PDA

View Full Version : Falling Damage

Lothar Hex
08-05-2009, 15:22
Question:

If a charcter is standing up on a 7 yard high platform and he is psychically impelled back 10 yards so that he flies straight back and hits a a tall wharehouse wall and then lands 7 yards down how do you calculate the damage he suffers?

Also, if a character is psychically impelled into another character (lets say 6 yards) how much damage does he and the other character take?

Sorry, I may be missing a very obvious rule but I would appreciate suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

precinctomega
08-05-2009, 15:44
There's no hard and fast answer (although falling damage in D6 +1 per yard fallen, IIRC).

I tend to treat a flying body as an improvised weapon, with a strength bonus based on the Wp of the psyker who impelled it or, for conventionally moving bodies, the Toughness of the flying body itself.

R.

Lothar Hex
08-05-2009, 20:36
Thanks, thats pretty much how I worked it out myself.

Annoying question, but where in the rulebook this it list the falling damage. Cant find it.

Here is another pretty basic question but one that i bothering the gaming group I am in. Please excsue how basic it is.

Lets say a character performs the following two action: He runs (one action) and then he shoots (last action- a basic snap shot).

If another character shoots at that guy who last shoots am I right in saying that he does not count as moving? (because his last action was a shooting action)

I argued with one of the people group that it would be different if he had done a combined running/shooting as his last action, then he would still count as moving. Or am I wrong?

I know this is basic but we want this cleared up by learned gamers

precinctomega
09-05-2009, 10:18
You're correct. The modifiers are on p28 of the LRB and they're all based on the target's last movement. This can be confused with the summary on page 31, but the movement referred to there is the movement of the shooting character, not his target.

Good question about falling damage. I honestly can't find it in the LRB. It's supposed to be on page 46 of the original rulebook, but I gave mine away to a new player.

A character can jump down up to 4 yards (risky action) or take falling damage. Falling damage should be, as mentioned, D6 +1 per yard fallen.

R.

Daredhnu
09-05-2009, 23:12
i have the original rulebook there is nothing on page 46 about falling damage.
and it's also not mentioned in the jumping rules, and i can't find anything relating to getting knocked off things either.

it seems like it didn't get into the book, probably forgotten (i hope).

kaled
10-05-2009, 07:33
Falling damage is in the Additional Rules section (p180 of the rulebook or p42 of LRB part 2).

precinctomega
10-05-2009, 07:55
Whoops on the editing. Funny how I never noticed that before.

R.

Daredhnu
10-05-2009, 11:16
Falling damage is in the Additional Rules section (p180 of the rulebook or p42 of LRB part 2).

cool never really noticed those, weeee time for a new addition to my games :evilgrin:

Lothar Hex
10-05-2009, 17:12
Cheers Kaled. A little tab will have to be put on that one.

Lothar Hex
12-05-2009, 18:42
A further rules question and a very basic one at that:

Lets say I have a speed 6 character who wants to perform two run actions and then a pause for breath action. Does he roll all 6 die together or roll one at a time? If I roll all 6 together and get 1,1,4,4,4,4. Does that mean I get to do all the actions up to and including the PFB and then I know I get one action after to this. Or do I roll all dice seperately, one after another?

I ask this because it occurs to me that you would have to roll all the die if you were performing two risky actions before th pause for breath? Or do I?

I know this is base level stuff but could some kind sage please explain these issues. Maybe its just me, but the rulebook is very ambiguous.

Thanks Guys.

Lothar Hex
12-05-2009, 18:49
Also, if a character is performing more than one risky action in one of his turns, how does this work in terms of 1s and 6's rolled? Lets say i was performing only two actions both risky and I am speed 5. I roll 1,1,1,4,4. Whats happens?

Or better, lets say I roll five 1s. Obviously I always get one action per turn regardless of rolling under 4s. But does that mean that only that first risky action goes awry and the second never happened?

precinctomega
13-05-2009, 08:00
Lets say I have a speed 6 character who wants to perform two run actions and then a pause for breath action. Does he roll all 6 die together or roll one at a time? If I roll all 6 together and get 1,1,4,4,4,4. Does that mean I get to do all the actions up to and including the PFB and then I know I get one action after to this. Or do I roll all dice seperately, one after another?

I ask this because it occurs to me that you would have to roll all the die if you were performing two risky actions before th pause for breath? Or do I?

Well, first of all, one doesn't perform "two run Actions" - one points at a place and declares an intention to run there. Then number of Actions it takes is calculated subsequently.

However, looking past that point, yes, you roll all your Action dice together. The roll described would mean having one Action left to take after the PfB as you note.

Performing more than one risky Action is one of those things a GM needs to arbitrate (although I'm working on ironing that out in INQ2). It's nothing like as controversial as declaring a risky Action after taking a PfB.

Also, if a character is performing more than one risky action in one of his turns, how does this work in terms of 1s and 6's rolled? Lets say i was performing only two actions both risky and I am speed 5. I roll 1,1,1,4,4. Whats happens?

Or better, lets say I roll five 1s. Obviously I always get one action per turn regardless of rolling under 4s. But does that mean that only that first risky action goes awry and the second never happened?

It's the GM's discretion. Generally speaking, rolling three 1s and no 6s would be considered a "disastrous" failure in my circle of players, meaning that not only had both Actions failed, but had failed in a spectacular and cataclysmic fashion.

In the case of the second example, however, yes, only the first Action really goes wrong because you haven't reached the second one. However, as mentioned, five 1s would be considered a spectacular fail and a wise GM should come up with something appropriate on the fly.

R.

Lothar Hex
13-05-2009, 23:59
Our group's solution to pause for breath is this.

