21-12-2005, 22:36
New Sneak Peak for Gdub

http://us.games-workshop.com/news/sneakpeek/40K/Image1.jpg

Amon Ra
21-12-2005, 22:44
very nice indeed

burni
21-12-2005, 22:45
Nice find. With all the fuss over the FW extravaganza, I forgot to check for new sneak peaks!

Guess today is 'Friday' this week? :eyebrows:

As for the model - looks pretty much identical (although I don't have a FW one to be check).

Zabuza
21-12-2005, 22:48
More photoshop goodness from GW.

I like it.

Inquisitor Maul
21-12-2005, 22:52
And once again a Tau sneek peek involves something exploding (just like the Drones and the Battlesuits new box art) ;)

Eldoriath
21-12-2005, 22:53
The photoshoping on this photo isn't that bad really, you can still see the model clearly after all.

But have anyone also noticed that GW seem to have a tau stuff exploding in the background in all pictures lately? Just to the left, a bit lower, we can clearly see a pirahna smoking/exploding. Have anyone some reasonable explanation why this seem to be the cover art tau theme: Tau units blowing up in the background.

burni
21-12-2005, 22:55
And once again a Tau sneek peek involves something exploding (just like the Drones and the Battlesuits new box art) ;)

New box art?! Where?? :eek:

Is this something you can share with the class? :p

burni
21-12-2005, 22:57
The photoshoping on this photo isn't that bad really, you can still see the model clearly after all.

But have anyone also noticed that GW seem to have a tau stuff exploding in the background in all pictures lately? Just to the left, a bit lower, we can clearly see a pirahna smoking/exploding. Have anyone some reasonable explanation why this seem to be the cover art tau theme: Tau units blowing up in the background.

It's GW way of saying: the new Tau stuff is here - looks great but it blows up - look! You better make sure you buy some extra...

Killgore
21-12-2005, 23:05
I think it looks very nice

Inquisitor Engel
21-12-2005, 23:12
It looks just like the FW one, which is what it should have... Great that it's plastic, but seriously, not overwhelmingly new and awesome. ;)

Nazerth
21-12-2005, 23:18
Cool, I can finally afford a couple Piranhas now! Looks almost exactly like the FW one... which is good, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with FW's design.

Though, with the exploding stuff in the photoshops, I gotta wonder what's gonna happen for the Ork stuff once it gets out and PS'd. Tau stuff only explodes when you shoot at it, Ork stuff tends to blow up on it's own at times...

geoffkemp
21-12-2005, 23:22
Yeah If I`m notr mistake it is pretty much exactly like the FW one

Inquisitor Engel
21-12-2005, 23:50
Yeah If I`m notr mistake it is pretty much exactly like the FW one

The word you're looking for is "Identical." ;)

Thanks to the laser-scoping technology, the FW one could simply be scanned and split up into peices more conductive to plastic (sheets rather than blocks) in the computer and done.

No sculpting, no proto-typing, nothing, quick, painless and easy. :)

Inquisitor Maul
21-12-2005, 23:59
Damn GW, all this fancy technology will not make it cheeper for us :p

Nazerth
22-12-2005, 00:05
It better damn well be cheaper! I'm not shelling out $60 Canadian for one of these in plastic...

On that note, anyone have a ballpark figure for what the Piranha will be costing us?

NakedFisherman
22-12-2005, 00:26
It better damn well be cheaper! I'm not shelling out $60 Canadian for one of these in plastic...

On that note, anyone have a ballpark figure for what the Piranha will be costing us?

Same price as a Vyper.

brother_fandango
22-12-2005, 01:44
as for the photo shop on orks, prolly just a big ball of fire... for everything in the armys sneek peeks.

New Cult King
22-12-2005, 02:15
Very nice. Stupid Tau making me want another army *grumble*

DireStrike
22-12-2005, 04:22
I'm cool with the photoshop effects as long as marine stuff is exploding in all their new artwork. :rolleyes:

Agamemnon2
22-12-2005, 06:01
And now for something completely the same... I must say I was expecting the plastic version to be a little different thanks to the difference in materials, but it seems GW outdid itself this time. It's one of the nicer FW models, and now it's also one of the nicer GW plastics. Kudos.

