PDA

View Full Version : A funny little piece i heard on Radio...

gitburna
22-12-2005, 17:28
Yes, i was sat listening to the radio at work today, and i heard a piece talking about "Strange items on lists for presents at christmas"

And what do you suppose made it onto the list and was mentioned about 5-6 times during the 5 minute segment?

Tyranid Warriors !! They walked through town asking people if they'd ever heard of these items and then explained at the end it was "A figure used in games playing"

Yes, i have been major bored at work today, but it still made my ears prick up

Phyros
22-12-2005, 18:09
Did they pronounce it right? While working in a LGS I've heard people ask for "Trinidad Warriors" and one guy wanted to know if we had any "Thal-roids". I proceeded to tell him, "Yes we do have Tyranids" and he went on about needing some "Thal-roids".....same pronunciation after I emphasized the correct way :rolleyes:

Insane Psychopath
22-12-2005, 18:16
My local GW just get people asking "Do you have (insert PS2 game) here" staffer: "sorry we do wargaming, but if you go down the road" person "Aye but do you sell any (insert PS2 game) here"

For Space Marines, you get the people calling them Space Cadets :rolleyes:

IP

damz451
22-12-2005, 20:22
i was in my gw store buying a few stuff and an older couple came in asking if they had xbox 360's or ps2 games, the staff told them it was a wargames store... they left and then another person came in and asked again, guess the name of the store kinda misleads ppl

Frecus
22-12-2005, 20:25
Storenames misleading? What about my local independant called:
Bookers & strippers:D

Ok, they're originally a comic book store, but it still sounds weird.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Easy E
22-12-2005, 20:35
I can imagine the look my wife would give me if I said, "Yeah, I'm headed done to Bookers & Strippers for the night?"

On topic: That is one of the reasons I never ask for specific Warhammer related things for Christmas. I know my family would have no idea what I was looking for or wanted. The wife could handle it, but it's a habit I haven't been able to break.

Acolyte
22-12-2005, 20:54
When it comes to 40K-related gifts, I just tell people to get me a gift certificate to whatever my local gaming store is. It saves the trouble of them walking in and confusing the employees with questions like 'Do you have any...uh...Graveyard Earth? What about...uh...Kroots*?'

*Yes, I know the plural of Kroot is Kroot. However, I know that my parents don't, as evidenced by the redshirts at my formerly local GW telling me the rather funny story of my parents trying to get me GW stuff for Christmas. They just gave up and got a gift card instead.

Norminator
22-12-2005, 20:58
I just give them links for any products I want (on the GW website).

A funny occasion happened in my Geography class - on discussing Christmas our geography teacher said he hated it. Why? Because his son got warhammer and our teacher always ended up supergluleing his fingers together trying to build them.

And the number of time I've heard people calling them 'Warhammers'!

Melchor
22-12-2005, 21:05
And the number of time I've heard people calling them 'Warhammers'!

I've done so myself on several occasions... :D

It does sound kinda cute doesn't it? :rolleyes:

RampagingRavener
22-12-2005, 21:07
Oh yes, "Warhammers" is commonly used here as well. Still, rather interesting to here about getting mentioned on the Radio.

About people going onto a GW looking for other stuff, my Grandmother went into one expecting to find board games, chess sets etc...:rolleyes:

MrMojoZ
22-12-2005, 21:08
My in-laws went to the GW store near them to get me a Demolisher. I was suprised, my wife had got mixed and told them a Destroyer and the store fella apparantly figured out what I was after. They also learned to play LoTR while there it seems, heheh.

ArtificerArmour
22-12-2005, 22:13
My parents always call my figures "goblins".

"You painting your Goblins again?"

If I argued, I'd just look geeky...:(

Norminator
22-12-2005, 22:19
When I discovered some SM related Christmas presents, my mum said 'how do you know they aren't for me?' I said 'Cool, what chapter are you collecting?' to which she replied...

'Tau'

Bless her...

hootier
22-12-2005, 22:21
When my mom introduces me to new people, she invariably mentions this "really interesting hobby" that I have that involves "painting toy soldiers".

