PDA

View Full Version : The Horned One - I'm failing to see the point.

Morthoron
02-05-2009, 18:54
Hi all,

Can anyone justify taking the Horned One as a magic item for a skink or Saurus to me? I suppose it allows you to mount your heroes and the nput them in a unit without adding stupidity to that unit, but for 15 points more than a Cold One you don't seem to get much more, and it comes out of your Magic Item allowance! A terradon seems a much better choice for a skink priest, and a cold one (point for point) seems much better for a Scar-Veteran.

The only use I can see if mounting a skink priest on one, but its quite a bit more than the cloak of feathers or jaguar charm so again, why bother? The armour save I suppose would be nice, but not for that many points.

Anyone see any other reason to take one?

Morthoron

Gaargod
02-05-2009, 19:02
Its rubbish. Its massively overpriced and ineffective. Skink priests practically lose movability, as they go from a Mv6 single character to being a Mv8 US2 model.

Possibly the single worst item in the LM book.

theunwantedbeing
02-05-2009, 19:06
To get a 2+ save on your skink cheif?

That's the best one I can think of.
The only other option would be to give your oldblood a 16" charge range if he's geared up to be very killy.

Ancre
02-05-2009, 19:30
Fluffy southern army ?

I can't think of anything else, even the 2+ for the skink chief is not worth it.

Every army have rotten magic items anyways.

Stuffburger
02-05-2009, 19:48
I think it's a holdover from 5th ed. where you could put skinks on horned ones. Nice of them to keep the models legal I suppose.

chivalrous
02-05-2009, 21:14
Hmm used to be that the horned one stopped stupidity in a whole unit of Cold One riders but that was way back in 5th. I haven't kept up since then.

Horus38
02-05-2009, 21:31
I love how it can still be "destroyed" like other magic items, and the rider reverts to back on foot.

*Poof* "Ohnoes, my mount is gone!?"

Certain builds/uses have been forward for it in the LM community. On the whole I'd put it at mediocre at best, there are much more useful/powerful items IMHO.

dwarfhold13
02-05-2009, 21:39
i don't think you can put a skink priest on a terradon.. i think its only chiefs

Leogun_91
02-05-2009, 21:42
Combine it with the enchanted shield and get a good armoursave on a skinkchief, can be quite usefull in small games where the chief is youīr general and you want him to be alive. All in all itīs not very usefull but many magic items arenīt and once in awhile they find their way into lists anyway.

Drayken
02-05-2009, 22:08
As wierd as it sounnds, any cunning high elf player can destroy your horned one with vaul's unmaking! he he I don't think anyone in their right mind would take it. Hopefully, it'll convince GW to put horned ones back as mount option for skinks.

selone
03-05-2009, 13:18
Thats pretty whacky, it can be unmade? Whats the rationale behind that?

Shamfrit
03-05-2009, 13:49
Scar Veteran, Horned One, Enchanted Shield, Spear, Light Armour

One very very hard nut to crack, immune to stupidity, and of course, has a bigger charge range to go zooming off on his hunter killer missions; it's certainly useful, but I'd religate it to an Oldblood with Pirahna Blade (so he can catch 2+ wound units and the like) or in 1,500 games or less when your Scar Veteran needs to be nails.

It's certainly not as terrible as some have made it out to be, it's a finesse item - in the right hands it's sublime, but it's not a take every game caus' it pwns item, like, you know, Diadem, Banehead etc.

Leth Shyish'phak
03-05-2009, 13:50
Thats pretty whacky, it can be unmade? Whats the rationale behind that?

Thats nothing compared to the problems that Law of Gold can cause :wtf:

Shamfrit
03-05-2009, 13:58
Rofl, Leth, I am tempted to use it just to give our group a headache! Which brings me to ask...I'd assume you'd just move M4 for a turn if it isn't destroyed?

selone
03-05-2009, 14:03
It really needs to be immune to that sort of hi-jinkery, I can put up with a lot of rationale that are in the ruels but dont really make sense but thats too much even for me.

bob_the_small
03-05-2009, 20:58
Fluffy southern army ?

I can't think of anything else, even the 2+ for the skink chief is not worth it.

Every army have rotten magic items anyways.

A BAD magic item for DE, Daemons and VC please?

Ultimate Life Form
03-05-2009, 21:10

Dunno. That item that allows a Vampire to sacrifice wounds for power dice always struck me as odd. Isnīt it usually the other way around? And since when is there a PD shortage in a VC army that would warrant such a dangerous move?

Personally I think a Skink Chief who wants a 2+ save should get his butt on an Ancient Stegadon and grab his Warspear. Everything else is nonsense.

sulla
03-05-2009, 21:35
DE
Web of shadows; 2d6 s3 hits on one target in cc, one use only.
Hydra's teeth;5 teeth, used as a thrown weapon. Each one that hits does d6 ws2 s3 attacks. So on a mage that throws the whole lot(why would you ever waste your whole magic allowance on this for a master?) you do an average of 12 attacks ; 6 hits; can't even wipe out a t3 fast cav unit.
Daemons
Spirit swallower; uses all of a Keeper's points allowance, regains a lost wound for each wound done... but he's ASF and 20" charge so he should always be on full wounds when he reaches combat so will never need to regain wounds that turn and should be breaking units each turn he hits. Not as useful as the siren ability that costs one fifth of the price.