Sephiroth
22-12-2005, 06:03
I'm cool with the photoshop effects as long as marine stuff is exploding in all their new artwork. :rolleyes:

I doubt it. Would be bad for the new players education, if they wander the store shelves and see Space Marines being killed. ;) :rolleyes:

cspo
22-12-2005, 06:21
IMHO, I think the piranha's pretty lame.

one fusion blaster on a vehicle that size? don't landspeeders get a multimelta? and an assault cannon?

has anyone played the piranha, and is it really that good? I would have much preferred tetras.. but then again I think they're even lamer. There´s no way that thing would fly, it has no stability whatsoever. And two firewarriors for crew, plus two drones? I though AI was supposed to help you out, not slow you down. I mean.. how many firewarriors does it take to fire a fusion blaster? so maybe there's one guy driving. But I'm sure a little high-tech could count for the guy multitasking.

At that size, it should at least be a TL weapon, even if it is BS4.

sad really. I have and play tau and think they rock. But those new flyers. sheesh.

I'd prefer plastic heavy gun drones. no. sfzt. (end rant)

Triceron
22-12-2005, 06:48
It's got practically the same weaponry as a devilfish for a much cheaper price, and the burst cannon is swappable with a fusion if you want! That's pretty decent if you ask me.

Norminator
22-12-2005, 08:07
And, CSPO, you're forgetting that it can take seeker missiles (IIRC). Also, as Triceron said, it is a cheaper version of the devilfish - which IMO is quite a nifty tank in itself. Finally, IIRC it has better armour than the Landspeeder.

Dvalin
22-12-2005, 08:22
Better and yet not. The Landspeeder is universal 10 AV and not open-topped; the Piranha has armor a twitch higher on the front, but is open-topped. All said, this makes the Piranha a bit more likely to bite it from weaponsfire -- and considering its somewhat less impressive loadout, well.. but I suppose most Tau stuff is softer than Space Marine gear, so that's par for the course.

Dreachon
22-12-2005, 08:39
I still like it.
Gonna get a sqaudron of these for sure.

geoffkemp
22-12-2005, 08:57

That`s the word :)

Wonder what else we might see in the future :rolleyes:

Norminator
22-12-2005, 09:01
An Identical skyray perhaps?

Brother Muninn
22-12-2005, 09:18
Man, I can just imagine the Ork Photoshops now

Boyz: One guy charging, and another accidentally mowing down the rest of the squad

Stikk Bommerz & Storm Boyz: No visual required, just numerous explosions....

Trukk: One big fireball. Ork bits flying willy-nilly .

fsssh
22-12-2005, 09:52
very nice looking kit, had it been redesigned it would have had to be awesome to beat the FW one anyway - i'll take 10

i'm beginning to imagine a whole tau army that starts the game gently hovering (before getting blown to bits of course)

The Judge
22-12-2005, 10:02
Very pretty indeed, but again I must say that it ain't the most ueful piece of tech for the Tau - how many points are they? Fifty-something isn't it? IMHO that's a bit much for a burst cannon and two drones - remember the seekers add more points.

The White Dwarf comments that they're useful for "capturing objectives." Sweet.

Imbroglio
22-12-2005, 10:16
Surely Forge World themselves aren't gonna be very happy? If this is truly identical, they're very rarely ever going to sell their Pirahna again! Previously the Design Studio have done the same model, but designed it differently, so that there was a choice between the awesome, expensive FW, or great (usually), but affordable, GW one.

-- Imbroglio

dethray
22-12-2005, 10:29
Surely Forge World themselves aren't gonna be very happy? If this is truly identical, they're very rarely ever going to sell their Pirahna again! Previously the Design Studio have done the same model, but designed it differently, so that there was a choice between the awesome, expensive FW, or great (usually), but affordable, GW one.

-- Imbroglio

Well someone has already mentioned that the FW Piranha and Skyray are being removed from their online shop.

IMHO I find the unit a hard sell, with only burst cannons/fusion blasters as its main armament we are looking at a fragile, short ranged fast attack craft to cover the Tau's general lack of real speed. Obviously outclassed by the longer ranged Vyper and SM Land Speeder I hope the Piranha has slightly tougher armour or a lower points cost to compensate.

t-tauri
22-12-2005, 10:31

-- Imbroglio
Forgeworld are pulling their versions it seems. See the Forgeworld Tau (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/TAU_VEHICLES.html)page. Skyray unavailable and the piranha is low stock.

dneff23
22-12-2005, 10:33
Yeah..but for 50 points I would use one. I also play Orks, so paper thin armor is no problem to me:)

Mos
22-12-2005, 10:36
They've probably struck a deal to 'buy' the design rights from their own imprint branch of the company. Remember it's all GW, anyway.

