PDA

View Full Version : advice on what to buy

Bathawk
09-05-2009, 17:42
hey all, monday is my b-day, and thought I would splurge on getting a gift, though not sure what to buy

on one hand there's the Chaos Demon Battleforce, comes with the codex, and I have something I can "branch out" into fantasy later on for $210.00

But not sure when I'll play demons, after all, was planning on moving on to Imperial guard or Tau...Demons would mainly give me something to paint

on the otherhand, I was thinking of getting the WHFB hardcover, wood elves army book, and wood elves battleforce for about $160

it's cheaper, give me plenty to read and paint, but right now I'm only thinking of paying Fantasy (still a 40k'er at heart, and why I'm posting this here

if I'm indecisive the cheaper option seems the smarter one...then again, WS5, invulnerable save, power weapon wielding bloodthirsters sound so cool

Maidel
09-05-2009, 17:45
To be honest - if you are unsure as to which game to play the daemons seem to be the best option. Base em on the fantasy bases and im sure most 40K players wont object - or be clever about it and im sure you can make them transferable from base to base (magnetic bases sometimes work.

Frep
09-05-2009, 17:53
I concure with Maidel, basing your demons on fantasy bases is a good idea, it lets you play both games and its also totally legal in 40k, despite what some people say. The square bases are infact slightly larger than the round bases so you follow the rule of "basing on something as large as what the model came supplied with." Just remember no where in the rules are you required to use round bases for 40k

chrismp_123
09-05-2009, 17:53
To be honest - if you are unsure as to which game to play the daemons seem to be the best option. Base em on the fantasy bases and im sure most 40K players wont object - or be clever about it and im sure you can make them transferable from base to base (magnetic bases sometimes work.

I am a huge fan of getting the most out of everything! If you want to play fantasy and 40k and dont mind dropping a little extra, I think in the long run you would br better off going with the deamons.

I dont know what site it is (Im sure someone could point you in the right direction) but you can get 100 extremely small magents for like $6. You could easily switch out your models from round to square bases and with all the models being magnetized they would be less likely to break.

I hope this helps. In the end you really need to get what you want. Whatever makes you happier or whatever you will get the most fun out of should be your pick.

Slaaaaaanesh
09-05-2009, 18:14
Where are you buying your models from because these guys seem to be the cheapest on the web: Wargames empire

https://www.wargamesempire.com/shop/page/1?sessid=50ybCsMhIlesWMDclR2EvZdJBw6vkg5nm3EpEMb4d qspz8XvXDjaMrdQPNTpuWKi

They are based in the Uk but ship worldwide for low cost. I've used them a lot and had no complaints.

Inline with your origional post, I think that you should go with demons as you can use them for two systems and there are even more new plastics (rumoured nurgle plagubarers and seekers of slaanesh and a plastic daemon prince) coming out soon.

plus you can proxy say bloodletter models as warriors of chaos using the respective rule book for a fresh approach army without having to outlay more money for models. That what I'm doing but instead the other way around ie warriors of chaos as bloodletters, chaos knight models as khorne flesh hounds etc.....

Hope my ramblings have helped.

JCOLL
09-05-2009, 18:18
I've based my daemons on round bases for use in 40K and Fantasy. When you play Fantasy it's easy to slap 'em onto a regiment base and they're pretty easy to magnetize. The ones GW sell are great, but pretty easy to just make yourself with a spare cookie baking sheet and small magnets under the bases. I've had no complaints.

Bathawk
10-05-2009, 06:06
guess the demons have it

BuFFo
10-05-2009, 06:12
Yeah, Demons all the way.

Just remember.... try not to have a heart attack after you realize how over powered they are in Fantasy, only to have them be total pants in 40k.

Good luck.

And Happy Birthday! May all your miniature dreams come true!

Kalec
10-05-2009, 06:42
only to have them be total pants in 40k.

There are many things I wish to say that would get me more notifications then I already have, so I am simply going to say that you are wrong. Please enlighten yourself before posting again.

Bathawk
10-05-2009, 07:25
umm ok may have t start another thread do demons suck or not suck in 40k?