PDA

View Full Version : IG Veterans Idea and General IG inspirational input from YOU!!

Galvatron
09-05-2009, 15:52
Hello everyone.

I haven't posted in quite some time. 2005 or 2006 I think was my last post. I've been away at university chasing girls, drinking, majoring in economics and finance, and working at an alternative investment firm and dating a hot veterinarian ;). Now that a close friend of mine and I have started our own company and doing well so far *knocks on desk and crosses fingers with other hand* I have some free time... at long last. No more 100 hour work weeks hooray!

Back in the late 90s early 00s I was an avid Eldar player. I, however always had a soft spot for the Imperials.

Anyway. Last week I was cleaning my place and came across 20 unmistakable little guys. 8 original Arbites with shotguns, 8 original Arbites with bolters, 2 original Arbites with grenade launchers, and 2 original Arbites squad leaders/proctors/judges. Minis that I had bought from a friend because he needed cash for something back in '98. They had somehow survived the moves from home to dorm to apartment to internship locations back to apartments and now here. This discovery of pristine unpainted classic figures brought a huge smile to my face. This discovery also diverted my attention away from my current hobby (firearms). So after finishing work early last Monday, I strolled by my local hobby shop and noticed that the Imperial guard had a new codex. I bought it just for the sake of nostalgia. Flipping through it I started get sucked in again.

My girlfriend rolled her eyes at this. I know shes thinking "Not another thing for him to collect and blow money on." Amongst you I know I'm not alone with this reaction! She never understood the difference between a WASR-10 and a CZ Vz. 58, and I don't understand the difference between her BCBG heels and her Chinese Laundry heels that look exactly the same except for one strap.

Sorry for being long-winded, I'm excited about 40k again. Here's the point of the post, I swear: So after going through the codex I noticed a lot of things that made me think "wow, this codex is very very flexible." You can make practically any style guard without having to know all of those doctrine rules. The Arbites popped into my head upon getting to the veterans section. Why not start a guard army? Using the Arbites as grenadiers armed with shotguns and grenade launchers. What do you think? As a sort of attached Arbites precinct? It doesn't seem as though I can use the bolter models, and I always hated "count as" models. Any ideas on what I could use the bolter Arbites for?

Also, there have been so many changes in the last ~4 years. I want to do an IG army. But Cadians are too bland in my opinion. Anyone know of any cool places to find background or inspiration for an IG army? It doesn't have to be official stuff, as long as it's well written and reasonable. One image keeps popping into my head. The picture of an IG trooper in front of a Hive, standing in ash or snow from some page of "Codex: Imperialis". Anyone know what I'm talking about? I don't have the book, but I remember the image quite vividly.

Hamarpain
09-05-2009, 16:00
Well, you could use the bolter arbites as Stormtroopers. Just say use different kinda rounds for them. Can´t remember excatly what they, exterminator or something rounds.

As for Guard ideas, there´s just loads of conversion ideas. I did Terrax guard, which are like army of commisars. There´s Steel Legion for the ash wastes, Valhallan for ice. Mix and match bitz from fantasy if you´d prefer a nobleman´s army.

broxus
09-05-2009, 16:14
The important question is if you were chasing girls did you catch any of them? Why wouldn't you spend your free time chasing more of them?

I prefer catch and release.

Tourniquet
09-05-2009, 16:17
The important question is if you were chasing girls did you catch any of them? Why wouldn't you spend your free time chasing more of them?

I prefer catch and release.

he's Dating a vetenary nurse so obviously he got one, or he landed in a bear trap and she got him :p

Welcome back!
IG are incredibly flexible.
You can theme them off of anything you like pretty much.
Mix and match Fantasy and 40k Bits can make this even more possible!

And the arbites sound like a great idea for a unit of veterans

Galvatron
09-05-2009, 17:36
So I've noticed two replies pointing to fantasy parts to make guard unique. Excellent! I looked at a few on the GW website. The only ones that really seem to fit the bill are the Men at Arms. Thanks for the idea. I immediately thought WWI trench warfare when I saw some of their helmets. The Vostroyan miniatures caught my eye. I had heard of them before, but never really bothered to check them out. Sans the hats, they remind me of "Dune" for some reason. Ornate with a interesting juxtaposition of high and low tech.

