PDA

View Full Version : Strange House Rules

Nicha11
06-05-2009, 08:37
What are some of the strange house rules that you have come across?

Condottiere
06-05-2009, 09:40
House rule number one: refuse to credit anything I say that I pick up from internet warhammer forums regarding rules interpretation.

Alathir
06-05-2009, 09:49
A trebuchet which misfires and throws a crewman soaring into the air inflicts a single strength 3 hit with no armour save allowed whereever it lands.

...this means my Bretonnian Trebuchets might actually cause some damage!

Solar_Eclipse
06-05-2009, 10:58
House rule number one: refuse to credit anything I say that I pick up from internet warhammer forums regarding rules interpretation.

I get the "There is no vaguery in the rules whatsoever, mention them and prepare for scorn" in some places.

I dont get it, i really dont.

I meantion "some people may consider Hot Shot Lasguns to be Lasguns for Front rank fire, otherwise the name change was for nothing" i dont agree with it, but i make the point.

So i get S&&tfor it.

Gah

theunwantedbeing
06-05-2009, 11:06
You can march through difficult terrain.

Lets not bother with terrain huh?

Altering the turn manover to simply be a turning the entire unit.
Stuff becomes rediculously manoverable as a result.

Another house rule that amuses me is that you are not allowed to place the tape measure on the board to measure, nor are you allowed to leave it in place to help you see how far you are allowed to have moved. You have to hover the tape measure several inches in the air over the unit, make a mental note of where the max movement is and then and only once you have put the tape measure to one side are you allowed to move the unit.

Ironstone Doomhammer
06-05-2009, 11:51
Another house rule that amuses me is that you are not allowed to place the tape measure on the board to measure, nor are you allowed to leave it in place to help you see how far you are allowed to have moved. You have to hover the tape measure several inches in the air over the unit, make a mental note of where the max movement is and then and only once you have put the tape measure to one side are you allowed to move the unit.

What if your marching 8, make a mental error and move 10?

My friend plays goblins and I play dwarfs and we've both come up with some alterations to our army wide rules for "Resolute" and "Animosity".

Since "Resolute" is pretty much a penalty for picking Dwarfs (which should be called 'Short Legged' instead), I added in that All Dwarfs get a +1 to SCR for the first round of combat.

I've only played against Orcs and Goblins a few times so I might whiff this table, any Orcs and Goblin players have the right to smack me a gud' un' if I get it wrong.

His Animosity Table is thus:

1- Fail animosity / bicker / whatever else it's called
2- Good
3- Good
4- Good
5- Good
6- Free movement

Now the house rule is that if he rolls a 1, he rolls again and on a 6 he may choose to either get a free move, or pump up ONE stat on a unit by 1; doesn't affect characters. The stats it is restricted to is, BS;WS;S;T;I;Ld.

That's all we've done so far.

Avian
06-05-2009, 14:25

Eh? We've used that one for years. Makes getting into terrain slightly less idiotic for non-skirmishing units since they might actually get somewhere when they are moving at half rate rather than quarter rate. Sadly it still isn't enough to make terrain anything other than quagmires for infantry.

With the current rules a unit of 25 Empire Swordsmen (Movement 4) in a 5 x 5 formation will need a ridiculously high 5(!) turns to move from one side of a 6" deep wood to the other. With the ability to march that can be halved if there are no enemies nearby.

W0lf
06-05-2009, 15:15
I too was suprised at that comment.

As the rules stand most terrain might aswell be impassable for infantry in 6 turns.

theunwantedbeing
06-05-2009, 15:28
25 men, the unit is 4" deep, the wood is 4" deep, do they:

A). March around the wood at a rate of 8" a turn?
-this will mean they have gone around the wood in a turn.
B). Go through the wood at a rate of 2" a turn?
-this will mean they are stuck going through the wood for the next 4 turns

And people choose B) ?????
Hence its a strange house rule as it doesnt make any sense.

Skirmishers are fine going through terrain, unsurprisingly.
Knights and such go at 1/4 march rate, but this is still 3-4" a turn.
Ogres and such, 3" a turn, but due to 40mm deep bases its not an issue.
Chariots...they dont want to go in terrain.
Fliers....they dont want to go in terrain.
War machines....they rarely move in terrain, they skirmish anyway.
So one type of unit that is bothered by difficult terrain, and people want to get rid of that????
Im sure somebody somewhere at least half understands my point of view.

Keller
06-05-2009, 15:35

Eh? We've used that one for years. Makes getting into terrain slightly less idiotic for non-skirmishing units since they might actually get somewhere when they are moving at half rate rather than quarter rate. Sadly it still isn't enough to make terrain anything other than quagmires for infantry.

