PDA

View Full Version : Gene seed/organ implantation

eltanko
10-05-2009, 07:07
I have recently read a few of the BL books, and im confused?!! (not hard really)

In Dawn of war, it clearly states throughout an entire book that the implantation of the SM organs, is a long and excrutiatingly painful experience, where the initiate wishes he was dead etc etc

but now reading through the Blood Angels omnibus, it says that they basically just sleep in fluid for a year, whilst all the organs are implanted, and then they wake up completely changed, no pain, just a long snooze!

does each chapter do this a different way? like some kind of initiation?
or is it just typical BL fluff getting mixed up again?

ElTanko

TheBigBadWolf
10-05-2009, 09:25
Every Chapter is different, it depends on how old the chapter is, how good the techs are, the apothecarys and so on.

I imagine the BA would be good at it since they are a founding legion so should still be equiped with some of the best tech.

The Blood Ravens on the other hand dont know anything about their history etc. This would lead me to belive that they have lost or forgotten the proper way to implant the organs and are just doing it the best they can.

Iuris
10-05-2009, 10:24
Given the SM attitude to the whole process, I'd not be surprised if half the pain inflicted is intentional, to further "test" the new recruits...

Maidel
10-05-2009, 10:31
Hey the space wolves are even more wierd.

They invite the 'chosen warrior' to a feast - this is after he 'died' in a battle on fenris.

They force him to drink shed loads of ale and eat an entire deer.

Then wait for him to pass out. Dump him naked with a knife miles from the fang and wait for him to make his way back...

what they dont tell him is

A) where hes going
B) why in gods name they did this
c) The fact that while he was 'dead' they implanted the chapters gene seed into him
D) The fact that while hes naked and alone its really really going to hurt
E) if he doesnt move fast and hunt hes going to freeze and starve

AND

F) Just when you think it might be alright, you could be one of the unlucky ones with a dodgy gene seed and you just might turn into a soding wolf man, lose your mind and start chewing the scenery.

Mr_Rose
10-05-2009, 10:47

They invite the 'chosen warrior' to a feast - this is after he 'died' in a battle on fenris.

Then wait for him to pass out. Dump him naked with a knife miles from the fang and wait for him to make his way back...

A) where hes going
c) The fact that while he was 'dead' they implanted the chapters gene seed into him

AND

F) Just when you think it might be alright, you could be one of the unlucky ones with a dodgy gene seed and you just might turn into a soding wolf man, lose your mind and start chewing the scenery.
Except that none of that (except possibly the death in battle part) matches any of the established space wolf background, much less the several novels based on said background which go into far more detail.

Seriously, what? Where'd you get that from?

TheBigBadWolf
10-05-2009, 10:57
Mmm I think its all ok,

They get dumped from fang and told to find their way back, all the while their body is being wracked by the changes the geneseed and organs are having on them,

It was in the Old SW codex and their IA article IIRC

Mr_Rose
10-05-2009, 11:02
Except the "dumping" comes after survival training and testing, they are told what the objective is and finally the only thing that they get before completing the assault course is the Canis helix which is neither implant nor organ. The rest of the implants don't happen until they survive the gauntlet of Asaheim's native lifeforms.

eltanko
10-05-2009, 11:32

A) where hes going

AND

sounds like a stag do i went on!!!

ElTanko

mightymconeshot
10-05-2009, 15:59
I don't remember any of that space wolf fluff except the hunt part. And is without the geneseed and they are aware of why they are out there

Maidel
10-05-2009, 19:26
Except that none of that (except possibly the death in battle part) matches any of the established space wolf background, much less the several novels based on said background which go into far more detail.

Seriously, what? Where'd you get that from?

HAHA - im showing my age! thats all from the first 'codex' they ever got which was 2 months of nearly filling the white dwarf with only their stuff - its back in second edition.

I hadnt realised that any of it had been retconned - but trust me - find a copy of those white dwarfs - its back around 175 or so (or maybe even earlier tbh).

