PDA

View Full Version : Valkyries left, right and centre

Barial
05-05-2009, 15:42
Hey all

I was talking with a friend of mine who works in a shop that sells a fair amount of games workshop products.

About last week or less than 2 weeks ago the shop got their hands on a preview copy of the codex and off he went writing up a list.

Anyway as the title says, he has valkyries everywhere!!! For a 2000 point game he has 9 valkyries, 6 AT (not gonna be Vendettas) and 3 AI, lined up along with storm troopers and vets and 2 command squads.
I'm not sure of all the adds he put on them but he might throw in a sentinel squad, or something else in the fray aswell.

He's basically gonna try and outflank and deepstrike the heck out of everyone he's facing with the valkyries, while suppressing/distracting them with the sentinels.

I'm not too sure about some people but I think thatís quite an evil list to be planning, although he wonít have it fully done until december-ish

Whats your opinion on this plan?

Thanatos_elNyx
05-05-2009, 15:44
Good luck fitting them on a standard sized table

Captain Micha
05-05-2009, 15:45
If anything survives his plan he's screwed. There's no where to run and no where to hide for a 7" tall based, bane blade sized (roughly) skimmer.

FunkyRatDemon
05-05-2009, 15:47
In any Tourny that's Army Comp = 0
That's also alot of pts invested
9 is simply to many, 3 squads of 3 is worthless, 3 squads of 2 is more effective, yet even running 2 squads of 2 is likely best pts/efficiency wise

LordofWar1986
05-05-2009, 15:50
9 Valkyries is a bit overkill IMO. Command Squads won't do him much besides give a couple orders a game. He is better off using a Lord Commissar and using the rest of the points for his Sentinels.

Completely outflanking armies, IMO, are not really a viable tactic as people would think. Looks good on paper, but lots of lists are usually tailored to deal out tons of damage at the short/mid ranges. If you do it against an opponent, you might win if he/she does not know the army or does not have the means to deal with it. After that, outflanking will just seem like your sending in units to die.

psyduck86
05-05-2009, 16:02
Not such a good idea, especially with other IG armies. Rerolls on outflank and reserves might screw him. Also, Valkyries are expensive transports.

Barial
05-05-2009, 16:04
Wow those were some fast replies!

9 is simply to many, 3 squads of 3 is worthless, 3 squads of 2 is more effective, yet even running 2 squads of 2 is likely best pts/efficiency wise

ya i agree that 9 is too many, but this is more of a mess about list that a tourny list, he's still chopping and changing bits here nd there

Completely outflanking armies, IMO, are not really a viable tactic as people would think. Looks good on paper, but lots of lists are usually tailored to deal out tons of damage at the short/mid ranges. If you do it against an opponent, you might win if he/she does not know the army or does not have the means to deal with it. After that, outflanking will just seem like your sending in units to die.

Your right bout it not being the best practical idea but this guy doesnt have a deep-strike/outflank phase, we all like to call it his "*poof* Hallo! *nom*" phase
he loves raiding and hit 'n' run tactics after playing Raven Guard and Deamon armies before

Cane
05-05-2009, 16:20
Sounds like a fun list to play and play against although it seems like it'd be difficult to win with.

Valks are still pretty fragile as are the guardsmen they drop off and you're sacrificing a lot of ordnance and models going with this list. Also, they are on large bases with Valks themselves being one of the larger tabletop units around.

electricwolf
05-05-2009, 17:25
Hey all

I was talking with a friend of mine who works in a shop that sells a fair amount of games workshop products.

About last week or less than 2 weeks ago the shop got their hands on a preview copy of the codex and off he went writing up a list.

Anyway as the title says, he has valkyries everywhere!!! For a 2000 point game he has 9 valkyries, 6 AT (not gonna be Vendettas) and 3 AI, lined up along with storm troopers and vets and 2 command squads.
I'm not sure of all the adds he put on them but he might throw in a sentinel squad, or something else in the fray aswell.

He's basically gonna try and outflank and deepstrike the heck out of everyone he's facing with the valkyries, while suppressing/distracting them with the sentinels.

I'm not too sure about some people but I think thatís quite an evil list to be planning, although he wonít have it fully done until december-ish

Whats your opinion on this plan?

this tactic might work except for armies like Tau who just might sit and fire. He could try deep striking behind the Tau firing lines but then half the army will turn around and fire at the deep striking units.

Most armies also have deep striking units which they could use to out flank his sentinels.

the1stpip
05-05-2009, 17:43

How can that be army comp 0?

It is an extremely fluffy army, it has some very obvious flaws, and should be lots of fun to play against (and should look fantastic).

If things go according to plan, I will also be having a new drop troop army.

rev
05-05-2009, 17:46
this kind of talk happened with codex Eldar. It happened with codex orks it happened with codex SM. Its happening now.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll smash it when I play it.

