PDA

View Full Version : Horus Heresy movie?

XenosVanquisher
06-05-2009, 14:50
When I look at just how much of a Sci-Fi masterpiece Horus Heresy has truly turned out to be, I often ask myself the question - why hasn't anyone saw the value of this and attempted to buy the movie rights and make a production?

My only true worry is: Should a 40k movie ever be made, I somehow doubt it would be done stylishly like HH would require. Instead I predict we will see a Resident Evil style movie transition which focuses on ridiculous action segments and a shallow, dull and nonsense story. Such a production would probably only attract a massive new 'fanboy' following to 40k - and a x10 influx in the amount of half built unpainted armies fielded at local stores.

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions?

W0lf
06-05-2009, 14:56
It would cost a ridiculous amount to make and the demmand wouldnt be sufficient. Plus they would never do it justice.

Pinball wizard!
06-05-2009, 14:58
i don't think it will would do well in the box office and theres no way you could please every single fan, people would find holes in it, just like every single codex released in the last 3 years and complain. Also i think your right about the fanboys.

Switch_uk
06-05-2009, 14:59
I would like to see a 40k movie but i think it would be better if its done on imperial guard as i dont think the avarage person would get space marines.

me personaly i would like to see gaunts ghosts done in movie form as that would rock.

W0lf
06-05-2009, 15:01
A guard film is far more likely.

Although the sad truth is a similar film that dosnt have the GW name attached to it or having paid for the license would do better.

Lots of people would instantly be turnt of by the Games Workshop tag. Storm troopers was pretty much Guard vs Nids in everyway though.

Dr. Hellbeast
06-05-2009, 15:01
I agree. It would make an epic series of movies that I'm sure would pull in a far wider audience than just the GW faithful.

Unfortunately, I feel it would never get the treatment it deserves. The gothic imagery and universal tragedy of the tale would need to be painstakingly handled by the right director. Del Toro or Peter Jackson could have a fair crack at it. I would personally like to see a director like Terrence Malick given a project like this. Anyone who's seen The Thin Red Line will vouch for his quality.

But you know full well it would be given to some dynamite-happy mook like Michael Bay to **** up, so it's best left untouched. :)

Griffin
06-05-2009, 15:02
I don't think they could do it justice - Although someone like Peter Jackson could possibly capture some of the epicness. The other problem is it's rather nich, so unlikely to make much money as people won't be familiar with the source material. OH - and genocide is BAD kids, even if the imperium sanctions child soldiers..

SylverClaw
06-05-2009, 15:05
When I look at just how much of a Sci-Fi masterpiece Horus Heresy has truly turned out to be,

Are you reading a different HH series than I am???

In all seriousness, I thought that about the first three books. They'd be terrible films (terrible) but great adult-anime films or as a series. You could really do the books justice in animation without it costing the earth.

But some of the books just wouldn's translate without a major rewrite. The dark angels one, for example, would be so disjointed you'd think you started watching a different series half way through.

Another problem is the lack of characters crossing over. Even The Wire sometimes reuses characters... not that you'd remember, because you are trying to keep track of the 653 million other characters in the series as well.

Switch_uk
06-05-2009, 15:09
i agree peter jackson would do it proud but you got to remember imperial guard are pritty much troopers you see in real life so i think most people would see it as a war film with a different story line

Col. Dash
06-05-2009, 15:10
Hmm it would be cool. The best people for the job I can think of would be the crew behind The Chronicles of Riddick. The visuals in that movie were astounding the whole way through even if the movie wasnt the greatest. The current "pro"- wrestling crop would make good blocky marines, just would have to give them acting classes, alot of acting classes. I dont think you could use normal actors for the marines for scale reasons unless you used trick photgraphy like they did int LOTRs. Who would Sean Connery play?

Dr. Hellbeast
06-05-2009, 15:14
Who would Sean Connery play?

Dunno. Any of the characters in the Heresy books speak with a strong Scottish accent?

"Yesh, my name ish Ramiresh, young highlander."

"Red October, shtanding by."

Ridiculous.

SimonL
06-05-2009, 15:17
The answer, obviously, is Marneus Calgar. :D

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
06-05-2009, 15:19
A Horus Heresy movie MUST be directed by Ridley Scott. Or, failing him, James Cameron or David Twohy.

Dr. Hellbeast
06-05-2009, 15:20
A Horus Heresy movie MUST be directed by Ridley Scott. Or, failing him, James Cameron or David Twohy.

All spent forces, in my opinion.

Fixer
06-05-2009, 15:23
The answer, obviously, is Marneus Calgar. :D

Oh dear. I just had a terrible thought.

Saturday morning cartoon.

Marneus Calgar and the Ultramarines!
THEME TUNE.

XenosVanquisher
06-05-2009, 15:24
Dunno. Any of the characters in the Heresy books speak with a strong Scottish accent?

"Yesh, my name ish Ramiresh, young highlander."

"Red October, shtanding by."

Ridiculous.

Hes possibly the only Scottish person in the world who speaks like that...

Many of you are saying that it would be too hard to follow with characters etc and that people wouldn't understand the source material. Isn't that exactly what they said about making The Lord of the Rings into a movie?

Slipknotman21
06-05-2009, 15:28
I just got an image of tropic thunder.

NightrawenII
06-05-2009, 15:30
Imperial Guard film is more likely. Marines are very boring characters in the first place, ie. no inside fight, no doubts, no emotions etc. etc.

The main problem of this movie is create it either *user-friendly* for the ignorant masses and for 40k fans.

Edit: Many of you are saying that it would be too hard to follow with characters etc and that people wouldn't understand the source material. Isn't that exactly what they said about making The Lord of the Rings into a movie?

Hm, but normal:) people have some awareness about dwarfs or elfs. And also first film have the explanation for the whole serie. So for 40k you need something similar. If we talking about Horus Heresy film, this can be very simple, but with 40k?? Emperor, Imaterium, Horus Heresy, Adeptus Mechanicus, eldar(:wtf: What doing a ELF in Space opera?!?!) etc.

Frontier
06-05-2009, 15:33
The outcry of "OMG WTF! SPACE MARINES ARE OVERPOWERED!!!!" would be heard up and down every single forum in existence. Frankly, there is no way GW would make the flick without the marines as the main protagonists.

Secondly, the market just isn't there, unless GW spent a ton of cash advertising the heckout of this thing...and that means more costs to you, folks. You want to complain about a price increase in June?

just you wait.

Col. Tartleton
06-05-2009, 15:42
I think they'd have to do it justice or it would fall apart on them.

It would have to be a CGI movie. There's no way on earth that could be shot using tradition methods. The entire thing would be like a huge cinematic or it simply couldn't be done well.

You're talking about scenes of 3 dimensional warfare by thousands of eight foot tall ornately armored super soldiers with sky scraper sized support units. The siege on Terra if presented would amount to a war over a man made continent with hosts of bright colored super soldiers being led on one side by (mind you CGI even if I assign actors for faces) A Full Metal Jesus (The Emperor), the Angel Michael(Sanguinius), Genghis Khan (Jenghati Khan), and someone who looks like Daniel Craig (Dorn.) On the other side of the table you have A Ben Affleck, because we have to hate/love him (Horus), Paul Bettany (Lorgar), Any given Swede (Fulgrim), Chuck Liddel(Angron), Larry Thomas [soup nazi](Perturabo), Wes Studi (Magnus), a grimed out Christian Bale(Konrad Curze), Johny Depp [He just looks cunning](Alpharius)

Not to mention being forced to flesh out all of the major lieutenants of each, Magnus had Ahriman; Horus his Mournival; Fulgrim had Eidolon, Lucius, Tarvitz, and Bile; Angron brought Kharn; the Emperor had Valdor; Dorn Sigismund; the list goes on.

These would all have to be portrayed well if not according to cannon which means the script would be gut busting to write. Not to mention it would be a challenge to find enough solid voice actors and the probably dozens or hundreds of animators to make it work. Summed up HOLY S*** IT WOULD BE AWESOME...

Gaunts Ghosts would be better though, just not as epic. It would be raw and edgy instead. I mean literally every character murders another character or rapes them.

Da Black Gobbo
06-05-2009, 15:52
I think it should be more a Tv show with seasons and the like than a film a film will ignore lots of things because the story is frikin' huge, or you have to reduce it in a trilogy 1--Horus is so awesome but in the end of the film he sees the visons that will bring him to betray the emperor.
2--Horus reveals him self as a traidor, Battle of Istvaan, eisenstein scape, heroic/tragic stuff.
3--Siege of Terra death and destruction yadda yadda blah blah emotive and sad final with an off voice of a guy explaining what is to come.

THE END.

