PDA

View Full Version : Khorne Daemon Army - want to be competative

Ereinion
08-05-2009, 08:25
This is my khorne list to hopefully use in tournaments and aim to be competative.
I want to stick with the theme of mono khorne.

Blood Thirster
Axe of Khorne
Firestorm Blade
Armour of Khorne 515pts

Herald Of Khorne BSB - Banner of Unholy Victory
Firestorm Blade, Armour of Khorne, Juggernought 265pts

Herald Of Khorne
Firestorm Blade, Armour of Khorne, Juggernought 190pts

16 x Bloodletters, Full Command, Skull Totem 247pts

8 x Furies 96pts

4 x Bloodcrushers, Full Command 330pts

5 x Flesh Hounds 175pts
5 x Flesh Hounds 175pts

Total - 2240 pts

The furies are the only thing not themed but plan to convert them to look khornate and dont as there undivided i thought it wasn't to bad.

Please comment and add changes if any.
I havnt played with khorne daemons yet either, so any tactics i should definitily know about would be greatful.

Nuada
08-05-2009, 08:40
I have an opponent who takes a similar list to this.

I'm surprized you haven't got skulltaker though.

Some things to consider;
Try this set up with your Bloodthirster (Obsidian Armour, Firestorm Blade, Immortal Fury). It costs 35 more points, but means no characters can use magic weapons against your Bloodthirster in CC.

I don't think you need as many furies, i'm guessing they'll mostly go for war machines

You also need to take another core choice. I'd take 3 units of 15 bloodletters.(furies don't count towards your min. core choices)

Are you putting both those heralds in your bloodcrusher unit? I ask because they are both on juggernauts. If so, that unit will cost 785. I recommend having only the BSB in the bloodcrusher unit (it does mean you won't get your rerolls to hit though), then skulltaker in a bloodletter unit and scrap the other herald (saves you 40 points)

I'd be tempted to reduce your bloodcrusher unit, and not take a musician as well

Here's what i'd take;

Bloodthirster, Obsidian Armour, Firestorm Blade, Immortal Fury...550
Skulltaker ...150
Herald Khorne BSB, Juggernaut, Armour Khorne, Banner of Unholy Victory ...240

14 Bloodletters, full command, Skull Totem... 223 (skulltaker here)
15 Bloodletters, full command ...210
15 Bloodletters, full command ...210
5 Furies ...60

5 Fleshhounds ...175
5 Fleshhounds ...175

3 Bloodcrushers, std, champ (herald here) ... 250

That's 2243, leaves you 7

It's not bad. If you get any woods for terrain, make sure you deploy the bloodletters with skull totem nearest. They can't be march blocked then. Any other march blocking attempts, charge them with furies (as long as they are weak). Then you've got 4 fairly fast hard hitting units (BT, two FHs, BCrushers)

PS. If you're going to buy bloodletters i'd recommend using those long regiment bases. They don't fit next to each other very easily once in a unit

changer of fate
08-05-2009, 09:30
i don't know much about daemons but all my friends tell me that if u stick to one god, u would be struggling most of the time as units of a single patron all does the same thing the only difference is how well they do it

Ereinion
08-05-2009, 13:50
Thanks for replys so far.

@ Nuada - Bloodcrushers down to 3 in unit is something i have already decided since writing this, but neither of the heralds had originally been going in this unit.

Both heralds altough on Juggers were going in Bloodletters units, thats why they were 16 strong, adding the herald on crusher would make them blocks of 20 in size.

Is this a good idea from your experiance.?

Yes, i really liked the idea of the Skulltaker, he is worth taking then.?

Are 5 furies really going to do alot, i was thinking 8 originally but put in 10 because of spare points.!

Also, on your re-wrtien list only one squad of bloodletters has been given skull totem, why would you not have it on all squads.?

Really picking your brain.!!! :D

@changer of fate, i also have heard this and can see that from looking at the book but i really enjoy the theme side of it and want to try and make one competative because all other daemon armies ive seen dont do that and alot of the armies then become similar.

An attempt to be different and hopefully it will work.!

Nuada
08-05-2009, 14:54
Both heralds altough on Juggers were going in Bloodletters units, thats why they were 16 strong, adding the herald on crusher would make them blocks of 20 in size.

Yes, i really liked the idea of the Skulltaker, he is worth taking then.?

