PDA

View Full Version : Daerk Elves = Rise of the Lycans?

Col. Dash
04-05-2009, 11:28
I saw this movie this weekend and while I found it to be a great movie on a purely action level I noticed something. Was it just me or did the vampires all look like dark elves? The armor was fairly reminescent of DE armor. Also, those repeating crossbows looked exactly like the DE versions. Ok, so the ballistas were not exactly the same and they didnt have pointed ears, but hey. Is this a case of someone using something of GWs for inspiration for once and not the other way around?

Edit: Holy crap did I really mispell dark elves in the subject line?

W0lf
04-05-2009, 11:30
Not really. Dark elves arnt really that far removed from vampires and tbh they are just evil elves, hardly original.

If anything id say DE are a stolen hybrid of Elves+Vampires anyway. Look at malus darkblade he could easily be a vampire.

swarmofseals
04-05-2009, 12:24
While it's likely coincidence, I wouldn't be at all surprised that GW material served as "inspiration" for the film. After all, the entire franchise was practically plagiarized from White Wolf's World of Darkness.

dijit80
04-05-2009, 12:25
Not really. Dark elves arnt really that far removed from vampires and tbh they are just evil elves, hardly original.

If anything id say DE are a stolen hybrid of Elves+Vampires anyway. Look at malus darkblade he could easily be a vampire.
I've gotta be quite agreed with W0lf on this one. The dark elves look is pretty classic, and hardly original by GW.

Shamfrit
04-05-2009, 12:38
Having been callled Drow since 1975 or so, at the very least; in the Dungeons and Dragons environment.

Col. Dash
04-05-2009, 13:19
While the concept of dark elves isnt new by any means. The current look of DE is what I was referring to as far as the movie goes. Drow from DnD look very different from druchi in warhammer. However the druchi and the vamps look very similar to each other in the movie.

Ward.
04-05-2009, 14:08
Having been callled Drow since 1975 or so, at the very least; in the Dungeons and Dragons environment.

I don't think anyone has ever mistaken a drow for a Dark elf, even in the most hardcore of DnD circles it's still a pretty huge leap.

OP: I didn't really notice much of a similarity but I'd hazard a guess that they based the look on the LOTR elves (from the movies), so far as general aesthetic is concerned.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
04-05-2009, 14:12
I think he was referring to the candle-flame helmets. The similarity is marginal, but it's a valid question.

I kaelis ra
04-05-2009, 16:38
Not really. Dark elves arnt really that far removed from vampires and tbh they are just evil elvesI don't think off them as evil at all just passionate about what they do like all elves
If anything id say DE are a stolen hybrid of Elves+Vampires anyway. Look at malus darkblade he could easily be a vampireNow i'dd have to disagree here 2 Dark Elves are one off the most classic fantasy figures even tolkien had "dark" elves

neXus6
04-05-2009, 17:45
After all, the entire franchise was practically plagiarized from White Wolf's World of Darkness.
No I'm sorry you can't expect me to believe that noone had the idea of werewolves and vampires being in the same world before White Wolf did it, not to mention that Underworld doesn't really take anything from the old World of Darkness line and it pre-dates the new WoD line.

I agree that it is very unlikely that GW or Dark Elves were seen as an inspiration, as others have said none of the themes are entirely original. I would love to put a RotL dark elf army together though, converting them to be closer to the films image. :p

Condottiere
04-05-2009, 18:18
White Wolf managed to combine various supernatural concepts successfully in a gothic punk setting. Like D&D, they created the yardstick to measure the follow ups against.

GraveGuard
04-05-2009, 18:30
Actually there is a few more things in common that you first think.

They use Repeating weapons.
They were gothic and dark armour and dark robes.
Single Edged Weapons.
The whole Gaunt, pale Vampire Look.
The buildings/the Vampire castle has a very Druchii look to it.
They are both slavers though with the Vampires its werewolves (but i'm sure Druchii wouldn't have aproblem with Lycan slaves).
Viktor (Head Vampire) has a personal retinue that doesn't speak, are better fighters than the rest and were skull masks, just like Mal's Endless.

Underworld didn't really take anything much from White Wolf that they themselves didn't take from anywhere else. Underworld was/is bascially Romeo & Juliet - 2 Families, 1from each side falls in love with other, parents disagree, fighting ensues, people die. - Differance being Parents Die and Children Live.