Dakkagor
06-05-2009, 15:58
A 26+ anime series would be the only feasible way of doing it. Lets hope 40k gets big in japan and GW sells the license (and sends someone to SIT on the writers so they don't make it lousy with stuff that shouldn't be in there.) Anime can be awesome (GITS:SAC) or Sucky (too much to mention). . .

Col. Tartleton
06-05-2009, 16:44
Anime? You mean burn at the stake for lecherous sodomy and assorted acts of blasphemous heresy deemed highly illegal by even liberal lawmakers?

Why can't we just have a western cartoon for once. Heck let Warner Bros do it. It'll be Duck Dogers in the Grim Darkness of the 31st millenium... it will stay closer to the story that way then if it was turned asian then turned back to british.

NightrawenII
06-05-2009, 16:48
Anime? You mean burn at the stake for lecherous sodomy and assorted acts of blasphemous heresy deemed highly illegal by even liberal lawmakers?

Why can't we just have a western cartoon for once. Heck let Warner Bros do it. It'll be Duck Dogers in the Grim Darkness of the 31st millenium... it will stay closer to the story that way then if it was turned asian then turned back to british.

This is Hentai man, he mean a Manga.;)

Col. Tartleton
06-05-2009, 16:53
No I meant what I said. Its all visually Hentai. Its all very perverted to me.

If a Japanese person wrote it, illustrated it, or consulted someone who did so, its going to be slightly perverted at best. Not that I don't respect that, I just don't think its going to be a good idea to have anyone besides Fulgrim to be portrayed in traditional Anime styling. I mean if Magnus is at all attractive in a not rugged as heck Native American scout/Pharaoh way then we have a problem.

shelbyw26
06-05-2009, 17:08
Why couldn't they just do it in CGI? After what I've seen with the dawn of war trailers that seems pretty feasible to me.

Col. Dash
06-05-2009, 17:23
Not only will it be highly perverted butif its Japanimation there will have to be some high pitched annoying female sidekick who contributes nothing but screaming at even higher pitched vocals the entire movie/episode.

Corrode
06-05-2009, 17:25
No I meant what I said. Its all visually Hentai. Its all very perverted to me.

If a Japanese person wrote it, illustrated it, or consulted someone who did so, its going to be slightly perverted at best. Not that I don't respect that, I just don't think its going to be a good idea to have anyone besides Fulgrim to be portrayed in traditional Anime styling. I mean if Magnus is at all attractive in a not rugged as heck Native American scout/Pharaoh way then we have a problem.

And people say Americans are all ignorant latent racists who know nothing of cultures outside of their own. They clearly have never met you, sir, with your deep understanding of art forms not native to your country. Your insight and perception staggers me.

Col. Tartleton
06-05-2009, 17:30
Col. Tartleton: A True American...

I'm kidding, but honestly 90% of Anime totally distorts characters into silly humanoid objects that move around and freak out over nothing. Its not that the Japanese (and those who mimic there style) can't tell a story (or can they?) but they tend to butcher anything of value due to the cultural differences and the lost in translation effect.

These two things would totally kill a warhammer 40k story arc.

Now I respect the Artform, and I watch some Anime, but that's how I feel about it in general. Japanese people are stereotypically perverts, don't rebuke me, I've seen the internet.

Corrode
06-05-2009, 17:33
Now I respect the Artform, and I watch some Anime, but that's how I feel about it in general. Japanese people are stereotypically perverts, don't rebuke me, I've seen the internet.

I think you've just told us far more about what you do on your 'personal time' than anyone ever wanted to know.

Col. Tartleton
06-05-2009, 17:36
Nice I'm gonna sig that.

No I'm being very tongue in cheek about all of this. Playing to stereotypes is fun. We both did it.

Corrode
06-05-2009, 17:36
Nice I'm gonna sig that.

No I'm being very tongue in cheek about all of this. Playing to stereotypes is fun. We both did it.

I know. Enjoy the sig :D

Helicon_One
06-05-2009, 17:42
Every attempt at bringing 40K to the film/tv screen so far has ended in a gigantic trainwreck of dramabombs and failure.

For their own sanity its probably better that people stop trying.

XenosVanquisher
06-05-2009, 17:44
For a ref. on what popular culture tends to do to our beloved 40k - check out the demo for the upcoming Space Marines game coming out for consoles on Youtube.

From what they show, and what they promise - the game has about as much depth as a shallow puddle.

'You're a lone Space Marine, you're going to move to this point (A) to this point (B) using a chain of recycled moves and fighting groups of the same character models over and over. Once finished, you will do so again. Expect plenty of obvious scripted events and bad dialogue whilst me money spin your beloved franchise.'

I simply can't contain the excitement.

wilycoyote
06-05-2009, 17:45
If one thing is an absolute certainty you are never going to see a live action version. CGI is a possibilty, but still costly and unlikely to reecoup its outlay. Face it, 40k would not that popular afranchise to rely only on its on fanbase and casual moviegoers want something more than stylised gothic superwarriors.

Same goes for a television series who are you going to target? No mainstream company will pick it up for adults. As for the kiddies, its too extreme for Nickelodeon, so who is left.....SciFi? Minimum budget, second rate cgi and a cast of stellar nobodies....doesn't sound so good?

Hang on if Hasbro take us over, we will get the series (the lunchbox, the teeshirt, the drinking cup....). Sterilised and cleaned up, noone can be hurt on screen and each episode ends with a moral..hang on its been done before, lets do it again "He-Man and the Masters of the 40k universe".

O&G'sRule
06-05-2009, 18:27
Well they said last year that there was an animated movie in production, didn't say what it was about though

Awilla the Hun
06-05-2009, 18:33
Ciaphas Cain movie, anyone?

I mean, he has at least two dimensions, which is more than everyone in Gaunt's Ghosts put together.

Laser guided fanatic
06-05-2009, 19:04
Here's the cast list:

Sean Connery: Vindicare Assasin or Lord of Pleasure
Samuel L. Jackson: Guard Captain
Brian Blessed: Raving Chaplin
Arnie: Straken
Clint Eastwood: Rogue Trader
Mel Gibson: Inquisitor
Javier Bardem: Chosen
Pierce Brosnan: Culexus Assasin
Eddie Murphy: Space Marine
Stephen Fry: Guard Commander
Tommy Lee Jones: Arbite
Harrison Ford: Eldar Corsair

Razarael
06-05-2009, 19:20
[B][SIZE="3"]Now I respect the Artform, and I watch some Anime, but that's how I feel about it in general. Japanese people are stereotypically perverts, don't rebuke me, I've seen the internet.

Rebuke.

Having lived in Japan now for a year, I have a question-

Do you want to take a guess at how many tentacles I see when I watch TV?
Any guess over zero would be wrong. Perversion and hentai are by no means mainstream over here, and it isn't fact just because that's all the 'culture' that your own ignorance has allowed you to see. You said it your self, it's a stereotype. If you know what a stereotype is, you should realize that you can't make accurate judgments about them. Sorry, racism just really unsettles me, and I see it more often than I should on Warseer, often directed towards my home.

A Horus Heresy anime could be done fantastically with the right animation studio. Japanese artists are amazing, and their work with adding in CGI into cartoons is far better than it is done in other countries. Given the necessity for CG in a 40k film, I wholly believe that if it is going to be done, it should be done here. Japanese voice acting in animation is a far cry better than it is in the United States (where I'm from). The Japanese language is actually a really boring language. Spoken naturally, it is monotone and unexpressive, but I dare anyone to try watching most anime and thinking that.

Plot wise, not everything should be added in. Side stories and minor characters should only be given a limited amount of stage time if it is going to work. The story would have to focus on the main conflict and how it plays out rather than all the little things. No, not everyone is going to be happy, but if it were to happen, at least it would be something, and why gripe over that? Something is better than nothing, ne?

Anyhow, an a final note... The only one to play the Emperor and do Him justice would be Vin Diesel.

Col. Tartleton
06-05-2009, 19:25
Woooo! Caiaphas Cain! Woooo!

We need Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as Hero of the Imperium Commissar Caiaphas Cain and Gunner Ferik Jurgen respectively. It could be done medium budget blockbuster, with some good casting the leads would grab an audience with proper advertising, and because it could be done with just people and CGI in the Tau and Nids.

I think the east meets west WWII-Vietnam culture clash of the Imperium and the Tau would reflect well in a movie (its still an ironic comedy.) The Imperium being portrayed as a bunch of brave fools following a false hero and the Tau being a hard edged regime presenting themselves with fanatical bureaucrats and shock troops.

Both of which would sort of short out the fluff about the Imperials being baddies and the Tau being the "good guys." Especially with little humor in Cain and Jurgens' dialogue like Cain commenting on the grimness of the Imperials towards such diplomatic aliens and how funny it would be if the Tau weren't known to chop up babies with their "Honor" blades and carry off human women for their nefarious purposes.