Also, on your re-wrtien list only one squad of bloodletters has been given skull totem, why would you not have it on all squads.?

Yeah that's a good idea with the heralds in bloodletter units, really helps with the rerolls to hit.

Regarding skulltaker, i don't play daemons, but i've had about 10 games against them (a khorne list) and i hate skulltaker. So he must be good :D

The reason i had fewer furies and not as many skull totems is because you need to have at least 3 units of bloodletters as a minimum requirement. You only have two core units in your list :)

Question; why do you want so many furies in a unit? You won't be effective flank charging with them because they are a flying unit, and it would be overkill against a war machine. If you drop them could you somehow get another unit of fleshhounds?.... probably too expensive

I personally don't think you can afford to have so many heralds with big units of bloodletters all carrying skull totems. Let's assume you don't take skulltaker, you take two big units of 20, and a smaller unit of 15 bloodletters. Here's the cost;

Bloodthirster, Obsidian Armour, Firestorm Blade, Immortal Fury ...550
Herald Of Khorne, Firestorm Blade, Armour of Khorne, Juggernaut ... 190
Herald Khorne BSB, Juggernaut, Armour Khorne, Banner of Unholy Victory ...240

16 Bloodletters, full command, Skull Totem... 247
16 Bloodletters, full command, Skull Totem ...247
15 Bloodletters, full command, Skull Totem ...235
5 Furies ...60
5 Fleshhounds .. 175
5 Fleshhounds .. 175

..... so far that's 2119 (131 left)
Not enough for bloodcrushers (70 each, or 90 each if upgraded to std or champ)

IMO I think you're better taking three units of 15 bloodletters, losing one rank. If you include the herald juggernaut you could take 11 bloodletters (still 15 because of the 40mm base included) This would save 96 points

Nuada
08-05-2009, 16:02
Those bloodcrushers only have a 4+ armour save (and the daemon ward), I think two more units of fleshhounds is better

How's this? This pure khorne. You've got 5 fast hard hitting units

Bloodthirster, Obsidian Armour, Firestorm Blade, Immortal Fury...550
Skulltaker ...150
Herald Khorne BSB, Juggernaut, Armour Khorne, Banner Unholy Victory..240

11 Bloodletters, full command ... 162 (herald on juggernaut here)
14 Bloodletters, full command ... 198 (skulltaker here)
15 Bloodletters, full command ... 210

5 Fleshhounds ...175
5 Fleshhounds ...175
5 Fleshhounds ...175
5 Fleshhounds ...175

That leaves 40 points, a skull totem if you want, or boost up those bloodletter units maybe?

Do you need to take musicians for bloodletter units?

CapitanMee
16-05-2009, 05:22
This is my khorne list to hopefully use in tournaments and aim to be competative.
I want to stick with the theme of mono khorne.

Blood Thirster
Axe of Khorne
Firestorm Blade
Armour of Khorne 515pts

Herald Of Khorne BSB - Banner of Unholy Victory
Firestorm Blade, Armour of Khorne, Juggernought 265pts

Herald Of Khorne
Firestorm Blade, Armour of Khorne, Juggernought 190pts

8 x Furies 96pts

4 x Bloodcrushers, Full Command 330pts

5 x Flesh Hounds 175pts
5 x Flesh Hounds 175pts

Total - 2240 pts

The furies are the only thing not themed but plan to convert them to look khornate and dont as there undivided i thought it wasn't to bad.

Please comment and add changes if any.
I havnt played with khorne daemons yet either, so any tactics i should definitily know about would be greatful.

Hey, I don't know if this has already been said but you seem to only have 2 core, because if i remember right furries don't count to the min. core required. other then that it is very similar to the list I run.

Jind_Singh
17-05-2009, 10:11
If your going for a 'billy no mates' list that is just out to crush people then its:

Thirster
3 heralds on juggers with firestorm blade, armour
3 units of bloodletters (at this point they can be 11 strong as you wont need the full 20 effect)
as many hounds as money buys!
throw in some furies too and your good to go! furies work best in 2 groups of 6

at deployment throw them down 1st, max 1" apart as a screen. then deploy army behind them - any bowfire is at a -2 in 1st round.
Swoop them to take out either warmachines, lone characters, weak units.
charge the bloodletters up, throw the hounds down both flanks with the thirster.
dont bother with the unholy vicotry - waste of points.
trust me - with khorne you'll get enough combat res!
Swap it for the standard of sundering so your enemy is at -2 to cast spells, even though you have magic resistance for the entire army it's not enough against a magic heavy army so the bannor REALLY helps.
The only problem is that it's a mean list - ESPECIALLY if you throw in skulltaker - he's a price ******!!!
You might end up not enjoying playing with the list after a few games as theres no real challenge to it, it just runs/flys forwards and smashes the crap out of the enemy!
By no means a total kick ass list though, it can be beaten by decent generals but you'll find that the below-par players will just end up leaving you to play by yourself.
It does look nice though - i've now got over 3000pts of khorne and looking to get more - its an addiction i tell you!

