PDA

View Full Version : How common are they?

Reaver83
03-05-2009, 19:31
I've been spending a bit of time recently playing in not just my local GW but making forays to other nearby GW's and also a couple fo local tournements.

I've played hundreds of games against many many different people.

I've never played

Large squads of Nob Bikers
2 DP with Lash and lots of Oblits
Gazkull and a see of boys
Eldrad and Yriel
Fatecrusher builds
Inquisitors with Mystics
Nidzilla

About the worst I've ever played was an almost all crisis Tau army and a 3 Exorcist SOB army.

So is it just I play against nice people, or do people really see all these lists all the time

Laser guided fanatic
03-05-2009, 19:34
I admit I have never played against these fromages most of the people at my local GW seem oblivious to the fact that different lists increase/decrease your win chances.

BuFFo
03-05-2009, 19:51
Reaver83, welcome to the internet!

Remember, what you are reading on 40k sites is actually a tiny percentage of players in 40k worldwide.

For example, at my local hobby/comic book store, there are easily 60+ 40k players in a 30 mile radius according to the store employees.

About 40ish of them game at their homes. They form their own groups, and have nothing to do with playing in the store.

So that leaves about 20ish people who play at the store, on and off. Out of the 20, I can say that only about 5 of us even go to 40k websites. The other 15 are the players who we teach all the new dirty tricks, combos and rules.

So anecdotaly, thats about 25% of the 40k players in my area who use the internet for 40k army building.

Now, out of those 60, only about 8ish of us play in tourneys. This of course is anecdotal evidence by the store's employees who hear who is going to tournies and what not.

What you see online is the same as taking a telescope and shoving it into the hull of a battleship. Sure, the section you are seeing may contain those army builds, because lets face it, the majority of online army lists never get built. The rest of the big battleship, the big picture, has no clue what the hell a double lash is, or what that hell a Fatecrusher build is.

40k is NOT like Magic the gathering, where the meta game is everything. 40k is still a relaxing hobby for most. It is not a cut throat tourney game where everyone and their mother is netdeck-building their armies.

Sort of like adult films. If thats what you think sex really is, you are setting yourself up for failure. Same with movies, politics, etc....

Now of course, I am sure in some rare gaming circles you may come across power builds like you breath air.

So out of the areas 60ish people, I have personally played against Nob Bikers and Nidzilla. My other friend proxies double lash, but he never actually built the army, so he doesn't count.

MajorWesJanson
03-05-2009, 20:20
Eldrad and Yriel
Inquisitors with Mystics
Nidzilla

Where I play, Nidzilla shows up at times, Eldrad is a fixed member of most eldar lists, Gaz shows up when our Ork player does, and I play Inquisitor with mystics sometimes.

Orcboy_Phil
03-05-2009, 20:26
Gazhkull is a common sight around here. The rest of the builds not so much. I tried Nidzilla for a while and just didn't enjoy it. I much preferred my warrior list.

chaoslordmassurgi
03-05-2009, 20:34
i play a sick 500pt list but i dont think that it counts as you are all talking about bigger games but here it is anyway-
big mek
troops
deff dredd
10 gretchin runtherd
elites
7 lootas
heavy
3 killa kanz rokkits
deff dredd,2 scorchas
500pts
if any one can beat that then i will be happy,i dont think any one can take it all out in enough tuns to beat me...im not a nob i only never build dirty lists and this is the first time i have done any thing like this, it was an accident.:)

Lovejoy
03-05-2009, 20:35
Nidzilla I've come across a few times - I think mostly because people really like the Carnifex kit!
Also played against armies with multiple Oblits a lot too.

But the rest, I've not seen yet.

Cry of the Wind
03-05-2009, 20:38
I can say I have played against all of those except for the Eldrad and Yriel and Fatecrusher builds (never seen a 40k deamon army yet...).