Besides its easy to imagine Pegg in a commissar uniform toting a storm bolter and an eviscorator and Frost grabbing up a melta gun and tons of grenades and what not then Pegg looking in the armory mirror and going "Well I look absolutely ridiculous" putting them down and picking up a considerably smaller laspistol and a slender chainsaber. Then telling Frost to put back the big black grenade because "that's a six hundred year old vortex grenade and there's no sense in wasting a hand nuke."

[Edit] I understand Razarael, I was just poking some fun. I know that Japanese people aren't perverts the same way that British people don't drink tea, and American's don't all have guns.

Corrode
06-05-2009, 19:36
Brian Blessed: Raving Chaplin

No word of a lie, I'd pay GW prices to see a movie with this in.

LonelyPath
06-05-2009, 20:03
Thinking of many of the animes I have watched over the years, the Japanese could make a brilliant job of a 40k series. Live action would leave it a laughing stock, but anime would work. If people think it's all tentacles and girls with squeaky voices should branch out since in the west we only get a smattering of what is available. Seeing how I tend to watch mine directly from Japan I see a whole lot more of what is out there. Plus hentai is a specialist market that makes up less than 1% of the anime sales in the east. In recent years archeotypal characters have been in fast decline.

For a good example, look at the 2nd Vampire Hunter D movie, it's dark, gothic and somewhat bleak. it may look all sleak, but it's a dark movie at heart. Blue Gender reminded me a fair bit of 40k also.

As for a IG movie, wasn't that done with Starship Troopers? Well, it has been if they were to put IG against nids, lol. Legioneires would also have pretty much been a IG movie, but that fell flat like GW's own attempts to get a movie made. However, GW did get a Space Hulk movie prroduced for a Games Day years ago.

Rockerfella
06-05-2009, 20:08
For me, it would have to be a trilogy of films, and focus on one character really, either throughout the series, or one character per film.

Otherwise, the audience members who aren't fans (which would be most of them) would get lost.

If they made it in a Beowulf style CGI fashion, then that would work for me.

I say bring it on....

gamer2456
06-05-2009, 20:09
The Second Renaisance Part 2 (Animatrix), get the guys who did that together and have them make a 40k anime, it'd be great. link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpQ1Io3HO4Y

failing that, give Blur the chance to make a full-length CGI movie.

totgeboren
06-05-2009, 20:32
Though I enjoyed the first 3 HH books, in all honesty I think they would turn out quite lame, and would not result in a "OMG awesome movie zomg!".
All it would do is force me to hide all my 40k-related stuff when I have friends over. :P

Col. Tartleton
06-05-2009, 20:35
The Second Renaisance Part 2 (Animatrix), get the guys who did that together and have them make a 40k anime, it'd be great. link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpQ1Io3HO4Y

failing that, give Blur the chance to make a full-length CGI movie.

That is way too realistic and grimdark for warhammer 40k. I refuse to let them do it ;)

Trogdor
06-05-2009, 20:49
Whilst I'm not overly enthusiastic about any big screen HH adaptation, I think Gaunt's Ghosts would make an awesome, prime time/bank holiday TV show, in the same manner as Sharpe was in the 90's. Either that or the Eisenhorn trilogy.

Rockerfella
06-05-2009, 20:55
Well, by trilogy I meant a series of films (three.... naturally.. lol) that worked on the entire horus heresy. Not just the first three books.

get peter Jackson to direct it! It can't fail!

SylverClaw
06-05-2009, 21:44

Ok... ok... stop right there with that. Peter Jackson is not god of film making.

King Kong? I fell asleep watching that... twice.

The Frighteners. I like that film, it's funny, but it's not that well directed nor is it a masterpiece.

Lord of the Rings was excellent, of course. But you couldn't go too far wrong with such strong and well protected source material. And you just wait for The Hobbit 2 (wtf???) which he is writing/producing.

He also makes a point of being in all his films as a cameo, which I really hate. Yeah, we know you did it Peter... get back behind the camera where you belong you hairy weirdo.

My money would be on Guillermo del Toro. Only he has the dark, insane mind needed to create the Grimdark far future. Or for the musical clay puppet version... Tim Burton.

SimonL
06-05-2009, 22:29
Anyone else think the guy who played Xerxes from 300 would make a perfect Horus?

Col. Tartleton
06-05-2009, 22:38
He's Ben Affleck I already went over this...

Trust me, it'll make sense. Horus needs to not look evil but still be hated bythe audience the whole time and no one should be surprised he's the one who goes traitor regardless of how nice he talks and how good he acts.

Raibaru
06-05-2009, 22:59
I think we're closer to a 40k movie now then we were in the past. With the success of Dawn of War and Dawn of War 2, the game has gotten a lot more exposure then it was given in the past.

And while the heresy would be a logical place to start a movie, I'm not sure it would work. Far too broad.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
06-05-2009, 23:42
The problem with movies and series that are typically made by western studios is that they need to have a clear character the audience emphasises with. Now This would be ok for a one off film but for a series or trilogy it'd be terrible, the universe and story of the heresy is so huge there is just no way you could tell it from one perspective. Hence the way they have gone with the books.

I think the best way to do it justice would be 3 movies telling the beginning middle and end of the heresy from a different factions perspective. Start with the guard to make it more accessible then second movie marines and final movie chaos. Not every detail and avenue needs to be explored, the movies dont have to have threadds linking them together or common characters just telling snippets from the overall story arch. always leaves space to go back in the future and fill in blanks.

SimonL
06-05-2009, 23:56
getting close too? You guys telling me you haven't see the 40k movies? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0XNf0G5ugs&feature=related "Hive City" and "Blood for the Blood God"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFrdBubVT78 Part 1 of "Inquisitor"

And yes, those were made by GW

tacoo
07-05-2009, 00:08
A HH movie would be expensive to make, and to fit it into 3 movies would butcher the books for the movie so much as the end product would be nothing like the books. if we do see a 40k movie though, somthing like HH would be a good bet or somthing Vs normall humanish things. and even with CG, could you imangine how cheasy somthing like sanguines's wings or the gauss flaying effect would look?

SimonL
07-05-2009, 00:12
the gauss flaying effect would look?

Think "Mars Attacks" ;)

Cypher, the Emperor
07-05-2009, 00:13
I was thinking that they could do a pretty good WH40K animated movie if they got the team that did GI Joe: Resolute and The Boondocks, who are an american animation studio, but do japanese style animation quite well.

Either that, or just bring in the team that did the inro movie for Dawn of War and have the whole thing be full CG.

Ranger S2H
07-05-2009, 00:20
how about guard vs orks for a 40k movie?
with space marines only making an appearance at the final battle or something.

Heimlich
07-05-2009, 00:56
A lot of the Horus Heresy books are bad. That's why....

perplexiti
07-05-2009, 01:08

Seconded. Anything with him in it is gold.

malika
07-05-2009, 01:10
What would the movie be about...race A blasting race B? Sounds like a rather dull movie to me...

Get Paul Anderson or whatever his name is, that horrible man who made those Resident Evil movies and Alien vs Predator.

SimonL
07-05-2009, 01:21
I'm sorry, Uwe Boll is clearly the man needed to make a Warhammer movie :P

baphomael
07-05-2009, 01:30
the demmand wouldnt be sufficient. Plus they would never do it justice.

Having said that, they made a film based on Mutant Chronicles - which was even more niche than 40k.

And having said that, the Mutant Chronicles film, and its total raping of the Warzone/Mutant Chronicles universe, is probably a good example of why we havnt seen a 40k movie so far.

Skyrir
07-05-2009, 04:27
Hmm it would be cool. The best people for the job I can think of would be the crew behind The Chronicles of Riddick. The visuals in that movie were astounding the whole way through even if the movie wasnt the greatest. The current "pro"- wrestling crop would make good blocky marines, just would have to give them acting classes, alot of acting classes. I dont think you could use normal actors for the marines for scale reasons unless you used trick photgraphy like they did int LOTRs. Who would Sean Connery play?

Sean Connery = Abbadon

Hell yeah

dooombot
07-05-2009, 06:20
Live action? meh.

Now CGI, glorious Advent-Children/Beowulf - like CGI movie, that would be great.