With the current rules a unit of 25 Empire Swordsmen (Movement 4) in a 5 x 5 formation will need a ridiculously high 5(!) turns to move from one side of a 6" deep wood to the other. With the ability to march that can be halved if there are no enemies nearby.

We've always played you can march through terrain, at reduced movement, of course. Otherwise all terrain becomes impassible to all but skirmishers. We do play with lots of terrain though. And of course, you can be march blocked as normal, reducing you to the BRB-terrain speeds.

Souppilgrim
06-05-2009, 16:09

The point is that the only REAL option is A). It would be cool if there were more options, and it was a little more realistic. Walking through the woods is not the same as walking in quicksand on a high gravity planet after you got released from the hospital for back surgery.

Braad
06-05-2009, 16:11

Pff... 'choice' can be a big word.
I once had Azhag on his wyvern wander stupidly into a forest (it was 3 turns of stupid wandering, so it didn't have much to do with bad positioning) and he never came out of it with only 2 inch movement...

Also, a friend of mine made a very cool board with a river accross the middle, not really thinking about the impact.
With my orcs only able to move 2" a turn, the average size of my blocks, and the width of the river, this would result in:
a- no single infantry unit would ever get accross.
b- every unit has to cross either 1 of two bridges, which would result in a huge middle-age traffic jam, taking my horde army into consideration.
So sometimes, houserules can be an interesting option.

@ Alathir
I actually written some houserules on a model which included a rock lobber, and had that one in the misfire chart :)

Malorian
06-05-2009, 16:19
My friend plays goblins and I play dwarfs and we've both come up with some alterations to our army wide rules for "Resolute" and "Animosity".

Since "Resolute" is pretty much a penalty for picking Dwarfs (which should be called 'Short Legged' instead), I added in that All Dwarfs get a +1 to SCR for the first round of combat.

I've only played against Orcs and Goblins a few times so I might whiff this table, any Orcs and Goblin players have the right to smack me a gud' un' if I get it wrong.

His Animosity Table is thus:

1- Fail animosity / bicker / whatever else it's called
2- Good
3- Good
4- Good
5- Good
6- Free movement

Now the house rule is that if he rolls a 1, he rolls again and on a 6 he may choose to either get a free move, or pump up ONE stat on a unit by 1; doesn't affect characters. The stats it is restricted to is, BS;WS;S;T;I;Ld.

That's all we've done so far.

Those are horrible...

First of all you go and turn one of the characteristic dwarf disadvantages into an advantage, and then you make that silly orc one where he could even gain stats!!! (T10 orcs FTW!!!)

It's house rules like this that give 'house rules' the negative sterotype, compared to ones like being able to march through a river to open up the game.

sholcomb
06-05-2009, 16:52
We had a rule where a unit could charge an enemy if the enemy was within half of the unit's initiative in inches, and could even reform to do so. ie. a unit of Empire swordsmen could charge an enemy within 1.5" regardless of line of sight or if the enemy was behind him.

This was because he thought Warhammer tunnel vision was a little strange, and thought that a unit would charge an enemy right next to them, regardless of whether they were directly to the front.

selone
06-05-2009, 16:58
Those are horrible...

First of all you go and turn one of the characteristic dwarf disadvantages into an advantage, and then you make that silly orc one where he could even gain stats!!! (T10 orcs FTW!!!)

It's house rules like this that give 'house rules' the negative sterotype, compared to ones like being able to march through a river to open up the game.

But isn't the topic strange house rules, not house rules you guys have developed and think are cool.

Storak
06-05-2009, 17:02

Skirmishers are fine going through terrain, unsurprisingly.
Knights and such go at 1/4 march rate, but this is still 3-4" a turn.
Ogres and such, 3" a turn, but due to 40mm deep bases its not an issue.
Chariots...they dont want to go in terrain.
Fliers....they dont want to go in terrain.
War machines....they rarely move in terrain, they skirmish anyway.
So one type of unit that is bothered by difficult terrain, and people want to get rid of that????
Im sure somebody somewhere at least half understands my point of view.

the terrain rules of the game are horrible, so marching in difficult terrain is an extremely sensible houserule.

who ever came up with the idea, that a ranked infantry unit shouldn t be able to cross a wood (or even worse, a fence) during the course of a game was an idiot. (and that it survived multiple editions is a pretty bad thing for GW game design..)

slingersam
06-05-2009, 17:14
We had a rule where a unit could charge an enemy if the enemy was within half of the unit's initiative in inches, and could even reform to do so. ie. a unit of Empire swordsmen could charge an enemy within 1.5" regardless of line of sight or if the enemy was behind him.

This was because he thought Warhammer tunnel vision was a little strange, and thought that a unit would charge an enemy right next to them, regardless of whether they were directly to the front.

