PDA

View Full Version : would you accept

warlordgrubnatz
21-12-2005, 22:06
I am plnnin an army soon. It will be imperial guard and conssit of Preatorian squads as elites and catachan sqauds as conscripts and regulars (fluff will back this up) they will have close order drill and my question is would it be aceptable to use square bases and movement trays?

useless
21-12-2005, 22:08
i doubt it, this wouldent be allowed so i would just stick with the round, circle bases

TK421
21-12-2005, 22:10
I'd have no problem with it at all, it'd look pretty cool.

I don't think you'd be able to take it to an official tournament though. They're pretty hardcore when it comes to base size if I remember correctly.

Grimtuff
21-12-2005, 22:28
I'd have no problem with it at all, it'd look pretty cool.

I don't think you'd be able to take it to an official tournament though. They're pretty hardcore when it comes to base size if I remember correctly.

dunno why, it would make then (even moreso) susceptible to Blast weapons

Puffin Magician
21-12-2005, 22:43
I wouldn't object to it, but you could also use normal, circle, 40k bases since IIRC they're the same width as the square ones. They'd fit into movement trays just as well [unless they have little raised grids or something] and would be more widely accepted. They'd just be more fiddly when putting them in and taking them out of the tray.

Using square bases would be easier but you might get some silly, dismissive looks from a few people for doing it.

And yeah, any kind of Large Blast template will eat them squad at a time.

Icarus
21-12-2005, 23:00
Go for it, they're still in coherency being so close, and there's no reason not to use movement trays.

Inquisitor Maul
21-12-2005, 23:04
I'd hate meeting an Armoured Company with that amry :eek:

Gen_eV
21-12-2005, 23:40
well, IIRC, you're always allowed to use a larger base, but not a smaller one.

So put them on 25mm Square bases, as these are approximately 20% larger than 25mm round bases. 20mm square bases, on the other hand, are about 20% smaller than 25mm round bases. (by area)

You could also then use cavalry bases for HW troopers.

Thousandth Son
22-12-2005, 00:16
That would be fine by me, as well as most of my local gaming club I would think. But it is one of those things that I would still let your opponent know what is going on before hand, so there is no cries of cheating, or such. (unlikely, but it happens :rolleyes: )

Chaos and Evil
22-12-2005, 01:14
Yeah, if you put them on 25mm square bases, not only would it look cool to have them all ranked up in COD, but it would be tournament legal too.

Zark the Damned
22-12-2005, 13:07
One thing I've seen which seemed to be a good idea is to base them on round bases as normal, and build a 'frame' which the base slots into to convert it to a square base. This lets you use the square bases against sensible gamers, and the round ones vs Tourney freaks. (on a similar note, you could just not glue the minis to the bases - use a couple of pins in their feet and plug them into the appropriate base)

I would have no trouble with you using square bases for the minis. Heck, I do it for some of my Demons (mainly cause I bought em ages ago and they didn't have round bases with em :) )

Helicon_One
22-12-2005, 17:38
People do realise that squads with Close Order Drill don't have to spend the whole game wandering around in base to base contact, right? Spread out 2" as normal, and then form up when you think you're about to see combat.

I wouldn't have a problem with somebody fielding a 40K army on square bases or movement trays, but I wouldn't really recommend it either.

Tim