PDA

View Full Version : [SBG]Dealing with Fellbeasts in low point games

Raverrn
07-05-2009, 06:44
So my local gaming group has just picked up LoTR, we've all got our armies set up and pointed out for an escalation leauge. Being a fun and quirky guy, I opted for a likewise list - from 250 to 1,000 points - All Fellbeasts, all the time. I thought it would be a fun army, perhaps a bit weak, finesse based.

As it turns out, Fellbeasts are nasty. My opponents, Rohan and and Rivendell in particular, are having a lot of trouble stopping the things. I can sympathize, our games seem to be quick and brutal. Even decent amounts of ranged firepower don't seem to do much.

At 250 I run a pair of 'wraiths at 2/8/1, on Fellbeasts. It only gets worse as points go up and I can sub one of those for Kamul or the Shadow Lord.

Is there something we're missing, or am I just going to have to buy some goblins until we reach 500?

jaws900
07-05-2009, 07:44
All it will take it someone like Aragorn or boromir to stop them in there tracks and with only 8 will you will not want to be using much Magic. Also Radagast would destroy your army is seconds as if his panic steed spell works then you can say bye bye Fellbeast. But enought of that i'll list out 5 weakness of your army.

1 - You'll always be out numbered and all it will take is some bad luck to get killed quick.
2 - Will little will (for a nazgul) you'll hate fighting an army with magic users (Gandalf etc)
3 - Fight values of 6 or higher can own then due to plenty of might and a higher fight vaule.
4 - Eagles, Chariots and Mumaks will put you on even turms in combat (More or less)
5 - They suffer from "LAHBTTI" (Look At How Big That Thing Is!)

The Marshel
07-05-2009, 08:08
every turn you fight you lose will, and no will means no wraith. you have just 14 fights to kill enough of the opponents army to send them packin before you lose a warith, and then just one more after that. so if your playing against an army of 17 minis (not to hard at 250) you must constantly kill. if you're only killing one guy per fight you will not have the will to win (no pun intended). Just a bit of advice, always take khumal in this force, regaining will helps alot.

Simply put, sit and shoot againts the all wraith army, get in some difficult terain like a forset or ruins were geting a fell beast in is hard (remember, if the base dont fit he can;t go in. the fell beast may fly, but he needs to land) and fire till they close. then engage feed them one man at a time.

Archery is perfectly capable of causeing four wounds before combat and a fell beast is just defense 6. targeting all bows at one does the job eventualy. and a stray arrow can take out those one fate wraith easilly, i've seen it happen, twice in one game.

It can go all horibly wrong damm quickly and when it does there will be no coming back. th key is ensuring they can;t kill fast enough to beat you

Raverrn
07-05-2009, 14:13
All it will take it someone like Aragorn or boromir to stop them in there tracks and with only 8 will you will not want to be using much Magic. Also Radagast would destroy your army is seconds as if his panic steed spell works then you can say bye bye Fellbeast. But enought of that i'll list out 5 weakness of your army.
I'm not looking forward to seeing Radagast on the field, this is true - but between Sap Will and a reserve of Will points, aren't Wraiths some of the most magic-resistant models in the game? I guess anything that makes 'em burn Will is a good thing, though.

Every turn you fight you lose will, and no will means no wraith. you have just 14 fights to kill enough of the opponents army to send them packin before you lose a warith, and then just one more after that. so if your playing against an army of 17 minis (not to hard at 250) you must constantly kill. if you're only killing one guy per fight you will not have the will to win (no pun intended). Just a bit of advice, always take khumal in this force, regaining will helps alot.
This is true, and there are times I've been down to two or three will per Wraith, but I don't know if numbers are the way to go - it's not uncommon for a Fellbeast to kill two or three models on a charge.

Simply put, sit and shoot against the all wraith army, get in some difficult retain like a forset or ruins were getting a fell beast in is hard (remember, if the base dont fit he can't go in. The fell beast may fly, but he needs to land) and fire till they close. then engage feed them one man at a time.

Archery is perfectly capable of causing four wounds before combat and a fell
beast is just defense 6. targeting all bows at one does the job eventualy. and a stray arrow can take out those one fate wraith easilly, i've seen it happen, twice in one game.

It can go all horibly wrong damn quickly and when it does there will be no coming back. The key is ensuring they can't kill fast enough to beat you.
This looks like a workable plan, though.

jaws900
09-05-2009, 19:05
Khamal is a must if on a fell beast as he can regain almost all his will in one hit meaining that they will really be trying to kill that big bat. As for Radagast he gets 1 free will per tunr and you can't keep resisiting it every time as it's only a matter of time as when it will work and then you left with only 3 will.
Personaly a Nazgul has never ran out of will on me before (Tho today Khamal suisided into Arwen as he had only 1 will left and then Arwen killed him befor ehe could disapear)