PDA

View Full Version : [Wotr] Call me really stupid if you want...

Waaagh Grignak
04-05-2009, 11:39
Like the title says, you can call me really stupid if you want but no where can i find if a terror causing formation (e.g Elves) has to take a terror test for charging another terror causing formation (e.g troll)?

To me its an obvious no, but i cant find confirmation of a yey or nay?

Anyone help me out here please?

SJBenoist
04-05-2009, 12:02
Terror does NOT grant immunity to Terror.

The Elves would need to make a C test, just like everyone else.

Waaagh Grignak
04-05-2009, 12:09
Many thanks mate! I had thought it wrong, like in warhmmer.

Jorgen_CAB
04-05-2009, 12:13
That is correct, though we have a house rule... no terror causing creature need to pass a courage test against another creature of it's own kind.
So two elf armies do not need to pass Terror to engage each other in combat, neither will two trolls. That was at least logical too us.

Waaagh Grignak
04-05-2009, 19:52
I'd go with that :)

SJBenoist
05-05-2009, 02:14
I expect it may very well get FAQ'd to work the way it does in WHFB (though I've been wrong before).

dvdhwk
05-05-2009, 05:13
I expect it may very well get FAQ'd to work the way it does in WHFB (though I've been wrong before).

Matt Ward carried that over from the SBG, where Terror does not cancel out like it does in WHFB.

SJBenoist
05-05-2009, 08:54
I see. Thanks.

I never played the SBG, though now that I have the figs I intend to give it a try.

Guardian of the Rage
05-05-2009, 09:07
The Dark Lord Sauron would clearly have to summon courage to assault 1 wood elf?!?!?

We noticed this before release, and you are right; no model is granted immunity to terror simply by virtue of being a terror causing creature itself.

The house rule seems appropriate to maintain ones sanity.

Regards,
GotR

Sarah S
07-05-2009, 19:00
What wasn't the Dark Lord Sauron terrified of?

The rules in the book work perfectly fine.

Angelust
08-05-2009, 16:31
Yeah, I always cringe when my Balrog or what-not start failing terror tests against some 30 pt unit... sad times..

someone2040
11-05-2009, 06:16
Besides, I think even Elves could be pretty freaked out by a Balrog or Dragon.
So it's not just a case of big things being scared of little things, but little things also being able to be scared by big things.

moar barmu
12-05-2009, 21:43
Are there any Dwarf untis or heroes that cause Terror?

fracas
13-05-2009, 01:41
maybe terror infantry should test against terror-cav, and terror cav should test against terror-monsters

15-05-2009, 20:10
That is correct, though we have a house rule... no terror causing creature need to pass a courage test against another creature of it's own kind.
So two elf armies do not need to pass Terror to engage each other in combat, neither will two trolls. That was at least logical too us.

Jorgen, you actually play like-on-like battles! Elves on elves?!? For shame! Heresey! (And, yes, I am very aware of the dust-up between the Noldor and the Teleri in the Undying Lands when the Noldor tried to take their ships by force on their way back to Beleriand.)

And I thought you were one of my most zealous comrades-in-arms in adherence to thematic plausibility (if not outright purity)! :p

For the love of Tolkien...:cries:

Jorgen_CAB
17-05-2009, 00:16
Well, that was en example... :) ...but I think that you know that.

Though, two trolls I have seen on the battlefield on opposing sides. Evil vs. Evil would probably not be that uncommon in a thematic yet fictional battle. :)

Sarah S
17-05-2009, 04:50
Like on like battles are unavoidable. An army is an incredibly substantial investment. If someone shows up with the same army, refusing a game because you happened to bring the same force is incredibly short-sighted and rude.

Jorgen_CAB
17-05-2009, 14:04
Like on like battles are unavoidable. An army is an incredibly substantial investment. If someone shows up with the same army, refusing a game because you happened to bring the same force is incredibly short-sighted and rude.

Well, that is just not how games are played where I come from. Here everyone knows what armies are out there and you ask someone that you like to play with. So the risk are very low and few people like to play Evil vs Evil or Good vs Good anyway.

Myself I have both an Evil and a Good army so I can pretty much play against anyone.

Nu Fenix
17-05-2009, 14:47
I have the opposite, where there are few WOTR gamers, I am lucky if they even brought their army with them and not one of their other games instead.

Waited for someone with a WOTR army at my local GW for over two hours until I got a game, and Saturdays are the busiest day. Ended up playing a young lad with a 1500 point Elf army, that had Gil-galad, Elrond, Legolas, Cirdan and Gwahir, worth over half his army.

Beggar's can't be choosers in my area :(