PDA

View Full Version : Best way to title a thread, as a question?

blurrymadness
09-05-2009, 05:44
I do hope some of you smirked at the irony :rolleyes:

At any rate, does anyone else start to get annoyed by the constant use of questions in titles? Summing up the problem should be enough, without an arbitrary question mark being added to a sentence not phrased as a question.

Examples being:
"[...], worth it?" threads and the like

Current examples:
"Imperial guard priests?"
"Shotguns?"
"death company in rhinos or jumppacks?"
"Vespids, primary uses?"

It's not even limited to question marks:
"50 man conscript squad with chenkov!"

Most of these titles fail to properly communicate whatever it is they are trying to, or they unnecessarily force you to read the post to figure out what they even want. In the best of these, those who titled it still lose that touch of desirability due to the shaky (seen as immature) word usage. "Primary Uses of Vespid" would be simple, forward, and more interesting, even with the same content.

Simple english wouldn't be so bad:
Can I be IN a jump-pack?

Or conveying enough knowledge to give us and idea what you want:
What do we need to answer or advise, or learn about priests or shotguns?

Any thoughts on this in general?

Ddraiglais
09-05-2009, 05:46
It's way better than ending a statement with the word "discuss".

Mojaco
09-05-2009, 08:31
It's a quick way of conveying the topic, so I don't see the problem.
Instead of 'imperial guard priests?' the person could say 'What do you think of Imperial Guard Priest?', but the added words are just filler to make it gramatically correct.

Besides, I like short titles. It allows me to browse topics quickly.

zoggin-eck
09-05-2009, 08:38
Annoys the hell out of me. Not sure if this thread should be in 40k general though, it kind of relates to the forum in general.

It gets worse, the number of threads that just name an army with a question mar at the end. How many "Space marines?" threads do we need.

Take a few seconds to think of a title people! It might encourage appropriate people to bother reading your thread/question. I suspect these are the people who don't bother using all the space ebay gives you in a description, simply writing "warhammer" or "xbox game" and then wonders why they suck at selling things online.

Vote Kantor
09-05-2009, 08:50
I like the short, simple way of doing things.

Makes it easier to skim through threads until i find something i like.

Eldoriath
09-05-2009, 09:51
I agree that the title should be a short question that gives the reader a good hint of the content, and it doesn't need to be gramatically correct. But sometimes, it's just hard to make good titles, i have been at it a couple of times.

edward3h
09-05-2009, 12:00
"Imperial Guard Priests?" is fairly specific and therefore a better title than "I have a couple of rules questions" (posted in the Rules Questions forum of course).

I don't see anything wrong with titles that are questions or abbreviated, as long as they are specific.

CEO Kasen
09-05-2009, 12:04
"Shingles?"
"6 Kittens in a Pongo list?"
"Laser molests gumbo fluff. Discuss?"
"Impacted Tzeentch Critter: Ordnance Monkey?"
"What did the poor question mark ever do to you, you punctuation fascist?"
"...Really? An entire orphanage?"

blurrymadness
09-05-2009, 17:48
lol I'm not a punctuation fascist.

My points are:
-"Imperial Guard Priests?" doesn't tell us anything about what they want, it could be a question on their uses, "worth their points", who to attach them to, a rules question on what they confer to who, it's unspecific, thus not useful.
-"Shotguns?", we don't know the contex in which they are talking about them. It could be Dark Angels even... It could say "IG Shotguns on Vets" or the like. There's no reason to be so ambiguous as to make us read the topic to know if we even know about the topic.
-Some of these would be shorter as well. The death company could simply be "death company: Rhinos or Jumppacks". It's even shorter, it's better language, and it's more likely to attract peoples attention.

-and:
Part of the point isn't me whining about punctuation, as much as it is also saying "Your thread will get more attention if it looks: literate, informative, and intelligent". It's just like why you ignore places with worse advertising. You are essentially advertising your topic to the forum, hoping to get some "buyers" as no one is bound to answer you. To get more people to bite, you can do simple things like the above, making your topic title assertive, coherent, and specific. When I see "shotguns?" it's one of the last things I'll look at, as it could pertain to at least 3 armies, on god knows how many units, in umpteen thousand situations. At least narrow it down to a small percentage of situations where it comes up.

The last thing to consider, is being considerate of other's topics. If they start "Shotguns?" for IG, using the logic they're using, how will SM players get a new topic about shotguns?

EDIT: Yes I was unsure about putting it here, but it seems to be the only one I could see posting it in. It's not rules, tactics, background, or a rumor, so General was my best bet. Sorry mods! Please use sanctuary to push it the required 6" away if need be.

CEO Kasen
09-05-2009, 20:40
lol I'm not a punctuation fascist.

I hope you weren't taking a comment that includes the words "Laser," "molests," "gumbo" and "fluff" in succession at all seriously... Were you? :D

Lostanddamned
09-05-2009, 20:45
How about six question marks and five exclamation points for a not particularly interesting idea, seems pretty valid to me...

I am an overuser of the elipsis (and the overlong scentence), but when titling a thread I prefer to actually use a title, that states what the thread is intended to discuss, without being a question, or indeed grammatically incorrect.

I have noticed that 40kGeneral does tend to be slightly more prone to this than other boards - possibly because it is so close to the top, and so the first board that new users will see - also Warseer is a slightly more 40k biased board than it is biased towards fantasy in my previous experiances.

Grimtuff
09-05-2009, 21:48
At least they're actually using question marks in the thread titles. God how that winds me up in M, P&T. :rolleyes:

The amount of threads you see with stuff like "DE Lord on Dragon" as the title, only for the content of the thread to be "how do I make one?" There! You used a question mark there! How difficult is it to put one in the fething title! :rolleyes:

[/ranter]

Vepr
09-05-2009, 21:50
"Questions about questions?" ;)

Lostanddamned
09-05-2009, 22:01
At least they're actually using question marks in the thread titles. God how that winds me up in M, P&T. :rolleyes:

The amount of threads you see with stuff like "DE Lord on Dragon" as the title, only for the content of the thread to be "how do I make one?" There! You used a question mark there! How difficult is it to put one in the fething title! :rolleyes:

[/ranter]

A million times yes! good lord how that annoys me, especially when it looks to be a really intresting idea. Then a short, low farting noise, and the boring question...

zoggin-eck
09-05-2009, 23:32

[/ranter]

So true. The same in the rumour section when people shouldn't be posting questions anyway such as:

"Chaos Dwarves" *sic*

"New Dragon ogres"