As for the usefulness of the Piranha, I can see it being useful. Squadron of 5, you say? Able to benefit as a squad from the effects of Markerlights, you say? 5 S8 shots hitting on 2s and getting 2D6 each within short range, you say? (yes I know this would be a bit on the expensive side, but still). TBH, I think with it's mobility the Piranha will be best used tying up your opponent's HS, it may not inspire the fear in you like a Railhead but it's gun is still capable of taking down all tanks (with luck), so it's going to make you think twice about what to shoot, it'll probably help extend the lives of the heavier tau vehicles on the table. If its AV11 on the front and keeps moving 12" a turn, it's still going to be a nuisance to shoot down. I think it'll do fine.

t-tauri
22-12-2005, 10:45
They've probably struck a deal to 'buy' the design rights from their own imprint branch of the company. Remember it's all GW, anyway.

It's the same company. They don't pay for their own IP. The only payment above the laser scanning will be if they needed to pay the FW designer a little extra depending on the terms of his contract when they used it for a plastic model. Though if it's done as "work for hire" they probably didn't even have to pay for that.

boogle
22-12-2005, 11:48
the fact they are fast vehicles goes in their favour in terms of capturing the objective, however the Squadron Rules can go against them in some cases

Mars
22-12-2005, 12:11
I thought they also came with Markerlights? Because a unit that can move 24" per turn, or 12" and fire a markerlight would be excellent for fast-moving markerlight support. Every other Markerlight user in the army has to stand still a turn in order to shoot, which is a problem when you have to redeploy (which you often have to do to get LoS).

Rlyehable
22-12-2005, 12:17
It's got practically the same weaponry as a devilfish for a much cheaper price, and the burst cannon is swappable with a fusion if you want!

...You're forgetting that it can take seeker missiles (IIRC). ...It is a cheaper version of the devilfish... Finally, IIRC it has better armour than the Landspeeder.

Better and yet not. The Landspeeder is universal 10 AV and not open-topped; the Piranha has armor a twitch higher on the front, but is open-topped. All said, this makes the Piranha a bit more likely to bite it from weaponsfire -- and considering its somewhat less impressive loadout, well...

Why, oh why, did they make it open topped? So the two firewarriors could jump out any direction?!? And, yes, one gun (BC or FG) plus a pair of drones is not that impressive. Is it even a Fast skimmer? (the rules from FW have been taken down with the new IArmor book). If it is a fast skimmer, it should have a cost around the price of a Stealthsuit.

Blackadder
22-12-2005, 12:53

Thanks to the laser-scoping technology, the FW one could simply be scanned and split up into peices more conductive to plastic (sheets rather than blocks) in the computer and done.

No sculpting, no proto-typing, nothing, quick, painless and easy. :)

So let's make a wish list of vehicle to be scaned:
- Baneblade
- etc.

Cyberjankie
22-12-2005, 13:52
My wish list:
-everything (not just vehicles) FW ever made, scaned and in Plastic ;)

TheShadow3s
22-12-2005, 14:45
Flyers yes please :D
god that looks vyper cool
( I'm getting that tingley feeling inside that tells me this is going to rock )
sure I'm getting some of those

Prodigalson
22-12-2005, 15:02
To answer a question, yea it's a fast skimmer.

The problem I have is that it is a little cheaper then the devilfish, but has less armor, and no transport ability.

Also, it has to fight for space in a list. With such excellent Fast Attack options as Pathfinders (cheapest Markerlights), Gun Drones (Solid Deepstriking throw away unit) and the new Stingwings (we'll see....) it will be a hard sell.

On the other hand, it is a way to potentially threaten indirect weapons, and do the Fast Vehicle trick and move into board quarters at the end of the game.

Why, oh why, couldn't they give it the ability to have a serious gun, like Side Smart Missiles, or Missile Pods. Why give it a range 18 or 12 gun... sigh.

