwarf warriors! mostly due to me passing 4 regeneration saves on them!)

so is he a waste of space, a decent carcter (not broken, not c***) or more cheasy than a 12in chese pizza with extra chese?

Nicha11
02-05-2009, 11:38
I think he is a complete and utter waste of time.

Von Wibble
02-05-2009, 12:25
Lets just compare festus with a l2 sorceror of nurgle.

+ points

Unit regenerates.
Unit has poison.
Captured enemies are double vps

No options for palanquin, scrolls or magic boosting items
Slower pursuit
Less I
No chaos armour (regenerate pretty much neuters this one though)
Has to have curse of the leper. This is power level 10 so usually 4 dice should
be used to cast it but Festus only gets 3. Its less than a 50% chance to cast on 3 dice so this is a waste. You therefore need either +1 to cast from skull of katam or a good other spell.

Overall, use of festus is more dependant on the unit he is with. He could be quite good with ehw chaos warriors or khornate marauders (if you don't mind the sacrilege involved). He is certainly not useless - but not a no brainer either. Exactly the way a special character should be.

selone
02-05-2009, 13:43
if you have a plan for him he's alright- i.e stick him in a hard to kill chaos warrior unit.

ROCKY
02-05-2009, 14:46
sorry if this is the wrong section!

anyway, I'm playing a WOC Infantry heavy force (like my infantry, yes I know its not the most competive build, but hay It works for me at my local club!)

anyway I've taken festus in the 5 games I've played with the new book and I've been told he is usless and a waste of space, and also been told he is broken (after he and some marrauders ran down dwarf warriors! mostly due to me passing 4 regeneration saves on them!)

so is he a waste of space, a decent carcter (not broken, not c***) or more cheasy than a 12in chese pizza with extra chese?

maybe its because ur using him wrong? with all due respect i believe ur opponent should have asked u the rules. he DOES NOT give a 4+ regen. he gives a 5+ regen to the unit he joins.

SiNNiX
02-05-2009, 14:59
Festus is completely worth it for the simple fact of putting him in a Chaos Warrior unit with additional hand weapons and mark of Tzeentch. Give the warriors the Banner of Rage.

You're looking at a unit with 5+ regeneration and 4x S4 poison attacks at WS5... It's amazing. Stick him next to a character with the Chaos Runeshield so that if he gets into a challenge he has a better chance of surviving, not to mention his Regeneration and Ward Save. Also, give another character in the unit Soporific Musk. This will increase your chance to catch the enemy unit should it flee because you're only pursuing with D6. Don't think for a second that this unit isn't capable of catching an enemy unit especially with Soporific Musk in effect. All too often players roll ****** for flee.

Additionally, you can stick a badass lord in this unit so that you don't have to worry about Festus going into a one-on-one with anybody and you can just use him for his poison/regen effects and his casting.

Ever since I told my WOC friend about this unit, he's used it ever since and rapes people with it. Very few can match 4x S4 poison attacks. And if you get charged, use handweapon+shield for 3x S4 poison attacks each with 2+ armour saves, 5+ regen and 6+ ward. :)

SiNNiX
02-05-2009, 15:01
maybe its because ur using him wrong? with all due respect i believe ur opponent should have asked u the rules. he DOES NOT give a 4+ regen. he gives a 5+ regen to the unit he joins.

the OP actually said nothing about believing he gave 4+ regen saves... he actually just said he passed 4 regen saves.

Witchblade
02-05-2009, 15:59
Casting curse of the leper on 3 dice has a higher than 50% probability of succeeding. I'd say the only better spell a L2 could have (next to buboes) is flesy abundance. Leper is an extremely devastating spell. Charging a unit and casting leper on them at the same time pretty much garantuees breaking them. Combining leper and ecstatic seizures against elves is brutal as well, albeit impractical.

I think Festus is fluffy and good, but as a foot soldier he won't make it into any tourny lists.

danny-d-b
02-05-2009, 16:59

the OP actually said nothing about believing he gave 4+ regen saves... he actually just said he passed 4 regen saves.

yes mister rocky!!!!

for me festus is quite good, after all he make my marrauders nearly as hard to kill as my warriors (3+ armour save compared to 4+ armour save, 5+ regen with lesser stats) and give them a chance to kill thing with poisen- as for spells, I always get burbus as well- and chargeing a unit then casting curce on said unit is very handy!- plus casting it on zombies is always a good idea! (along the lines of give up 3 dice or you zombies die!)

Griffery
02-05-2009, 17:05
personally i love festus with some frenzied warriors with additionaly hand weapons. the poisoned atks and the regeneration are a sick bonus to the warriors

W0lf
02-05-2009, 18:04
Festus + unit of GW+MoK marauders = win.

kardar233
02-05-2009, 18:54
I tried a proxy Wall-of-Chosen list against the local Dwarf player, who was riding high after annihilating my Vampires on turn 3. I was trying to show him how little fun it is to play a game that is basically a dice-rolling contest.

Basically, I had 2 min-sized units of Marauder Horsemen, a big Nurgle marauder meatshield block, 40 or so Tzeentch Chosen with Favour and Blasted, Festus, an Exalted BSB, 2 warshrines and Valkia.