There's a giant rant on the net by the author K Hamilton (Female Vamp fiction Writer). She gets very agnry about how there's nothing originial about Underworld and the Vampires arn't realistic/believeable "duh" because they can do things like run in big boots and heavy Leather coats and she (old female human writer) can't do the same in deep snow therefore they are rubbish.

Zoolander
04-05-2009, 21:41
I think the vampires do look a LOT like Druchii, but it still could just be coincidence. Either way, they looked awesome!

As for the movies (all three, not just this last one) plagiarizing WoD books - definitely. Maybe werewolves and vampires exisited before then, but not in the setting that WoD put them in - that was original, and it was copied in a very flattering light by the movies. If I was White Wolf, I'd be honored by the movies. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, after all.

neXus6
04-05-2009, 23:29
There's a giant rant on the net by the author K Hamilton (Female Vamp fiction Writer). She gets very agnry about how there's nothing originial about Underworld and the Vampires arn't realistic/believeable "duh" because they can do things like run in big boots and heavy Leather coats and she (old female human writer) can't do the same in deep snow therefore they are rubbish.

This would be the same L K Hamilton whos books went from not to bad for the first couple to the character doing nothing but shagging around and having super powers...yes cause she's been SO original with the supernatural. :p

Zoolander I personally still don't see much imitation the setting in general is far from original. However if you look a little deeper into the overall background of the underworld films and WoD they are fairly different. No human organisation trying to destroy supernatural creatures, no looming apocalypse, any gothic/punk overtones simply come from basic ingrained vampire themes.

Ah well...
Does anyone know how white wolf vs sony lawsuit actually ended, because obviously sony went on to release 2 more movies, so either white wolf got paid off or lost.
The latter wouldn't surprise me though seeing as their lawsuit contained such gems as:
"In the World of Darkness, silver weapons harm werewolves. In Underworld, silver weapons harm werewolves."
:D

cornixt
05-05-2009, 02:19
I don't see how they could win. Their claim was on the first film, which wasn't actually a romance (although the second was) and there wasn't anything other than both containing vampires and werewolves, which is not original anyway.

Originality is very rare, and over-rated.

Eumerin
05-05-2009, 07:22
Haven't seen the movie, but...

Actually there is a few more things in common that you first think.

They use Repeating weapons.

These turn up from time to time in various locations. I know that I saw them even before I first saw them in the Dark Elf book, although I couldn't tell you where. And they're always crossbows.

They were gothic and dark armour and dark robes.

i.e. typecast vampires - I wouldn't really chalk this one up to imitating the druchii.

Single Edged Weapons.

Katanas are the "hip" blade weapon these days, and they've only got one edge. If anything, the druchii seem to owe a bit more than is acknowledged to Japanese samurai. For instance, their spears are basically naginata and the picture of a Cold One Knight in the 6th edition army book shows the knight wearing what is basically a Daisho (the matched pair of long and short blades that members of the samurai caste wore).

The whole Gaunt, pale Vampire Look.

See point #2...

The buildings/the Vampire castle has a very Druchii look to it.

This turns up in D&D as well. For instance, the CRPG Baldur's Gate 2 (which had an extended sequence inside a drow city) featured architecture that wouldn't look out of place in a druchii city.

They are both slavers though with the Vampires its werewolves (but i'm sure Druchii wouldn't have aproblem with Lycan slaves).

Not exactly uncommon in the ancient world. And slavery even exists today (although it's kept mostly out of sight).

Viktor (Head Vampire) has a personal retinue that doesn't speak, are better fighters than the rest and were skull masks, just like Mal's Endless.

Or the Phoenix Guard (except that they don't wear masks).

It's interesting to note similarities between the two, but I wouldn't put too much emphasis on them. It's not as if a lot of the stuff that GW has done can't be found elsewhere.

Which is a good thing when, for instance, you decide that you'd like an army made up of the retinue of a long dead pharoah...

Lordmonkey
05-05-2009, 08:50
Depends on how you envisage Dark Elves. It seems to match up with GW's miniature style but not, for example, my vision. SInce this includes a chibi Dark Elf Lord riding a Manti-kitty (kitten with wings) who is looking rather cross, and Domo-Kun as the Hydra, i'm pretty open to any interpretation...

isidril93
05-05-2009, 19:21
to be honest most people (long ago) used to believe in vamps...not sure about werewolves though
dracula was meant to be a guy who had a skin disease that turned him white (micheal jackson anyone? :P). the images could have been brought from there with a mix of loads of other things...NOTHING is original, everything is influenced