Although, I guess if you get 5 of them and use 2 markerlights you could have 15 burst cannon shots and 10 pulse carbines.... or 25 total shots. But I could get 24 fire warriors for less points with 24 range 30 shots or 48 range 12 shots, although static I guess.

We'll see, perhaps there is a place for them. I just wish that they were a bit more obviously useful. It seems they keep making units that have these short ranged guns on them (stingwings/Paranha/new limited wargear options) or making the long range guns a heavy only option that fights for space with the Hammerheads/Broadsides.

Captain Marius
22-12-2005, 15:26
I rather like the photoshop jobs on the Tau sneak peeks. It looks like they're actually in a battle, rather than just posing like the Marines.

The model itself is pretty cool, I think a couple of them would make a good addition to my army. It's nice that the Tau are at the point where you have a real choice about what you want to field in each slot.

Deja Dude
22-12-2005, 17:25
Oh baby! Not being too familiar with the Tau, I wasn't sure what all this talk of Piranha's was about and didn't have any inclination to check out the forge world one. This sneak peak is the first time I've seen such a thing and I love it, there's definitely some X-wing/snowspeeder style mixed in there. So, how much, how much?

Red 5.. I'm goin' in! nnneeeooowwww!

scramasax
22-12-2005, 17:26
I am not sure that what we see on the sneak peek is not an old photo from a forgeworld model. The color scheme is a desert color scheme use in IA3.

The fusion blaster version plug a hole in the tau army. There is a maximum of S8 low AP weapon that a tau army can take because you cannot have them in your troops and before there was no one in the fast attack slot either. subjective composition score are normally better if you don't take 3 hammerhead and replace one with some Pirahna. This is also the only fast unit we have.

Leeman Russ
22-12-2005, 17:54
I am not sure that what we see on the sneak peek is not an old photo from a forgeworld model. The color scheme is a desert color scheme use in IA3.

There are subtle differences between them- the Piranha pictured has a flat air vent just behind the main engine intake, whilst the Forgeworld Piranha has a recessed vent. There are also smaller, more subtle differences which can be made out on the panelling.

Hoshi No Koe
22-12-2005, 19:30
I was just looking at the rules in the Taros book. Ruleswise it's going to be, as people not so obviously easy to use. Equipped with an FB and targetting array, they're going to be slightly cheaper than a DF. Add to that 2 seekers, and they're more expensive than a DF.

So it doesn't look very viable at a quick glance as a unit of three comes in at more than 200pts.
However, they could potentially fill a usefull nich in the Tau list.
The cons as I see them:
-Expensive in relation to the firepower they put out.
-Fragile, slightly better armour than a SM landspeeder but open-topped.

The pros:
-fastest unit in the list
-A reliable way to hunt, indirect fire vehicles early on
-Instant drone squadron that can be detached deep in enemy lines by turn 2
-The ability to carry seekers, which can be targetted at the rear and side armour of vehicles even when they've moved 24"

Those are what I can think of what now. It does look like they've got some unique abilities in the Tau list.
Consider a squadron of three. It's going to be pricey, but it also means spots for 6 seeker missiles. If used well in conjunction with markerlights, you can get behind enemy tanks pretty easily with a 24" move and unload up to 6 seekers at rear and side armours, not to mention these seekers can be launched at several different units, provided you've got enough Markerlights. In my book, that makes them the best seeker platform for crippling pre-emptive strikes as you're other tanks are unlikely to be fast enough to get in so deep in enemy lines as quickly.

Another huge pro, is the 6 strong drone squadron you can lay down close to enemy lines on turn two. 6 drones won't rack up an amazing kill count, but can have tremendous disruptive effects for your opponent. They can force target priority tests for their long range fire support units, take pot shots at rear armour or be in a good place to pin a crucial enemy unit with decent ML support and they can charge devastator type units and tie them up fairly well for a couple of turns.

Last advantage I see them having over Vypers and SM landspeeders comes from their armour value of 11 on their front facing. While they are open-topped AV 11 does mean they are immune to bolter fire. This can go a long way at extending their survivability. Because of their mediocre armament fit, they will seem like a low priority target after they've unloaded their seekers and drones. In turn, opponents will be reluctant to pour a whole squads fire to take them out as only the special and heavy weapons will be making a dent, while their bolters could've reaped FW or Kroot. So they'll force them to take target priortiy tests and to dedicate anti medium tank fire to take care of them which might've been better spent on approaching DF's for example.