Ereinion
22-05-2009, 13:52
Hey,
thanks for the reply's.
I have not been able to reply for a little while.

Yes, i didnt realise i only had 2 core in the list, thanks for pointing that out.!!
I forgot the rule with furies not counting whilst writing.

I will have a proper look through comments and reply again later.

Ereinion
02-06-2009, 08:30
ok, heres a re-write, with some thinking and taking some advice.

Bloodthirster of Khorne - 550 Pts
Immortal Fury
Obsidian Armour
Firestorm Blade

Herald of Khorne (Battle Standard Bearer) - 265 Pts
Juggernaut of Khorne
Great Standard of Sundering
Armour of Khorne
Firestorm Blade

Skulltaker - 200 Pts
Juggernaut of Khorne

11 x Bloodletters
Full Command and Skull Totem - 187

11 x Bloodletters
Full Command and Skull Totem - 187

15 x Bloodletters (naked) - 180

5 x Flesh Hounds - 175

5 x Flesh Hounds - 175

6 x Furies - 72

Total at 1991pts.

Im feeling better about this list, not 100% sure of how thirster is tooled up yet, hes more expensive this way and thinking obsidian armour could be better on BSB.

What do you guys think.

Jind_Singh
02-06-2009, 09:39
MMmm after my last 2 games (Since I last spoke to you) I'm revising something VERY important.....

"DON'T TAKE THE FIRESTORM BLADE ON THE THIRSTER!!!"

Holy smokes Batman - I played High Elves followed by Dwarves and both times I got steamed!
Why? They put characters with armour/runes that makes them immune to fire attacks and bogged down my Thrister! He just waves his hands at the characters making meow noises and praying to Khorne that he rolls 4 or less on his leadership to avoid soiling his pants!!!
Also the obsid. Armour is good but I've notice that not too many people take magic weapons anyway, and even if they do only 4 models in their whole army has anything worth taking. You might as well go with normal armour of Khorne at a mere 15pts.
The points you save also allow you to either get a collar of Khorne for him or some other trinket.
You can also drop in another unit of furies and have 2 very useful AND CHEAP flying units of annoyingness!

Ereinion
02-06-2009, 13:30
Hey.

I still havnt managed to play with mine yet, due to the campaign im joining which is building/painting etc each month has only just started this week.

Im trying to pre plan as we do 500pts each month for 4 months, so getting this list almost sorted is required asap, today preferably.

Its wierd you say that about Thirster, as i didnt have obsidian armour on him before, but 2 friends said it was better, but i didnt agree but went with it.!!!! stupid decision i see.

I wanted another unit of furies, so that could be a way.

Ihave also changed a little bit aswel, check this list below, ignoring the changes i just mentioned above as this was doen earlier.

Blood Thirster of Khorne 450pts
Firestorm Blade & Whip 25pts
Obsidian Armour 50pts
Immortal Fury 25pts 550pts

Skulltaker
Hell Blade
Cloak of Skulls 150pts
Chariot of Khorne 150pts 300pts

Khorne Herald Battle Standard Bearer
Locus of Khorne 125pts
Hell Blade, Firestorm Blade & Armour of Khorne 40pts
Great Standard of Sundering 50pts
Juggernought of Khorne 50pts 265pts

11 x Bloodletters
Hell Blades 132pts
Full Command Skull Totem 187pts

12 x Bloodletters 144pts

12 x Bloodletters 144pts
5 x Furies 60pts
5 x Flesh Hounds of Khorne 175pts

Ereinion
02-06-2009, 13:33
Hey.

I still havnt managed to play with mine yet, due to the campaign im joining which is building/painting etc each month has only just started this week.

Im trying to pre plan as we do 500pts each month for 4 months, so getting this list almost sorted is required asap, today preferably.