That's a 40-man T4 unit that has a 3+/4+/5+ save.

By turn 2, Chosen get 12 on EoTGs table. Ward save goes up to 3+, works in combat as well.

By the time I hit combat with his inordinately large number of Thunderers, they're looking at a Stubborn, S5 and T5 monstrosity of a unit that still has 23 members left.

Result: Massacre.

He tried the combat Dwarf army after that.

W0lf
02-05-2009, 22:41
I tried a proxy Wall-of-Chosen list against the local Dwarf player, who was riding high after annihilating my Vampires on turn 3. I was trying to show him how little fun it is to play a game that is basically a dice-rolling contest.

I loled at the irony. :D

Von Wibble
03-05-2009, 17:12
Casting curse of the leper on 3 dice has a higher than 50% probability of succeeding.

Yes - just remembered a 10 does cast the spell. The precise chance is 135/216 = 0.625 of getting 10 or more. I don't like those odds enough to chance 3 dice I'm afraid. 4 dice is surely the optimal strategy, and one unavailable to Festus. Hence the fact that the curse of the leper is a disadvantage (it is a great spell, no denying that!). I myself only chance 3 dice on maximum 8+ to cast (9+ if I'm taking a gamble) unless I know I have a reroll to play with.

If he deducted 2 from the casting value to reflect its ease of casting that would be another matter...

Witchblade
03-05-2009, 18:44
I agree that it's a gamble, but it's still often worth it, if you have no target for buboes (e.g. when you're in combat, where you want Festus anyway).

A L2 with no target for buboes who doesn't have fleshy abundance often has nothing useful to do that magic phase anyway. Festus can use a die from the main pool to try Leper.

Note that I'm not trying to convince you here. I'm just spreading ideas. I think we are both aware of all the pros/cons.

I think it would be a fluffy and balanced rule to give Festus a +1 to cast Leper.

W0lf
03-05-2009, 23:02
The average on 3 dice is 10.5....

Curse on 3 dice is fine.

wingedserpant
04-05-2009, 19:03
The regen saves make festus worth it. He is good for his points provided you put him in a good unit. He gives maruders real staying power.

Godgolden
04-05-2009, 21:34
Im more entertained with poison, the regen 5+ is just gravy.

MOK lord with beserker glaive suddenly has poison is just amusing.

Von Wibble
05-05-2009, 16:36
I agree that it's a gamble, but it's still often worth it, if you have no target for buboes (e.g. when you're in combat, where you want Festus anyway).

Oh, definately. But an ordinary level 2 has a better chance of getting 2 spells with a better chance to cast.

A L2 with no target for buboes who doesn't have fleshy abundance often has nothing useful to do that magic phase anyway. Festus can use a die from the main pool to try Leper.

Plague Squall and cloying quagmire are both fine. And I know Festus can use a pool dice, but so can an ordinary level 2.
Note that I'm not trying to convince you here. I'm just spreading ideas. I think we are both aware of all the pros/cons.

I think it would be a fluffy and balanced rule to give Festus a +1 to cast Leper.

I agree

The fact is the Festus is a worse spellcaster than an ordinary level 2, and worse in combat than a level 2 with palanquin. The regeneration and poison are what makes Festus his points. Poison less so because chaos have high S attacks anyway.

SiNNiX
05-05-2009, 21:41
The poison/regen is where Festus makes his points. You don't really rely on him for casting or combat; you don't need to. You can even stick him in combat with a badass lord and let him do all the work while benefiting from regen/poison attacks.

Dexter099
05-05-2009, 22:16
Festus is good depending on how you play him, or whether you have a plan for him in your army.

Solomon Stern
09-05-2009, 16:57
I have always taken a different view of characters. I recently have purchased the WoC and was hoping to field a Tzeentch army (not impressed at all, so I'm doing Nurgle). Characters, like anything, can be totally awesome or craptacular depending on the results (imagine that). Throw in Festus and let his unit pick on a weak enemy unit or use his unit as support. I have always been a firm believer in throwing out a big something for the enemy to worry himself over and to shoot at. This "diversion" allows him to ignore your main attacking force.

championofkhorne
10-05-2009, 18:22
festus is basically Nurgle's fluff character, that's all. He is fun to use and has his uses, but for his points you can get more varied and useful characters/units/items/etc.

I've used him once against Brets with sporific musk and he ended up upping my MV to a SV because he caught two units of knights after my warriors broke them (pansies lol)

so he has very good uses in his own way but I would rather use Wulfrik to make a surprise buttsecks attack on, say, archers and war machines, as those are the main threat to WoC

Rank&Foul
11-05-2009, 06:35
Ever since I told my WOC friend about this unit, he's used it ever since and rapes people with it. Very few can match 4x S4 poison attacks. And if you get charged, use handweapon+shield for 3x S4 poison attacks each with 2+ armour saves, 5+ regen and 6+ ward. :)

I like your style. Keep up the good work.

championofkhorne
11-05-2009, 19:13
Indeed, good use of warriors. Take the best unit of infantry in the game and make them even more devastating.