EDIT: Just make them straight-to-dvd!!!

genestealer_baldric
07-05-2009, 08:12
iam not sure its a good idea recentley my favorite book series (sword and truth series) was made into a TV program and it so poor and mixed up iam sure it was designed to induce brain death.

and it likely it will happen to the hersay to effictivly explain it it will need to have about 10 movies and so is totaly unfeasible, due to cost and time scale it may come out in 30 years time. i would love a 40k movie but the Hersay if far to long comnplex and such epic proportions iam not sure it could be done in 3 movies.

movie 1. meet the chacters at the end horus is struck down and wakes up evil
movie 2. seeds of hersay slowily turning and start to head to terra and start the segie of the place
movie 3. serige continues Big E vs Horus then all the primarks responses who havent been seen up to this point and the aftermarth.

it cant been done to any standard in 3 movies unless each is 12 hrs long

Lord-Caerolion
07-05-2009, 08:25
I'd think it'd be great to do a Horus Heresy series of movies, but the cost would be way too much. You'd need to have it go for more than 3 movies, and to truly get some public appreciation, don't advertise it as the Horus Heresy series. Advertise it as the Great Crusade (yes, impossible, I know), if anything just so we fans can laugh when the wider public realises whats going to happen.

genestealer_baldric
07-05-2009, 08:52
I'd think it'd be great to do a Horus Heresy series of movies, but the cost would be way too much. You'd need to have it go for more than 3 movies, and to truly get some public appreciation, don't advertise it as the Horus Heresy series. Advertise it as the Great Crusade (yes, impossible, I know), if anything just so we fans can laugh when the wider public realises whats going to happen.

walk past the que going in and say "ooo this is the one one were horus rebels starts a huge civil war kills one of his brother that poncy flying one, then gets vaporised by his farther after dealing a crippling blow"

Laser guided fanatic
07-05-2009, 15:27

Seconded. Anything with him in it is gold.

What a coincidence apparently Brian Blessed did the voice for Admiral Constantine in Fire Warrior, I haven't played the game so I don't know how much of a role it was.

mattcollins1986
07-05-2009, 16:09
the problem is that if a HH movie was made, it wouldnt have the time to explain the beginnings of the Imperium, who or what Space Marines are in comparison to the Imperial Army.
It would be too rushed if anything. One of the reasons why we all love the HH is because the background has been built upon since about 1989.

Lord_Magellan
07-05-2009, 18:31
I'm seeing it now. Jack Black as Horus, Steve Martin as the Emperor and Barry Manilow as Sanguinius, complete with Joel Schumaker Directing and Michael Bay producing. Special cameo by Hugh Jackman as Imperial Guard cannon fodder solider # 26.

eldaran
07-05-2009, 19:10
Jack Black as Horus...Lol:D:D

Get Viggo Mortenson to play Night Haunter - he played a really freaky guy in A History of Violence...

Other than that, what about the big E? Morgan Freeman:p

Max Jet
07-05-2009, 19:18
Well, by trilogy I meant a series of films (three.... naturally.. lol) that worked on the entire horus heresy. Not just the first three books.

>cough< >cough<

Braindead, the frighteneers, Bad taste.. >cough<

Lord_Magellan
07-05-2009, 19:20
...Phillip Seymore Hoffman as Nurgle and Robin Williams as Slaanesh....

Sorros
07-05-2009, 19:24
I agree. It would make an epic series of movies that I'm sure would pull in a far wider audience than just the GW faithful.

Unfortunately, I feel it would never get the treatment it deserves. The gothic imagery and universal tragedy of the tale would need to be painstakingly handled by the right director. Del Toro or Peter Jackson could have a fair crack at it. I would personally like to see a director like Terrence Malick given a project like this. Anyone who's seen The Thin Red Line will vouch for his quality.

But you know full well it would be given to some dynamite-happy mook like Michael Bay to **** up, so it's best left untouched. :)

I was going to say exactly that...get Del Toro or Jackson to do it, and it would be epic. The storyline would be pretty cool, along with special effects, but I get the feeling it would be screwed up with anyone else...at least, if they didn't have the same...style...

Lord_Magellan
07-05-2009, 20:03
As my first serious reply to this: If it's done, let the British do it. Every time we try to americanize a British intellectual property we screw it up seven ways to sunday. The American Red Dwarf? Find some of that mess on youtube if you dare. Or Doctor Who? I liked Paul McGann as Doctor #8 but there was so much continuity destruction in the TV movie I could barely enjoy it. Since when do the daleks, for example, sound like a bad 80's atari sound effect?

Let the British helm the movie, whatever it would be. If they want to get Jackson, del Toro, Schumaker, Whippy Dizz Pickle, power to 'em, but I trust them to get the spirit of the property right, instead of cutting it apart for "american" tastes.

(Mind you, I say that as an American and as the biggest Doctor Who fan around. I totally believe this should be a home grown deal.)

Rockerfella
07-05-2009, 20:08
>cough< >cough<

Braindead, the frighteneers, Bad taste.. >cough<

Braindead rules, brother. The firghteners, that was micheal J fox, right? Ok... i'll give you that one.

Personally, I liked King Kong. Was great to see whats her name in a wet frock. *coughs*

As my first serious reply to this: If it's done, let the British do it. Every time we try to americanize a British intellectual property we screw it up seven ways to sunday. The American Red Dwarf? Find some of that mess on youtube if you dare. Or Doctor Who? I liked Paul McGann as Doctor #8 but there was so much continuity destruction in the TV movie I could barely enjoy it. Since when do the daleks, for example, sound like a bad 80's atari sound effect?

Let the British helm the movie, whatever it would be. If they want to get Jackson, del Toro, Schumaker, Whippy Dizz Pickle, power to 'em, but I trust them to get the spirit of the property right, instead of cutting it apart for "american" tastes.

(Mind you, I say that as an American and as the biggest Doctor Who fan around. I totally believe this should be a home grown deal.)

Oh, and I'm all for this, too!

Sttucker13
07-05-2009, 20:14
[Edit] I understand Razarael, I was just poking some fun. I know that Japanese people aren't perverts the same way that British people don't drink tea, and American's don't all have guns.

You take that back right now.

trestrong
07-05-2009, 20:14
i think if they made one it would be alot like the lord of the rings films as in succesfull and prequils and generally good

Awilla the Hun
07-05-2009, 20:45
Personally, I rather wouldn't make it an anime.

This is half personal prejudice. The other half is that the art style isn't remotely anime like. (Well, maybe the Tau and bits of Eldar.) It's all beautiful portraits and suchlike.

If they have to make it arty, make it look a bit like this: (Watch in High Definition.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfvCjLgbpy0

(Barry Lyndon "First Taste of Battle") Preferably with that kind of voiceover to explain everything. And probably faster pace and more violence (unless we are doing the military career of a cad-Ciaphas Cain who, coincidentally, is probably best played by Rowan Atkinson with Tony Robinson as Jurgen. Because they're both too old, I shall do some research, whilst praying that they don't use Mitchell and Webb, Martin Clunes, or anyone off "Outnumbered".)

Sorros
07-05-2009, 20:53
Anime of 40k? Hell no. That would totally ruin it!

[SD] Bob Plisskin
07-05-2009, 23:29
The best way to do it would be to set it in an underhive in the year 40K and they are under attack by chaos forces, a father tells his child the story of the heresy to show how the Emperor will always protect. Directed by David Fincher. With Mickey Rourke as Horus.

Eldarion
07-05-2009, 23:44
Anime of 40k? Hell no. That would totally ruin it!

Care to explain why?

Having the 40k anime is potentially a great move, its easier to "narrate" the massive plot over a few series compared to bottling it down to a movie of an hour and a half............

Have you seen the Dead space anime? It reminds me of 40k ship in a warp storm.

And Anime has improved too, no more cheesy cartoons!

Col. Tartleton
08-05-2009, 00:02
It would have to be a top notch cartoon. There's no other way that it could be funded. TV shows get commercials to pay for them.

Then you get season collections on DVD for crazy money. People who hadn't seen it on TV or even heard of it may pick it up as a DVD. Release it first in Britain, the US, and have a Japanese dub. These countries would be the primary sources of income (Brits know Warhammer, Americans like action filled cartoons, Japan LOVES cartoons.)

It can be adapted further from there. Probably work out a deal to show it on Cartoon Network in the states as a late night show. Get some publicity out that its a prime time show in its own right, but that doesn't matter, because if it gets good reviews (ie. its something dark, new, startlingly realistic, and close to home) then you will make crazy bucks on the DVD end for years to come. Get some proper merchandising out by expanding Black Library a bit to handle it (T shirts action figures, memorabilia, sell out for cashwithout losing the spirit of the material) and ultimately try to draw people back to the table top. Worse comes to worse it flops and we still get a season of crazy dank power armored shows on toonami ;)

a squig
08-05-2009, 07:21
CGI yes Anime no iam aware they are close to each other i did have breif look at Dead space but no not for 40K. The issue no ones added yet is it will need to be a minium of an 18 rated movie to make it the blood soaked blood bath we all know and love. This would be alianate a large target audence for GW the kids. And if the movie comes out and its a 12 or 15 it will be so poor.

and lets face it how many parents realy know 40k fluff if they watch a program about facist dictators, tourture, mulitation, and demons may cause them to stop ther kids playing gw

Templar_Victorious
12-09-2009, 03:35
Why not have the great directors all getting one short scene to make, something that shows which decor they will use, how they character will be portrayed and how Space Marines act, live and fight. THQ's DoW2 intro would be pretty good as a show of weapon usage for space marines.