Its wierd you say that about Thirster, as i didnt have obsidian armour on him before, but 2 friends said it was better, but i didnt agree but went with it.!!!! stupid decision i see.

I wanted another unit of furies, so that could be a way.

Ihave also changed a little bit aswel, check this list below, ignoring the changes i just mentioned above as this was doen earlier.

Blood Thirster of Khorne
Firestorm Blade
Obsidian Armour
Immortal Fury 550pts

Skulltaker
Chariot of Khorne 300pts

Firestorm Blade & Armour of Khorne
Juggernought of Khorne 265pts

11 x Bloodletters
Full Command, Skull Totem 187pts

12 x Bloodletters 144pts
12 x Bloodletters 144pts
5 x Furies 60pts

Total 2000pts exact.

I changed the skulltaker to ride a chariot for a cool conversion i want to do.
But not sure gaming wise if this a good move.?

jax40kplyr1
02-06-2009, 16:29
Okay mono khorne is not a bad list - everyone talks about mono god lists being weak but khorne isn't. Couple points on your above list:

1. Highly recommend the bloodthirster to have at least immortal fury and obsidian armor. Immortal fury for obvious reasons, but the remember what the bloodthirster is best at - hunting down big, nasty characters/mounts/monsters. Two examples specifically, from the newer codexes which make obsidian armor great. VC frostblade and Lizard Blade of Realities, as well as other special attacks/bonuses from other weapons. Both can be instakill weapons on your very expensive BT.
2. Khorne heralds on Juggers should take Armor of Khorne every time - gives you a 0+ save, as well as Firestorm blade. Yes I know High Elves with dragon armor makes them immune to flaming attacks, but with that exception, I've never seen anyone else have that. Yes dwarves have a rune making them immune to fire, but who ever takes that one? The amount of attacks a khorne herald puts out is sick - at Str 7, almost guaranteed to kill just about anything.
3. Bloodletters are great in combat - careful though running them in such small blocks. 6 wide is the best for maximizing attacks - however they are only T3. They can die quickly and then lose out in combat res. A herald on jugger can help alleviate this.
4. In my opinion, Skulltaker on a chariot is a waste of points. You want him to get into combat with big nasties, taking advantage of his killing blow on anything. Throw him on a jugger (once again for that 0+ AS) and have him running around looking for warmachines, heros, big stuff on their own. The impact hits from the chariot won't really do that much more - he's basically nasty enough on his own.
5. If your running 2000 points, you have over half your points in 3 models. At 2000, I would recommend dropping the bloodthirster, adding in 2 more khorne heralds on juggers and increasing the size of your bloodletter blocks.

Ereinion
03-06-2009, 13:20
Hey, cheers for the reply.

I have been changing ideas with skulltaker consantly as cant decide on chariot or jugger.
If i do change to jugger, and he runs by himself what tactics do you suggest.?

If i go with 4 heralds on juggers how would i use them, attached to hounds or running solo.? i was wondering how worth while it is having them with the hounds, as the speed is dropped and then can it possibly change target delection for the unit.

I am yet to play with the army so understanding tactics and how i might use the units is going to finalise my army selection.

I desperatly want to include the thirster because of the cool conversion work i have done on him but do you really think its to much for 2k.?

Jind_Singh
04-06-2009, 06:34
I normally throw 3 with the main core units - that way they count as four models inside the unit - counting for almost a full extra rank (for free!!!).
The unit hates everyone - excellent!
The HoK benifits from look-out-daemon!

jax40kplyr1
04-06-2009, 14:07
If you run Skulltaker on a Jugger, keep him circling or or whatever till he can find a nice juicy target to KB.
I would put the Heralds on Juggers in your core units - if you have left overs - you can run them with hounds. Adds just another punch to your dogs. They don't have frenzy, so you don't have to worry about the re-directing your dogs.
The Bloodthirster in 2k? Thats really a hot topic, as it depends if your more casual play or tournament play. It seems there is a growing trend, especially with the newer codexes having extreme power gaming abilities, for tournament organizers to "tone down" the army lists competing. With that said, Bloodthirsters are a big eye opener for a list screener. I doubt many organizers would allow a BT, Skulltaker and 1 or more Khorne Heralds in a 2k list. Even 4 heralds in a list would probably be disallowed.

