PDA

View Full Version : A thank to the GW gods: new Cadian Command box

Eulenspiegel
09-05-2009, 20:20
This is me being fanboyish.

The new Cadian command box with its two sprues is INCREDIBLE!

I bought one and am very tempted to buy another one just for the random bitz.
Itīs not only worthwile for the Command Squad bits you get, but even more so for the random ones:
- plastic meltagun and plasmagun and a ******* heavy flamer
- one GREATCOAT
- characterful heads
- different, better sculpted legs
- different toro pieces (one of those will be my demoted officer sergeant)
- one sniper with cloak
- a powerfist and a bionic arm
- a freaking swagger stick!
- and a TON of other bits, wich will blend perfectly with your Cadians, making them all the more individual because theyīre sculpted differently

Iīm even tempted to get the Catachan Command box, just for its bitz and the conversion potential.

GO GW!
Now do this for EVERY army please.

[/fanboi]

Imperius
09-05-2009, 20:32
Are you serious? Its a waste of money in my opinion... The models are ugly and you don't get much for its value.

Arador
09-05-2009, 20:33
I think the truth lies somewhere in between.

Eulenspiegel
09-05-2009, 20:34
I donīt know about the acual plastic to euro ratio, but the bitz themselves I would have paid much more for.

Lostanddamned
09-05-2009, 20:39
No it isnt. It's terrible.

A whole load of the parts wont work properly, due to different types of sleeves (seriously, the officer and standard bearer have different sleeves to the line troopers), the special weapons have moulded designations, where no other model has this (using the marine heavy support designation too... :wtf:)

There are so few "choices" for the medic and the vox operator that you may as well not bother. And I dont know if you have noticed this but the power fist is on the right side, giving you no pistol options at all for the officer, and instar a chouce of a lasgun, chainsword, bandaged arm or swagger stick (2 of these are not legal choices, the other two) just looks silly. A platoon standard bearer (with the "less detailed" standard is limited to having his helmet off and being carried (and mismatching sleeves, one grippy and one loose), or if you want the sleeves to match; two illegal pistol options (plasma and bolt), or having thrown both arms forward to either point or fire his laspistol, as well as thrust the banner forwards - both of which look franly rediculous in my opinion. The regimental standard bearer is limited again to illegal or ridiculous options (Power fist/bionic arm and Power weapon, Swagger stick) or to the chainsword, reading a scrap of paper or arm in sling options.

The medic and vox operator are pretty much limited to a single pose each, either standing or kneeling.

I have two of the kit, and whilst at first I was overwhelmed by the number of components and choice, I rapidly rocketed downwards, past whelmed to being distinctly underwhelmed with the (cleverly disguised, but still) limited options of the kit.

The Catachan kit on the other hand, seems far better designed and looks much cooler (that boltgun arm is pretty cool)

Bloodknight
09-05-2009, 20:43
I am quite impressed and will buy one to build myself a Mordian Col. Straken ;)

Question, because I didn't clearly see that: is the banner embossed with Cadian iconography? I'd love to replace my admittedly ugly banner.

Eulenspiegel
09-05-2009, 20:44
Now, given those many negative responses, I feel I should say that Iīm in NO WAY CONNECTED TO GW, and I get NO MONEY WHATSOEVER out of posting this thread (or any other one for that matter).

The medic and vox operator are pretty much limited to a single pose each, either standing or kneeling.
What do you want, jumping vox operators? :confused:

Edit @ Bloodknight:
there are two banners, one left-handed, one right. Both are completely sculpted, design and all. I honestly canīt tell if itīs Cadian or Lilafurzkariertistan.

Lostanddamned
09-05-2009, 20:51
What do you want, jumping vox operators? :confused:

I quite wanted to give my vox operator maybe a pointing arm, or the arm reading from the scrap of paper, but these have the bizzare "blown out" sleeves, for no apparent reason.

I would also like to equip one of my medics with the bandage roll the kit comes with, and maybe another with something different - as GW has already made the kit with seperate arms, a single handed syringe, or bag of saline (as the metal one carries) wouldnt be to hard to sculpt, would it, that would be usable nicely with the lasgun held at rest.

I just feel that the kit is a set of metal models that have been plasticised and had a few "optional" parts thrown at them, with no plan on how they will look assembled.

Plus the hat with the cap and fully wrapped around shades looks rediculous.

Bloodknight:
The regimental standard - which is held in the right hand has a ruddy great cadian gate sculpted on both sides, but the other standard, in the left hand, has a generic Imperial Guardy sort of thing on both sides.

Khornies & milk
09-05-2009, 20:58
I'm with you Eulenspiegel as I like it as well, but more for the conversion possibilities it creates throughout my entire IG army, not just the Command squad. I'm making Al"rahem out of the kit for example.