In short, I think the unit definitely has nice potential but will need a sizeable points invvestment to make it more than a minor anoyance.

Dvalin
22-12-2005, 19:36
The Pirahna is a fast skimmer, yes. I think the key advantage here is that AV11 is proof to most small arms, making bolters useless against the front armor and so requiring some sort of heavy weapon to engage instead of massing infantry fire. The open-topped aspect, well -- presumably this was done to prevent the issue of yet another too-tough skimmer, or else a landspeeder clone.

As it stands, I think Mos identified the use of this. The unit isn't a main battle tank; it's not supposed to be in the thick of things. Instead, do an end run with it, or use it to jet in quick to the enemy's side of the board to threaten big nasty vees with melta death -- either the enemy is compelled to engage it, or the enemy will be forced to deal with other threats closer to your deployment zone. This'll gives the Tau an effective anti-tank option that doesn't rely on either deep striking or those precious, precious heavy slot choices that Tau are always maxing out -- and at the same time may well draw fire from those precious heavies.

TheShadow3s
22-12-2005, 20:03
It's just a flank units to kill light infantry and light tanks and get the hell out and stike again 1 turn later

FRS
22-12-2005, 20:56
They look very nice.

Brother Muninn
22-12-2005, 21:20
I'm content with the model and the function, I mean... it could be worse, they could've opted for the Tetra.

What is that thing? a fast skimming markerlight w/ T/L carbines?

Norminator
22-12-2005, 21:21
But it can (IIRC) use the scout rule.

Lafeel Abriel
22-12-2005, 22:33
I'm content with the model and the function, I mean... it could be worse, they could've opted for the Tetra.

Twin linked pulse rifles, actually.

Looks very nice if you ask me, and I will be getting a one..or three, as soon as they are out, adds a interesting variety to the Tau army if you ask me.

CommanderAstelan
22-12-2005, 22:33
It's GW way of saying: the new Tau stuff is here - looks great but it blows up - look! You better make sure you buy some extra...

no what it actually shows is that the tau technology is weak and breaks easier than imperial stuff.

Tom
22-12-2005, 22:54
no what it actually shows is that the tau technology is weak and breaks easier than imperial stuff.
I'd say it shows more that they can't print people being shot and turned to piles of gore on their covers. Whilst most Imperial stuff is big, it'll take up the majority of the space on a page. Tau use non-living things (drones) and things which will go up to an extent that you won't be able to see the burning creatures in it.

I think there are a few fireballs in the Landspeeder box art, I'd have to take a closer look.

Suffice to say, don't expect anything getting shot on the cover of a humanoid infantry box.

Venkh
22-12-2005, 23:45
If you check out the scout box you will clearly see a squad member shootin his bolt gun into a comrades head.

I like the model but i would love to see one converted with the crews hands in the air, rollercoaster style.

I am looking forward to the new Mobile Tau lists that will be coming out after the codex release, something to pit my mobile eldar against for certain.

Rgds

Jahxius
23-12-2005, 02:26
LOL I am going to seriously give that conversion a try!!! I can see it now the two path finders with their hands in the air yelling TAU"VA

TheShadow3s
23-12-2005, 09:55
Hope we can make altenate list ( mechanized YES PLEASE )
I certainley love the units , don't love vespid untill I've seen the real rules :P

xerxeshavelock
23-12-2005, 10:07

Sounds great - move 12" Markerlights! Must paint mine up.

aglim
23-12-2005, 12:48
So the only weapons it can take are Fusion Blasters (as said, LS can take Multi-Meltas) and Burst Cannons (every Imperial Guard tank has a longer-ranged and more APed Heavy Bolter)? If they could take Missile Pods and Plasma Rifles, I'd like them more. If I wanted Burst Cannons, I'd just take a Devilfish, and the Piranha will get shot up before getting in Fusion Blaster range.

Pfreck
23-12-2005, 13:16
Very cool,
and again a Tau vehicle exploded :p

ferrus
23-12-2005, 13:31
You know all this forgeworld copying makes me wonder if the Eldar are going to get a plastic Night Spinner

Zabuza
23-12-2005, 16:33
as for the photo shop on orks, prolly just a big ball of fire... for everything in the armys sneek peeks.

