PDA

View Full Version : Death Strike Launchers?

Hrw-Amen
04-05-2009, 20:55
Has anyone got any info on Death Strike launchers? Looking at the picture in the new IG codex it looks like they are based, as are so many things, on the Chimera chasis. Now I don't have a problem with that in principle as we all know a good tank chasis is often utilised for more than one thing. Having said that though looking back into my arsenal of old White Dwarfs, annuals and catalogues it appears in Epic that the Death Strike launcher was somewhat bigger than a Chimera. Admittedly not as big as a Baneblade but somewhere in between.

Is this a case of the new codex just getting it wrong, or is the chasis something that looks like a Chimera at a distance but is in fact bigger, or is the term 'Death strike' either in realtion to the launcher or the missile just a generic term that can be used to represent all sorts of different large missiles and launchers that vary widely in size and the only thing common to them all is that they lauch larger than average projectiles?

Maidel
04-05-2009, 21:31
I think its a chimera this time - but it wasnt before...

sorry for the usless answer - but GW do change stuff sometimes (all the time in fact)

AndrewGPaul
04-05-2009, 21:35
The original Deathstrike missile, introduced in 2nd edition Space Marine, was on a unique tracked launch vehicle, smaller than the Leman Russ or Basilisk chassis. The missile itself was in two types, looking like a cruise missile or a Doodlebug. The carrier was roughly as long as a basilisk was wide, and half as wide as a basilisk.* It also behaved like a cruise missile rather than a ballistic missile - you could fly the thing around the board for a few turns, and the enemy could try to shoot it down. I've still got a couple somewhere. For added confusion, the term "Deathstrike" has been used for at least 2, possibly three, different weapon systems in the 40K universe - Warlord titans could be fitted with a Deathstrike centreline cannon, which replaced the titan's head with a monstrous gun.

The model was updated in Epic 40,000, to the current look, of a small ballistic missile on a Chimera-variant carrier.

*By the way, when the Chimera was first introduced into Space Marine (as a transport vehicle reserved for Titan Legion tech-guard), it was described as a variant of the Basilisk chassis :)

freelancer
05-05-2009, 13:55
Doodlebug

This name is so completely awesome that I require an explanation of this. lol What is a "Doodlebug"?

DapperAnarchist
05-05-2009, 14:09
German WW2 ballistic missiles. Officially, the V1 and V2 rockets. British Air Raid Wardens took to calling them Doodlebugs, for some reason - think it was the buzzing noise the engine made.

a squig
05-05-2009, 14:15
you are correct, they were given enough fuel to get to target then they fell out of the sky and blew up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb

pookie
05-05-2009, 14:26
you are correct, they were given enough fuel to get to target then they fell out of the sky and blew up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb

or shot out of the sky if they could be intercepted by British Fighters.

borithan
05-05-2009, 14:55
Or by flak... V1's at least. V2s were un-interceptable at the time.

BaloOrk
05-05-2009, 18:09
This is my reference for the "Deathstrike". :) (im probably not alone)

SCUD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scud

projectkmo
05-05-2009, 23:35
this guy has a great thread on making them from Chimeras with some background info etc. Might be helpful
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181451&highlight=deathstrike

Orca
06-05-2009, 02:52
or shot out of the sky if they could be intercepted by British Fighters.

Or flipped over by a particularly cunning/insane pilot using the wing on his Hurricane as a weapon.

Ddraiglais
07-05-2009, 06:17
I would say that using a chimera chasis is a way for GW to easily introduce the deathstrike to 40K. I'm sure it also saves them a lot of money not having to make a new chasis.

orangesm
07-05-2009, 14:18
The Epic version (which is 10+ years old) is a Chimera chassis from all appearances.

Chaos and Evil
07-05-2009, 15:09
The Epic version (which is 10+ years old) is a Chimera chassis from all appearances.

Indeed, the Deathstrike missile has been based on the Chimera hull in Epic ever since the mid 90's.

Benign
07-05-2009, 15:12
Good thing they dont carry Vortex Missles anymore!

AndrewGPaul
07-05-2009, 17:08
Plasma warheads were much better - D6+1 blast templates rather than just one. OK, so you had to roll to kill the targets rather than annihilating them instantly, but you could still wipe out most of a detachment in one go.

SonofUltramar
07-05-2009, 19:30
Or flipped over by a particularly cunning/insane pilot using the wing on his Typhoon as a weapon.

Fixed that for you;)

AFAIK the Deathstrike has been based on the Chimera chassis when they released an updated model for it in Epic 40,000 which must be 10-15 years ago so hardly recent.

I suggest waiting until Forgeworld does a model and that way we'll know for sure

Xavier
07-05-2009, 23:40
Fixed that for you;)

They had typhoons back then?

AndrewGPaul
08-05-2009, 00:01
Yup. Entered service in 1940, apparently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Typhoon

Made a habit of blowing up German tanks with rockets.

In any case, it appears that neither Hurricanes nor Typhoons were used to intercept V1s; Spitfires, Tempests and Meteors, apparently:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb#Countermeasures

Sai-Lauren
08-05-2009, 15:56
Basically, they're vehicle launched ICBM's - and they're completely impractical for the 40k/Epic battlefield. They're mostly used for long-range heavy strategic bombardment - bridges, defense installations, transport nexus's etc (a Tomahawk would be a small, short range Deathstrike).

Forge World I could understand doing them as an objective for a mission (get if free, defend it for a minimum of x turns, and roll a dice to see if it launches, adding 1 for each additional turn beyond x), but GW itself?

As for the Chimera hull, well, that's just to make the model easier for GW to produce - it's just another couple of frames or FW resin parts, rather than a whole new kit.