As for the negativity...you get that with everything here on Whineseer, along with the positives of course.

Bloodknight
09-05-2009, 20:59
Generic Imperial Guardy sort of thing sounds good to me. I have no desire to shave one of those designs off, too much work.

Plus the hat with the cap and fully wrapped around shades looks rediculous.

There's a Rommel hat in there? Cool.

@Eulenspiegel: thanks for the laugh :)

Lostanddamned
09-05-2009, 21:12
I'm with you Eulenspiegel as I like it as well, but more for the conversion possibilities it creates throughout my entire IG army, not just the Command squad. I'm making Al"rahem out of the kit for example.

As for the negativity...you get that with everything here on Whineseer, along with the positives of course.

Yep I'm being negative about the command box. However were 5 extra regular cadians to be added, and the kit to be marketed as "Cadian Veterans" I would love it. It is an amazing upgrade sprue and some of the parts are awesome characterful (especially when combined with the wonderful FW Cadian upgrades), it just makes really waff command squads.

I love my Metal Cadian Command Squad, and I think I might add the FW Cadian Command squad (which would be converted with a little help from the plastic kit, as it contains neither a Medic or Standard Bearer) to my army to act as the two Company Commands, and then build up a Creed & Kell Command squad for the overall command, with the Master of Ordnance as Vox operator and so on, could be intresting.

But for now, the two plastic commands I have will make perfectly servicable (although not great) Company Commands.

Also, to prevent further accusations of whining, can I just say that this is the only part of the new IG releases that I disliked, and I stil bought two of them because I needed them.

Bloodnight - I would say that the cap is less of a Rommel cap (which would be awesome but a Cadet cap, and the only reason I dislike it is that the shades/goggles are pooly sculpted and seem to be part of both the hat and face of the model)

Imperius
09-05-2009, 21:14
The Catachan one doesn't look too bad, I don't have it buy looking at the sprues on the rumour thread its way better than the cadian one.

Wait, I didn't mean that. I mean WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better.

Lord Wasa
09-05-2009, 21:35
I faced the problem with different sleeves too, but I succeded in fixing it. just swap the hands, it is a simple cut with a knife. If all else fails, use some gs too!
The heads I feel didn't quite suit my picture af my command squad, but I'll place them on some sentinel drivers. as for standard, medic and vox operator, I will not be using either, but there seemed to be multiple (fine) options, might be wrong though.

I love plastic for one reason. GW never does something I don't want to improve or customize, and it gets so much simpler with plastic than metal :)

Mannimarco
09-05-2009, 21:43
that other standard (not the cadian gate one) looks a lot like the cadian 7th from the last codex, the guy carrying it also looks like hes been modelled as the guy from the pic in the last book, anybody else notice that?

Lostanddamned
09-05-2009, 21:54
that other standard (not the cadian gate one) looks a lot like the cadian 7th from the last codex, the guy carrying it also looks like hes been modelled as the guy from the pic in the last book, anybody else notice that?

What page? I have had a quick flick through and I cannot seem to find any reference to the cadian 7th...

freddythebig
09-05-2009, 21:58
I have bought one of each of the Cadian and Catachan Command baxes and am still thinking about how I will use which will probably entail also utilising my overflowing bits boxes.
For me the issue with them is not with the contents of the boxes themselves but with the idea that you can buy them to get the special weapons that I feel should have been included in the repackaged troops boxes.

shutupSHUTUP!!!
09-05-2009, 22:13
He means the artwork of the Cadian 7th/8th charging forwards with their banners, the secondary banner does seem based on that pic.

I'm reasonably satisfied with the Command Squad. I would have preferred a few more arm and head options to kit out my sergeants with. The power fist looks like the wear might shatter their own arm if they hit anything with it.

Treadhead_1st
09-05-2009, 22:16
I was a little disappointed by the Catachan box. I picked it up as I really, really wanted the Catachan flak armour torso (with a bare chest beneath it) for my Straken conversion.

No dice, because the torso was attached to a pair of legs and I didn't trust my knife to cut it away without damaging it. Don't like the "baby-mitten" look of the Powerfist neither (fortunately I have a few metal ones lying around).

I'll be picking up the Cadian kit, mainly for the bandage arm. It's the small bitz I'm interested (and the Rommel-style head for my Rommel-inspired Tank Commander), not the actual kit as a whole (because most of the options are far too costly in-game).

Lostanddamned
09-05-2009, 22:16
He means the artwork of the Cadian 7th/8th charging forwards with their banners, the secondary banner does seem based on that pic.

I'm reasonably satisfied with the Command Squad. I would have preferred a few more arm and head options to kit out my sergeants with. The power fist looks like the wear might shatter their own arm if they hit anything with it.

Yes, it does rather - having actually seen it now, it is very obvious...