I like this rule. I remember a friend of mine had a unit of pheonix Gaurds + 10 Spearmen I think?. Anyway he was vs this skaven player with only 1 skirmishing assasin character. The Rat kept on jumping in between the units, the high elf player almost quit. This rule would have been nice.

Cherrystone
06-05-2009, 17:29
Marching through terrain is perfectly normal houserule, been playing it that way for over a decade.
In the last few years we have added that if a unit gets charged in a turn after they have marched through terrain then they receive no rank bonus in the following combat phase. This represents the disorganised mess a ranked formation might find themselves in after moving quickly through terrain.

DarkTerror
06-05-2009, 17:57
Using an additional 1" of movement to go up the lip of the hill (1" tall hills). It became very annoying when your unit only goes halfway up the hill on one flank...

Talonz
06-05-2009, 18:40
Marching through terrain is perfectly normal houserule, been playing it that way for over a decade.

That's an interesting use of the word 'normal'.

Cats Laughing
06-05-2009, 20:15
the terrain rules of the game are horrible, so marching in difficult terrain is an extremely sensible houserule.

who ever came up with the idea, that a ranked infantry unit shouldn t be able to cross a wood (or even worse, a fence) during the course of a game was an idiot. (and that it survived multiple editions is a pretty bad thing for GW game design..)

Quite honestly, I think GW actually uses the 'march thru terrain' houserule that many of us say we use, in their "play testing" and that's why the terrain rules have survived unchanged to this day...

I wouldn't be surprised if we go back through old battle reports to see units moving through forests in less game time (# of turns) than they should if following the actual rules as written.

Bretonnian Lord
06-05-2009, 20:26
Archers can fire in two ranks, even when not on a hill.

That's about the only deviation my friends and I play from the rules.

Cherrystone
06-05-2009, 23:03
That's an interesting use of the word 'normal'.

Sorry, I was using it as to be the opposite of strange. :p

Gork or Possibly Mork
07-05-2009, 01:30
Only house rule we do is.

1. Sometimes don't play gaining VP's for table quarters.
2. Sometimes go an extra turn on a D6 roll of 4+.

Ironstone Doomhammer
07-05-2009, 05:12
Those are horrible...

We both just threw out some rules that we thought were fun, obviously the characteristic thing is only useable once, we wouldn't let a unit have T10 or S10, that's just silly.

The Resolute thing is just kind of like a balance, maybe a bad one but at least the advantage isn't a huge one.

badgeraddict
07-05-2009, 10:18
My previous gaming club's house rules were:

1. No special characters.
2. No banana shot with bolt thowers.
3. No excessive flatulance.

Condottiere
07-05-2009, 10:24

3. No excessive flatulance.Flatulance - defining excessive must be hilarious; it can range from climate change to limburger.

Nicha11
07-05-2009, 10:26

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a banana shot?

badgeraddict
07-05-2009, 10:27
Flatulance - defining excessive must be hilarious; it can range from climate change to limburger.

We did have an member once upon a time that was infamous for his nuclear flatulance. The club organiser (Derv on Warseer) swore blind that is was causing the wall paint to crack! :eek:

badgeraddict
07-05-2009, 10:28
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a banana shot?

BRB page 91 Diagram 91.4. Thats the banana shot. :wtf:

sirbone
07-05-2009, 10:31
Banana shot is the rather bizarre action described as "a well aimed shot" in the BRB wherein you can shoot around (at a strange banana-like angle) one unit in LOS which is partially blocking another, your intended target.

Condottiere
07-05-2009, 12:00
Technically, it's within LOS and you can only shoot the visible part.

WarlockOMork
07-05-2009, 15:19
the only two house rules we got is,

if a dice rolls of the table, you gotta re-roll that dice.

if a dice ceases to exist, it always fails.

lemme explain that last one.
we've had dice gone missing a few times, after rolling off the table :p

Cats Laughing
07-05-2009, 22:15

3. No excessive flatulance.

I wonder how you enforce #3, given that usually it's the victim(s) and not the "poison wind globadier/plague censer bearer" who is/are chased from the room?

snurl
08-05-2009, 07:33
When excessive flatulence occurs during one of our games, a regiment of Flagellants appears at the center of the table and attacks the closest unit from the offender's army. This has cleared up the problem. (as well as the air)

Also, no beer on the table.

Condottiere
08-05-2009, 07:52
That's not strange - alcohol and painted models don't really mix. At least, not well.

snurl
08-05-2009, 08:12
Its the flocked battlemat and hills I'm worried about.
Most of our games are a 3 drink minimum. We have fun.

Cats Laughing
08-05-2009, 09:23
Actually the local gaming night has a similar rule. Drinks are allowed on the table (our tables are a bit larger than 4'x8') but not allowed on the gaming mats.

The gaming night warboss has an old gaming mat with spill to show newbies why...