PDA

View Full Version : Mordia / Mordian

x-esiv-4c
05-05-2009, 11:25
The new IG codex does a pretty nice job of explaning and fleshing out non-Cadian IG forces. I was reading the Mordian Iron Guard entry and it mentioned that they came from the planet Mordian. For some reason I was under the impression they came from Mordia and the demonym was Mordian. Am I imagining things?

Latro_
05-05-2009, 11:30
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mordian_Iron_Guard

It reads better if you say they are from 'Mordia' though. I assume they called the planet Mordian so it didnt sound like a bit like cadia with an m

boogle
05-05-2009, 11:45
Mordia sounds better, to be honest i always thought it was rather than Mordian

Sir_Turalyon
05-05-2009, 11:48
It's Mordia; whoever was writing few lines about Mordians in new codex just did not do his research.

EDIT: Above is wrong, by bad. Should bother to do research mysef :cries: .

Lord Gabriel Lupus
05-05-2009, 12:10
I figured it was Mordia - and they had Mordians.
Like it's Terra - and we are Terrans.
And Cadia - Cadians
Vostroya - Vostryans
etc etc

But its a big galaxy... clerical errors etc :p lol

Bloodknight
05-05-2009, 14:30
The planet's name is Mordian. Has been that way in 2nd edition, 3rd edition and again in 5th (there are several official maps of the galaxy that show the planet as Mordian). Probably in 1st, too, but I am too lazy to check. They just screwed up on the website, calling the planet Mordia, IIRC.

edward3h
05-05-2009, 15:14
Probably in 1st, too, but I am too lazy to check.

The several metal IG regiments, including the Mordians, were largely a 2nd ed. invention. For most of 1st ed. the Guard were portrayed as much more standardised, as represented by the original plastic box set.
http://www.solegends.com/citcat89/c890008plasimpguard.htm

According to
http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994120-02.htm
the first Catachan Jungle Fighters had appeared in 1994, but the other regiments came later.

Plastic Parody
05-05-2009, 15:18
It was definitely 'Mordia' from the old WD, was quite a good story as I recall.

Bloodknight
05-05-2009, 15:25
One of the fluff texts in one of the RT books refers to guard (army at that point...) regiment from a hive world named Mordion. I guess that was later made into Mordian.

When they started writing Mordia on the website, roughly 8 years after I started playing them, I wondered if these people don't read their own old fluff. ;)

Catachan Jungle Fighters

The planet isn't Catacha, isn't it? ;)

The guard doesn't use demonyms in their nomenclature of regiments. It's the 8th Necromunda (not Necromundan), 8th Cadia (not Cadian), xyz Catachan, and xy Mordian.

Lord Gabriel Lupus
05-05-2009, 23:51
Bloodknight, I'm not convinced... they're referred to as the 8th Cadian in the new dex - quoting page25, The battle for Tyrok Fields "...Creed orders the CADIAN 190th..."

Also, the planet Minerva (Segmentum Solar), has regiments reffered to as the Minervan xth, and Valhalla (Segmentum Ultima) has Valhallan Ice Warriors. So they can/do use demonyms. I think it generally revolves around whether adding an "n" to the end makes the word flow better (if you see what I mean).

But as I mentioned earlier, it's a big galaxy and admin errors do happen...

boogle
05-05-2009, 23:59
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mordian - taken almost word for word from the original article by Rick Priestley

Cane
06-05-2009, 00:00
Mordia....sounds a lot like something from the LOTR movies but I can't quite put my finger on it.

HELP ME LOTR FANS!

boogle
06-05-2009, 00:02
Mordor perhaps?

Slipknotman21
06-05-2009, 00:06
Moria?? Or mordor

Lord Gabriel Lupus
06-05-2009, 00:07
Moria... as in "The Mines of Moria"

Cane
06-05-2009, 00:15
Ah yes Moria, thanks for the help guys it was one of those things that just bothers ya because you can't remember it. Sorry for the tangent!

