PDA

View Full Version : Metal Models

Tir'Shinarel
08-05-2009, 01:55
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, but I couldn't find a suitable forum.

Recently I began to do metal models for my SM army and I'm confused on assembly & painting.

Assembly: Do I use the GW glue? Is there a certain type to buy? Or will epoxy do just as well?

Painting: Do I primer him? Does the same paint I use on plastic models work on metal models? Thanks! :)

Mannimarco
08-05-2009, 01:58
use loctite, GW glue aint that good

yeah any matt black spray will do, try humbrol

Bloodknight
08-05-2009, 02:00
Epoxy is good, as well as any cyanoacrylate superglue (which is what GW sell...it's plain old superglue that you can get either cheaper or in better quality elsewhere).

Painting: Always use primer. The paint comes off quicker on models that were not primed (primered?). You can get away with not using primer on plastic models (not advisable, though), but this will be the bane of your paintjob on metal minis which for some reason rub off more easily than plastic.

The paints used are the same.

yeah any matt black spray will do, try humbrol

I'd go for real primer, because not every paint is primer. Depending on what you use, you could make painting the mini harder...

Templar Ben
08-05-2009, 04:08
There is a modeling section near the bottom.

You can use super glue but I have even used JB Weld in a pinch. I often use automotive primer as I like the color.

Lord Humongous
08-05-2009, 04:32
Pinning the parts is a really good idea with metal models, as they tend not to fit quite as well and take more strain from handling. I use a simple pin vice to drill metal; the drilling is slow, but very accurate and after some practice I never break my bits. Mostly its arms that join at the hand or shoulder that need this treatment, but its a good idea for any part, unless there's a LARGE area for glue. Heads don't typically need it either.

MadHatter
08-05-2009, 04:41
You should wash your metal model before priming with warm soapy water. It will help remove the film.