PDA

View Full Version : Discworld RPG, would you be interested?

TheSonOfAbbadon
22-12-2005, 18:00
I'm thinking of starting a Discworld RPG, I was just wondering how many people would actually join before I start.

Would you be interested?

Yin - Yang
22-12-2005, 18:40
I'd be interested, I'm a huge Discworld fan.

Any idea of the setting?

YY

TheSonOfAbbadon
22-12-2005, 18:47
Ankh-Morpork may be the starting point, or at least the gathering point. I'm not really sure of the quest yet, I have a couple of ideas but they're pretty big events and I'm not sure if I should mess with Discworld like that...

Thoume
22-12-2005, 20:20
Sure, I'm up for it. I'm re-reading Sourcery atm. I've only got a few of them and have been reading them in a not-so chronological order (at least they don't need the ones before the said book to make sense...)

Not sure about what character I'd be. Troll perhaps...

TheSonOfAbbadon
22-12-2005, 21:19
Ok, I'll wait for 2 more people to be interested, then I'll start it.

It's going to be called "Discworld Heros: Theft of the Octavo" guess what's gonna happen?

Adlan
22-12-2005, 21:41
Odd coincidence, I've just finished running a short gurps discworld Rp for a bunch of D&D friends. Good fun.

I don' think I'll take part but I am very intrested in this, I shall be reading with intrest.

TheSonOfAbbadon
22-12-2005, 22:11
I hope you decide to take part, we need a couple more people.

The classes you can be are:

Human-normal [anything not covered below, including guards and soldiers]
Human-barbarian hero
Human-wizard
Human-witch/warlock
Dwarf-warrior
Dwarf-blacksmith
Dwarf-other
Troll-any kind of troll [no moutains!]
Nac Mac Feegle-gonnagle in training
Nac Mac Feegle-warrior, theif, etc.

Um, yeah, that's all I'm allowing, elves, undead, vampires, werewolves etc. are a no-no.

Well, if you want to join, choose a name, age, gender, class, height and post up some background.

Adlan
22-12-2005, 22:21
Whens it set? As in what sort of section of the discworld series does it fit into?

Thoume
22-12-2005, 22:28
Troll-any kind of troll [no moutains!]

Can't think of anything original atm, so I'll probably be a bouncer like Detritus before he became part of the Watch (except he'd get dragged into whatever's happening as a sword-for-hire as the tavern he was working for was unusually quiet and had hardly any heads to knock together...)

TheSonOfAbbadon
22-12-2005, 22:32
Whens it set? As in what sort of section of the discworld series does it fit into?

Um, say, some time before the Discworld series happened? Say a few years before?

TheSonOfAbbadon
23-12-2005, 03:35
Sorry, I don't know the exact dates of anything...

This will be my character:

Name: Krool Wazzenjamma
Class: Human-Wizard
Height: 6' 1"
Appearance: Krool wears black robes with dark grey occult symbols on which matches his hat. He is thin, although not really that thin, he's not boney, he's just not as big as other people. He has black medium/short length hair that usually look very messy. He also has a black goatee that looks as if it wants to look like a proper evil goatee but needs a shave. Oh, and Krool has dull blue-grey eyes.
Background: Krool was the eighth son of an eighth son, and therefore became a wizard. He has risen to be a wizard of the 5th class, and is highly trusted by 7th level wizards. Well, not so much trusted as given quite a few of the more dangerous tasks by the 7th level wizards, as no one much likes him. He's rather untrustworthy, but the 7th level wizards trut him more than most other wizards as they're trying to constantly dethrone the 8th levels, the 6th levels are constantly trying to dethrone them, and levels 1, 2, 3 and 4 don't know what it's like to try and dethrone those above you whilst trying to keep your own throne from the hands of people who really know how to dethrone people, not that all wizards have thrones of course. Krool is also rather a cheapskate, and as such he has rather tatty robes and few decorative items in his room.

Although Krool can be untrustworthy and scheming, he also has alot of pride, and the 7th level wizards, when they have a task that needs doing, and they don't want to do it themselves because it's too damn dangerous, take advantage of this. Krool wants to be known as someone who made a difference in the world, and so takes up most of the challenges put before him. Although alot of the time he can seem dull, he is always planning how he can exploit you for his own gain, once people find this out, they rarely speak to him again unless they have to. As said Krool has quite a bit more pride than most wizards, and once said that if he's going to die he's going to die with his staff in one hand and a sandwich in the other, and therefore takes his staff on the more dangerous tasks the 7th levels give him.

marineowar
01-01-2006, 06:41
Ye ha' grabbed me notice.
Here's Wee Big Dan, I just hope I can write the accent right.

Name: Wee Big Dan
Class: Nac Mac Feegle
Height: 5 1/2"
Appearance: Blue skin with many (many) swirling tattoos done in black. They swirl so much that if you try to follow them your stomach swirls. Long red hair. His kilt has a black and red check pattern (which you could actually play chess on, if anyone's game enough to try and teach Wee Big Dan the rules). Instead of a single huge sword like most Nac Mac Feegle, Wee Big Dan has two slightly smaller swords, which, of course, glow in the presence of lawyers.