Sir_Turalyon
06-05-2009, 10:08
*Digs up 2nd edition Guard Codex* .

Gasp! It is Mordian, not Mordia, after all. My bad for posting first and checking later (but that 2nd ed codex was really well dug in, and I was really sure it's Mordia in first place...)

Inquisitor S.
06-05-2009, 11:15
they're referred to as the 8th Cadian in the new dex - quoting page25, The battle for Tyrok Fields "...Creed orders the CADIAN 190th..."

Simple: if it's after the number it's a noun and the correct form is without an "n". If it's in front of the number it's an adjective, thus the "n". And indeed it always was Mordian for the planet name.

EDITED: @Bloodknight: of course I meant Mordian with an "n", my keyboard just omitted that ;) And I also remember Mordion, however there is no connection between Mordian and Mordion that springs to my mind (apart from the similar names).

Bloodknight
06-05-2009, 11:28
@ Inquisitor S.: you meant Mordian, didn't you? ;)

RichBlake
06-05-2009, 12:14
To be honest I always assumed the "Mordian Iron Guard" came from "Mordia" simply off basic English. I assumed when I saw it in the new codex it was a typo but apprently it's been that way for a while.

If Cadia was called Cadian then the people from the planet would still be called "Cadians" I suppose, it's just a bad choice of planet name :p

Lord Gabriel Lupus
06-05-2009, 14:07
Simple: if it's after the number it's a noun and the correct form is without an "n". If it's in front of the number it's an adjective, thus the "n". And indeed it always was Mordian for the planet name.

That makes sense Inquisitor S - I think that clears the "n" issue up nicely. I think the main area tht may have caused confusion is the whole Cadia/Cadian - as the cadian models/army is more popular (due in no small part to it's fluff importance and the plastic models) than the Mordian ones.

Latro_
06-05-2009, 15:13
hehe you'd think for a regiment so straight down the line and organised there would be no debate over the name of thier planet!

chuck some further stuff into the discussion, didnt the old old IG transfers sheet have a 'Mordia' decal?

Inquisitor S.
06-05-2009, 15:28
That makes sense Inquisitor S - I think that clears the "n" issue up nicely. I think the main area tht may have caused confusion is the whole Cadia/Cadian - as the cadian models/army is more popular (due in no small part to it's fluff importance and the plastic models) than the Mordian ones.

Well, the problem are the exceptions. For that reason I always am in doubt when trying to figure out planet names when reading e.g. Imperial Armour, you simply can't be sure if you only have the regiment name. Plus the problem that sometimes it might just be a spelling error ;)

Bloodknight
06-05-2009, 15:29
Nope, it's Mordian on the decals, with a skull motif in the O. (some of my tanks sport them).

Inquisitor S.
06-05-2009, 15:48
Nope, it's Mordian on the decals, with a skull motif in the O. (some of my tanks sport them).

I don't know about the skull motive but the name Mordian can be seen here:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/wiki/Bild:ImperialGuardTanksTransferSheet2000.jpg

For the older, 2nd Ed sheets I can't vouch, because I don't have the Leman Russ one, but at least the Hellhound sheet (http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/wiki/Bild:ImperialHellhoundTankTransferSheet.jpg) does not have a Mordian option.

Latro_
06-05-2009, 16:01
That settles it then, Mordian it is.

Bloodknight
06-05-2009, 16:06
@Inquisitor S: I will take a look at my bitzbox, I might have one of the pre-2000 sheets left, and if it happens to be that way, I will take a picture. My tanks are pretty old, and I used the predecessor of that sheet.

edit: it's on the old Chimera sheet. I took a few pictures of the sheets that I found that are not cut up. Shame my Griffon sheet is gone. I've also got a few adhesive banners (for example the Praetorian one, or the Ultramarines 3rd company banner that are still on the paper). The guard sheet also exists with red winged skulls.

Latro_
06-05-2009, 17:10
haha showing our age mate, I have like 10 of each of those somewhere minus the rough rider one.