That way, we could find the director who makes the best justice to the film, and if some are equally good, let them co-direct the movie.

Steel Legion for Life
12-09-2009, 07:08
There are some posts on this thread that make me glad becoming a film exec is hard. Get "the people who made chronicles of Riddick to do it"?

Well, I'm sure they'd be happy to, seeing as if there's any justice in the world they're all flipping burgers now, having not had the balls to stand up to Vin Diesel when he said "I want to remake Dune - but make it even worse".

The problem with GW films has always been the merchandising. GW want to control all of it, so they can protect their core brand. No film company is willing to make that deal. Negotiations stall dead on that point. To my knowledge, that is what scuppered both the proposed Bloodquest and Space Hulk films.

I think the best (and, fortunately most fiscally realistic) way to do an HH visual medium adaptation would be animation in some form. I'd prefer a nice 2d style - the real joy of animation is you can do things like melting magma cities and it doesn't cost any more, frame by frame, than having people sitting around talking.

252nd Fire Dragoon
12-09-2009, 07:59
Aloha,
Are you suggesting that Dune the original was a bad movie...

Condottiere
12-09-2009, 13:31
The first half was interesting, then it went basically nowhere.

Gutlord Grom
12-09-2009, 14:28
Have you seen the Dead space anime? It reminds me of 40k ship in a warp storm.

I remember the animation was terrible, the plot silly as Gretchin in a sugar mill, and had characters chiseled out of pure cliche. Hardly an example of a well pulled off manimated movie.(We're both talking about Downfall, right?)

Londinium
12-09-2009, 18:32
It wouldn't be so hard to create a 40k or Horus Heresy movie, using the guard it's nothing more than a usual humans vs aliens storyline but with the religious overtones, the despair, the utter lack of humanity etc, somewhat like Children of Men crossed with Starship Troopers. In regards to Space Marines, a major film studio could easily knock out a Space Marine movie using the technology behind Sin City and 300.

The issue would be firstly how close to the source material would a big hollywood studio be prepared to go, i.e will it be a 'The Dark Knight' or 'Batman and Robin' and how much would they be prepared to promote it. Any movie can be a big smash hit if you promote it enough and the actual movie itself is decent, just look at how much TDK raked in and that was a dark and mature movie or look at LOTR which is a total geekfest of a movie and still managed to pull in millions of people who wouldn't be seen dead with a copy of the book.

Personally speaking you'd need someone like Scott, Cameron or Jackson to pull off something of this quality and not water it down and I doubt any of them are really interested in 40k.

Deamon-forge
12-09-2009, 18:35
Personally speaking you'd need someone like Scott, Ridley or Jackson to pull off something of this quality and not water it down and I doubt any of them are really interested in 40k.

or even both of them, i think they would do a good job.

pies
12-09-2009, 18:56
I think that would a 40k movie be made doing the Horus Heresy is a bad idea. There is now so much backstory that it would be very hard to make something fans would like, as well as anyone else. There would be to much of "that's not what I thought it would be like." I don't think I need to fully explain.

So why not make some new IP? I would think it's a good time to explain more of the the Apostasy War. I'm not going to say who should direct it or who should play parts, because that's kinda silly. But adding to the universe seems to be a much better idea then rehashing the most storied part of the 40k universe.

AlltoEasy
12-09-2009, 21:19
There are some posts on this thread that make me glad becoming a film exec is hard. Get "the people who made chronicles of Riddick to do it"?

Well, I'm sure they'd be happy to, seeing as if there's any justice in the world they're all flipping burgers now, having not had the balls to stand up to Vin Diesel when he said "I want to remake Dune - but make it even worse".

The problem with GW films has always been the merchandising. GW want to control all of it, so they can protect their core brand. No film company is willing to make that deal. Negotiations stall dead on that point. To my knowledge, that is what scuppered both the proposed Bloodquest and Space Hulk films.

I think the best (and, fortunately most fiscally realistic) way to do an HH visual medium adaptation would be animation in some form. I'd prefer a nice 2d style - the real joy of animation is you can do things like melting magma cities and it doesn't cost any more, frame by frame, than having people sitting around talking.

This is exactly right! no movie exec/studio is willing to give up the rights for merchandise on a IP they have given millions and millions of /$ to make a movie for. The last and pretty much the only time that has happened was Mister George Lucas and trust me a lot of people got fired at fox because of Lucas retaining the merchandising rights. Lets face it why should GW give up those rights?

I was under the impression that there was meant to be a BFG cg tv show in the works. But due to the LOTR agreement GW had to shelve any media ventures to secure the license to produce that line, and what with the hobbit due out in the next few years and the potential revenue that will bring in for GW (if they retain the license, that is) would prevent them from undertaking any such venture.

I would love to see the 40k universe up on the big screen. But at the end of the day unless it's CG it just would cost too much money.

My vote still goes for a Gaunt's ghosts CG tv show it has a pretty self contained story and peeps you can root for. As well as being from the point of view of humans that have nothing to lose and everything to prove. It's just that marines are to super human. But Brotherhood of the Snake could make a good self contained anthology series. (what can I say I'm a bit of an Dan Abnett fan)

Dan

RCgothic
12-09-2009, 21:42
You couldn't do the Horus Heresy on the big screen, at least not to start with. It's too epic, bigger than Lord Of The Rings.

I'd start with Gaunt's Ghosts. Necropolis would make an awesome film.

Logarithm Udgaur
12-09-2009, 21:50
Special cameo by Hugh Jackman as Imperial Guard cannon fodder solider # 26.
No way, he has got to be Onalius Pious (Sp?)!

Condottiere
13-09-2009, 00:05
I thought he was the Terminator with the Lightning Claws?

Mannimarco
13-09-2009, 00:09
and we gotta have brian blessed as russ, look into yor heart, you know it to be true

massey
13-09-2009, 08:29
You guys are all crazy. Bigger than Lord of the Rings?

I could barely get through half of the first book of the HH series. You need more than a longwinded complicated plot to be bigger than Lord of the Rings. Just look at Battlefield: Earth.

The Horus Heresy story itself is not particularly well written. It's about on par with the writing in the Twilight of the Clans series that FASA put out about ten years ago. They're game books, little else. There's no protagonist that ties the series together. You'd be introducing characters no one knows just to have them appear. "Hi, I'm Sanguinius. Why do I have wings? I don't know. I'm just here to get killed by the bad guy. Pay no attention to me." The HH is all background. There's little in the way of actual story there to be told.

Dexter099
13-09-2009, 23:40
With all the bad directors like Uwe Boll and Paul Anderson messing up these kinds of movies, it would be a failure in the end.

ThePrecious
14-09-2009, 00:59
I don't know how it would be best made, but a gaunt's ghost movie would be awesome. I wouldn't even mind if they deviated from the strory or made a whole new world to fight for as long as the characters and the spirit stay the same.

sabreu
14-09-2009, 01:17
I second ciaphas cain. perhaps the only screen worthy 40k character that would make sense to a main stream public.

genestealer_baldric
14-09-2009, 08:11
lets be honest the 40k universe is a very evil place we the good guys are basically nazis in power armour. The ammount of flack that the movie and GW would get would be unbelivable it would make all these online forms seem like a 1 13 year old complaing about losing in comparsion to what it would happen after the movie.

The HH wold be amazing but there is soooooo much detail and info a movie even as long as the LOTR would barley scratch the surface leaving a confused new audience and angerd fans.

It would have to be somthing like the battle for macragge due to its simplicity in comaprsion to the rest of 40k and a typical fight that joe average can relate to.

ThePrecious
15-09-2009, 04:14
It would have to be somthing like the battle for macragge due to its simplicity in comaprsion to the rest of 40k and a typical fight that joe average can relate to.

would the average joe relate to the mindless tyranid vicious space faring xenos or the super human one in a billion elite super soldiers of a god? :p

A.Gentleman
15-09-2009, 06:52
The Horus Heresy is so incredibly vast it would be difficult to do it justice. I've always thought since reading the books, and I may be alone in this, but I've always thought that the Eisenhorn books would make brilliant movies.

Just my 1000 gold splonders
(A cookie for anyone who gets the refference ;))

A.Gentleman

genestealer_baldric
15-09-2009, 07:01
would the average joe relate to the mindless tyranid vicious space faring xenos or the super human one in a billion elite super soldiers of a god? :p

What i was getting at humans Vs aliens hoards is an established story allready but not on that scale, and hey who dosnt like seeing thousands of smurfs getting killed well except smurfet.

it would also look very very kool nid titans vs imprial titans going at it while swarms fight around there feet and it would be easier to tell the diffrence over a sea of fighting power armour.