And I haven't really heard what's so bad about a 16" charge saurus hero yet? He's also virtually immune to small arms and magic missiles with his toughness and armour. Not what I would call useless.

bob_the_small
03-05-2009, 21:56
And I haven't really heard what's so bad about a 16" charge saurus hero yet? He's also virtually immune to small arms and magic missiles with his toughness and armour. Not what I would call useless.

If you put him in a unit, he loses his speed, if you put him by himself, he's an easy target, as he's US 2, they don't get the other -1 to hit...

Necromancy Black
03-05-2009, 22:27
If you put him in a unit, he loses his speed, if you put him by himself, he's an easy target, as he's US 2, they don't get the other -1 to hit...

And put him into a unit of Cold Ones and he's suffering from stupidity again.

sroblin
03-05-2009, 23:00
Has there been an FAQ on this, because I have a hard time accepting that it should be treated like a magic item that can go poof for item-destruction purposes. RAW, yes I understand, but not RAI. And for the purposes of my games, I'm happy to play by what makes sense (and I say this principally as an HE player.)

It's not a clockwork creation, it's living mount bought as part of the magic item allowance. It really shouldn't be destroyable IMO.

Shamfrit
03-05-2009, 23:14
It's a Magic Item - no need for FAQ - it's enchanted, dies when it's Vaul'd, end of.

selone
03-05-2009, 23:24
Whilst that is indeed how the rule works, I can't be the only one that thinks it is a bit well, silly.

theunwantedbeing
03-05-2009, 23:37
A horned one could easily be a magical creature.
They're rare enough.

selone
03-05-2009, 23:42
Are you suggesting it is a magical creature and are you suggesting that magical creatures should be able to be vauls unmaking'ed?

W0lf
03-05-2009, 23:44

Theres plenty. Just because they are broken dosnt mean all their items are good.

Its just thing like;

Obsidian armour, sirensong, noxious vapours, master of sorcery, pendant of khaleth, ring of hotek, haeg grief, drakenhof banner, helm of commandment that get a bad press.

Shamfrit
04-05-2009, 00:52
Whilst that is indeed how the rule works, I can't be the only one that thinks it is a bit well, silly.

Like Sliding, Auto-breaking from Fear, The entire magic system, leadership/Cold Blooded and Animosity?

selone
04-05-2009, 02:00
Whats wrong with cold blooded :)?

sulla
04-05-2009, 06:22

A unit of handgunners will do less than a wound per turn if he has the enchanted shield. Less if they are standing and shooting. He can't stand up t artillery, but neither could the old nike saurus. -1 to hit is hardly a neccessity when you can get the armour save this guy can get.

Leth Shyish'phak
04-05-2009, 14:18
Whats wrong with cold blooded :)?

Well, Saurus don't seem to be at all bothered by taking a charge from a Blood Thirster, whereas at the first sign of there being just one more zombie than them they get as scared as any Gnoblar.

bob_the_small
04-05-2009, 20:10
Well, Saurus don't seem to be at all bothered by taking a charge from a Blood Thirster, whereas at the first sign of there being just one more zombie than them they get as scared as any Gnoblar.

Thats just the luck of the dice...

Shagrat
04-05-2009, 20:10

For Daemons?

Daemonic Robes is hard to beat... almost useless.

Storak
04-05-2009, 20:31
For Daemons?

Daemonic Robes is hard to beat... almost useless.

hey, the daemonic robes are fine. the guy who invented that item bought a set of the rules, afterwards...

Leth Shyish'phak
04-05-2009, 20:33

Yeah, not rolling a double one all of the time is sooo unlucky...

Zoolander
04-05-2009, 20:45

He means being outnumbered by a fear causing enemy and autobreaking , and it is a little silly, despite the lizards having a slightly better chance at it than others!

selone
04-05-2009, 21:01

ALthough to be fair thats a possible problem with the auto fear issue not cold blooded

Zoolander
04-05-2009, 21:33
ALthough to be fair thats a possible problem with the auto fear issue not cold blooded

Agreed. In the end cold blooded will be blamed for having a shortcoming, though.

Shimmergloom
04-05-2009, 22:04
They're getting cold blooded for free. They will be ok with having one shortcoming to fear that everyone who is subject to fear also has.

Necromancy Black
04-05-2009, 22:47
Doing some quick, and probably incorrect math, Cold Blooded means your about 3-4 times more likely to roll double 1.

Over time my Lizardmen most definitely have made more Snake-Eye rolls then the other armies I've played against.

Also, I really can't see a unit of Saurus warriors loosing to zombies. Not unless the dice have been really, really bad:rolleyes: