PDA

View Full Version : Information about the Iron Hands land-battleships

Puffin Magician
06-05-2005, 00:20
Hello,

Writing fluff for my Chapter, which has is heavily influenced by the Adeptus Mechanicus, I thought about the huge vehicles used by the Iron Hands Chapter and thought of making one for my own Marines. I did some quick googling and couldn't find anything relevant, perhaps I was using improper terminology ["Iron Hands" super heavy command tank, etc]. Anyways, what I ask of you is do you know any information or even speculation about the purpose, armaments, size and other relevent data about these colossal vehicles [which should be the size of a Capitol Imperialis, I believe]? It would be invaluable to the background for my army.

Replies with "there's a detailed bit in Whateverbook" will not be helpful, because I'm not about to jump to the nearest shop and buy a book just for some ideas for a tank I may never actually build.

Thanks in advance for useful responses.

Marsekay
06-05-2005, 00:35
Surely they are bigger than capitol imperialis's? i thought they would be at least thrice the size.

I mean i think there should be training areas. equipment areas. praying areas. hospital areas. launchpads for thunderhawks etc. canteens or whatever they have for eating in.etc etc etc. it should be the same size as a fortress monestary or maybe a fortress monastery split into 3 or 4, on tracks.

inquisitorautry
06-05-2005, 02:25
They are talked about (with little actual detail) in "Iron Hands." From what I can glean, they are relative in size to a small fortress monestary (they only have to hold 1 clan company, not an entire chapter). However, they still would be much bigger than a capitol imperialis as they have to house the entire clan company, not just act as a transport. There have to be dormitories for 100+ marines, training areas, a motor pool for a company's vehicles, docking bays for Thunderhawks, etc. All that space would add up pretty quickly and you'd have a very large vehicle.

Barbarossa
06-05-2005, 12:11
Remember that in addition to 100 marines it has to house the servitors and the human staff of the company as well. This land ship wouldn't fit on a battlefield - but it could be built AS a battlefield.

Puffin Magician
06-05-2005, 13:24
Well pants, I figured it was closer to a mobile outpost [read: not insanely huge] rather than the entire Company and everything it needs rolling around on tracks. That's a bit too big even for my projects.

Barbarossa
06-05-2005, 23:26
Then what stops you from building a mobile outpost? If your chapter's base is moving, then it's watchtowers need to move, too. :-)

Puffin Magician
07-05-2005, 01:35
That's true, and since it's not the Iron Hands themselves, I could just write some smaller vehicles into my army's fluff. Manned by 30-50 Marines, partolling areas of various planets [my Chapter defends a Forge World, so they won't be going very far anyway], being about the size of a Leviathan [~16" long]... I'm still unsure if they should be mobile weapons-testing platforms or simply big transports with plenty of defensive/stand-off weaponry.

inquisitorautry
07-05-2005, 04:12
... I'm still unsure if they should be mobile weapons-testing platforms or simply big transports with plenty of defensive/stand-off weaponry.

Depends on how close your chapter is to the Ad Mech. The closer the ties, the more likely they are to get the nice, new, rare toys to use.

Puffin Magician
07-05-2005, 13:26
They're very close to the Adeptus Mechanicus; they're Iron Hands successors, and they help test new STC weapons/vehicles alongside a Cadre of Mentor Legion Marines that are also stationed on the Forge World. Lots of bionics and proxied wargear [Powerfists modeled as Servo Arms, etc].

It might be a mix of superheavy transport with a relatively minor exotic weapon [nothing close to the power of Ordinatii]. I'm a bit dry on ideas right now, so I'd also like to discuss what sort of wacky weapons they could be testing. Nothing too similar to the Sonic Disruptor, Armageddon Cannon or Golgotha's Hellfire Missiles, but just as weird.