PDA

View Full Version : Awkward charge scenario

Witchblade
04-05-2009, 12:16
I experienced a rather awkward charging scenario in a recent game. I attached a magnificent MS paint drawn picture to depict it.

The knights are frenzied and it's their turn, so they have to charge. On their left is the table edge, which means that they cannot line up to charge the ogres without bumping into the archers. They also cannot charge the archers without hitting the ogres, because they have no room to wheel.

Thus, they have to declare a multi-charge which would result in them lining up diagonally and only being in base contact with 1 or 2 ogres and 1 or 2 archers with 2 knights total: the corner of 1 knight on the left of the unit would touch the front rank of the ogres and the corner of 1 knight on the right of the unit would touch the front rank of the archers.

How would the units line up for combat? Moreover, how would you maximize models in contact?

Conotor
04-05-2009, 12:34
You would line up normally against the archers. After you touch them u line or normally regardless of what your unit has to go threw.

Nurgling Chieftain
04-05-2009, 13:17
You're going to hit both units, which is fine. In a case like this the align-the-combatants step is likely to move all three units, which is allowed when necessary. When the charge is complete, the ogres and archers should be shoulder-to-shoulder in a single line facing the knights.

Da GoBBo
04-05-2009, 13:33
I agree with da Nurgling. You should first move the knights so it touches both enemy units, than align those 2 units against the knights. See page 21, aligning the combatants.

Witchblade
04-05-2009, 16:37
You're going to hit both units, which is fine. In a case like this the align-the-combatants step is likely to move all three units, which is allowed when necessary. When the charge is complete, the ogres and archers should be shoulder-to-shoulder in a single line facing the knights.
That seems reasonable, but is it RAW or common sense?

As for the order of aligning, do you align the ogres first and then shove the archers into their side? Since the archers would now move through a friendly unit and end up sliding, I imagine a case could be made that the ogres would have to move instead to maximize models in contact.

BTW, p.21 says to align the charger and the charged units, but it does not specify how to do that. It refers to their website for more examples, which I am going to look at now.

Edit: maybe I just can't find it, but the GW site does not list any 'charge scenarios' under Warhammer Fantasy, gaming articles or FAQs.

Nurgling Chieftain
04-05-2009, 17:16
That seems reasonable, but is it RAW or common sense?RaW. Any enemy unit you touch when aligning the combatants gets drawn into the combat. If the charger cannot possibly align properly, the charged must also align.

As for the order of aligning...There are a truly dizzying array of possible scenarios, so it's pretty much just a case of setting it up as best you can.

Milgram
04-05-2009, 21:16
you do not have to charge both units. you can touch one. if alligning then is not possible because terrain or other units are in the way, it is OK to move the charged unit. so it only comes down to hit the desired unit first... wheter it is possible to hit the archers first or not, in the picture above it would be possible, but only for as accurate as it is.

The Red Scourge
04-05-2009, 21:42
The GW rule for this scenario is "Just fudge it." :)