Also I like the look of the short sleeved Cadian uniform

Splagbot
09-05-2009, 22:30
I have to admit to being rather impressed with it, with some small conversion work it can be made more practicle, though I do have to admit to complaining somewhat that no-one seems able to shoot their guns left handed in the 41st Millenium.

Khornies & milk
09-05-2009, 22:34
I have bought one of each of the Cadian and Catachan Command baxes and am still thinking about how I will use which will probably entail also utilising my overflowing bits boxes.
For me the issue with them is not with the contents of the boxes themselves but with the idea that you can buy them to get the special weapons that I feel should have been included in the repackaged troops boxes.

Now that I didn't know about as I bought my 20 bix Cadians before they wre cut...that's pretty poor of GW to do that, greedy SoB's.

Mind you I have plenty of spare Plasma Guns/Meltaguns in my Bitzbox, although they are SM ones, but they are the same size.

Murrithius
09-05-2009, 23:03
The catachan box has plenty of left hand gun arms, without the gun attached!

And the respirators in the cadian box are pretty cool too.

Splagbot
09-05-2009, 23:12
The catachan box has plenty of left hand gun arms, without the gun attached!

This is indeed true, I bought both the Catachan and Cadian boxed sets and will be combining the two kits to make a super awesome command squad of doom.

zoggin-eck
09-05-2009, 23:41
I would also like to equip one of my medics with the bandage roll the kit comes with, and maybe another with something different - as GW has already made the kit with seperate arms, a single handed syringe, or bag of saline (as the metal one carries) wouldnt be to hard to sculpt, would it, that would be usable nicely with the lasgun held at rest.

No, it wouldn't be that hard to sculpt, so do it yourself!

Seriously, you get a new plastic kit with all sorts of options that can be combined with ordinary guardsmen. I don't see the sleeves being such an issue, but it's easy enough to fix.

RichBlake
09-05-2009, 23:49

A whole load of the parts wont work properly, due to different types of sleeves (seriously, the officer and standard bearer have different sleeves to the line troopers), the special weapons have moulded designations, where no other model has this (using the marine heavy support designation too... :wtf:)

The different type of sleeves are supposed to depict seniority. It's possible to buy two kits and make a command squad where everyone has the sleeves, but really you can just cut the hands off with a sharp knife or a GW saw (it's what i use anyway).

The special weapon designation thing is kinda cool. It's only sucks because no-one else in my army has those arms. Considering though that only my Veterans will be using the Command Squad ones I'll just make up some excuse. My main gripe with it is that it's on the right arm, which is where the Cadian Gate symbol is supposed to be...

There are so few "choices" for the medic and the vox operator that you may as well not bother.

Not really, I could use the laspistol and Chainsword arm and thats me with a Medic who is clearly armed with Laspistol and CC weapon. Give him arms out of the Cadian box set and he's a medic with a lasgun... Same things go for the vox operator. Yes the "default" positions are pretty much unmoveable but still.

And I dont know if you have noticed this but the power fist is on the right side, giving you no pistol options at all for the officer, and instar a chouce of a lasgun, chainsword, bandaged arm or swagger stick (2 of these are not legal choices, the other two) just looks silly.

Only the lasgun is ilegal, you can swap your laspistol for a power fist for some reason.

This did really annoy me too, my officer has the Cigar smoking head, the power fist and the arm holding the orders. The other thing that annoyed me is WHY THE HELL does the power fist have Kell's sergeant stripes on it? I couldn't be bothered to file them off in any case though.

A platoon standard bearer (with the "less detailed" standard is limited to having his helmet off and being carried (and mismatching sleeves, one grippy and one loose), or if you want the sleeves to match; two illegal pistol options (plasma and bolt), or having thrown both arms forward to either point or fire his laspistol, as well as thrust the banner forwards - both of which look franly rediculous in my opinion. The regimental standard bearer is limited again to illegal or ridiculous options (Power fist/bionic arm and Power weapon, Swagger stick) or to the chainsword, reading a scrap of paper or arm in sling options.

My standard bearer is carrying the Cadian 8th style banner with a Chainsword in the other hand and looks OK in my opinion. The plastic standard is a blessing, my current one keeps chipping :(

Could say that about any guardsman....

I have to say I really like the kit and think it's one of the better additions to the Imperial Guard. I made out of it:

1 Heavy Flamer
1 Meltagun
1 Standard bearer with laspistol and CC weapon
1 Medic with laspistol & close combat weapon
1 Officer with Laspistol and CC weapon (swagger stick)
1 Officer with Power Fist

Next time I buy a kit (and i probably will) I'll be making another Meltagunner then a bunch of veteran sergeants I think.

I'm also planning on making a commssar carrying a red flag. Why? Because I can :p