The more I think about it, the more it looks like I want to go with a Nobleman's army. I thought about Arbites as being like the US's FBI or BATFE, just Judge Dread-esque. Which means if they were attached to an Imperial Guard unit, then the IG unit would most likely be a PDF of some kind. Along that line of logic, some kind of household guard with traditional names like dragoons, hussars, chasseurs, lancers, jaegers, etc., seems like it would make a good nobleman's army with a PDF overtone. I'm not put off by converting. Besides the Praetorian and Mordian (no armor in the 41st millenium? really?) miniatures, what do you think would work well? I was thinking Empire Greatswords bodies, Cadian legs&arms, Vostroyan lasguns. Do you think that's a mismatch? What do you think would work well.

BTW, thanks for the input so far!

mukelnas
09-05-2009, 17:55
I think I remember the picture you are talking about

A guardsman in a greatcoat, and gas mask helmet thing (almost looks like a marine helmet)? Standing kind of relaxed, with another guy in the background, like they are on patroal or somthing?

If thats what you are talking about, have you seen the Steel legion, or Death Korps of Krieg. You said you have been away a wile.

Galvatron
09-05-2009, 18:30
That's the one! I really liked the helmet. It was almost like a Valhallan without the fur but with a Cadian helmet with gas mask, except without the "ear bulges".

I have seen the Death Korps of Krieg. Beautiful miniatures. I especially like how they made the infantry weapons less bulky/cartoon and more realistic in size. They're expensive, though.

Tourniquet
09-05-2009, 18:30
I remember awhile ao there was a conversion using Men at Arms bodies with lasguns.
Some green stufing and extra add ons and it came out as an amazing looking army. Both Archaic and Futuristic. Still the best IG army i have seen.
cant find the pics anymore though :(

silence
09-05-2009, 18:53
Did you know that the Arbites can be used in the Witch Hunters army, which can be taken with Imperial Guard!

BTW Tourniquet can you PM the website you found those pictures on, or anything you can remember about them, thanks.

Galvatron
09-05-2009, 19:00
Found it!

After what seemed like an hour or so of searching, I found it.

This is what I want to model my infantry after. How would you guys make this?

It seems in order to get the body armor right, I would have to use Cadian torso and arms. How to make the helmet and legs/coat? The backpack looks like it could be adequately done with Kasrkin backpacks.

RichBlake
09-05-2009, 19:09
That picture almost looks like the Vostroyans...

To be honest you'll have a hard time making something that looks even similar to that using plastic Cadians. Hell you'll have trouble doing it using anything.

If you were intent on doing it and money wasn't an objective I'd suggest Vostroyan First Born bodies with backpacks and helemts from Cadian Kasrkin.

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
09-05-2009, 19:13
Use Cadian figures and green stuff the "skirt" around the legs. Order the Cadian respirator heads from forgeworld to use as the helmut. Backpacks also come with the respirator set, they just as not tech looking.

You could also just use the Kasrkin (stormtrooper) models and green stuff the skirt on. The metal models wouldn't be as flexible to work with though.

Hamarpain
09-05-2009, 19:14
Actually, i´d use Marine Scout Armor. Just stuff the Jacket(Now there´s an odd verb) It´s bit bulkier, but to me in that pic he looks bit chunkier than flak armor. As for the helmet, the new command squad box has rebreathers. Combine with helmets that have goggles on them and slightly cut on the sides and AVOT.

Empire Outriders have wonderful bits to use on Officers. Just saw couple of neat ones made out of them. Also, if you want go for a really arbites style, how about taking couple penal legions? They´d just release the prisoners on to the enemy. Just remember the explosive collars.

Codsticker
10-05-2009, 01:53
Perhaps Brettonian Men-at-Arms with pig iron helmets?

unclejimbo827
10-05-2009, 02:21
Hello everyone.

I haven't posted in quite some time. 2005 or 2006 I think was my last post. I've been away at university chasing girls, drinking, majoring in economics and finance, and working at an alternative investment firm and dating a hot veterinarian ;). Now that a close friend of mine and I have started our own company and doing well so far *knocks on desk and crosses fingers with other hand* I have some free time... at long last. No more 100 hour work weeks hooray!

Oh, well, you're obviously much too cool for this game.

Galvatron
10-05-2009, 03:26
Jimbo:

What was the point of saying that? Anything positive?