Bacground: Part of a small Nac Mac Feegle tribe which has taken up residence (and also taken many other things) in Ankh Morpork, Wee Big Dan joined up cause he heard "theivin'" mentioned.

TheSonOfAbbadon
01-01-2006, 07:02
Yay! Well, I suppose we only really need one more person to make a small quest group... thingie.

Do you have a decent story why you're trying to find the Octavo, marineofwar? I can think of a good one for you to do so, but I don't want to tell you unless you're stuck for one.

Pillx
01-01-2006, 21:05
I'd be interested but I've only read the first 2 books years ago so I would likely have to make a human. If anything, the character would play the "straight man."

Did they ever make a Disc World paper RPG? I seem to remember a computer version at some point...

Cpt. Drill
02-01-2006, 00:21
If you are still looking for people.... I would be intrested... but i havent read any books scince my early child hood... so could only give you the barest back ground on Discworld.....

TheSonOfAbbadon
02-01-2006, 02:45
I'd be interested but I've only read the first 2 books years ago so I would likely have to make a human. If anything, the character would play the "straight man."

Did they ever make a Disc World paper RPG? I seem to remember a computer version at some point...

Yeah, there were quite a few Discworld games, Discworld, Discworld 2: Missing Presumed...? etc.

I don't know alot of the background but this is the basis of what I know:

Actual magic is hard and takes alot of preparation, witches don't use actual magic some of the time but are good at herbology, making do with what they have, and what they call 'headology' [I forget what it actually is].

Certain things can trap and give off magic, mainly things made of sapient pearwood [a tree so rare because it only grows where huge amounts of magic were used during the Mage wars] and octicron [a metal]. The number of magic is 8 because it's the 8th colour in the spectrum [it's apparently a fluresent yellow-purple]. Octagonal shaped things can be used to absorb magic/draw magic in. Only magic-using people [wizards, witches etc.] can see the 8th colour, the colour of magic. They can also see Death, as can cats. Uncontrolled magic given off by large spells, or many small spells, can do things like distort dimensions [as in the Unseen University library, where the books are sometimes on the ceiling] and distort shapes [as in the Unseen University, where you were lucky if you woke up the same shape as you went to sleep with].

There's a big mountain range going across the Discworld called the Ramtops, at one end there's the kingdom of Lancre and the Chalk, at the other is Ankh-Morpork and the surrounding area. On the other side of Ankh-Morpork is Krull. The water of the world is laid out so there's a big ocean around most of the edge and a big sea in the middle with a large stretch of water connecting it [so the land is in kind of a 'C' shape]. In the middle of the sea are many islands such as the Brown Islands and Djelybebia, on the side of the opening of the central sea out into the outer ocean opposite to the side with Ankh-Morpork on has a large desert/is a large desert.

There are many dimensions exsisting beneath the Discworld, such as the Elven Dimension and the Dungeon Dimensions.

Trolls are made of rock and have diamond teeth, they cannot move in sunlight and appear as weirdly shaped rocks.

Dwarves love gold and can always sense when something is gold, they are obviously short, and get very riotous when in a city away from home.

Elves are nasty and have few emotions if any.

Nac Mac Feegles are small, like to steal, drink and fight, are blue, are covered in tattoos, and are incredibly strong, they also feel words have magical powers and their swords glow blue in the presence of lawyers [some Feegles have actually become lawyers in some clans].

That's really all I know, if you need to know anymore, Wikipedia.com knows EVERYTHING.

Pillx
02-01-2006, 23:46
I may have a map somewhere of Discworld. I'm not sure. I'll have to look around. I hope I still have it somewhere...

Pillx
03-01-2006, 22:54
Oh well. I'll find the map when I'm actually in better shape to be digging about a pile of old dusty things...

There's a guide on the right hand side with good information here:
http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld/

Here's a character I proposal:

Name: Mari Wiglingot
Class: Human - Scrappy Kid
Height: 4' 4"
Hair: Chesnut
Eyes: Gray
Appearance: Mari's hair reaches just past the bottom of the shoulder bades and is often worn either tied low or wrapped high out of habit. She's well muscled and definitely stronger than kids should be at her age though she doesn't look it at glance.
Breif Background: Mari is the daughter of a swordsmith and has picked up a little bit of the trade. She doesn't practice it often beyond polishing and sharpenning as she spends a lot of her time maintaining the small cottage she and her father live in at the edge of their small town. She's been made tough with hard work and has earned a reputation for being quite good at Cripple Mister Onion.

TheSonOfAbbadon
03-01-2006, 23:27
Oh, that character might have a hard time being tied into coming on the quest. Does she live in Ankh-Morpork or somewhere else?

Pillx
04-01-2006, 01:36
I left it open for easy placement. I figure something can happen to dear old dad and/or the house to get the tie in.