As far as how common, I would say almost never at a 'friendly' table but maybe one or two of each power build per tournament I go to. Besides the Orks most power lists seem to score only average at those tournaments anyway so it isn't really a big deal.

Nezmith
03-05-2009, 21:37
I have encountered Nidzilla, Dual Lash + Obliterators, and a Large Squad of Nob Bikers. Lost every single time, (Being Necron) and the players admitted that they tried the list from the Net, but that is only three players, so they are the exception not the rule.

EVIL INC
03-05-2009, 22:03
Most of those are "urban legends" in that everyone "knows someone who saw it somewhere" but are actually so rare that there is no reason for the fuss that some tactically impaired players make over them.

PotMS
04-05-2009, 00:28
Heh, ive only ever been to one tornament and i encoundered 3 off your list... one of them twice(nidzilla) in 5 games. sea of orks i could handle and dual lash i knew was a bad match but 2 nidzilla lists... the TO even said sorry to me at the end saying how i played against all the ****'s in the store.

Vaktathi
04-05-2009, 00:35
Large squads of Nob Bikers Seen it a couple times.

2 DP with Lash and lots of Oblits See it at almost every event.

Gazkull and a see of boys green tides yes, all the time actually, but not with Ghazkull

Eldrad and Yriel Lots.

Fatecrusher builds
Inquisitors with Mystics never seen either of these, although I don't really think they are all that bad.

Nidzilla
A lot, most Nid armies these days.

Qldkiwi
04-05-2009, 02:01
I've played 2 games so far.

I play Orks and have played against a Nidzilla list ( won, even took down Nidzilla with a squad of 3 killa kans ) and a Necron list with 2 Monoliths ( lost, I need to add some heavy support to my army, although my warboss did take down one monolith in the 5th turn )

mughi3
04-05-2009, 02:09
Large squads of Nob Bikers
-check been eaten by that

2 DP with Lash and lots of Oblits
-check, saw lots of that at the tournament, not so much at our LGS since we knoe how to deal with it.

-not very often..serously do you want to place and put away the green tide?

Eldrad and Yriel
-check, see eldrad at least in every eldar army i face and sometime Yriel

Fatecrusher builds
- nope

Inquisitors with Mystics
.check, been on the recieving end of them many times and explained to tactic to one of our GK players, he uses them in every game now.

Nidzilla
-check, i have spent at least the last couple years being horribly mauled by one version of another of it.

MrGiggles
04-05-2009, 02:14
I don't see Nob Bikers much around here, but I'm also one of the only Ork players in the area. The monster Nob Biker lists tend to need a good quantity of bikes and possibly some converting. I'd probably give them a go in terms of modelling, but they just don't sound that interesting to run. At the very least, you're fielding a couple of 400+ point units in a normal sized game. No mystery that a 1500 - 2000 point army finds it hard to deal with.

I see the Lash Prince builds every once in a while.

I use the Green Tide every now and then, but mostly just for shooting gallery games. The fact that it takes a long time to play and I've not colour coded the bases on my Slugga Boyz yet means I don't take this to store games much. Just too many models to worry on.

Nidzilla is pretty common, mostly because it's effective, contains the giant tank eating bugs that bug players love and it's portable enough to do in a few models (if you want a Fex and Stealer list that is).

I haven't run into a Fate Crusher build yet, but there aren't many Demon players that I've run into up here, at least very few who weren't just book jumping. Fatecrusher builds definitely require you to want to get into Demons given the price of the models involved.

Inquisitors with Mystics, I've actually never seen. There are a couple of Grey Knights players around town, but they don't seem to go much for the Inquisitor or Inquisitor Lord. Realistically though, Mystics lists are really one trick ponies. They're nasty as hell against deep strikers and offer no advantage against infiltrators and units with normal deployment.

In terms of my area, the Anti-MEQ builds are still dominant. Take the last tourney I was at. We had 8 tables running. One Eldar player, my buddy's Demons, my Grotz and the rest of the players all had various flavours of Marines.