PDA

View Full Version : Blood Dragons - a rather radical idea

Monsterzonk
07-05-2009, 21:27
I've been thinking of doing a Blood Dragons themed army for quite some time now. I think this concept has been pretty much lost with the current more magic-heavy Vampire armies. There were only a few lists I found that really captured what I find essential about the Blood Dragons (the one by Time of Madness for example).

So here's my take on them:

THE ARMY OF BLOOD KEEP

Lord Tybalt de Capulet - 355
Vampire Count with Frost Blade, Dread Knight, Infinite Hatred

Sir Beaumont d’Avedui - 175
Vampire with Tomb Blade, Flayed Hauberk, Battle Standard Bearer

The Blood Keep Guard - 212
24 Skeleton Warriors with hand weapon, light armour, shield, champion, musician, standard bearer
***BSB here***

The Blood Keep Guard - 220
25 Skeleton Warriors with hand weapon, light armour, shield, champion, musician, standard bearer

The Scavengers - 104
12 Crypt Ghouls with Ghast

The Corpse Gorgers - 104
12 Crypt Ghouls with Ghast

The Hunting Dogs - 40
5 Dire Wolves

The Dread Hounds - 40
5 Dire Wolves

The Blood Wolves - 40
5 Dire Wolves

The Order of the Blood Dragon - 395
6 Blood Knights with, lance, sword, barded Nightmare, heavy armour, shield, musician, standard bearer, Royal Standard of Strigos

The Order of the Blood Dragon - 315
5 Blood Knights with, lance, sword, barded Nightmare, heavy armour, shield, musician, standard bearer, Hellfire Banner
***Lord here***

TOTAL 2000

I know this is rather unusual and probably pretty risky, but then I'm not too fussed about battlefield performance. The only thing that really worries me right now is the amount of cash it's gonna take to field all those Blood Knights...

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

bob_the_small
07-05-2009, 21:43
100 for 10 models!!!! YAAAH! It hurts my brain, but for a themed army that is great!

riotknight
07-05-2009, 21:56
I spent 50 to make mine out of Chaos Knights and Cold One Knights.

The List looks solid, i might suggest not bothering with a hero level vamp in a BK unit, they're not adding much to the unit that it can't get with another 55pt model then 10 points for Flaming banner.

bob_the_small
07-05-2009, 22:08
yeh for a conversion you could attempt to convert 2 boxes of chaos knights using skelly bits.....

Kiwi_tolpuddle
08-05-2009, 00:24
Any chance of some pics of those Chaos & Cold Conversions riotknight

W0lf
08-05-2009, 00:55
lose the hero vampire.

Buy another bloodknight + flaming banner the bannerless unit.

Put lord with the flaming banner unit and run 6 w/strigois alone. (lord has hatred)

gives you 45 pts to play with. Id suggest gettin another 5 wolves

riotknight
08-05-2009, 02:15
Any chance of some pics of those Chaos & Cold Conversions riotknight

Currently at a friends display case, I'll see what i can arrange soon though, I basically took the Cold One Riders and put them on the Chaos Horses, substituting shields, heads and the banner with GRaveGuard bits. PM me, it'll remind me to get the pictures for you.

Shas'o Tekomador
08-05-2009, 05:34
Looks like a good vamp list that I would enjoy playing.

Monsterzonk
08-05-2009, 06:59
Thanks for the input, guys! Edited the list according to your suggestions. Now I got 72 points to play with. Any ideas? W0lf suggested more Dire Wolves, so maybe I'll get another 5 of these. That still leaves me with 32 points. Bump the Wolves units to 6 each?

Cheers,

spacewolf_sven
08-05-2009, 07:29
"Lord Tybalt de Capulet"
where did you get that from??
Hmmmmm...

changer of fate
08-05-2009, 08:35
"Lord Tybalt de Capulet"
where did you get that from??
Hmmmmm...

Romeo and Juliet

Monsterzonk
08-05-2009, 10:55
You got me... :angel: ;)

Classical Mushroom
08-05-2009, 15:57
Looks like a fun list :) only thing i would say is give your lord the extra magic level so you have 5DD.

If your worried about spending about 111 on 11 models then buy the empire knights. Then you can use a bit of green stuff to create flames around the feet and eyes of the mounts. :cool:

shredshredxx
08-05-2009, 21:58
i love this list.

it's awesome to see a deviation from the million PD invocation spam ******** VC list everybody seems to be running these days,

while still remaining plenty competitive.

and don't say it's not,

nobody in their right mind, no matter how much magic or shooting or daemoniness they have, wants to have to deal with 2 units of blood knights.

have you checked out gamezone miniatures??

their mournful knights are infinitely superior to GW's bloodknights, and they're a fraction of the price to boot.

Monsterzonk
09-05-2009, 10:34
Thanks for all the feedback! :)

I've edited the list again, adding a third unit of 5 Dire Wolves and increasing the Ghoul units to 12 each, leaving me at 2000 points exactly.

I've podered long about Classical Mushroom's suggestion of adding another magic level to the lord. While I admit another Dispel Dice might be handy, I really don't see a Blood Dragon being a scholar of Necromancy. He's a warrior, not a mage. ;)

This list is still open to suggestions and alterations!

Cheers,

PS: I've checked the Gamezone Knights, thanks for the suggestion! They're awesome! Unfortunately I play at my local GW most of the time, so I won't be able to use them...