NightrawenII
15-09-2009, 07:11
The HH wold be amazing but there is soooooo much detail and info a movie even as long as the LOTR would barley scratch the surface leaving a confused new audience and angerd fans.

Agreed. HH have many characters and need many explanations (for ignorant masses).

I have two scenarios in my mind.

IG movie, like Enemy at the Gates(Fifteen Hours).
+ awesome battle effects, simple understanding (for ignorant masses), very Grimdark (comissars shooting people, inhuman foes single-handely tearing guardmans apart etc. etc.)
- no 40k depth, another chop-chop&dakka-dakka movie

Deathwatch kill-team action against Nids in Space Hulk, with Inquisitor and retinue
+ some 40k depth, grimdark: geneticaly enhanced super-warriors fighting with alien mindless killing-bioconstructs, with normal people around no need for *human* SM
- another Alien vs. Predator movie, difficulty in showing the inhumanity of SM, SM in the movie;)

Logarithm Udgaur
15-09-2009, 09:11
Just my 1000 gold splonders
(A cookie for anyone who gets the refference ;))

Well, as I remember, 1000 golden splendors is from 1001 Arabian Nights (the book). I would suppose that gold splonders is the (not so) cleverly ironic netspeak for a whole lot of nothing.
While googling the phrase, I ran across this webcomic
http://www.sailorsun.org/index.php?comicID=24
which is kind of funny and which I shall now commence to read, so I win either way.

P.S. I like white chocolate macadamia cookies.

Shadowheart
15-09-2009, 10:24
I'd say a bigger problem than the need for pre-existing knowledge of 40K is the need for pre-existing interest in 40K. By itself the Horus Heresy is a pretty bland story. All you've got for characters are badass action dudes and all you've got for drama is betrayal and rivalry between them.

What makes the Horus Heresy awesome to a lot of 40K fans is that it's the defining event in Imperial/Space Marine history. But to someone who doesn't know and doesn't care about Space Marines it won't add up to much of anything.

I think if they ever did a movie for 40K they ought to come up with a new story for it, something build from the ground up to suit a movie format. The setting is flexible enough for that, it's hardly set in stone. And if you're investing that kind of money anyway you might as well shell out for a bit of extra writing.

I really can't see 40K as anime, by the way. Sure, it'd make a fine bit of sci-fi action that way, but it would hardly be 40K. 40K's a highly visual fiction and it's thoroughly European (more than a little British, in particular). I can't see anime carrying the same cultural connotations that make 40K work for me.

Bloodriver
15-09-2009, 13:24
I would love to see a 40k movie (or series of movies). In order to be successful it would simply need the same factors working for it that other good epic SF films need - basically people who believe in the concept, commit to it and do it justice with a good script, good visuals and a good cast. I would hate to see it done as a full CG movie like Beowulf, which I found a massive disappointment, but obviously the CG content would need to be very high to recreate all the stuff that would not be feasible to do for real.

I'm not sure, however that the Horus Heresy is the best subject for the story (at least for the first film). But whatever story would be chosen, it would inevitably focus on Space Marines, since they're the signature army of the 40k universe. I think GW would make that stipulation regardless of how much freedom they gave the production.

As for profitability, it would certainly be expensive to do properly, so it would need to appeal to the general movie-going public, not just existing 40k fans. I really don't see that as a problem; if Transformers and G.I Joe can work, I believe 40k has much more going for it than them. The great thing is that there are really no good guys, and that immediately sets the subject apart from the normal sphere of SF and action films. Some may see that as a negative, but I think different is good. The 40k universe is so rich in characters, tragedy, heroism, conflict and betrayal and all those things that have made for great storytelling ever since we humans started to tell each other stories, I think most directors and producers would sell their children for the chance to be involved. And who can't picture Bruce Willis or Jason Statham in a suit of blue power armour!

genestealer_baldric
15-09-2009, 13:55
Thats a point who wants to see 2+ hrs of rather disturbing Company Love for the boys in blue.

massey
15-09-2009, 14:33
The HH story itself is very simple.

It is the far future. Nations have risen and fallen. From the ashes of the old republic, an empire rises to liberate humanity from the yoke of alien conquerors. But at the turning point of the crusade, a general schemes...

Pretty simple story, really. Too simple. There aren't really that many interesting characters. The books were written for an audience that already knows how things turn out. So any attempt to make it a LotR style 10 hour epic movie series would require making actual protagonists for an audience to follow.

You could do a Space Hulk movie. You could do a Battle for MacCragge movie. BfM might actually be pretty cool. You could focus on the outnumbered marines and how they fight the alien horde. And Tyranids could look really cool onscreen.

Dr. Hellbeast
15-09-2009, 14:36
I'll say what I say every time a thread like this surfaces: Better it stay in the imaginations of people. Anything made into a film would be an anticlimax.

Keep it in your bonces.

HonourThyMaster
15-09-2009, 16:44
HA you are all dreaming if you think games workshop would ever allow a movie to be based on anything 40k related.

Im sure known of you know but some guys did make a movie about a space marines chapter with the approval of GWS but once it was finished GWS turned round and said it couldt be shown.

There are all rules and what not about films but the jist of it would be that having a movie would allow other toy companies to start making figures, models and toys of thing featured in the movie, which of course would take movie from GWS as you would be buying models from other retails and probably cheapper too. So really with GWS being the try and make as much money as we can and screw our customers they wouldt put themselves in such a position.

Face it guys if you want to see a space marine movie you better make it yourselves.

Eldoriath
15-09-2009, 17:08
An simple idea that wouldn't have to involve any of the big, written fluff is a Sapce hulk movie. Yeah, it's practically Aliens 2 all over again, but I think it would serve as a beach-head into the 40k universe. You get to see the elite of the elite human warriors fighting against one of the many threats (and biggest although slow in interstellar travel afaik) while showing the background. Mankind has had a golden age which has been lost and these space hulks are one opportunity to regain some of it.

Basic lay-out could be:
Intro voice tells something about how the emperor showed mankind out into space conquering a large part of the galaxy, just to decay and loosing knowledge about how the technology works. Meanwhile there is a "montage" of the evolution of things.

Then it switches to showing an imperial vessel traveling through space and comes across a Space hulk and reports this in to higher athorities (sp?) which decides to send out a team of space marines in tactical dreadnought armor (avoiding the term "terminators" might be good consideringen the terminator trilogys popularity). Then the audience will get the picture of how rare and valuable, albeit dangerous, these space hulks are in a briefing room where som top-notch breifs some underlings or whatever why this space hulk is so important, and why the gene-engineered super-human space marines must be dispatched imidiately (sp?). This is of course because space hulks too often are filled of dangerous enemies, often the tyranids (proceed to show pictures of tyranids of different sizes and point out the most typical kind to be in space hulks, the Genestealer).

This intro could be as short as maybe 15 minutes, or even 10 perhaps. Now the "un-initiated" has some ground to stand on:
It's set in the 41st millenium.
Humans have explored the galaxy.
Humans have lost knowledge of ancient (and more advanced) technology.
Space hulks contain ancient knowledge.
Humans have super-warriors.
There are smart space bugs that fights humans.

Enough ground to stand on for a newcomer to the universe. Then fill the movie with some nice action sequences and maybe a ncie twist about the genestealers and the secret of this specific space hulk.

Risk is, as I said, people see it as a starship troopers/aliens mix and will not be too much impressed. But I think a 40k movie could be done, you just don't have to go into one of the epic stories. Or maybe do it as damnatus did, play it out in a hive city. A space marine leads a squad of inquisitorial storm troopers after a inquisitor has asked the space marines for assistance. This will allow GW to show up the poster boy and will have time to show how superhuman good he is compared to regular, elite-trained humans.

wilycoyote
15-09-2009, 21:24
A movies.....never....linited appealto get the funding

Transformers (and GI JOE - the movie does suck btw) are worldwide franchises with mass appeal. 40k is not a tenth as popular as many here try to make out. It would be difficult to find favor with the popular masses unless you did something spectacular, back to money again.

As others have said you have real problems in the human background, effectively its a religious dictatorship, enforced by genocidal nazis. Even the high wallah on the throne has thousands of innocents sacrificed to maintain a simulcram of life.

Space Hulk scenarios are Aliens (where the idea originated anyway) and Orcs are just daft for a "serious" sf film, Necrons are terminators....and so on . GW have plagarised so much its hard to find a unique theme.

No keep 40k as a game and in books. I am afraid it could never compete with the serious films such as District 9 (no they are not Tau guns. Tau themselves were cribbed from the original Starship Troopers japanese anime) or the visual excellence of the forthcoming Avatar.