Christmas is coming up, and that means time with the family, which means new people to meet, which means new introductions.

The worst part? I'm thirty.

It's not like I EVER talk about Warhammer around my family. I'm not that much of a gaming geek at all. I have lots of other hobbies that I am equally as involved in, but she never ever introduces me as her son who "plays summer softball" or her son who "has two dogs and lives in Colorado" or her son who "works for the Missile Defense Agency". Nope, I play with toy soldiers.

Merry Christmas to you too, Mom.

Norminator
22-12-2005, 22:51
That reminds me how my little 1st cousin once removed calls my marines dolls...

CassiusDraconis
22-12-2005, 22:54
Heh, my nephews call my Space Marines "Army Men"

onnotangu
23-12-2005, 00:07
mine are simply the little monsters

PariahMagnus
23-12-2005, 01:02
It's good to know we're not the only ones who know of Warhammer 40k :P

Essia
23-12-2005, 02:25
I was playing a friend in a game store, as usual my fully painted Dark Angels were valiantly fighting the foes of the Emperor. A mum with a kid was browsing in the store and watch the game on the side. Suddenly she blurted out

"Look Timmy, don't the NINJA TURTLES look great!"

Well that certainly put a damper for the remainder of my game. Although I was not sure If I should thank her for her compliment (At least I hope it was), or to burn the witch for her blasphemies.

dean
23-12-2005, 04:11
Shoulda burnt her..

Wife calls my DA "little army men" But knows to ask best bud what I want. He used to own my local indepedent... Till his ex took it away. I dont play much now...

Crube
23-12-2005, 09:14
That is one of the reasons I never ask for specific Warhammer related things for Christmas. I know my family would have no idea what I was looking for or wanted. The wife could handle it, but it's a habit I haven't been able to break.

That's part of the fun. Sometimes i ask for stuff just to hear the stories that come out after Christmas :evilgrin:

I always refer to my models as Toy Soldiers. Gets the general idea across anyway. Little men is a popular one especially from wife and grandkids, althoug Mrs Crube did surprise me the other day when she came in from work

"So been painting love?"

"Yeah, managed to get a bit done"

" ah. Have you managed to get your treeman done yet? How about undercoating the wardancers you were going to do..."

Coulda knocked me over with a feather...

GodofWarTx
23-12-2005, 10:52
When my mom introduces me to new people, she invariably mentions this "really interesting hobby" that I have that involves "painting toy soldiers".

Christmas is coming up, and that means time with the family, which means new people to meet, which means new introductions.

The worst part? I'm thirty.

It's not like I EVER talk about Warhammer around my family. I'm not that much of a gaming geek at all. I have lots of other hobbies that I am equally as involved in, but she never ever introduces me as her son who "plays summer softball" or her son who "has two dogs and lives in Colorado" or her son who "works for the Missile Defense Agency". Nope, I play with toy soldiers.

Merry Christmas to you too, Mom.

Ouch! I would have just the gall to be like " oh hi there newcomer! welcome to the (insert fuction here)!Im glad you met my family. Yes, this is my mother (insert name here), she likes to drink before noon!"

>)

Astromarine
23-12-2005, 19:13
A few years ago I worked at my FLGS for about 4 months. They sold some Warhammer but primarily Magic cards, as it was during the boom of that game in my country. Anyway, during the time that I worked there, this one greasy-looking sleazeball, around 40 years old I'd guess, would come in to the store, look around, then come to me and ask me if we sold "Sex Movies". Now, keep in mind that the only thing the store had was a couple shelves for the booster boxes, the wall-o-blisters, and tables where around 10-20 kids aged 15-20 would sit and play cards. That guy managed to do the exact same thing at least three times that I can remember.

immortal99
23-12-2005, 21:24
That's part of the fun. Sometimes i ask for stuff just to hear the stories that come out after Christmas :evilgrin:

I always refer to my models as Toy Soldiers. Gets the general idea across anyway. Little men is a popular one especially from wife and grandkids, althoug Mrs Crube did surprise me the other day when she came in from work

"So been painting love?"

