PDA

View Full Version : 1500 point gondor army

skarsniktheunclean
08-05-2009, 13:25
Hi all

i bought the book yesturday aswel as abox of rangers.
the idea behind this army is that i want to be able to run rings round my opponent,plus i really like rangers

aragorn
faramir
treebeard

rangers of arnor
3 companies
captain

rangers of arnor
3 companies
captain

rangers of arnor
3 companies

The grey company
5 companies
banner

2 ents

Nu Fenix
08-05-2009, 16:55
Welcome to the game, and I hope you enjoy it.

First of all, your army has too many points spent on allies. Treebeard and two Ents is 475 points, which is 100 points too many for a 1500 point army. As you have Aragorn in your army, I would drop Treebeard, and use the points for more men, which will be advised later.

Second, you will have trouble running rings around your opponent with this army. If you intend to shoot them, then you can only move at half speed and cannot call At the Double. You can call a Heroic Shoot to override this, however by doing so you will run out of Might incredibly quickly, and would be better using it on other things. There are also many formations in the game faster or more manoeuvrable then yours is, so you may want to go into this with a different mindset.

Thirdly, and combined with the above, have you thought about turning one or two of your current Rangers into one of the Legendary formations? Blackroot Vale Archers, Dunedain of Arnor or Rangers of Ithilien can help add to the manoeuvrability of your army by either Ambushing or having Longbows, whilst having 2-4 Might.

Fourthly, your army has no anvil in it, to take the damage whilst the rest of your army kills things. Adding a formation of Warriors of Minas Tirith/Arnor means you can hold objectives and add some staying power to your army.

Finally, you may find the Gondor Tactica wrote by Jorgen worth reading. It goes into detail about the units available to you, and may give you some ideas about things. It can be found here - http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196027

Angelust
09-05-2009, 23:16
Yah. You'd be missing out on one of Gondor's biggest strengths if you forgo their tough as nails troops.

skarsniktheunclean
10-05-2009, 08:16
if it helps ive just bought a 5 strong formation of army of the dead along with the 3 hunters and another formation of rangers (which i might use as grey company) and faramir

skarsniktheunclean
10-05-2009, 15:11
Heres my revised list i think its changed quite dramatically,the whole theme of this army is that most of it will ignore terrain,as i usually fluff everything up in deployment (in any system),so with eveything being able to either ambush or move through terrain it should not be much of an issue.

its supposed to be 1500 points but i cant think what else to put in.

Epic hero
faramir-90

Rangers of arnor
3 companies & captain

Rangers of arnor
3 companies & captain

court of the dead king
command company + 4 companies

riders of the dead
3 companies-180

the three hunters-175

Rangers of ithilien
command company +2 companies

Ent-125

that comes to 1270,and im not sure what else to add,i was thinking the grey company,im also tempted to swap out the ent for radghast.

any ideas?

cheers
matt

Nu Fenix
10-05-2009, 15:29
How much Difficult Terrain do you play with? As terrain such as trees don't slow down your movement since they are Defensible, not Difficult. So you would go full speed through trees. So unless you have lots of swamps, rivers, rocky hills, etc when you play, terrain isn't an inhibiting factor.

Your army is still lacking a formation to take punishment. Your highest Defence is 5, excluding the Ent, and that means most models in combat will kill you on 5's due to Strength 3 being typical in the game. Adding Defence 7 infantry means they are killing on 6's, so you take half as many losses.

As for Radagast versus an Ent, I would say it is down to personal taste. I am a fan of magic, and Radagast has some nice abilities [and is a change from seeing Gandalf!], whereas the Ent can give you some serious punch.

You are also getting the price of your Legendary Formations wrong. You pay for ALL the companies, and then the extra for being a Legendary. So for five companies of Court of the Dead King would be 295 points.
For an explanation why, see here - http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193833

skarsniktheunclean
10-05-2009, 15:40
ahh,i finally understand about the legendary units.....thats a bit confusing (or me being dumb),i didnt really want to use warriors of minas tirith,but unless i shell out a fortune for warriors of arnor i might have to use the warriors of minas tirith.

what would you suggest using????