WilyC

zeep
15-09-2009, 21:38
Do we really want to give Uwe Boll another chance at a movie? its inevitable that he would end up directing it.

BrotherMoses
15-09-2009, 22:21
Who would Sean Connery play?

ROFL. Commissar Yarrick ofcourse! ROFL.

I need to go lie down now. :D

Gorthaur
15-09-2009, 22:42
The only way to properly do a 40k movie based on the Horus Heresy is to do it based on the books, Horus Rising would be a good start. Also, it would have to be 95% CGI, with only peoples faces not being digital. No one in this current time would make a 40k film and if they did and failed at doing so then they would receive so much hate that they may commit suicide cause they cant take it anymore, after all 40k fans are sort of like Star Trek fans. Good actors would also need to be in place, and it would have to be rated R.

Logarithm Udgaur
16-09-2009, 00:26
GW have plagarised so much its hard to find a unique theme......
.......Tau themselves were cribbed from the original Starship Troopers japanese anime) or the visual excellence of the forthcoming Avatar.

The first is the reason anything beyond IG vs Nids or SM vs CSM or some combination of the above is (maybe throw Tau in) the only way a 40K movie could avoid litigation. I say Ciaphias Cain if they are going for a book adaption.

I knew I had read those cud-chewers before, they are skinnies!

LususNaturae
16-09-2009, 00:47
Dunno if it's been said (too lazy to skim 3 pages) but a lot of things stopping this is rating.

In order to do a 40k movie justice, it would have to been rated R. There's no other way. Problem is, this cuts out the 8-14 year old kids w/ their Ultrasmurf armies, cuz mommie and daddy won't let them see such a movie.

If you do tone it down to get to PG-13 (Most American parents will let their 8 or 9 year old kid watch a PG-13 movie), then you're not going to get the effect 40K deserves, and the veteran fanbase is going to throw a fit.

Bottom line: It can't be done, and I don't want it to be done. They're better off spending money on their video game franchise (OH LOOK THEY ARE!)

Draquenoire
16-09-2009, 00:49
A Horus Heresy movie could work very well. Of course most of the HH background would be neatly wrapped up in the first 5-10 mins of exposition, like in LoTR: FotR. Terra would most likely be the focus of the movie with a good build up between the Emperor and Horus and their unique relationship which would be explained through flashback sequences. And Sanguinius would rock so hard it wouldn't even be funny..

Hellebore
16-09-2009, 00:52
Dunno if it's been said (too lazy to skim 3 pages) but a lot of things stopping this is rating.

In order to do a 40k movie justice, it would have to been rated R. There's no other way. Problem is, this cuts out the 8-14 year old kids w/ their Ultrasmurf armies, cuz mommie and daddy won't let them see such a movie.

If you do tone it down to get to PG-13 (Most American parents will let their 8 or 9 year old kid watch a PG-13 movie), then you're not going to get the effect 40K deserves, and the veteran fanbase is going to throw a fit.

Bottom line: It can't be done, and I don't want it to be done. They're better off spending money on their video game franchise (OH LOOK THEY ARE!)

Well, they could do what they did to the King Arthur movie a few years ago, make it pg13 for cinema release and then put all the gore back in for the dvd.

Hellebore

ThePrecious
16-09-2009, 00:54
that'd work pretty well and satisfy almost everyone

MarshalFaust
16-09-2009, 01:12
im glad none of us are in charge of making the movie. :)

anime? seriously? it would completely kill the look and feel of the universe that GW has cultivated over the past 20 something years.

I have to admit it would be cool to see marines kicking ass on the big screen but i hope they never make a 40k movie you just know it would be a horrible stinking mess. just look at what Hollywood produces i wouldn't want them to get anywhere near the source material.

Chief Librarian Zypher
16-09-2009, 02:36
Maybe like a guard vs. orks type of movie, like a Steel Legion or something like that and then have like the marines show up at the end for a big massive apoco type of battle ... and then the Horus Heresy could be a prequel.

I don't think they should jump straight into the Horus Heresy without first getting the box office's "feet wet" per say.

BrotherMoses
16-09-2009, 02:57
Whichever one of you said anime should be drug out into the street and shot. :wtf:

Troah
16-09-2009, 03:03
No, they shouldn't make a movie for 40k. They'll mess it up just like they messed up the Eragon & DBZ movie.

Bloodriver
16-09-2009, 04:32
The number of times the word "cinematic" appears in the 5th ed rule book and supporting articles suggests that the idea of a film has at least been seriously considered.:D

Hellebore
16-09-2009, 04:51
The number of times the word "cinematic" appears in the 5th ed rule book and supporting articles suggests that the idea of a film has at least been seriously considered.:D

Lol, their idea of cinematic is dragging manequins around on wheels. :rolleyes:

See this cinematic rule in our rulebook? It's so cinematic to draw a line from your immobile model to my immobile model through a badly modelled stick in some clay.

Forget the cinema of soldiers hugging cover, forget the cinema of uneven terrain and foliage density in excess of what can be modelled. NO! The cinema of SEEING a defiantly posing commissar reading a book on a rock from your defiantly posing marine captain fisting the air on a rock is FAR more important.

Hellebore

Logarithm Udgaur
16-09-2009, 05:53
fisting the air
My new favorite phrase.

Condottiere
16-09-2009, 06:14
The ambiance of 40K is just a point of view - I'm thinking of a 40K series in the Samurai Champloo style, about a bunch of Space Marines just trying to do their job, assisting a snotty nosed Inquisitor, but running into interference with every single Imperial institution that wants to stop them, for reasons of their own. With lots of 21st century references the audience can relate to.

16-09-2009, 07:24
of course they have thought of it. anyone play movie marines (american wd 300 I think) :)

oh wait they were broken (and fun) as anything......

Flawed
16-09-2009, 08:00
You could do a movie easily enough set just after the Heresy. The Imperium is broken and while Dorn is out restoring it, Guilleman takes over. You could play up the Emperor's champion bit, with Dorn at the defence of Terra and emphasise that Papa smurf was no where to be found when it counted. With a narrow focus on two primary characters you've got a chance to build them. Factor in the very human betrayal on top of the heresy and you've got your conflict. Add the other surviving loyalist Primarchs as filler, as well as maybe some notable marines, Bjorn, Sigismund etc and you've got enough faces to set up for future movies or enough setting to now tell the actual heresy.

genestealer_baldric
16-09-2009, 08:17
Whichever one of you said anime should be drug out into the street and shot. :wtf:

Shot are you mad??? he should be flogged to death with a whip made of bullets held together with the sinew of past heratics.

Logarithm Udgaur
16-09-2009, 15:50
Considering any movie made would have to be 70% (at least) CG, I do not think anime (short for animation) is to far off. Think like the first Heavy Metal film, a more realistic style than most anime. I think that would fit perfectly.

canucklhead
16-09-2009, 16:06
And keep in mind that anime does not have to mean yugio, or any of that spiky purple haired weirdness. Spawn was a brilliant cross over between anime style and western visual concepts.

If you improved the 'reality' of the characters, even the current cg being used in the 'clone wars' series could make some interesting stuff. Straight to DVD, rated anything it has to be, brutal, dark, and no holds barred.

DeathTyrant
16-09-2009, 16:11
I ran a thread search for 'mini series' so if it has been mentioned already, I blame the search function. :D

The Horus Heresy would have to be something like HBO's Rome. In other words a mini series or two.
As others have mentioned, doing the story justice would require a lot of work and a big budget.

Pvt. Ratt
16-09-2009, 16:42
You guys are rather prejudice eh, geeks? Hating on anime, and their otaku, as such? Real d*mn manly of you to hate on other geeks. D*mn manly. It was only some ones opinion to this post. Some of you didn't even give an answer to the subject you just trolled. :rolleyes:

In my very honest opinion it can't be anime because anime almost always has some form of, in my opinion, retarded humor. 40k's humor is dark at best. That and a pointy nosed, gem eyed, Smurf or a happy go lucky, high pitched, Sister of Battle could possibly turn me from the Emperor's light to the Xeno or the Traitor with all intent of removing that character's head. So no anime for that reason, for me.

Trying to pull off a Horus Heresy live action is way to daunting and the expenses would be monumental. So no live action, even if it would be awesome.

Now CG, though expensive, I think would give the gritty ambiance of war and allow for massive shots of thousands of Smurfs dominating each other (and all the poor Imperial Army that were attached them) in all the gory glory there can be. With CG you could also show the naval battles in orbit to come crashing down onto planet side. I mean Resident Evil Degeneration pulled off doing a rated R flick pretty well. (granted the 40k people would look completely different and not as "anime-ish.") So if the cost (which would be epic) could some how be covered I think this would be the best option.

