PDA

View Full Version : Vampire hero on hellsteed?

patrikhuset
09-05-2009, 10:48
Hi!

I need some help with setting up my vampire hero...

So the book states that for an extra 20pts i can give the hero a hellsteed (a horse that can fly...)

And then comes the problem. I want this character to be a warmachine/caster-killer. so I want to choose the vampiric power that gives him:

Dread Knight:
The Vampire has a lance, heavy armor, a shield and rides a bared NIGHTMARE.

So the question is really: can i combine these two options or will my opponents get crazy ?

Sidenote: does a charging flyer also gets the +2 str from lance charge?

changer of fate
09-05-2009, 10:51
I guess...............proberbly yes..............not 100% sure...............

Monsterzonk
09-05-2009, 11:02
No. It's been FAQ'd. You cannot buy another mount of any kind if you have Dread Knight.

However, you can take Avatar of Death for heavy armour and shield and then take the Hellsteed. You won't get a lance, though, unless you take a magical one. But since the Balefire Spike is just 10 points, that's not too complicated.

You'll still get +2S on the charge with a flying mount when you're using a lance.

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

patrikhuset
09-05-2009, 12:02
lovely answer!

Bears anger on that and i've got one mad killer =)

Thanks man!

Monsterzonk
09-05-2009, 12:14
Sorry to disappoint, but you cannot cast Bear's Anger on mounted models. It explicitly says so in the spell's description.

If you really want a warmachine- or mage-hunter, go for Hunter in the Dark (Scout) and Talisman of Lycni (M9), and maybe Armour of Night (-2 to hit for shooting against the wearer, which is cumulative with the -1 for shooting single models on foot for a mean -3 to hit for shooting). ;) This way you also retain a 360 LoS.

EvC
09-05-2009, 13:10
No, you can't give a Hellsteed Vamp Dread Knight. But you can buy them the Balefire Spike.

I've used a Hellsteed Vamp, but it is quite expensive for what it does- 200 points generally, and can be killed by things like Furies or Horrors in close combat. I have also started using a new list with a Zombie Dragon and 2 Hellsteed Vamps for a bit of fun- my first game with them I'd massacred my opponent turn 2, but my BSB had already died sadly...

Darkangeldentist
09-05-2009, 22:45
I find hellsteeds are generally rather too finicky to work easily for mage killers or warmachine hunters. For the later I prefer varghulfs, doesn't risk a hero and almost as fast.

If you do want a hellsteed vampire perhaps this setup might appeal. Infinite hatred, walking death, flayed hauberk, sword of battle, hellsteed and battle standard.

He's got 2 points of static combat res, 4 S5 attacks rerolling misses plus 1 S4 attack and -1 to crumble wounds. Plus a 2+ save.

You can almost comfortably risk him against a fully ranked up regiment.

Oberon
10-05-2009, 08:39
I use a similar BSB, but he fights on foot with the talisman of lycni, sometimes switching sword of battle for sword of might. Can hide in a unit and has the 360 los, but if the hellsteed is a must then the setup above might be the one.

the_picto
10-05-2009, 14:07
I've not used one yet, but I want to try:

Vampire
Helstead, avatar of death, baleful spike, gem of blood.

Not sure how well that would work. Wristbands of black gold would be useful aswell.

Anaxagoras
10-05-2009, 15:54
I've tried the hero on hellsteed, and it is really tough to kit out to any effectiveness, especially with the absurd FAQ that you can't combine Dread Knight with Hellsteed. Except for soft-list friendly games, I recommend against it with just a hero.

I've had mine killed by skaven jezzail teams...talk about shame...

EvC
10-05-2009, 16:05
...in combat, or from shooting? Neither would surprise me.

Shinnjin
10-05-2009, 23:21
I wouldn't do it personally.

First, you lose the 360 degree LOS for a gain of Flight, which you can get from Vampiric Powers without losing the LOS.

You gain 1 S4 attack, how about a Sword of Battle for +1 S5 attack instead?

Having a mounted hero on his own is not my idea of effectiveness since he doesn't have as much freedom as a character on foot and if you're going to put him in a unit, a normal Nightmare is better.

Haven't tried using a winged Horror, but I know from experience that a VL on a Zombie Dragon kicks just about anything from here to sunday.

/5 cents.

Spirit
11-05-2009, 02:28
I have a vampire on a hellsteed, the most amazing character i have.

-Dark acolyte
-Helm of command
-Raise skeletons
-Black periapt

Flys about giving WS6 to any part of my army that needs it, whilst raising all my core troops back. If he gets vanhells the effective range of the spell gos from 12" to 32", and no one can escape a gaze of nagash from him.

Forget about killing warmachines, support is the hellsteeds best role by far.

Scythe
11-05-2009, 06:26
I wouldn't do it personally.

First, you lose the 360 degree LOS for a gain of Flight, which you can get from Vampiric Powers without losing the LOS.

You gain 1 S4 attack, how about a Sword of Battle for +1 S5 attack instead?

The main point of the Hellsteed here would be that you can get both without touching your magic item or bloodline powers pts limits. It is essentially extra gear you can buy on top of what you can normally take.

EvC
11-05-2009, 11:34
But at the cost of never being able to join units, which is unfortunate. Terradon-fodder is thy name.

One of my Hellsteeders has Infinite Hatred, Nightshroud, Periapt and a Scroll. He's a bit of a fire-and-forget merchant, in that I can afford to lose him but he's worth a stab. Excellent at taking care of Assassins and pesky S6 Dark Elf Black Guard champions (very satisfying), but needs the BSB nearby to stop him fully crumbling in one turn's combat.

wingedserpant
11-05-2009, 19:49
I have a vampire on a hellsteed, the most amazing character i have.

-Dark acolyte
-Helm of command
-Raise skeletons
-Black periapt

Flys about giving WS6 to any part of my army that needs it, whilst raising all my core troops back. If he gets vanhells the effective range of the spell gos from 12" to 32", and no one can escape a gaze of nagash from him.

Forget about killing warmachines, support is the hellsteeds best role by far.

Mind to keep him away from fleeing squig herds though.

Rockgut
11-05-2009, 20:01
"But at the cost of never being able to join units"

Are you saying that a Vampire on a Hellsteed cannot join a unit of skeletons, etc?

Sorry if I missed that rule, it may be obvious and I just overlooked it. But that is news to me.

Leth Shyish'phak
11-05-2009, 20:56
Flying mounts can never join units.

Rockgut
11-05-2009, 21:03
Thanks, found the rule in the Characters section (page 72 of the brb).

Anaxagoras
11-05-2009, 22:45
...in combat, or from shooting? Neither would surprise me.

From combat...sigh...

Spirit
12-05-2009, 00:00
Mind to keep him away from fleeing squig herds though.

... You dick. Lol. That was not a pretty sight.

ZombieMans
12-05-2009, 00:41
I used to use a vamp on a hellsteed... and then he got shot to death. So now I don't

One cannon/bolt/magic missle and he's done for. Even with the wristbands of black gold, you are probably going to die. Not really worth it in my oppinion.

Maybe if he had 5 wounds...

carldooley
12-05-2009, 01:21
you can still give your bsb dread knight, yes? if not I'll have to rebuild my list.:cries:

ZombieMans
12-05-2009, 02:42
Yes, you can still give them dread Knight.

psycho
27-05-2009, 09:52
you could go Flying Horror, Avatar of Death, Nightmare and Balefire spike

which would make a mounted flying vampire which can join units.