Jind_Singh
05-06-2009, 08:23
besides honestly how much fun is a bloodthirster? maybe the 1st few games you'll get a rush from charing forwards, slaying, charging again, and slaying!
he flys so he'll always get out of tight spots, he's awesome in his stats!!
but thats why he'll also make your game boring down the road - and it can be a short road depending on how many games you play.
I typically reserve him for 2500-3000 pt games, and only if I let my opponent know in advance.
Take more bloodletters/hounds/furies/heralds - the army looks amazing on the field, can hold it's own, and will provide you a challenge.
Skulltaker, if taken, only works well on a jugger - extra armour, mobilty, and a 2 attack extra with killing blow - cant be bad!

Ereinion
05-06-2009, 13:25
has anyone used the Skulltaker on a chariot.?
Or even just heralds on chariots.? have a really cool conversion i want to do but will do jugger ones first if there not as good on table.
Jind_Singh i do agree about the Thirster, but at the mo im trying to create a competative list and thats harder being only khorne so thats why im looking towards him.
Hoping to get gaming soon, but trying to find out from others who already play woth khorne armies how they use the army.

Ereinion
03-09-2009, 14:02
Ok, so have been on other projects recently, so not been working on my daemons.
Im back no now and want to get this on the table.

I have writen 2 new lists, to decide between the 2.
Any additional ideas welcome, but this is themed on khorne only.

List 1

Blood Thirster of Khorne
Firestorm Blade & Whip
Obsidian Armour
Immortal Fury 550pts

Skulltaker
Hell Blade
Cloak of Skulls
Juggernought of Khorne 200pts

Hell Blade, Firestorm Blade & Armour of Khorne

10 x Bloodletters 120pts
10 x Bloodletters 120pts
10 x Bloodletters 120pts

3 x Bloodcrushers
Full Command 260pts

Total - 1985pts

List 2

Blood Thirster of Khorne
Firestorm Blade & Whip
Obsidian Armour
Immortal Fury 550pts

Khorne Herald
Juggernought of Khorne 190pts

10 x Bloodletters 120pts
10 x Bloodletters 120pts
10 x Bloodletters 120pts

3 x Bloodcrushers
Full Command
Skull Totem 285pts

Total - 2000pts

fubukii
03-09-2009, 16:35
never take skulltaker on a chariot. Its 150pts for a chariot, but 75 for a herald. if you really want a chariot, have a herald on one its alot cheaper.

Even then juggers are so good only reason id run a chariot is if i made a cool conversion :)

Ereinion
08-09-2009, 08:15
Hey. I will be playing my first game in the next week or 2 once the rest of the army is built, using the list which includes the skulltaker i expect.

Running with the small units of Bloodletters, what jobs can they do for thid list?
Does anyone have experience using them in smalll units?

Can i run the Skulltaker on jugger on his own or will he be targeted and killed to easy?

PeG
08-09-2009, 16:08
depends on what you play against. I would probably shoot something else since he isnt that big threat to my WE. I am not that dependent on my characters and would prefer to shoot at things that die more easily, are faster or have higher number of attacks

Maoriboy007
09-09-2009, 01:36
Hey. I will be playing my first game in the next week or 2 once the rest of the army is built, using the list which includes the skulltaker i expect.

Running with the small units of Bloodletters, what jobs can they do for thid list?
Does anyone have experience using them in smalll units?

Can i run the Skulltaker on jugger on his own or will he be targeted and killed to easy?

bolt throwers cannos and (lucky) catapaults can be dangeroust to him on his own, a very few spells, but not much else.

Torr
10-09-2009, 04:01
I suggest dropping firestorm blade...if you play HE with their dragon armor, what do you do? Especially if their running a star dragon lord, which you cannot touch. You will spend the whole game hiding your characters from the dragon. I'd say have at least one character with non-flaming attacks. Something to consider.

Ereinion
16-09-2009, 14:18
Hey, thanks for the replys.

@ Torr - Your the 3rd person that has sais that to me. Im not sure whether to drop it from the herald or the thirster. but one has to, so as to not get stuck as you say.

@ Maoriboy007 & PeG - yes, i have had this discussion with few people at my gaming club and one who uses the skulltaker and it seems running him with one of the hounds squads is an idea to keep from being buy himself, unless required to leave the unit of course.

Another thing i have been looking at is what role the units of 10 Bloodletters will have.
The unit has some punch, but cant take hits to well as its a small unit.
What jobs does a unit like this aim to do.