I'm trying to get back to something that genuinely entertains me that isn't work related. I wanted to relate my enthusiasm. I guess I could have just said "After a 4 year sabbatical, so to speak, I finally have some time on my hands," but I was in an excited mood for finally posting on here again in what seemed like a very long time. When I get excited, I tend to go through whatever the topic may be, from start to finish. Excuse me for trying to relate to people who had fun at university and all the shenanigans that go with it, not to mention those who know what it means to have time on your hands for a hobby, especially after not having free time. Or what about people's significant other complaining about their hobby purchases? If you haven't experienced any bit of that, then we have obviously had very different lives and I obviously didn't relate to you.

I actually remember when this was Portent instead of Warseer.

If you were being snide in your post, then no, I guess I'm not too cool. Otherwise I wouldn't be excited about a science fiction miniature game, and posting on relevant fora. I don't know if you noticed, but my avatar is a Transformer for goodness' sake.

It sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder. Sure, it may be a judgment about your character based on some text on some internet forum. But that's what you did.

Your replies will be ignored because lets face it, arguing over the internet is almost always fruitless.

Codsticker:

What are pig iron helmets? I know what the literal words mean, but it obviously refers to something specific for 40k.

Rule-Of-Three
10-05-2009, 06:13
He's refering to a brand of miniatures called Pig Iron Productions.
They make some some pretty good metal miniatures that would make decent guardsmen, they usually have coats of some sort and sport all kinds of cool gasmaks and integral helmets, you can also order just packs of heads and they fit well over GW humans. I ordered a few heads and the guy was a pleasure to deal with, and it's quite cheap.

Have a look over there : http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/

Max1mum
10-05-2009, 07:00
Welcome back into the hobby,

I'm currently still in uni, chasing the girls and having fun while doing it ;-). But i sneak half a hour to a hour during my morning routine into painting my guys. 1 or two troopers a day keeps the commissar away.

Tell me, how is live on the other end of the tunnel? ;-) is it worth all my hard work ?

But to help you out, the previously mentioned pig iron helmets are head conversion in the same scale as 40k models. In fact you could even say that this company made them for cadians, anyway here is the link for you : http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/order.htm i hope it helps. ( - EDIT - **** rule-of-three ninjad me O_o )

And the Death korps models are indeed fantastic but a bit on the pricey end of things. But in the end i always consider how much time i'm going to spend having fun building and painting them. Afterall, if i do 2 troopers a day in a hour and 10 troopers set me back 35 pounds. ( http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/kriegsf.htm ) Then i'm actualy spending 7 pounds a day on hourly entertainment. ( i study finance as well ) When i go out and chase the girls i spend more on hourly basis :P, so apperently 7 pounds a hour is well worth it :D. ( this hourly figure does not include actual gaming, the time the models will look in the cabinent and the laughs you will have at because of your eye-rolling-girlfriend )

And if you go for vehicles as well ( and as potential IG player you will ;-) ) Try and get your hands on the Forgeworld Moddeling book ( i think it's a event only selling point ) It is worth it's weight in something really expensive ;-)

greenbull
10-05-2009, 07:25
Welcome back! I really enjoyed reading your opening post :)
I fully agree with max1mum about the book from FW. My vehicle painting improved a lot thanks to the techniques in there.
One stupid question: are arbites the same as custodians? If so, i can post a link to insane looking models. Hell, I'll post it anyway:http://www.chestofcolors.com/cofc-postnuke/index.php?set_albumName=benathai_custodes&id=custodes_002&name=gallery&include=view_photo.php

Ddraiglais
10-05-2009, 07:26
I remember awhile ao there was a conversion using Men at Arms bodies with lasguns.
Some green stufing and extra add ons and it came out as an amazing looking army. Both Archaic and Futuristic. Still the best IG army i have seen.
cant find the pics anymore though :(

I believe you are talking about the Genswick Rifles. That's one of my favorite IG armies. There are some great conversions in that army.

To the OP: Congrats on doing well in life and welcome back to the hobby. Pig Iron does some great heads for IG. West Wind is another company that makes WW II heads. Max Mini also does some head swaps. Right now their stuff seems more suited for traitor guard and SM though.

