PDA

View Full Version : The Hunt For Gollum [fan movie]

Sylass
03-05-2009, 16:12
The site's suffering a bit from the traffic right now, but the fan made movie "The Hunt For Gollum" was released today.

It's a free, non profit movie available here: http://www.thehuntforgollum.com

I just finished watching it and it think it's quite good. I got the odd "Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!" (;)) feeling once, but all in all I think it's worth watching this. :)

jaws900
03-05-2009, 16:14
It's only 40 mins long too. I haven't watched it yet (Waiting for when my family are back at work/school so they arn't trying to swipe the computer of me ever 5 seconds

Brandir
03-05-2009, 17:27
I was extremely impressed with this short film.

Worth watching. Keeps in the style of Jackson's film version of LOTR and is pretty accurate from a 'historical' point of view.

The makers 'trick' for Gollum was inspired and worked.

Ghod
03-05-2009, 18:37
Yeah fair play to them, very impressive...

As said good 'trick' with Gollum, clever way to handle something that if done shoddily could have ruined the film.

erion
03-05-2009, 19:20
alas, I'm unable to get to the actual film at the moment.

AbstinentUser
03-05-2009, 20:49
only watched the first couple of minutes, but it looks good! :)

Jorgen_CAB
03-05-2009, 21:08
Just watched it, great movie.

Very compelling and well done for such a fan base production.

If you have not seen it, you really should. :)

Brandir
03-05-2009, 21:13
Next fan film is Born of Hope:

http://www.bornofhope.com/Welcome.html

tsutek
04-05-2009, 05:50
Aww shucks, now I can't watch it anymore? says the movie's set "private"..
New Line Cinema's lawyers got to them or something?

O'well, I hope I can still catch this one somehow..

Jorgen_CAB
04-05-2009, 06:43
Since when could anyone shut down something that is free and non profitable... I could run it just a few minutes ago?

Monsterzonk
04-05-2009, 06:47
I can still watch it. It's just the HD Player that's set to private. You can still watch it in HQ - even though the screen size really suffers... :(

It's a good movie anyways. Watched it yesterday. It's really well made for a low budget film, and it manages to capture that LotR feel...

EDIT: It seem's they're redoing their website atm, so the movie doesn't work right now. But they've added a "full screen" button...

Dragon Prince of Caledor
04-05-2009, 15:11
I think its very well done. How do I watch the whole film? I watched the trailers but couldnt seem to find the "film." I am a confessed computer spaz.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
04-05-2009, 15:12
Never mind. got it :D

tsutek
04-05-2009, 16:38
Finally got it working..

I have to say, it's impressive for a fanmade film, but otherwise.. I couldn't possibly compare it to the original movies (the swordfights were that awful IMO). They need a medievalist to show 'em how to fight prop4. To me it felt like they really wanted to make a TV-series version of LOTR, but didn't really plan it meticulously enough for the end result to be anything more than a "cutscene". Just because you can do something technically doesn't get you there - you still need a good story.

Desert Rain
04-05-2009, 16:49
I have only watched the trailer and so far it looks promising I must say. It looks really good for being a fan made film. I will definitely watch it later when I have the time.

Bookaroo
05-05-2009, 00:55
The site's suffering a bit from the traffic right now, but the fan made movie "The Hunt For Gollum" was released today.

It's a free, non profit movie available here: http://www.thehuntforgollum.com

I just finished watching it and it think it's quite good. I got the odd "Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!" (;)) feeling once, but all in all I think it's worth watching this. :)

Cool site !!! Thanks !!!

Vulkan454
05-05-2009, 18:36
The movie is amazing I think someone should make into a whole film. But a great film they should have made it an hour though:D

Fire Harte
05-05-2009, 20:28
That was pretty cool I think.

Ghod
05-05-2009, 20:53
The movie is amazing I think someone should make into a whole film. But a great film they should have made it an hour though:D

:D I think there might be one out allready ;)

Steam_Giant
05-05-2009, 21:25
great film ! lots of attention to detail in the costumes, and the effects and music was top notch. If i was being critical id say aragorn and gandalfs diaglogue scenes were terrible! apart from that it=s the best fan movie ive ever seen! Im hungrey for more! Whoevers making the hobbit film should snap this up the marketing potencial for the release would be huge! and also give these guys some cash they rightfully deserve!

Dragon Prince of Caledor
06-05-2009, 01:03
I thought that was awesome. :D

Ethlorien
06-05-2009, 16:59
Just watched the trailer - looks very good. I'll be watching it tonight hopefully.

Star.Scream
06-05-2009, 19:57
>>>I enjoyed their little project, its quality was not unlike the star wars fan made short Dark Resurrection. I think they did a good job with what CG they could manage, and got around using a lot of it in a very neat way.

Thanks Brandir, for the trailer for Born of Hope, that looks very neat too, I always like the stories surrounding the rangers.

RohanCaptain
07-05-2009, 03:54
I'm so excited about it, I haven't watched it yet. But after hearing about it, and reading your posts, here I go :)

jaws900
08-05-2009, 15:53
Just saw it today and I have to say that it was F#@&ing Brilliant!!!!!
Best fan mopvie I have ever seen and it would have been even better if the film had actually had thearical release so it could be twice as long.

Beithir Seun
09-05-2009, 21:30
great film, for a fan made project! it's done really well and i agree that the gollum "trick" was really good.

Ethlorien
11-05-2009, 17:37
Finally got a chance to watch this film on the weekend. It was very well done; I truly enjoyed it. Felt it blended in well with Peter Jackson's films. Very professional and exciting.

Tarkon
12-05-2009, 11:03
Very nice work!! I enjoyed watching it. You solved Gollum very nicely and included some humour in his behaviour :) ace!

Dalanshin
12-05-2009, 13:37
Fightography: BAD
adherence to Jacksonisms and Tolkeinisms: good
Costumes: good
Art Direction: great
Music: good
Acting: poor
script: poor
Gollum in a Bag idea: funny
camera: well done
casting: good
sets: good
length: WAY TOO LONG!!

Very nice for an ameteur shoot- must have been fun to make. It's a good film over all. I found the Aragorn actor to be too blankfaced throughout. The woods battles were awful- especially the Batman style takedowns of the 2 orcs near the beginning. The Gollum in a Bag idea was very funny, but after a while it loses it's charm. I loved the locations; so beautiful, all you really have to do is turn on a camera and they take care of the rest.

Nothing outsanding in this effort though; not like when Troops was made (Star Wars Spoof). It felt like a poor copy of the Jackson films, with no real spine of it's own.

Sorry for the harsh criticism! :)

mrtn
12-05-2009, 17:44
I agree with Dalanshin that some things were very good and some not so much. IIRC Gollum was actually put in a bag in the Appendices, so it wasn't just a cheap trick. :)

Lame Duck
12-05-2009, 23:02
The fights weren't that bad, not bad at all really but the dialouge seemed geared towards snippets for a trailer alot of the time.

Amazing as a limited budget amateur shoot.
Definately passable as actual professional work.

Nimh
16-05-2009, 20:03
I really enjoyed it. The scenery and costumes were A+! Fight scene was a bit lacking though.

Glabro
19-05-2009, 19:24
It was honestly good and something for all fan movies to aspire for.

Mr.Grey
28-10-2009, 14:05
as far as dialog and visuals independent did a very good job with this piece, my only quarrel was the lack of bass in audio presentation, great job