Hahahahahahaha.....sigged.

Venerable Dred
23-12-2005, 16:46
If I wanted Burst Cannons, I'd just take a Devilfish, and the
Piranha will get shot up before getting in Fusion Blaster range.

What about giving the Piranha a pair of Seeker Missiles, zooming them 24" behind enemy lines and then using Markerlights from other parts of your army to light up enemy vehicles. The Seekers will then most likely be hitting their target's Rear armour (or side at worst). Since the Seeker's line of attack is based on were it is launched from and not who "marked" the target, and Seekers can be always be launched regardless of how far the transporting vehicle moved.

Also the Fusion Blasters can be used for Nid MC hunting.

Venerable Dred

Norminator
23-12-2005, 17:01
That's the thing about Piranhas - they are flanking units. They can turbo boost to pretty much make their open topness negligible, then fire into side or even back armour.

metalulvelf
28-12-2005, 15:41
looks nice. but nothing special. nice use of drones though!
Dont know why two tau are in it, as it is considered to be a high tech army.
F16s are single, just like any other fats fighter, unless of course it is a ground attack aircraft.

And concerning the exploding taus on the background. It might be they didnt want to give away pics of other crafts for other armies.

erion
28-12-2005, 16:20
That's the thing about Piranhas - they are flanking units. They can turbo boost to pretty much make their open topness negligible, then fire into side or even back armour.

Turbo Boost doesn't apply to vehicles. Sure the Piranha can move 24" to make all hits glancing, but that is not the same as the Turbo Boosters USR.

Neither can they move 24" and still fire. If they could, why would anyone field less than a full squadron of them?

Norminator
28-12-2005, 16:23
I didn't say that they could still fire, I meant that they would be *safer* from enemy attacks. Anyway, with 24", you wouldn't be behind enemy lines.

Venerable Dred
28-12-2005, 16:24
Neither can they move 24" and still fire. If they could, why would anyone field less than a full squadron of them?

While they may not be able to fire their Burst Cannon (or Fusion Blaster) or Gun Drones, any Seeker Missiles that they carry can still be launched as they can be fired regardless of how far the transporting vehicle moved.

Venerable Dred

t-tauri
28-12-2005, 16:51
While they may not be able to fire their Burst Cannon (or Fusion Blaster) or Gun Drones, any Seeker Missiles that they carry can still be launched as they can be fired regardless of how far the transporting vehicle moved.

An interesting point here: Anyone know if there are going to be plastic seeker missiles incorporated in with the piranha?

Norminator
28-12-2005, 17:36
I can't see why not; I'd imagine most people (me included) have a problem with having enough seeker missiles. What would interest me was if they had a tank accessory sprue for all tau vehicles (instead of just the devilfish/hammerhead/skyray).

Judging by the amount of seekers on the skyray there might even be a 'seeker sprue'.

Shadowseer
29-12-2005, 01:53
Since it is open topped, can the passenger fire a pulse rifle from his spot? The drones can fire themselves, the pilot can shoot the fusion blaster, so I don't see why he can't fire a potshot from the shotgun position. Well, the pulse rifle position.

boogle
29-12-2005, 01:56
no they can't as they aren't armed with Pulse Carbines

Oliver Twist
29-12-2005, 03:32
Now while I realize that it may be slightly irresponsible of me to do so, I havent read all of this thread but my question is:

Has anyone with any reasonable history of accuracy confirmed or denied that the Pirhanas are fast skimming vehicles or that they are indeed bikes with out an armor value? Any answer to this would resolve alot of other questions regarding the Pirhana that have been posed.

Thanks

t-tauri
29-12-2005, 04:23
Now while I realize that it may be slightly irresponsible of me to do so, Yup. ;)

Has anyone with any reasonable history of accuracy confirmed or denied that the Pirhanas are fast skimming vehicles or that they are indeed bikes with out an armor value? Any answer to this would resolve alot of other questions regarding the Pirhana that have been posed.

Unless the rules have changed from Imperial Armour 3 (which is very unlikely) they're fast skimmers with an armour value and not bikes.

Oliver Twist
29-12-2005, 05:06
Thank you T-Tauri, those rules pose some interesting tactical situations for which having bike rules would be...preferable.

