PDA

View Full Version : Studio Ghibli Adapts "Earthsea"

White Tiger
22-12-2005, 02:04
Miyazaki's Son Adapts "Earthsea"
Studio Ghibli (Howl's Moving Castle) has officially announced that it's next project will be Gedo Senki ("Gedo War History"), an adaptation of Ursula K. Le Guin's novel "A Wizard of Earthsea," the first book of the award-winning Earthsea cycle which includes "The Tombs of Atuan," "The Farthest Shore" and "Tehanu" reports Coming Soon.

"Wizard of Earthsea" centers on Ged, who was the greatest sorcerer in all Earthsea. He was once called Sparrowhawk, a reckless youth, hungry for power and knowledge, who tampered with long-held secrets and loosed a terrible shadow upon the world. It's the tale of his testing, how he mastered the mighty words of power, tamed an ancient dragon, and crossed death's threshold to restore the balance.

The film is directed by Hayao Miyazaki's son, Goro, and is scheduled for release July, 2006 in Japan.

Ursula K LeGuin was very unhappy with the SciFi Channel version of her first two books. Obviously everyone was unhappy with it because it was a SciFi Channel production, and the only thing they’ve gotten right so far is the new EarthseaBattlestar Galactica. But LeGuin was really upset that the network changed the races of her characters, changing the lead character from a reddish-brown guy to a white kid. Read her rant about it here.

http://www.slate.com/id/2111107/

Now there’s a new chance for it to be done right – Studio Ghibli, the amazing animation studio behind Spirited Away and Howl’s Moving Castle, will be adapting Wizard of Earthsea, the first book in the series, into Gedo Senki – Gedo War History. Ged is the name of the lead character in the series who does all sorts of fantasy novel stuff. Beats me what that actually means.

Hayao Miyazaki’s son Goro will be directing. I imagine that his four arms make him quite the animator.

But will the problems LeGuin had with the SciFi Channel be repeated here? A look at the poster for the July 2006 release indicates that Ged is… a white boy again?

http://www.dicetroll.com/forum/attachments/ged%5Fposter01%2Ejpg

starlight
22-12-2005, 02:15
This means that I'll have to be picking up her books to read. Like that's a bad thing.:D

Anthalas
22-12-2005, 09:08
I've never heard of the books, but if it's anything like Moving Castle and Spirited Away, I'll love it.

hairyman
22-12-2005, 09:42
The books are absolute classics, truly brilliant.. especially the first one. Sounds promising :)

Lord Balor
22-12-2005, 10:01
The books are absolute classics, truly brilliant.. especially the first one. Sounds promising :)

*shudders*

I found that i could never get into Ged's skin as the text was always distant and the plot absurd. Then again i read it for the wrong reasons (my Fantasy Narrative course) and went Jungian on it instead of losing myself in a pleasure read. That aside, when you over analyise something, you develop a deep respect for it as a piece of Literature rather than a fantasy world.

hairyman
22-12-2005, 10:08
Fair enough. I think I loved it so much because I read it at the right age, when I was a little kid. It was one of the links into fantasy & geekery for me.

Fantasy narrative course? You get to study fantasy books?? :cool:

Lord Balor
22-12-2005, 10:22
Fantasy narrative course? You get to study fantasy books?? :cool:

:D

I go to Uni and read the Hobbit, Harry Potter, Earthsea, His Dark Materials, Narnia, Wrinkle in Time, Mrs Frisby and a stack of others. Its a shame that both that and Renaissance History ended this year and i have to find other things to take thier place. If it wasn't for Arts, i would have gone insane with Computer Science. Arts ftw!

Back on Topic, i wasn't aware that there had already been a movie adaption of Earthsea. Is it worth seeking out and getting my hands on it?

ArtificerArmour
22-12-2005, 10:24
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19397

was brought up a few weeks back, but I'm very excited with what animé will bring us in 2006

de Selby
22-12-2005, 10:51
Sounds interesting, so long as they don't take out all the best bits again.

And to those who have never read the Earthsea books, seek out the first three at least. Tehanu struck me as oddly revisionist.

starlight
26-12-2005, 08:55
Just watched the SciFi *Earthsea* on the telly. I've seen it before and must say that is was fairly good. However, I've never read the books, so I *don't* care how close it was, just that it was a fairly good movie in it's own right.

bluetablepainting
26-12-2005, 14:58
I'd be stoked to see Studio Ghibli do Earthsea. I loved reading those books as a kid, and I re-read them a few years back. My favourite one was Tombs of Atuan-- a bit harder read than the others; slower and with careful development of the characters.

My kids love My Neighbor Totoro (by Studio Ghibli), and I find it a calming, pastoral tale perfect for bed time (yes, my bed time, too).

When I heard Sci-fi was going to to Earthsea, I was giddy with anticipation. What a letdown! I didn't even watch it all the way through. The soul of the books was completely lost. It could have been great.

I hope that Ghibli does a better job. Their movies tend to develop a little more carefully, and that will go well with the Earthsea tale.

Shawn G.