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?infoBox=1&cPath=130&osCsid=11cd1681df7792fbeacdffa9fa4fe6aa

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?infoBox=1&cPath=165_173

http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12&zenid=aef1c9b8cdd6442bf5354ffc6d0a90ae

Mortius27
10-05-2009, 11:55
Welcome back to 40k.
Your questions acually inspired me to create an account. Anyway if you want something as close to the picture to posted as you can get I would use Cadian arms and torsos with the new Cadian commader skirted legs form the brand new Cadian command squad box. You could also use the Baneblade Officer legs from the Baneblade box. For heads I would use use these Kolony Militia Heads http://www.thewarstore.com/product29988.html
They are from a company called Pig Iron Near Future. This same company makes all kinds of heads that work great on GW stuff. For his gun you could use the Lasguns out of the Catachan Jungle Fighter Box and remove the magazine from them with a hobby knife and replace them with bolter mags to give it the sickle mag look. If you want backpacks Forgeworld makes some for their Eilsyians and Kreig guys. All of this would be a lot of work but I believe once put together it would closely match the photo.

Galvatron
10-05-2009, 14:06
After a depressing morning watching my favorite F1 team score a single solitary point (Williams F1 for life baby), I have been uplifted by the incredibly motivational posts from you.

Wow, the Pig Iron Productions heads. and some of their bodies, are really quite good for a boutique shop. Their rebel heads would be perfect for traitor guard.

Max1mum:

Speaking of boutique, Max1mum, I worked at a boutique hedge fund for a little over a year. Great pay, well into 6 figures after bonus, lousy hours. I left because my longest week was 112 hours, I hadn't seen my friends in over a month, my girlfriend, who I love, hadn't seen me except when I was asleep, and I wanted to be more creative than being painted into a corner by my role at the firm. Sometimes I wish I stayed, but other times I don't. If you can stick it out, it's worth it from a money perspective. My boss once told me, "Some sports player just signed a new 40 million dollar 5 year contract, with 20 million garunteed, at the end of that contract, their career will be winding down and may perhaps even be over, meanwhile my earning power will be stronger than ever before, that contract just doesn't sound like a lot of money to me over the span of my lifetime." We specialized in this fairly new asset class. If you ever get the chance, take a look at Life Settlements (Not Viatical). It's a fairly well established asset class in Europe, but the US is just starting to look at it seriously. Basically it's creating, trading, swapping, buying/selling portfolios of life insurance policies. Since under almost every US state's law, and most European countries' law, Life insurance is considered property, and therefore can be traded etc. like any other property. Also the derivatives market for Life Settlements in the US is just starting up. So buy/sell/trade/swap of securities based on indexes of the portfolios is also looking attractive because you can make the portfolio very safe (almost T-Bill safe) from a risk perspective but also with a decent IRR of well over 12%, sometimes as high as 30, albeit with more risk. The grass can be greener, if you're in the US just make sure you keep your GPA well above 3.4, more like 3.6 or 3.7 is usually fine, otherwise firms just won't be interested. It also depends on the school you go to. If you know you're competing with Ivy league kids for a spot at a bulge bracket firm, then your GPA should be a straight 4. Even if theirs is like a 3.2 the Ivy league kids always get preference, I don't know why. I'm not familiar with international scoring. But if you're looking at a local hedge fund, PE fund, or small/mid cap bank, then the former GPA requirements should be more than adequate. One other thing. Financial Modeling. Learn it, love it. Take "The Analyst Exchange" or "Training The Street" or some other intensive modeling course. It really helped me. My Classes at Penn State were very good, but the extra bit on the resume and jumping into my job with the same knowlege as someone who was there for over a year really helped.

Also, Max1mum, nice way of putting the hobby in terms of the $. I could approach a girl (based on initial interest body language on her part) and spend $30 just playing the game to see if she's truly interested only to find out that she's a flirt. It could be a fun night, but then again, it may just be a waste. With a 40k model for the same money, the enjoyment is a certainty and possibly over a longer period of time.

Mortius:

I'm so glad that my thread inspired someone else like me to get back on to Warseer. I looked at the Pig Iron stuff. I love their "heavy infantry." Their militia heads gas masks look a little too... flexible. The one in the Codex: Imperialis picture is rigid looking to me. But I never thought of the Cadian Commander's or Baneblade Commander's legs. They look like they might do very very well. Are they metal or plastic?