Edit: Grammar

Hoshi No Koe
29-12-2005, 14:57
I don't know, I think being unaffected by most small arms fire on your front facing is pretty good. The speed can allow to take a position where you won't take much if any firepower your way, and you can rain a pretty impressive seeker rain from a flank or rear position on turn 1 or 2.
I think the Piranha's have a lot of potential.

my_name_is_tudor
29-12-2005, 15:39
wouldn't a single hardpoint/vehicle upgrade of a markerlight be a cool option..

retardednamerequired
30-12-2005, 02:33
what book has rules for pirahnas? one of the forge world books i suppose?

boogle
30-12-2005, 02:42
Imperial Armour 3 The Taros Campaign has rules for them, but the new Tau Codex will have them in too

charlie_c67
31-12-2005, 00:55
Oh Brim? :D I make it five past one in the morning, GMT. Believe you promised us another juicy rumour ;)

Lanfiex
31-12-2005, 02:30
what have we got left? the only thing i think we have left is what are they doing with BSF. unless there is some new wargear we havent heard off

Ubik_Lives
31-12-2005, 04:21
I'm actually hoping for a picture of the ork commandos, but that could just be me.

Orks just don't get any loving anymore.

Norminator
31-12-2005, 08:05
It could be pictures of the new battlesuit sprue (or at least I hope it is).

TheShadow3s
31-12-2005, 09:03
Ohhh battlesuit sprues me like it :p hope it are pictures of that indeed
( or any rules for tau is cool too :P )

Achilles
31-12-2005, 09:41
hahaha u should begin a rumour threat about the rumour that brimstone's rumoured to give us another rumour... lol:D

rkunisch
31-12-2005, 14:00
Oh Brim? :D I make it five past one in the morning, GMT. Believe you promised us another juicy rumour ;)
Ahem, please have a look at this:

As to what else I've been hiding you might want to pop back for new years day ;)

I think you are a day early. :p

Have fun,

Rolf.

TheShadow3s
31-12-2005, 17:05
6 hours too go ahhaahhaah
Will the pirahna btw be able not to use the gun drones but sms like the fish ? cause thats been on my mind for a while .

Ubik_Lives
31-12-2005, 17:12
I think you are a day early. :p

Ah, but I also draw your attention to this part of his post

" Last edited by Brimstone : 31-12-2005 at 17:49."

I wonder, why would that post have been edited on New Year's Eve? Surely it was just a typo he was fixing up, not him changing the rumour release date from New Year's Eve like everyone remembers to New Year's Day.

Still, I'm happy to wait another day to see what he has in store for us.

White Knight
31-12-2005, 19:10
6 hours too go ahhaahhaah
Will the pirahna btw be able not to use the gun drones but sms like the fish ? cause thats been on my mind for a while .

Doubt it - IA3 says nu-uh, and IA3 was written specifically with the forthcoming Codex: Tau Empires in mind - it even says so in the book!

Norminator
31-12-2005, 19:34
Yeah, I'm with White Knight here, piranhas will 99.999999% not have smart missiles. It defeats the point of them, they become to much fire support rather than scouting vehicles.

Toxxys
01-01-2006, 01:59
From the rest of this discussion it seems like the Piranhas will have a good place in many Tau armies (mine included)... there are quite a few pretty nice things you can do.

I like the fact that you're essentially getting a 6-10 sized drone squad with them, I just hope the drones don't join the unit (doubtful, mixing vehicles and infantry?). That alone makes them well worth it (two squads for one FA choice, heck yes). Just think about the possibilities... and if they have marker lights too (is that confirmed?). I think Piranhas are going to be really awesome, I just can't wait. Definitely good to have some nice tank-hunting choices in Fast Attack now (you know, fusion blasters and seeker missiles- which for some reason I fear might be limited to one-per-pirana)

I'm looking at probably two squads and leaving some of the markerlight-duties to fire warrior shas'uis & marker drones to pick up the slack of the no-more pathfinders (although they'll be alot better now with the new marker rules). I started using pathfinders mostly for railrifles (because the markerlight rules have been severely broken IMO). Now with markerlight drones and sniper-drone teams there's less of a need for that, and several sniper-drone teams for one Heavy Slot (a la Tyranid Lictors/Zoanthropes/Biovores) I say "heck yes" to them also.

