PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Imperial Guard versus Imperial Guard?

Cool_Mint
05-05-2009, 20:15
I remember back in the early 90's (when the Epic/Titan games came out) you could field loyalist Guards versus rebel Guards and the same for Space Marines..
I haven't read much in the way of rules since then.

It must have made for a much more equally balanced game so why don't we see it anymore? Was there some kind of rule introduced that disallowed it?

Bookwrak
05-05-2009, 20:22
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. Marine vs Marine and IG vs IG fights happen all the time.

totgeboren
05-05-2009, 20:23
I see SM vs SM battles all the time. IG vs IG is a bit more uncommon, mainly because everyone plays SM.

Though, now with the new codex im sure we will see many more IG vs IG battles.

They are great fun too, since they are so balanced. :D

They use the standard rules. Do you feel they should use some other rules? :O

Inquisitor_Tolheim
05-05-2009, 20:24
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. Marine vs Marine and IG vs IG fights happen all the time.

Any army can fight any army, for any justification. Of all the match ups available, Guard vs. Guard is one of the Easiest to justify!

The majoriyt of the first book of the Siege of Vraks forgeworld series is guard vs guard. Then it's traitor guard+demons vs guard+inquisition.

Cool_Mint
05-05-2009, 20:31
Oh well, that settles that. :p

MrMojoZ
05-05-2009, 20:55
I'm still wondering what you were talking about. :D

Cool_Mint
05-05-2009, 21:01
I'm still wondering what you were talking about. :D

I haven't painted miniatures since about 1993 but I got back into it last year. I've never been a gamer but I read a few of the threads and they are always about different opposing armies. I have never read a topic or seen a single photo of a Horus/Renegade themed Guard or "normal" Space Marines army so I assumed they just didn't exist anymore.

Bloodknight
05-05-2009, 22:57
Take a look at Forgeworld's range of Renegade Militia, that's as Chaos IG as you can get :)

Gen.Steiner
05-05-2009, 23:06
:angel: I've got over 4,000 points of traitor Guard... does that count?

sigur
05-05-2009, 23:09
:angel: I've got over 4,000 points of traitor Guard... does that count?

As an army he has seen? No, obviously.

Simon23
05-05-2009, 23:15
I can tell you from experience, guard Vs guard is very bloody and very messy. It usually comes down to who has the most ordnance templates!

Cool_Mint
06-05-2009, 02:34
Take a look at Forgeworld's range of Renegade Militia, that's as Chaos IG as you can get :)

ForgeWorld... I swear that website is so badly designed you could display a 1/1 scale Space Marine in there and no one would ever know.

Still, those Militia do look very good.

Monospot
06-05-2009, 03:26
There are so many reasons to play IG v IG....local heresy, normal interplanetary warfare over mineral rights/whose statue of the Emperor is better/soccer match, loyal vs Chaos tainted, planet behind on its tithes, etc.

unclejimbo827
06-05-2009, 03:34
it's just as well, guard on guard is boring - in my experience, whoever goes first wins.

tuebor
06-05-2009, 04:06
it's just as well, guard on guard is boring - in my experience, whoever goes first wins.

You should try Guard on Guard using Cityfight. Tons of fun.

BuFFo
06-05-2009, 05:32
IG v IG is fun.

Marines v Marines is where the ZZZZZZs are at.

Gen.Steiner
06-05-2009, 06:15
I totally agree - Guard on Guard are usually the most hard-fought battles, in my experience.

zoggin-eck
06-05-2009, 09:13
I think what you're confused about is the fact that the original editions of epic were set 10,000 years earlier, during the heresy, so of course featured loyal guard/marines versus traitor guard/marines.

The current editions are of course Warhammer *40,000* so you get everything.

As said, there certainly isn't anything stopping the same armies fighting, or for people to make some traitor, rebel or chaos guardsmen.

Any photos you see of heresy era marines and guardsmen are by fans, not really based on any special rules currently by Games Workshop

pookie
06-05-2009, 12:31
i find girl on girl much more fun :evilgrin:

d0dgeuk
06-05-2009, 13:00
So that would be SoB v SoB then surely :)

RichBlake
06-05-2009, 14:17
I totally agree - Guard on Guard are usually the most hard-fought battles, in my experience.

They are always boring if they are the same style lists.

If you have mech guard vs mech guard it's boring. Gunline vs Gunline is boring.

It's OK if it's mech vs gunline, it's the clash between me and my friend that happens fairly often.

Have to say I always groan whenever I see my opponent is Guard, proper traitor guard makes it a bit better however.

DarkMatter2
06-05-2009, 14:25
Guard vs. Guard does not sound fun at all to me.

Though I agree with Rich Blake that a well presented traitor guard army would make it, at least visually, a lot more enjoyable.

Switch_uk
06-05-2009, 14:31
I would have to say that an experienced Guard player vs an experienced Guard player would be a good battle to see.

Helicon_One
06-05-2009, 14:40
I haven't painted miniatures since about 1993 but I got back into it last year. I've never been a gamer but I read a few of the threads and they are always about different opposing armies. I have never read a topic or seen a single photo of a Horus/Renegade themed Guard or "normal" Space Marines army so I assumed they just didn't exist anymore.

Ah, I see what's happened here.

Back in the old days in the early 90's there were relatively few races out there (it was pretty much Guard, Marines, Eldar, Orks, Squats, there were other races around but they weren't fully developed as armies), and so because you were much more likely to see Army X vs Army X fights there was more emphasis on talking about that sort of 'civil war'.

Now that we have more fully available races and there are more factions within the races available as seperate army lists, so the background has shifted more towards talking about fights between different races and factions rather than internal struggles.

Awilla the Hun
06-05-2009, 14:58
I only did an Imperial Guard vs Imperial Guard match once (although I often face Inquisitorial Stormtroopers.)

I got hammered by Grenadiers, but it was pretty hard fought. Close ranged, well coordinated firepower won out against my frantic long ranged fire (much of it neutralised in turn one) and counter attacks with the fixed bayonet.

laudarkul
06-05-2009, 15:29
In my area a boy got jis IG from dust with the new codex release and a good player of Fantasy also choose IG for 40K. So it seems that I'll finally going to give my IG army an enemy with the same stats :)...

borithan
06-05-2009, 16:31
Imperial Guard vs other normal human forces (not necessarily Guard... more like PDF and similar forces) are still meant to be the most common form of battle in the Imperium. Most fighting is meant to be the Imperium putting down internal rebellion (and probably mostly non-chaos forces). Second to that comes fighting Orks. Its just that Guard vs similar forces fights are not covered as often. The main focus of the game is the Imperium vs outsiders, just because they think it is more interesting to sell, and is the point of the "story" of 40.