As for lasguns. The best ones I've found are almost an exact match. They are the lasguns with the angled power pack and no stock on the Necromunda Weapon Sprue. Apparently that little gem is OOP. But I've found it again in the Ratskin gang bitz. So maybe I could buy the Ratskin gang for their lasguns, and make a DIY mold and make them myself.

Mortius27
10-05-2009, 14:55
The leg bits that I mentioned are plastic. I was also aware of the necromunda gun spure but I believe there is only one of that version of lasgun on the entire spure so it would not be very cost effective thats why I recomended the bolter mags. The necromunda spure is very cool though I own a few myself. I was just looking and forgeworld also makes Cadian heads with resperators. They pretty much look like kasarkin heads but you wouldnt have to cut the pewter ones off of those fairly expensive models. Getting back to the gun thing I made some really cool autoguns for my guardsmen buy cutting the barrel of a catachan lasgun off right behind the central barrel lug and then removing the smaller bottom barrel under the primary one. Next I removed the old magazine and replaced with a bolter one as I stated ealier. Then I carfully took the front sight off the same bolter and reglued it to the back of the lasgun in the reverse postion where a rear sight would go (on the hump between the stock and where the barrel meets the receiver) and it looks just like an EOtech red dot scope. The finished gun looks like if you took an HK G36 and made it a flattop then added the EOtech scope. I really like the way this conversion looks and it is faily cheap to do since you can make an entire rifle from one plastic catachan lasgun and on e plastic bolter. I am at work right now but if you like I could post pictures of the ones I have done when I get home.

Slipknotman21
10-05-2009, 15:11
Hey man I like the sounds of your army,might try some of the Necromunda(SP?) figures they might work for some Penal troops.

Galvatron
10-05-2009, 15:13
Another gun guy! YES! A buddy of mine has an EOtech on his VLTOR AR15. It's really nice and rugged. I'm an Aimpoint guy myself. I like the EO-Tech's reticle a lot, though. I just don't like the buttons on the back of the EOTech. When you have one of their 3x or 4x magnifiers behind it the magnifier gets in the way of the buttons, especially if you have gloves on. But I find the whole Aimpoint or EOtech thing to be just preference. It's like Cannon and Nikon, or chocolate and vanilla.

I really like that idea. I want to keep it as sci-fi as possible, though. I was looking at doing a SL8-G36 conversion about 6 months ago. 1800 bucks for the sl8, 1800 bucks for all the parts and gunsmith services to convert it... NO THANKS. I ended up with a kitted out CZ Vz.58 for $1200 and never looked back. Eccentric, reliable, better than an AK in every way IMO.

So this is what I'm thinking so far:

Caidan Torsos. Cadian Officer's and Baneblade Commander's legs. Cadian arms. FW Cadian respirator heads. Kasrkin Backpacks. File off the "ear" parts of the Cadian helmets. Use some green stuff to make the 3 small ridges at the top of the helmet.

I guess regular lasguns would do, but the carbine really makes that picture for me. Anyone know any way to make the lasguns like that? Any way to mold my own?

Also, how do you imagine those troopers? This will help me actually build the army, rather than style it. Trenchers? Mechanized? Light? Heavy? Veterans? I want to know what you guys think because I want to enjoy making and playing this army as much as I want people to enjoy seeing it and playing against it (not because it's easy to defeat, however :p)

jeramy404
10-05-2009, 18:27
Welcome back to the ranks, Soldier.

The Baneblade commander legs look a little thin and long, if you ask me. I don't think they would look right on the model. However, the Cadian Command Squad greatcoat legs would do quite well, although you'd be left with only one pose, really, unless you've got some leg work ideas in your head.

If you want to dig out your model saw, there's these Great Coat's by Troll Forged Miniatures http://www.trollsforge.com/millitia/grtcts1.jpg which would give you the legs you're looking for, and you may like the guns too. They go for $40-USD/20 and if you're willing to make the investment (which would probably turn out just the same or cheaper than finding and buying Cadian Commander legs) should give you the greatcoat look you want.

This idea, to me sounds just spectacular! I'm definitely hoping you'll put up a prototype when you get this all figured out!

