PDA

View Full Version : Lance Formation question

dal9ll
04-05-2009, 17:46
Quick question:

When using Bretonnian Knights and the Lance Formation, which models get to attack and for how many rounds? I know the front rank and the Knights on the outside of the column can attack, but is it just for the first round of combat or when they charge, or every round, or what?

I ask because I played a game recently against Brets where my opponent said the front rank AND the outside Knights get to attack every round of combat. This seems too good to be true, honestly. Was he right or was he misinterpreting the Lance Formation rule?

Side question:
Is there a limit on how many of the outside Knights get to attack? Whats to keep people from running one super-long column of Knights and just taking a billion Lance Formation attacks?

Thanks everyone!

Malorian
04-05-2009, 17:48
The lance is just for the first round, so if you hit them and they didn't break you might want to expand your ranks to get more attacks in the next round. (Tell him to show it in the book next time.)

Well for starters it has to fit in the deployment zone and secondly there comes a point where you are putting too much into a unit that you can just redirect and flank.

theunwantedbeing
04-05-2009, 17:58
Erm...why did you just not ask at the time?

Nurgling Chieftain
04-05-2009, 18:03
Is there a limit on how many of the outside Knights get to attack?Nope.

Whats to keep people from running one super-long column of Knights and just taking a billion Lance Formation attacks?Depends on what you mean by "super-long". The unit selections do have maximum sizes - 15 for the troops. I've never seen anybody take units of larger than 9, though, and 6 is really common. At 12 you'd cap out your rank bonus.

Malorian
04-05-2009, 18:03
Erm...why did you just not ask at the time?

Trust is one of the best, and most disadvantageous, qualities a person can have...

DarkTerror
04-05-2009, 18:19
Trust is one of the best, and most disadvantageous, qualities a person can have...

I ask about everything I don't know, though I have played for a long time, so it's not an excessive amount. However, some people on this site seem to think it's either: A) Rude or an accusation of cheating or B) A waste of time.

In a game where RAW is king, reading how things are worded is worth its weight in gold. I say you should read everything for yourself once.

Milgram
04-05-2009, 21:19
btw: the horses can attack as well in lance formation. that is one thing I get asked regularly wenn playing with my brets.

Nurgling Chieftain
05-05-2009, 02:02
In a game where RAW is king...This is not supposed to be such a game.