Three cheers for the new Tau codex being the way it should be... AWESOME!
(Happy New Year too!)

P.S: Just started lurking/reading again. Now that fall semester is over I can divert my attention from classes to more gaming- and who doesn't love MORE gaming?

Lord_xatre
06-01-2006, 09:05
Ha, Check this out : http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/pirahnap3store.jpg

Ubik_Lives
06-01-2006, 09:56
There aren't any markerlights on the Pirhana. I think you're getting confused by people who want the Tetra to be in the Tau Codex as well. Also the Pirhana's gun drones will not form a larger squad, so you'll have lots of small squads of two drones running around. They will have low leadership and won't be able to claim any objectives, but they will be annoying to hunt down.

Norminator
06-01-2006, 17:01
Ha, Check this out : http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/pirahnap3store.jpg

That's the Forgeworld Piranha.

Hoshi No Koe
06-01-2006, 17:10
The rules in IA 3 specifically state that the drones dropped from the Piranhas form one unit.
Still, even if that is changed with the new dex so the drones only form loose units of 2 I think it's even better. I get great use about those units of 2 drones that come off the DF's. They might not be scoring units but they can really disrupt your opponent's movements when dumped into an assault path of a CC unit, forcing disruption pods or even occasionaly popping a vehicle's rear armour. Your opponent doesn't like wasting a squad's firepower on them when there's a juicier target but can often be forced to do so to clear an assault move or due to failing a target priority test.

Ubik_Lives
07-01-2006, 04:16
The rules in IA 3 specifically state that the drones dropped from the Piranhas form one unit.

Each Pirhana's drones act seperately, they do not form up into one larger unit.

I think it's quite clear on the matter

Muse
07-01-2006, 14:51
it looks like a ghost from Halo
it'll be rubbish
most tau stuff is

Toxxys
07-01-2006, 17:46
it looks like a ghost from Halo
it'll be rubbish
most tau stuff is

That's quite negative.

They're around 60ish points and fast... each have 2 drones and can upgrade to fusion blasters. Taking 3 of them in a team and then deploying 6 drones in somebody's face by the 2nd turn seems fun... and then going tank (or marine) hunting with them seems fun.

And the only reason current tau stuff is "rubbish" is because a lot of current tau stuff is overpriced points-wise.

Tom
07-01-2006, 23:26
I think that might be the greatest use of the Piranha; drop two-drone units everywhere and absolutely fark everyone's target priority tests...

imrhati
07-01-2006, 23:27
that's a great idea! that goes along with blocking LOS to my fire warriors with a squad of kroot.

peeler
15-01-2006, 17:00
Well, all i gotta say is that fw makes the coolest tau stuff, i just wish that more of it would be converted over to gw or that forgeworld would start using plastic so we could all afford the great models. Im gunna buy one the day it comes out.

sanctusmortis
15-01-2006, 20:51
They're like a more useful land speeder ^_^

rkunisch
15-01-2006, 20:55
They're like a more useful land speeder ^_^
Especially if you remember that the Land Speeder is not in the Tau army list. :p

It is really a wonderful addition to the list - a small versatile craft, not too heavy, not too vulnerable and for a good price (pointswise).

Have fun,

Rolf.

sanctusmortis
15-01-2006, 21:08
What I mean is, a highly manouverable gun platform that dies, fast.

But hey, drones...

The Wraithlord
16-01-2006, 04:25
They may die fast but the Skimmer rules will help them a fair bit in that department. I really like the idea that they are fast vehicles with Markerlights on them that the rest of the army may be able to draw beads from. Hell, with those, I can really see taking a few Seekers as well as I don't currently care for them at all. I will definitely be getting a couple I think.

Toxxys
16-01-2006, 18:19
They don't have markerlights.

winter arrow
26-01-2006, 18:47
They don't have markerlights.

well if they do, using them alongside a skyray would be a prettty nifty idea :)

Wintermute
26-01-2006, 19:38
well if they do, using them alongside a skyray would be a prettty nifty idea :)

No it wouldn't because a Sky Ray has to designate targets using its own markerlights

and

Piranhas don't have marker lights. :(

I thnk this thread has run its course, so I'm closing it.

Wintermute