PDA

View Full Version : Hellcannon Skirmisher query

03-05-2009, 19:26
Okay since the Hellcannon counts as a monster and handler, the hell cannon benefits from the following rules correct:

It counts as skirmishers so it can go through any difficult terrain or obstacles with ease;

Fire in any direction,

Charge in any direction

I know its a large target and therefore give people the +1 to hit with ranged weapons but what about the -1 for shooting at skirmishers. I know that one is reaching.

And the move and shoot thing got FAQed so thats not a issue here.

Am I correct on this?

theunwantedbeing
03-05-2009, 19:30
You might want to read the rules for skirmishers and monsters and handlers a little more closely.

stripsteak
03-05-2009, 19:32
the -1 is only against shooting at skirmishers of us1. so it doesn't benefit from that.

Witchblade
03-05-2009, 19:35
It ignores terrain, as it moves as a skirmisher, yes.

It can fire in any direction, as it fires as a stonethrower, yes.

It cannot charge in any direction, as monsters and handlers use the monster's line of sight and position for charging and flanking purposes.

It does not receive a -1 for shooting at it, as it only moves as a skirmisher.

03-05-2009, 19:37
so its a bit of everything, but nothing like a hellcannon romping through a large forrest to get at the enemy on the other side, seems kinda wrong

Witchblade
03-05-2009, 19:49
Yeah, I think stuff like hydras and hellcannons should not be allowed to march in difficult terrain. Not having their movement halved is justified though, as they don't have to maintain a formation.

Troll in a forest: can't march, movement is halved => moves at ~3 inch per turn.

Hydra with handlers in a forest: blazes through the forest at 12 inch a turn.

Nurgling Chieftain
04-05-2009, 01:22
One more clarification: as, when charging, it is treated primarily as a single monster rather than a unit of skirmishers, its movement while charging is affected by terrain as normal. So, it can romp merrily through the forest, but charging out of it can bit a bit tough.

...I imagine that could get very weird during a rage result.

EvC
04-05-2009, 01:57
Yeah, that's the kind of thing that makes me not put my Hellcannon in difficult terrain, just cos it's so annoying...

jaxom
05-05-2009, 14:09
One more clarification: as, when charging, it is treated primarily as a single monster rather than a unit of skirmishers, its movement while charging is affected by terrain as normal. So, it can romp merrily through the forest, but charging out of it can bit a bit tough.

Can I get a rules reference on that? (Is it Monster&Handlers from the BRB?)

I assume that the same could be said for a Hydra and since I play DE sometimes that's one I would like more information on.

Necromancy Black
05-05-2009, 15:04
Yes, it is in the BRB in the monsters and handlers section.

You'll noticed that is says the handlers are ignored when charging. The second Warhammer FAQ confirmed that this means it is affected by terrain when charging. Grab it off the website and have a read,

Mercules
05-05-2009, 15:54
Yeah... the rules for the Hell Cannon are really bizarre. Charging it moves 6" but it seems that normal movement would be 3". Rampaging is 3d6 and sometimes it can go through woods and sometimes not.

Say it rolls 13" on a Rampage and brushes into a woods. It contacts the unit it was headed for so now it gets to declare a charge, but on a charge it moves 1/2 speed through the woods but now it fails the charge... or does it? or...

It gets weird.