You roll all your dice, if one of your actions is a PFB, you have to reroll remaining action rolls after the PFB. So if you are speed 6 and you roll four successful action dice and your second action is a PFB, you have to reroll your two surplus successful action rolls (that way you obviously cannot bank on those two remaining actions).

What do you make of this solution?

Lothar Hex
14-05-2009, 00:08
I am sure this is not a new solution, so I am not claiming it as a majjor breakthrough.

Thats just what we have settled on and I wonder what you guys think of it.

precinctomega
14-05-2009, 10:34
Actually, I've never heard it done that way before. It could work both ways, as, if you've got good Actions, you might lose them but, if you perhaps didn't have any more Actions you get a chance to re-roll.

Hm. I might playtest that and see how it goes. Could be one for INQ2.

R.

Lothar Hex
14-05-2009, 16:18
The only further debate we had was whether or not after the PFB you always get at least one action (as in in a normal turn you always get at least one action).

The solution we are trying out is this:

Lets say a character uses his actions to climb up on a perch to see whats going on around him and then have a PFB. Based on the rules above, he does so and then has two surplus actions that we now must re-roll after he gets up there. He fails those two re-rolls. Should he at least get to do one thing? This may result in the same problem we were trying to avoid i.e. He will always be able to bank on that one extra shot.

What we decided is that after the PFB there is always at least one extra action and that action can only be one of concealment (if the declared actions actually fail), whether it be lying down flat on a high ledge or hugging a wall or whatever. Our rationale is that Lets say a guy got up on the perch, realised that there were enemies all around below (who could easily now detect him), he would at least (even in shock) hit the deck to avoid detection. This is the type of thing you would see in a movie all the time. The hero walks up over the the horizon and is confronted with many enemies, he would like to snap off some shots but instead sensibly goes prone to plan his next move.

So, to clarify, after the pause for breath, he declares he is going to aim and shoot at a character below him. He fails both action rolls. He is then allowed to at least take some kind of cover (if available obviously).

What do you think? Too much?

Lothar Hex
14-05-2009, 16:21
The counter argument ofcourse is that there is no disincentive to always going up for a look-see. Group members have argued that one might well freeze after the pause for breath and it will leave the option as still something that is not all that certain and really only makes sense for a high speed character with the luxury of more rolls.

As in the example of the hero walking over the horizon, sometimes when faced with the enemies before him, he will stand there wide mouthed, and not do anything. Also ofcourse the puase for breath could be done in a more concealed way, negating the need to hide anyway.

precinctomega
14-05-2009, 20:29
I would say that you'd already had your "free" Action that turn by PfBing. One of the things I like best about INQ is the "rabbit in the headlights" moment when a character finds himself suddenly in the cross-hairs of an opponent. I wouldn't like to see PfB negate that.

You might, however, like to know about the popular Lightning Reflexes variation, which allows a character to perform a free Re-Action once per round at any time during the round. In the version I use, the character must roll under his Speed on a D6 in order to perform this Action, which must be a reaction to something else (rather than just using it to perform a mundane Action). So a character can dive for cover, snatch a grenade and hurl it back, catch a falling Mung vase... whatever.

R.

Daredhnu
14-05-2009, 21:50
is it really necessary to penalise somebody for using pause for breath?
essentially he's giving up a potential action to better plan out his following actions.

if you need a background explanation for it, the character literally takes a moment to weigh his option and then act upon the situation.
doesn't seem like such a stretch, offcourse you should probably limit it when people start to pause for breath as their first action every turn.

ThinkThink
26-05-2009, 21:29
I have a few rules Question /Clarification issue and cant start a new thread,

How do physic powers work in close combat? to clarify can a physic power be used by someone in close combat if so how is it worked out?

Is this how actions work for breaking combat, action 1 to step back, action 2 to pass the initiative test to break combat and action 3 now out of combat ie moving away x number of spaces.

and lastly, If your opponent (the defender) is stunned while engaged in close combat does this break the close combat or do you still have to break out of combat. the rules seem to say combat is over is one person is defeated, not sure if that includes stunned.

Thanks for the help. lothar is friend of mine i dont think he will mind if i hijack his thread.

precinctomega
27-05-2009, 07:57
can a physic power be used by someone in close combat if so how is it worked out?

In principle, yes, psychic powers can be used in close combat and they are worked out exactly as normal. You can combine attacking with using a psychic power at the usual penalties to both Actions.

Is this how actions work for breaking combat, action 1 to step back, action 2 to pass the initiative test to break combat and action 3 now out of combat ie moving away x number of spaces.

Not quite. First, one must be "at arm's length" to break from combat. So a Step Back may be necessary if one is closer than this but isn't de facto necessary before a Break. If at arm's length, then a successful Initiative test is required, but, if this is passed, the character immediately makes a Run Action away from combat - no additional Action is required, the Run is an integral part of the Break action.

So a break from Combat could require one or two Actions, not three.

That said, if one is losing combat, then spending an extra Action fleeing from one's opponent may not be a bad idea!

and lastly, If your opponent (the defender) is stunned while engaged in close combat does this break the close combat or do you still have to break out of combat. the rules seem to say combat is over is one person is defeated, not sure if that includes stunned.

Ending combat is rather poorly defined in the LRB. I tend to play it that, if all opposing characters are unable to make an attack, then any other characters in the combat automatically pass any attempt to Break from combat.

However, the rules for Breaking must otherwise be followed as written unless all opposing characters are Out of Action. So you can't Break around characters that are only prone or stunned. As well as prone and stunned characters, this would include being able to automatically Break away from opposing characters who are at arm's length without a Reach 4 weapon.

R.