I'd probably field these guys as either light Infantry or Mechanized. But I may be biased playing a mix of the two myself :P

Hope this helps you out,
-Jeramy

P.S. Here's the link to Troll Forge's website, maybe they'll appreciate the PR from me, haha.

http://www.trollsforge.com/millitia/grtcoat.html

Max1mum
10-05-2009, 18:44
so the answer to my question wether or not its worth it, completely depends if i want to live to work or work to live ;-)

Anyway, by now your list of bits is quickly running up to the same price tag as Squad of Death korps of krieg guys ;-). Not to mention you wont be throwing away so much stuff :P. ( or building a massive bit box ;-) )

Codsticker
10-05-2009, 19:02
West Wind is another company that makes WW II heads.

I forgot about the West Wind stuff- the head packs are great even if the sculpting is a little coarse.

Galvatron
11-05-2009, 02:53
Heh, yeah, I guess it does look like it would be expensive to make those kind of troopers. FW expensive in fact. The Troll Forged great coats look fantastic except for their faces. They even have buttons in the correct place. The only problem is they're one piece. This is going to be my last post until next weekend. Hopefully I will have been able to settle on a combination of parts and have stuff ordered for a prototype, even if it may not be the final version.

Mechanized always appealed to me. I might go that direction.

Warhammer is so cool. Half the fun is the lore and making the tabletop feel like the lore. I'm excited!

Slipknotman21
11-05-2009, 03:04
For making Las-Carbines I would just cut the stock off leave the trigger and grip alone,Steel legion sytle I'll see if I can get a picture.

I'd go for trenchers or Mech infantry.

FW has some cool Commissars that I think would work for you.

Max1mum
11-05-2009, 06:32
Keep us updated trooper ;-), try and put does throng following Cadia and Catachan style players to shame ;-) ( that would be me included :P )

mukelnas
11-05-2009, 12:59
if the price is the only thing keeping you from going DKoK, check out the passangers for the Gorgon (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/dkkgorginf.htm), you can buy them seprate from the gorgon itself. Just carefully cut them apart (they are resin so it is a little more difficult). You'll save a bunch of money.

Bekenel
11-05-2009, 13:38
What was the point of saying that? Anything positive?

At a guess, he was trying to point out that the introduction to your post was basically saying "Hey look at me! I have a hot girlfriend and a load of money. My life rules!". Not trying to cause offense myself, but there wasn't really a huge need to explain all that. To some people (presumably Jimbo included), it can come across as arrogant. It's not exactly needed to understand that you want to come back to 40k.

That said, as soon as I read about the IG Trooper in the Imperalis, I knew exactly who you were on about, and hell yes that guy looks cool as hell. As pointeed out, he is going to prove a difficult inspiration however. The kit he's got screams Veterans with Grenadiers, though. It'll be too much armour to be considered Flak Armour, I think, if you get the look of the picture just right.

With that, you can go for a hi-tech force - Plasma and Melta everywhere, Power Fists, Valkyries/Vendettas.. It'll be a sweet looking army.

Sir_Turalyon
11-05-2009, 13:49
It seems in order to get the body armor right, I would have to use Cadian torso and arms. How to make the helmet and legs/coat? The backpack looks like it could be adequately done with Kasrkin backpacks.

Ah, Codex Imperialis Guardsmen, great choice for veterans. I converted one of them from a Cadian once, it wasn't that difficult.

Torso and arms: used standard Cadian.
Legs: used standard Cadian with green stuff coat. Wasn't too hard nor time-consuming to scupult.
Helmet: Loyalist Space Marine helmet converted to look like this one (basicaly, I cut off the ears/ collar pieces and replaced it with prolonged green stuff helmet section covering ears and neck. Looked close enough).

When I'm back from work I'll try to dig for some picture of that conversion.

Galvatron
16-05-2009, 13:21
Okay, I'm back. I love frei zeit with my weekends. So on Thursday, the 14th, I ordered all of the parts to make what are for now called my "Codex Imperialis Troopers". When I come up with a name, I will let you know. I got a lot of inspiration from this thread: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193832&page=6 Thanks Brother Argos.