DapperAnarchist
10-05-2009, 19:54
I remember that from the SW codex in 3rd ed. - Except, I remember that they get the Helix first, then go on the hunt, then the implants. The Helix is effectively a test, to make sure they're worth giving the seed to.

Maidel
10-05-2009, 20:03
I remember that from the SW codex in 3rd ed. - Except, I remember that they get the Helix first, then go on the hunt, then the implants. The Helix is effectively a test, to make sure they're worth giving the seed to.

Yup - sorry, did I give any other impression. I was under the impression they gave the main 'gene-seed' which contains the helix and when he gets back he gets all the other organs - no sense in wasting them I suppose.

Phoenix Blaze
10-05-2009, 20:18
The Space Wolf novels just explain it through hard training and a period of barely contained bloodlust as the new organs change their bodies and introduce the beast within.

They are dropped outside of the Fang with little gear and told to find their way back. Back in IA, I think prospective Astartes were just thrown into the wild for a night to see if they could survive. Actually, that could just be Fenrisians.....it was from a while back.

The Blood Angel sarcophogus (sp?) method has its risks. Sometimes the trainees can go insane in there and fall into a sort of Black Rage. They're a waste and put to death or maybe some other use if there even is one. Also, the Blood Angels may be a founding legion but they have royally messed up the system. They have the Blood Chalice (or something like that) which contains a small amount of Sanguinius' blood. Their Sanguiniary priests drink from it and therefore have an essence of Sanguinius within them. This blood is transfused to the prospective Astartes so all Blood Angels carry with them a little extra bit of Sanguinius. This could be a big reason as to why that damned Black Rage is still around and could explain the prophecy of the Angel Reborn. No chapter can create marines as well as they used to. Hell, Imperial Fists (and therefore Crimson Fists and Black Templars I'd think) cannot spit acid or go into suspended animation. Although they do have a cool quote concerning that to make up for their losses.

Even during the Crusade, no Legion except the Emperor's Children had all the organs working to full capacity (IA article).

Alessander
10-05-2009, 20:37
I have a few copies of the SW white dwarf fillers mentioned above, I think it's the same sole source on how Russ's armor was found in a temple of Horus in the Eye of Terror.

farmersboy
11-05-2009, 08:02
I think that the original description of the 19 implants can be seen as the ideal dating back from Pre-Heresy times - the STC for marines if you like - and that over time various changes and modifications have occurred within different chapters, be it due to chapter preferences and traditions, or due to lost technologies or genetic mutations.

Dont' forget, of course, that many of the BL authors seem amazingly ignorant of the earlier fluff, or just don't care...

Lord Malice
11-05-2009, 15:07
Space Wolves go through five trials before they are truly welcomed to the Chapter.

First they must come to the attention of the Wolf Priests through an act of courage and if selected are taken back to the Fang.

Then they must undergo The Questioning where many Space Wolves gather to question and test the youth. If they fail to give as good as they get at any point they are kept on within the chapter as a Thrall.

If they pass The Questioning then they must undertake the Feasting. A few implants are given just prior to this and the feast helps fuel the transformation into a Space Marine.

Next comes The Blooding where the Aspirant is dumped in the wilds of Asaheim a thousand miles from the Fang with nothing but a knife. He must survive the next few days, gorging on wild animals while his body is wracked by the changes the implants have upon him. Some never make it through this maddened bestial stage and die or become Wulfen.

The final stage is The Returning when the Aspirant must return to the Fang braving the elements and the various denizens that stalk the land. If he makes it back the Aspirant is welcomed into the chapter, swears his oaths and then begins receiving the rest of his implants and starts his real training.

Maidel
11-05-2009, 17:55
Space Wolves go through five trials before they are truly welcomed to the Chapter. ........... receiving the rest of his implants and starts his real training.

There we go - which is what I said - but much better than me:p