" ah. Have you managed to get your treeman done yet? How about undercoating the wardancers you were going to do..."

Next you'll find out she has a 6000pt army of Ogres or something :D and is actually a veteran.

starlight
23-12-2005, 21:41
....and you think it's a knitting circle she's going to on Tuesday nights:eek:.

Girls Gaming Night Out!:D

Acolyte
23-12-2005, 21:58
Heh, that reminds me. One of my old english teachers is a huge geek (We managed to confuse the whole english class by talking D&D in the middle of class, and had to stop because we were almost killing ourselves laughing so hard).
Anyways, I was killing some time in his class on the computers, since I was finished work. I was browsing the Online Store, checking out some Pathfinders. He comes over, leans over my shoulder, and says 'Don't bother with Pathfinders. Every time I've seen them played, they've been a huge point sink, and pain to use. Get some more suits instead.'
I just stared at him, he grinned and continued on.

MadJackMcJack
23-12-2005, 22:25

"So been painting love?"

Reminds me of a girl who started work with me a while back. We were talking about hobbies and interests, and she asked me about any arty ones.

"Well, there's this thing called Warhammer."

"Oh, what do you collect?"

"Er.....these guys called Tau."

"Really? With your temperament, I'd have thought you to be an Ork player."

Turns out she's an avid 'nid player, but I hadn't seen her before because she was in uni, and didn't play because it got in the way of her studies. Now we weird out all the groups that come in (my job involves working with random groups of people every 3 weeks) with our "nerd-fests" :D

Gavmo
24-12-2005, 02:46
I was told by my fiance this Christmas not to ask for anything "Warhammer." (Everything is considered Warhammer to her.)
She's surprised me a couple of times. One time i'd dragged her into GW and I was looking at a box of Catachans, and she walked up and said, "Why are you looking at them? You cant use them with your marines."
Though to counter-balance that, everytime she cant sleep, she gets me to tell her about 40k. She goes out like a light.

skuller
24-12-2005, 03:31
My wife has always call them "little monkeys" and every time I'm sorting them in squads she starts : "Are you going to start patting your little monkeys" and she would yell lthat everytime she has her friends visitng her. So as soon as I go to greet the visits the just look me with a raised brow or wont shake my hand. On top of that she has photographic memory but the attention span of a terrier, she knew I had catachans and when she found the steel legionares my answer was "Nahhh I just put a helmet and a mask to everybody and paint them difernetly" ...Ahh nice job sweetie. unfortunately she would not fall for tau/eldar.

blackroyal
24-12-2005, 10:02
Storenames misleading? What about my local independant called:
Bookers & strippers

Clearly you've never been invitied to the BACK room. :angel:

"Look Timmy, don't the NINJA TURTLES look great!"

That would be a cool way to paint four squads of troops. Do accents in Orange, Red, Blue, and Purple.
Or you could do HQ blue... I dunno about the rest.

my_name_is_tudor
24-12-2005, 11:56
My ex used to call them little monsters...

My mum calls them models, so that's ok.

My dad calls them exactly what they are, marines, orks, tau, whatever. He does a lot of painting himself, so he knows.

If I am called on to explain to someone I just call them toy soldiers, as has been said it gets the idea across easy, and that's essentially what they are.

I do get a bit tired of them being called 'warhammers', it's like calling the characters in Doom for instance, 'Dooms'

Malchek
24-12-2005, 12:21
While we're on funny little anecdotes about stores etc, I went to my local GW during my lunch break dressed in my suit and picked up a few models I needed - there was a new guy serving me (who should of known better) He said 'are these for your son sir?'
Of course I replied; 'no they're for me!?'

He then proceeded to invite me to the 'veterans' games nights which of course I already attend but which my girlfriend thought was hillarious - I'm only 26 and he was treating me like I was an old wrinkly! I've never felt so old - nor out of place in a gw store in my life ;)