Ive only played one major game and there was no scenery whatsoever,but i know at my local club they like to use a lot of terrain.

Nu Fenix
10-05-2009, 15:51
If you put an Epic Hero with them, mechanically Warriors of Arnor are better than Minas Tirith. Unfortunately, cost is an issue, as you mentioned. Depending on the people you play with, you could ask if they will let you use WoMT as WoA instead, as few can argue the price difference between the two.

Just remember, as I said with terrain, Defensible Terrain doesn't slow down your movement, only Difficult Terrain. So depending on your club's terrain, Pathfinder may either be amazingly useful, or never happen once.

I play in my local GW, and all the terrain there is trees, buildings and hills, so Pathfinder is wasted for me. Thankfully, I don't play an army which uses it, so I don't mind :)

skarsniktheunclean
10-05-2009, 16:08
Heres another revision

Epic hero
Faramir-90

Rangers of arnor
3 companies & captain 140

Rangers of arnor
3 companies & captain 140

court of the dead king
5 companies-295

Royal guard of arnor
6 companies-295

warriors of arnor
3 companies-75

3 hunters-175

radghast-160

2 avenger bolt throwers-100

thats 1470

hopefully ive got the legendary thing sorted.
thats a very good idea about the WoA,there a few **********,but if they kick up a fuss i just wont play them,but even if i dont get on with the WoA i can always swap then for WoMT.

also im not too sure about the bolt throwers.

cheers
matt

Nu Fenix
10-05-2009, 16:20
How come you aren't sure about the Avengers? Whilst they have the shortest range out of all bolt throwers, they can do the most hits, potentially causing 2D6+16 hits against one enemy formation, which will certainly weaken them. Just be careful with deployment, as they can't move to get a better position or change in LOS.

Since you have 30 points spare, have you thought about adding another company to the WoA? As you can never have enough infantry. Faramir would be a good choice to lead them, as he can boost their Courage, and can support them with duels.

Where do you plan to place Radagast? As he works well both in a combat unit, to grant them longer charges and can call Epic Defence to keep more models aliive, but can also support you Avengers by expending Might to make sure they hit, cause a 6 on the chart, if shooting anything Hard to Kill he can modify the chart result, and restore lost models through Blessing of he Valar.

skarsniktheunclean
10-05-2009, 18:02
I wasnt sure about the placement of Radghast

The problem with the bolt throwers is the price,for 2 of them i'll be able to get another company,have u seen them play,are they any good,if they struggle i might put Radghast with them like you suggested.

Are they worth taking over an ent,the whole reason i wanted an ent was so that i would have a beatstick in the army.

Nu Fenix
10-05-2009, 19:10
Whilst the Avenger is only Strength 6, it gives you the benefit of being able to get alot of hits on the enemy, whilst having the safety of not getting hit back at the same time.

With Ents, you have to be careful of anyone taking Spells of Ruin, as they have spells which increase in Strength against them, making it easier for them to be killed. Yes they are a beatstick, however I think their main tabletop effect is getting the attention of the enemy. They will want to take him out with shooting, otherwise they risk it smashing into their units, cavalry being a prime target if you can charge them first.

If deciding between an Ent and the Avengers, it is down to playing style of shooting versus smashing things.

14-05-2009, 22:32
How much Difficult Terrain do you play with? As terrain such as trees don't slow down your movement since they are Defensible, not Difficult. So you would go full speed through trees. So unless you have lots of swamps, rivers, rocky hills, etc when you play, terrain isn't an inhibiting factor.]

Wait, what? Why can't terrain be both "defensible" and "difficult"? That's the way we play it. Double movement through ANY terrain. Otherwise, as you point out, Pathfinder is pointless.

That's part of the point of terrain, it's a constraint that a tactician needs to deal with.