I'll laugh when I see it posted on t'interweb.

rev

SylverClaw
05-05-2009, 18:37
Behold the answer to that army... the 9 Hydra army!

And at only 675 points the rest of the army can still be the serious part.

Honestly... that valk army would look lovely, but who's got the money for 9 valks even at trade prices??? Especially considering it's more or less a one trick pony???

At least my joke army would be slightly useful against most things.

Durath
05-05-2009, 20:35
A pure Valk force sure does look like Edward Thatch, but this book is capable of so much more.

Example - For just 1430 points you can have:
3x (Command Squad 2x Infantry) 3 Valks, 4 Lemans (Battle Cannon w/ H. Bolter sponsons, and Lascannon centermount)

This gives you 75 guardsmen, 3 AV12 Fast Skimmers (which can deploy moving Flat out), 4 AV 14 Russes (which can fire EVERYTHING), and leaves 70 points for upgrades in a 1500 pt. game.

I don't see how any army can deal with that amount of armor and that many individual models (wounds). AND withstand the kind of Firepower this army can produce.

SPYDER68
05-05-2009, 20:38

Honestly... that valk army would look lovely, but who's got the money for 9 valks even at trade prices??? Especially considering it's more or less a one trick pony???

Ill soon have 4x Valks already (2 in painting stage this week) :P then will decide on 2 more if i like them.

Durath
05-05-2009, 20:43
this kind of talk happened with codex Eldar. It happened with codex orks it happened with codex SM. Its happening now.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll smash it when I play it.

I'll laugh when I see it posted on t'interweb.

rev

Contrary to your boastful claims, Mecha Eldar, Nob Biker and Horde Orks, and (to an extent) Salamander Marines are still being complained about by many people across the "interweb", and (if I may add) in the stores.

There might be something to that... I don't think it's just coincidence.

Barial
05-05-2009, 21:11
but who's got the money for 9 valks even at trade prices???

well this is where it comes together, partially.
the shop were doing a deal where if they were prebooked more than a week before the official release the get Ä10 off each kit

The most bought by one rich guy was 6 :eek:

The guy relative to this post has bought 4, i think

finbob
05-05-2009, 21:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx7XNb3Q9Ek

Always wanted to do an all air assault IG list since the Catachan Codex came out. Might be weak or whatever, but would look SO cool!

mughi3
06-05-2009, 08:31
Our local power gamer did a tst run of the 9 vendetta list and found it great at a few jobs and lacking in others. he is planning on trying it with 6, 3 hydras and 3 banewolves to equal out his killing power against troops as well as heavy armor.

Lostanddamned
06-05-2009, 08:40

Uhm if he has 9 Valkyries, where is he going to put the sentinals? The Valks are Fast attack, and 9 of them is 3 squads of 3, the maxiumun allowed.

Sentinals can no longer be attached to Command HQ's so he doesn't have any FoC slots for them.

Logarithm Udgaur
06-05-2009, 08:48
A pure Valk force sure does look like Edward Thatch, but this book is capable of so much more.

Example - For just 1430 points you can have:
3x (Command Squad 2x Infantry) 3 Valks, 4 Lemans (Battle Cannon w/ H. Bolter sponsons, and Lascannon centermount)

This gives you 75 guardsmen, 3 AV12 Fast Skimmers (which can deploy moving Flat out), 4 AV 14 Russes (which can fire EVERYTHING), and leaves 70 points for upgrades in a 1500 pt. game.

I don't see how any army can deal with that amount of armor and that many individual models (wounds). AND withstand the kind of Firepower this army can produce.

That 70 points is going toward an HQ, as the army you posited does not have one.

Lostanddamned
06-05-2009, 08:51
1 lord commisar w/meltabombs.
Done!

undead
06-05-2009, 08:53
Well me being the crazy guy I am bought myself 7 Valkyrie's (flgs had 20% off pre-orders so I couldn't resist!)

I have played a couple of low point test games with the 4 I have finished and have found it ends up being a fun army to play and both my opponents enjoyed the games. Now I know this isn't the 9 Valkyrie madness but one list I worked out for 1500points had all 7 of my Valkyrie's in it.

Overall they die quickly, are huge and look cool. Any army that looks cool has my vote, winnable or not

mr.kislev
06-05-2009, 08:53
correction left right and up.

i would love to hove that much money.

freddieyu
06-05-2009, 09:13

Thanks for the math! It puts everything in a new light, especially since here we play 2000 pt lists!

Latro_
06-05-2009, 09:35
haha i'd have a job carting 2 valks over any distance, never mind 9.

Also have ye seen the size of those bad boys? Good luck having 9 of them on the table in squadron formation and not being within 1" of the enemy.

Perhaps 40k has developed to the point where we need Caddies like in golf :), i guess some very lucky WS folk call them 'the wife' ;)