I decided on purchasing regular cadians (and a solitary Kasrkin online for his backpack). I found a Necromunda weapon sprue for sale online and snapped it up. I also ordered some Forge World Cadian heads with respirators. I'm going to use green stuff on each one to create the great coat effect. Rather than do this over and over again, and increase the likelihood of error not only through doing so many, but also through boredom kicking in, I have decided to replicate the leg portions by molding my modifications. I also want to mold the angled magazine lasgun from the necromunda sprue as I believe they are OOP. I view the molding supplies as an investment. I can either feel the pain now by buying it, or later by spending a bunch of money on green stuff and conversion bits. My up front deployed capital has doubled, but doing a nerdy proforma in excel shows that I'm actually saving money over the course of the army by doing it this way. On a per model basis, average costs decrease to about $3.21 per model if I do 80 troopers.

I have also decided on how I am going to field these guys. Bekenel, you're right. They scream veterans and grenadiers. Sir_Turalyon, you're also right, they do seem kinda high-tech. I have settled on high-tech mechanized heavy infantry. I know some people are going to think, "mobile heavy infantry you say? space marines will probably do it better and cheaper." Yeah, well, too many marine players as it is, and marines don't convey the kind of character that I'm going for. Besides, how better to be a part of the hobby than through conversion? Anyone can assemble.

I was mulling over the background last night before I went to bed. I was thinking they're from a Hive world (re-breather helmets) that produces large quantities of high quality laser weapons and devices. As such, the world is relatively wealthy and supplies their soldiers with the best kit. I want few to zero projectile weapons. I also want to use a lot of plasma and melta. So perhaps due to the world manufacturing a bunch of laser stuff, it could have decent relations with the AdMech. Therefore plasma weapons are more common. I wanted them to be the elite of the hive world's forces. Not cobbled together like large veteran formations seem to be in the fluff for other units, but rather troopers that go through a selection process and Schola Progenium difficult training before being shipped out as part of the tithe. This is project is extremely stimulating from an imagination perspective. What are your thoughts?

As for colors, I wanted to give them a nobleman's army feel. Reds, blues, golds, and purples are traditional colors that convey that. Looking at the picture, I was considering a crimson coat with gold trim, black armor with white markings. Traditional British hussar and dragoon colors if not in pattern. I was also thinking khaki drab coat with gold trim, dark brown or light grey armor, green leggings. I can't decide, what do you think?

Most of the stuff probably won't arrive until the middle of next week, so hopefully I can get the hang of this stuff over the course of next weekend and start a project thread.

Zoring
16-05-2009, 17:58
There's nothing wrong with being arrogant on the internet. Sweet part about it, free anonymity.

Also the man did have a point i'm pretty sure its nearly a requirement in hobbies like these to be a socially mal-adjusted manbaby. Ever been into a gaming store? Frightning!

As far as backpacks go, a cheap alternative will be the Vox-Casters, chop off all the antennas and things and you have an excellently servicable backpack/powerpack for your guard. Make a post in a buy/sell forum asking for donations and i'm sure you'll have spare voxes flooding in, i know i have plenty spares from my Cadian chaps.

Also im fairly certain that guardsman from our old second edition books has been specifically placed there to taunt us for years and years. Maybe one day we will have the plastic greatcoats we covet.

I think you should go with the Hussar coloured theme, even call 'em a Hussar Regiment, like the US Air Cavalry, fun.

Own any mil-surps? Not personally into modern firearms myself (even if our ridiclous gun laws down here in Aus would let us) but my other hobby is getting my hands on a nice SMLE or Mauser if i can.

Dr. Hellbeast
16-05-2009, 19:23
Expensive, and probably a lot easier to do on MS Paint than it would be in real life, but it does bear a fairly close resemblance to that old picture you posted. :)

Galvatron
16-05-2009, 22:38
That looks great! Just homologate the color scheme and it's nearly perfect. The gun is all that needs changing. This thread has helped me so much in pinning down what I'm going to do.

Heh, I guess I am a little arrogant, but you had to be where I used to work. As for man-babies, I think every man with an ounce of imagination has an inner child that sometimes just has to come out. I also think it's healthy to exercise this imagination. I don't know about socially mal-adjusted. Most gamers seem like really nice people. Yeah, sometimes you get some strange people. Heck, even my old gaming buddies from high school have all gone off and done their own things and work for a living, but they still get a game in from time to time from what I understand.

