PDA

View Full Version : 2k Elf Army

Johnny189
07-05-2009, 16:45
I've planned out this army and I think it looks like it will work well on paper but I would like to hear other opinions on it. This army list isn't just a list of what I will be wanting to use in games, but to give me an idea of what I want to buy next.

High elf regemenmt x5 captin and banner
High elf archer egement x5 captin
Rivindel guard x4
Riders of rohan x9
Warriors of numenour x5
Thranduil
Cirdan
Legolas
Galadriel (the magic one)

My plan for this army would be to put thranduil in my archers for guided arrows and epic shoot, put legolas in me cavalry so I can move near the enemy, shoot, throw wepons, epic shoot then charge. Cirdan would go wherever magic was needed (probobly rivindel guard at first) and galadrial would go with my neumenours to improve their fight and give them magic.

So what do you think of this?

SJBenoist
07-05-2009, 19:20
I think your over by 65 points:

HE Regx5 + Cap + Ban = 360
HE Arcx5 + Cap = 350
Riv Guardx4 = 385
Rid Rohanx9 = 270
War Numenx5 = 125
Thranduil = 125
Cirdan = 75
Legolas = 200
Galadriel = 175

Total = 2065

You only get one Shoot action with a formation. You can not both Shoot and Throw in one phase.

Note: If you want to use the GW figs for the Rivendell Guard, it'll cost about 150$ (120$ with the 20% discount) for 4 companies of the regular units (not counting Erestor or the Banner Bearer). I hope they get released in plastic ... I'm needing some myself.

Johnny189
07-05-2009, 20:16
I don't think I'm over 2k points, the Rivindel guard only cost 320. 125+65+65+65=320

I didn't realise you couldn't shoot and throw weapons, but rohan are still pretty good.

I (and I expect a lot of people who use high elves) are also hoping for the release of plastic spearmen, I'd also like to see what other units they bring out.

Nu Fenix
07-05-2009, 21:50
You are only paying for three companies at that price. The 125 points does not include the initial command company, only the cost of making them Rivendell Guard.

Please see the following link for an explanation - http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193833

Johnny189
10-05-2009, 08:40
OK, I've change my army a bit now asfter finding out about rivindel guard. I don't see the point in them anymore as you are paying 125 points for a banner and basicly a captain with one more might. I would much prefer to put a captain and a banner in a cohort, have 1 less might and have another 35 points to spend.

Anyway, here is my new army-

Elf Regiment x4 Captain 270
Elg Cohort x4 240
Elf Archers x4 Captain 290
Riders of Rohan x9 270
Legolas x1 200
Thranduil x1 125
Elrond x1 215
Galadriel, Lady of Lothlorien x1 175
Ent x1 125
Numenor Warriors x3 Hornblower 90

Dragon Prince of Caledor
11-05-2009, 01:34
Numenor and Rohan did not exist in the same time period :( The rest makes sense. I like it. Although I am pretty sure Legolas didnt exist at this point "in time" either.
Good luck

Jorgen_CAB
11-05-2009, 06:59
Well, men of Numenor could represent ordinary Men of any place in the west. Riders of Rohan could similarity represent any riders of men in the west as well. Just name them properly and give them some believable back story and most theme buffs should be happy (me included). It's quite easy to do the same with Epic Heroes that does not fit the theme properly. Legolas could as well be replaced with an important Sindar noble of its time etc...

The biggest problem that I see with this army is the number of tactical element. You have five formation and one Monster, this is too few in a 2000p army. You are very likely to be out maneuvered by you enemy. If you charge forward with such a large cavalry force on it's own it is very likely to get flanked or rear charged. I would divide the cavalry into two formations of four and five, the cavalry also need banners.
I probably also would split my archer in two and move the captain into the Cohort. That would give you some extra tactical units to work with.

Johnny189
11-05-2009, 17:53
I wasn't having a banner in my rohan because I was planning for Legolas to go in there so their courage would be fine. As for the amount of men I have what would you suggest for a different army.

Jorgen_CAB
11-05-2009, 18:10
I wasn't having a banner in my rohan because I was planning for Legolas to go in there so their courage would be fine. As for the amount of men I have what would you suggest for a different army.

Well, the banner are way more important to succeed with charges. The banner does not do anything for their courage. They get to re-roll the panic roll on the panic table, that in itself does not have anything to do with actually passing a courage roll. Sure, they will have a greater chance to avoid rolling a "1" or to roll a "6" but that's all.

I don't think that you need to change your army that much, but your elven units should be smaller and more of them. This will give you more tactical units to move around so you can position them for flank attacks and/or shoot with your bows at the enemy flanks and thereby negate shield bonuses etc... In my opinion you seem to have a little too much spent on Epic Heroes, so you should remove one of the more expensive ones, which would be up to you.

Johnny189
11-05-2009, 18:22
What heroes should I remove to replace with more elves?

Also, on a slioghtly different topic, what it the point in rivindel guard? You pay 125 points for someone who is a captain with +1 might, and a banner. So I'm paying 40 points for 1 more might but if I have cohorts with a captain the captain has 3 might anyway. So what is the advantage of rivindel gurd over cohorts?

Jorgen_CAB
11-05-2009, 18:33
Well, in my opinion the Rivendel guard is overpriced. First of all you pay 125p for Erestor and a Banner and the ability for the formation to be Stalwart. In addition to this you pay five points extra for each company as well. I really think that there is a missprint in there somehow. The Cohort captain are most certainly missprinted and should be two might, there are no other captains in the entire book that has three might. I also think that the Rivendel company cost is missprinted as well and should be 60p.
But all in all I would never use the Rivendell Guard and pay 40p extra for them being stalwart and then an additional +5 point per company.

I would remove Galadriel, she is the one that fits you theme the least. Perhaps add in some Wood Elves as the troops that Thranduil brings with him. I probably would replace some High Elf companies with Wood Elves.

Johnny189
11-05-2009, 21:28
But Galadriel is the only person I have other than elrond who has magic.

Jorgen_CAB
12-05-2009, 05:20
It's your call, I just say that you have too much point spent on Epic Heroes and too little troops. In my experience troops are worth more than Heroes in WotR. Heroes are support to your troops and you need to use them that way. I would also say that magic is not allways that important in the game. I usually get by without any magic at all and no counter spell what so ever.

As far as I know you still have two magic casting characters, Thranduil and Elrond.

Nu Fenix
12-05-2009, 11:28
I would drop Elrond over Legolas.

Elves are solid at fighting already, so the benefits brought from Galadriel, such as Councellor on Legolas are very handy.