Also, tell the 14 year olds to sneak out and go see it in secret. If the movie is as bloody and dark as the actual Heresy was, their going to hate the movie anyways. I think the only way to make a well done 40k flick is with blood added in with all the violence. In a PG-13 movie, when some one hits another person across the chest with a chain sword what is going to come out? It would look terrible. Get shot by a bolter (a mini rocket basically) and you'll keel over as if you were hit in a spaghetti western. (insert fake scream and topple from the top of a IG cantina) So, in my opinion, no PG-13.

This is way to long... I'm going to go look for a job :eyebrows:

MarshalFaust
16-09-2009, 17:13
i hope no one took my comments as bashing Japanese anime or its fans, while ill admit i'm not a fan of the animation style personally i have nothing against it and discussing its merits as an art form is for another time. i just think that thematically the anime style does not work with the 40k universe as it has been developed by GW.

crimslain
16-09-2009, 17:46
Ive been thinking the same thing for a few years now. It would truly be awesome if they made a trilogy of the Horus Heresy. Although I think the ONLY format that would or even could do it justice would have to be made like the movie "300". If it was done to that level, I dont think any movie ever produced could top it...........

S_A_T_S
16-09-2009, 18:15
When I read the anime comment, I actually felt my stomach turn. Every aspect of 40k is based on Northen European culture, particularly the gothic aesthetic, and the idea of making it "Japanese-y" is just wrong on every level. I don't like anime in general, but it can be amazing when done properly with the right material (Akira, obviously). This simple isn't it.

A TV series like Rome would probably be the best route, and personally, I think you'd need someone like del Toro or Zack Snyder (Watchmen script may not have been as good as the original, but the direction of it and 300 was very dark and very close to the original work), as any production would need a dark and disturbing feel.

The thing is... the reason GW can be successful and profitable is because of their intellectual property (IP): they guard it very carefully. Just look at what they did to Cyanide Studio and the Chaos League games. Can you imagine a 40k film? They'd have to share rights with the film company, there'd be advertising everywhere, the film company would want to milk any success, there'd be pressure to produce merchandise. The film company, having a share in rights, would be entitled to make some lovely space marine lunch boxes, ring binders, stationary, curtains, pillow cases, even *gasp* a spin off saturday morning cartoon - Marneus Calgar & The Ultramarines! Anyone else starting to wretch? All of this would devalue the brand and reduce profit, and they're on the border line most of the time.

There have already been 2 40k films - one short, based on Space Hulk and only shown at Gamesday about 14-16 years ago, and other a fan film from Germany that GW had shut down due to copyright issues and IP. It has never, and can never, be shown.

Eldoriath
16-09-2009, 20:30
On the whole "make it anime" subject I want to say a few things:
First off, anime can actually be very bloody, dark and quite grim (Elfen lied and Akira for example). I enjoy much anime and think it's great, but I don't think it would be the suitable artform for warhammer 40k.

There are many animes that play out in european society with european characters and a realistic plot without the silly laughs and giggles. But in the end, it's anime. It can't help to leave a mark on the art it produces which for me is wrong for the warhammer 40k universe, atmosphere and feeling. I would be glad if they made a anime about warhammer 40k (better then nothing), but I would probably still think another artform would have been better even if the anime would rock.

Templar_Victorious
16-09-2009, 23:58
Stallone HAS to be Sly Marbo, or I will never watch it!

Hellebore
17-09-2009, 00:18
Considering few of you actually know what anime is, I find it a little silly passing judgement on what it can and can't do.

Batman the Animated Series for example, is an anime. Yet is proclaimed one of the greatest 'western' pieces of animation ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEx9r5enZsk

Saying that shows like Dragonball Z and Ramna 1/2 are anime is like saying that Michael Bay is Hollywood.

Hellebore

canucklhead
17-09-2009, 00:25
Considering few of you actually know what anime is, I find it a little silly passing judgement on what it can and can't do.

Batman the Animated Series for example, is an anime. Yet is proclaimed one of the greatest 'western' pieces of animation ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEx9r5enZsk

Saying that shows like Dragonball Z and Ramna 1/2 are anime is like saying that Michael Bay is Hollywood.

Hellebore

QFT. The Grandiose style and epic near still life scenes common to some of the best that anime has to offer is almost purpose built for something as truly epic as 40k.

Hellebore
17-09-2009, 00:27
On the other hand, I agree that the BESM style of anime and the Michael Bay 'style' of Hollywood film are completely unsuited to 40k.

Luckily both media have more than those to represent them.

Hellebore

lord_zyplon
17-09-2009, 01:19
(no they are not Tau guns. Tau themselves were cribbed from the original Starship Troopers japanese anime)

And Space Marines themselves were heavily based upon the Terran Mobile Infantry, from the Starship Troopers book, which was the basis for everything "starship troopers" :)

A better idea for a movie/series would be the ascension and fall of Gorge Vandire. You've got two main characters, and a nice, long, twisting plot. The plot even has plenty of space for creativity on the director's side.

Condottiere
17-09-2009, 09:43
I happen to like Ranma, though I feel that everyone concerned stretched it beyond it's optimal length.

Anime can both be low-key or over the top, and quite capable of depicting frenzied Commissars or Ecclesiarchs. The characters tend to muse philosophcally on the universe and their place in it, perhaps not a trait found in most denizens of the 40K setting.

On the other hand, anime has absolutely no problem depicting the creatures and horrors of Chaos, especially if they be tentacled.

AndrewGPaul
17-09-2009, 11:17
You probably wouldn't need as much exposition as poeple think, to do a Heresy movie. Don't bother with aliens, except as possibly the villains/cannon fodder in the opening scene. The story's not about them, so don't bother with them, except for background flavour. You don't need to sit the audience down and say "these guys in armour, are bigger, faster, better than the ones without armour next to them." Make your opening scene start with an Imperial Army asault faltering against overwhelming enemy fire. Then, pan up, to drop pods, Thunderhawks, Stormbirds etc, and then the Marines advancing past the Army troops. They're clearly more powerful - they're bigger, have better guns, and the enemy fire patters off them like rain. The Army troops eagerly follow the Marines' orders without question. Follow the Marine leader, turns out in the next scene he's Loken, or whoever you want. There you go - Marines are better than the Army and clearly in charge. The specifics of being genetically enhanced aren't really that important, but you can chuck in a couple of expository shots and lines of dialogue if you must.

I'm not convinced by the thought of a 40K anime, but that's down to the visual look of the style, not any issues with the storytelling. Live-action w/CGI, or pure CGI would be my choice, but the latter had better be good - no Final Fantasy fiasco here, please. Perhaps we could get Neill Blomkamp, Weta and Zoic to do the effects?

Condottiere
17-09-2009, 11:54
Or you plan to do two trilogies, start with the second trilogy with the Horus Heresy going full guns, possibly a Rebel Battlebarge chasing an Imperial Escort vessel bringing the news to the Emperor, with a desert planet in the backdrop.

The introduction presented as a series of fading paragraph accompanied by powerful orchestral music.

MasterPuppets
17-09-2009, 12:34
You couldn't do the Horus Heresy on the big screen, at least not to start with. It's too epic, bigger than Lord Of The Rings.

I'd start with Gaunt's Ghosts. Necropolis would make an awesome film.

In my mind I always thought the best GW WH40K movie to make for wider audiences would be the first three books of the Gaunts Ghosts series aka The Founding.
Of course it would be linear so here goes;

Sweeping shot of the Imperial army storming the lines of Chaos on Balhaut, LOTR type intro-as in Galadriel setting the scene and such over the Last Alliance battle- Voice over of say Major Rawne (if only R Fiennes played Amon Goth yesterday) describing the terrible universe in which humanity inhabits where (forget orks, tyranids, tau) man faces a war against their own debased nature blah blah blah blah blah, more panoramic views of a continental battle between Slaydo's Imperial Army and the forces of Chaos, fade to black as Slaydo is struck down and a regimental banner is placed upon a pile of rubble, bunker, man standing on leman russ, whatever.

Credits roll, and open the movie with a view of a Northern European forest stretching out into the distance-this is a chopper shot-as the camera moves over the canopy panning up to a great bastion of Imperial might rising out of the green sea of what ever type of forest they have in Finland during the summer and then bang side view of a close up of Gaunt staring out of his shuttle, and then the voice over of Rawne speaks again and says "This is the story of how my world came to end, and how I became a Ghost."

Three movies thankyou very much, much akin to the lighting and image if Pan's Labyrinth had a child with Underworld and then that child had a relationship with Dark city. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSpowoKqSzc (Dark city trailer)
That would make money no doubt about it, and the Director would be Danny Boyle based on his work, Sunshine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG55VR55C4M