As for firearms, YES. I have a Russian '56 SKS with laminated wood stock. It was unissued. I'm glad I bought it when I did because at the time it was ~$270. Now Russian unissued in the US are going for almost $700!!! because of the Obama gun ban scare. It took me a full day to clean the cosmoline out of that thing. On really hot days it still sweats a little cosmoline. My grand collection is a CZ VZ.58, an SKS, an S&W M&P-15, a Ruger SR-9. and my latest is a SIG P250. I have been looking at a Surplus M1 Carbine through the US Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP), but I'm worried about the quality of the firearm I will get. SMLE's are soo cool, that and the Mauser are the two bolt action rifles that changed the world.

Zoring
17-05-2009, 05:05
Nothign wrong with being arrogant i reckon, fun to do i always think. (What do i mean i think, i know! hehe)

Ah yes, the SKS, one of the many firearms i'd like to own but can't. Always good to get a score like that however, one thing about these historical arms is that they keep going up and up and up in price. Good investment really (not that i would ever be able to part with any :D)

Also in regards to your M1, i reckon you should get one, regardless of the hoops. Provided the bore is in shootable condition, and the metal-work isn't pitted they can be fully restored to any condition you like and fairly easily. It's a great little home project and there's plenty of tutorials out there on sites like surplusrifle.com from what i hear you get a mistmatched rifle anyhow so your not hurting any historicalness by refurbishing one up.

Mauser's are lovely rifles, most wide-spread firearm prior to the AK. I've got 5 of them 2 SMLE's and a few others.

That conversion does look pretty nice. But like the man said, quite difficult and expensive. 2x Metal figs being sawed in half. Plus replacing the rifle if you prefer, going to be a toughie.

A better option may be to do head swaps on the Vostroyan troops. They have a similar archaic look to the Codex Imperialis guardsman and with the right paintjob will look pretty nice. But the heads are very distinctive. Like people have said pig-iron or westwind do head sets which are to scale with GW stuff. Would look nice. Whatever you decide keep us updated with a painting log.

Also incredibly crude Paint from the work PC.
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1364/63580961.jpg (http://img51.imageshack.us/my.php?image=63580961.jpg)

Dr. Hellbeast
17-05-2009, 09:54
That conversion does look pretty nice. But like the man said, quite difficult and expensive. 2x Metal figs being sawed in half. Plus replacing the rifle if you prefer, going to be a toughie.

A better option may be to do head swaps on the Vostroyan troops. They have a similar archaic look to the Codex Imperialis guardsman and with the right paintjob will look pretty nice. But the heads are very distinctive. Like people have said pig-iron or westwind do head sets which are to scale with GW stuff. Would look nice. Whatever you decide keep us updated with a painting log.

Yeah, you're right, Zoring. A straight head swap on the Vostroyans would look pretty sweet. I reckon these FW Elysian respirator heads could add some flair. An easier conversion job, to boot:

Cal585
17-05-2009, 10:20
Now that's a sweet Guardsman. I really get an Arctic feel from that picture, with them all rugged up/sealed.
Tempted to try something like this myself, but nah, I've already got my army theme sorted.
I think the head will be the hardest part to match. The helmet is extended, and slopes out from the eyeline. I suppose you'll just be using Cadian respirators?

Anyway I can't wait to see what you do with this. Should be a joy to watch.

Zoring
17-05-2009, 10:57
I think you have it Hellbeast, that would be incredibly cool.

Klam
17-05-2009, 15:28
Yeah, you're right, Zoring. A straight head swap on the Vostroyans would look pretty sweet. I reckon these FW Elysian respirator heads could add some flair. An easier conversion job, to boot:

Rnice but won't make it like in your photoshoped pic. Vostroys are like Cadians meaning "big" when FW minis (DKOK, Elysians, Tallarn...) are truescale compared Space Marines. Here those Elysians heads would be small maybe even really small on Vostroyan body. Nice try tho :)

Dr. Hellbeast
17-05-2009, 15:43
Rnice but won't make it like in your photoshoped pic. Vostroys are like Cadians meaning "big" when FW minis (DKOK, Elysians, Tallarn...) are truescale compared Space Marines. Here those Elysians heads would be small maybe even really small on Vostroyan body. Nice try tho :)

Hi, Klam.

I dunno. I have one of the respirator heads mocked up on my standard GW Stormlord commander at the moment and it still looks pretty good scale-wise.