PDA

View Full Version : Orions Wild Hunt

vinny t
02-05-2009, 13:30
So, after seeing how cool Orion is, even though he may not be that good, I have decided to make a list centred around him and his Wild Hunt.

Orion, King of the Woods

Spellsinger lvl1 with 2 Scrolls

Noble on Eagle with Hail of Doom, Helm of the Hunt, spear, light armor, shield

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

5 Wild Riders w/ musician

8 Wild Riders w/ full command and warbanner

10 Glade Guard

2193 points, so 50 points to play with.

73 models

3 PD

5 DD 2 scrolls

So, any advice for how to improve this list, or any tactical advice for how to play it, is very appreciated. :)

Time of Madness
02-05-2009, 15:40
You only have 3 dispel dice at the moment.

I'd drop the archers and give your mage a unicorn (adds some punch to a wild rider unit). You can even opt for a second mage on unicorn as well.

Da GoBBo
02-05-2009, 15:49
Orion adds two DD for a total of 5 dice. Plus a lot of MR :D

wildkarrde0
02-05-2009, 17:23
looks very solid the unicorn a nice idea or the banner that stops marching might be useful other than that nice

Da GoBBo
02-05-2009, 17:34
No flee and counterattack options whatsoever though. You'r tough, but no bret. Some gladeriders might be nice.

Nathangonmad
02-05-2009, 19:46
I'll be brutally honest I'd consider dropping orion for some other units, because in my opinion hes got to be one of the worst characters in warhammer. I mean come on hes simply bloody terrible.

Vinsanity
03-05-2009, 11:52
Hes over priced but not that terrible... He is frail, thats all. Wild Riders as core makes up for it. As for the list, Id suggest getting some eagles, some wardancers and some glade riders instead of some dryads... Ive also used 2 alter nobles to good effect without the spellsinger vs magic heavy VCs and won the game, the trick is just being really offensive and playing the game on your terms, otherwise its very hard to win playing defensively...

Dark_Knight
03-05-2009, 12:55
I bet a gun line could shoot this army up. My Peasant Bowmen do a decent job at it anyways.

vinny t
03-05-2009, 13:05
Well, I have 50 points left so I could get an eagle.

I feel that I need the dryads in order to add warm bodies to the list.

My goal is to get the wild riders in combat as soon as possible, then the dryads hit after the wild riders die.

I know that Orion is sub-par, but that is why I don't feel guilty for using him.

Peasant bowmen could not gunline this list, in my opinion, wild riders have a 5+ armor save and a 5+ Ward save, and I have 4 units of 5, and a unit that will kill most things on the charge.
A dwarf gunline coud do it, but against that I would hide in my woods, then charge 18" out of them at the first opportunity.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

vinny t
03-05-2009, 16:30
Quick update to the list.

Orion, King of the Woods

Spellsinger lvl1 with 2 Scrolls

Noble on Eagle with Hail of Doom, Helm of the Hunt, spear, light armor, shield

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

8 Wild Riders w/ full command and warbanner

10 Glade Guard

7 Scouts with the banner of marchblocking

2253 Points

71 models

3 PD

5 DD 2 scrolls

The scouts pin the enemy in place while I set up charges and are just really annoying.

I dropped the eagle because I already have a noble on one who does the exact same thing.

Daxio
03-05-2009, 18:36
Well, whilst Orion is costly and pants, to all intents and purposes, if your oppponent isn't aware of that he will draw fire while the rest of your army gets on with the job. I played with him recently in just this way and gained a narrow victory, but never again. I would rather tool up a spite with a feather duster and a pair of marigolds-more effective!

popisdead
05-05-2009, 20:16
The usual alter hero would be better than the Great Eagle hero. 360 charge arc, nearly the same move, 5 S6 attacks at WS 7.

sephiroth87
05-05-2009, 20:51
You can't really play Orion's army without Orion. Ignore the people telling you to drop him. The second list looks good. The only thing I'd recommend is dropping it to where you're under 2250 points. Even if your local gaming group does it, I just never liked the idea of going over.

vinny t
06-05-2009, 21:46
Alright, I will drop a scout to take me to 14 under.

I use an eagle noble due to his higher level of survivability, his ability to fly over units, and because I have one.

vinny t
15-05-2009, 21:33
Question, what should I do against this demon list?

2 Heralds of tzeentch on chariots

2 Khorne heralds each with firestorm blade and armor of khorne, each in units of 21 unmarchblockable bloodletters.

2 10 man horror units

3 units of five furies

15 Daemonettes

3 screamers

4 screamers

bufordbugman
31-12-2009, 02:16
I've just gotten the Orion model (which I think is very cool) and am looking to play him and hopefully not get obliterated.

I'm intrigued by this Wild Hunt list, but can't do anything like that myself - not nearly enough Wild Riders! (1 unit of 5 is all I can manage).

So my question is, can one stick in a more "normal" list (e.g., dryads, glade guard, treeman, etc.) and not have him ruin it? What might it look like? And just why is he so terrible anyway?

Feel free to give it to me straight! Let's hear how awful he is - or how he can win it for you - from folks who have used him.

Thanks!