Saruman
Gothmog
The Betrayer

Common:
Isengard Orcs x6 - Shields
Uruk Hai Phalanx x5 - Pikes
Uruk Hai Warband x6 - Crossbows
Uruk Hai Warband x3 - Shields
Warg Riders x3 - from Mordor ally (Why aren't Warg Riders common for IG?)

Rare:
Warg Riders x3
Uruk Hai Berserkers x2

8 might points, 2 Lvl 3 Casters, 6 companies of crossbows, 2 big blocks of anvils, a couple decent hammers.

Betrayer goes in the crossbow formation, Gothmog can lend some might points around for Heroic Shooting, etc. I think what would really kill me, (like all my lists), are formations of siege weapons. Like 2x6 avenger bolt throwers or some such silliness.

Any thoughts on the list?

WhiteLion
11-05-2009, 12:26
For people to be able to comment on the list more appropriately, you will want to break your units down into formations. For example, you can have 2 companies of berserkers in one formation -- they're all on their own. Also, the 6 companies of crossbows should probably be in 2 or 3 separate formations in order to make their shooting more effective.

It also looks like you don't need the warg riders from Mordor as you have plenty of common formations for them to be Isengard if you want.

Angelust
11-05-2009, 21:51
These are broken down into formations, except the uruk hai berserkers, which are two separate formations. I thought the berserkers would be obvious though, since you can only take single companies.

And the crossbow formation...I considered that, but the betrayer would allow the whole formation to reroll, and the uruk-hai are tough enough to survive a charge, and shoot again before the next assault phase, and generally be a shooty pain int he neck.

Though I do see the advantage of 2 separate companeis of 3...hm...

WhiteLion
11-05-2009, 22:02
These are broken down into formations, except the uruk hai berserkers, which are two separate formations. I thought the berserkers would be obvious though, since you can only take single companies.

And the crossbow formation...I considered that, but the betrayer would allow the whole formation to reroll, and the uruk-hai are tough enough to survive a charge, and shoot again before the next assault phase, and generally be a shooty pain int he neck.

Though I do see the advantage of 2 separate companeis of 3...hm...

I figured that was the case, though what made me wasn't sure was the crossbows. I see your point about surviving combat and then shooting, but if you consider the math between even 2 formations vs. 1 (and I think that I prefer 2 for my shooters, but your plan would be better in a larger unit.). I'm guessing that you'll probably at most be getting 27 dice anyway (3 firing and 3 support) vs. 24+24 since two formations of 3 will likely have a better chance to have more shots, if that makes sense.

Angelust
13-05-2009, 17:15
OK, maybe a more balanced version.

Epic:
Saruman
Lurtz
Gothmog

Common:
Uruk Phalanx - 1x5
Morannon Orc - 1x6
Uruk Warband - 2x3 - Crossbows

Rare:
Warg Riders - 1x4
Mordor Siege Bow - 1x2
Uruk Berserkers - 2x1

60 points left over for a fate, a captain, or some other upgrade.

Gothmog in the Morannon orcs, Saruman either in the Phalanx or a crossbow unit, and Lurtz either in a berserker unit or Phalanx unit.

Gothmog and his force is on loan from Mordor, and his overlord ability can give some heroic shoots and movement when needed.

Saruman can blast magic, perhaps stall a charge, and bring some courage 6 around the board.

Lurtz is really not that necessary in my opinion, but I have the model and I don't really know what else I'd add in the list as it'd start to get pretty crowded.

As for fates or upgrades, I could add a captain to either the morannon orcs or the pike squad, though Gothmog can already give At the Double to the orcs, and the pike squad doesn't really need to do that many heroic actions in my opinion. Gothmog can lend might points around if needed anyway.

Maybe a captain for the warg riders to do at the double and heroic fights and things....

What do you guys think? I'm generally underwhelmed by Fates...