PDA

View Full Version : 40K models/box sets that annoy you.

dala_karn
10-05-2009, 10:55
ever bought a box set and find out that it doesn't supply enough of one set of weapons or just the model itself is too flawed to assemble correctly? this is what this discussion is here for so post up yours.

just recently i bought the scout marine box set (standard set not sniper) and found that has the following.

1 heavy bolter
4 shot guns
4 bolters
5 bolt pistols and close combat weapons.

and because the bolters and shotguns share the griping arm i can't have 5 marines with bolters or shotgun from the box set requiring some converting. its like they expected that every gamer would assemble the sergeant with a bolt pistol and close combat weapon or have a heavy bolter in the goup. so people who may only want 5 scouts won't be able to have a full bolter/shotgun squad if they want to.

also the old metal heavy bolter deverstator, the ammo belt always fell short on my model and a friend's model.

ehlijen
10-05-2009, 11:04
Snip the pistol off a pistol arm and replace it with a shotgun. Done. If you want to you can also do that with the sword and have a double shotgun seargeant.

The old devestator box had a different problem (I didn't encounter the ammo belt one):
It had one(!) of 4 different heavy weapons. So a) it did not even included all of the heavy weapons the unit had access to (MM wasn't in there) and b) you could not focus on one role for them.

dala_karn
10-05-2009, 11:16
oh i'm not saying converting won't solve the problem, i'm saying the box set should of been supplied with enough of them. it also got me thinking does the sniper set come with only 4 rilfes?

EDIT: oh and i'm using the scout for traitor stormtroopers :D

DaSpaceAsians
10-05-2009, 11:45
The Guard tanks and the pain in the backside of building their tracks.

EldarBishop
10-05-2009, 11:53
Rhinos (and everything based on Rhinos). They all come with ONE Stormbolter/TLBolter. So, what if you wanted to have TWO of them??

Vehicle turrets/sponson (pretty much ALL of them). It'd be nice if you could assemble ALL of the options, and then swap them around as needed without having to resort to conversions, magnets, etc to solve the option of having multilple weapon choices avaible. (Though some of the newer kits are getting better, at least at providing you with all the options).

Warfare
10-05-2009, 11:54
I'm sure this has been covered before, but it opens a huge can of worms regardless.

CSM Devastator box is still horrible - same problem with 4x diff weapons.
CSM Factions get no love - no special weapons blister available for Deathguard anymore for example. Although this is the case for a lot of things now.
Tank tracks are bad I guess but you just use trackguards and cover them up.
The fact that you had to buy a specific sentinel to get each weapon - at least they've fixed this one (and well I might add!)

Poseidal
10-05-2009, 12:04
Rhinos (and everything based on Rhinos). They all come with ONE Stormbolter/TLBolter. So, what if you wanted to have TWO of them??

Don't loyalist Rhinos only get the option of taking only one Storm Bolter?

EVIL INC
10-05-2009, 12:06
Every time I bought a pack or box from GW or from a retailer carrying the GW product, I have had no issues with getting it replaced.
I HAVE had trouble dealing with someone online though. I made a trade with Nightlord ( http://www.bartertown.com/trading/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=75 ) on BArtertown where we had made a deal. In the deal, I sent him a buttload of old metal marauders without the flail heads. He was informed of this and because of this, he was only going to send me a complete assault marine unit set rather then the extra stuff I would have otherwise asked for. Instead of getting the complete assault marine set, he cut off all the parts he wanted from the set which included the upgrades for the sarge and the heads for the 4 "troopers".

EldarBishop
10-05-2009, 12:23
Don't loyalist Rhinos only get the option of taking only one Storm Bolter?

Nope, they come standard with a Stormbolter. Then you have the option to upgrade it to have a SECOND Stormbolter.

Poseidal
10-05-2009, 12:26
Nope, they come standard with a Stormbolter. Then you have the option to upgrade it to have a SECOND Stormbolter.

I never noticed this!

I really over looked that in the codex.

d0dgeuk
10-05-2009, 12:32
Yeah it is very handy for a second weapon destroyed result

Born Again
10-05-2009, 12:35
If you get the nobz box and give them all kombi-weapons they make great Flash Gitz... oh, wait, there's only 3 kombi-weapons in a box of 5 models. This then causes problems for the Kaptin Badrukk model, seeing as he's an upgrade for Flash Gitz units. Double fail.

Blue Orphen
10-05-2009, 12:44
Plastic Eldar Guardians.

Hey, let's make an 8 point "hordey" troops choice with 9 individual pieces! Oh, and make sure that the legs need to be glued together at the hips!

Also, new marine plastics that have contact points on flat or curved surfaces.

Rockerfella
10-05-2009, 12:52
tell you what upsets me. Eldar war walkers boxed set. Maximum squad size: three. They come in a box of two. So, if you want a full sized squad, you have to buy two boxes.

Way to go GW. Thanks for taking me to the cleaners again. Like the profit margains aren't big enough on their mini's already!

*hoof*

Cuchulain84
10-05-2009, 13:08
I can't seem to get a Dark Eldar raider to fit together.

Giganthrax
10-05-2009, 13:19
Space Marine Tactical Squad box, for some reason, has no power fist in it. I had to use terminator powerfist arms from AoBR. :/

Also, what vehicle boxes do have dozer blades? I didn't find one in rhino boxes, and I didn't find one either in predator box. So where do you get your dozer blades?

ExarPucc
10-05-2009, 13:24
Not so much for the lack of sprue material, but the over abundance of it.

Space Marine Scout Bikes.

Seriously. WTF. How many weapon arms do they need? Sure you can custom the squad at lot. But 3 different weapon arms plus the 2 handlebar arms. This doesn't even go into the fact that yes, the unit does get shotguns in addition to the twin-linked bolter of the bike. It still just blows my mind and never made much sense why they had so much wargear.

Giganthrax
10-05-2009, 13:28

Seriously. WTF. How many weapon arms do they need? Sure you can custom the squad at lot. But 3 different weapon arms plus the 2 handlebar arms. This doesn't even go into the fact that yes, the unit does get shotguns in addition to the twin-linked bolter of the bike. It still just blows my mind and never made much sense why they had so much wargear.
You're annoyed that you got more stuff then you expected for your money? :wtf:

Griefbringer
10-05-2009, 13:39
tell you what upsets me. Eldar war walkers boxed set. Maximum squad size: three. They come in a box of two. So, if you want a full sized squad, you have to buy two boxes.

Well, in future they will probably cut down the number of walkers per box into one, while keeping the price per box the same...

Cane
10-05-2009, 13:41
1. Imperial Guard 10 man box. They didn't add anything to compensate for the price hike and when compared to their counterparts the boxset sucks since it doesn't offer the same amount of bitz or a suitable army list entry. A squad with just a flamethrower or grenade launcher? Maybe if I maxxed out on points and they're a suicide squad.

2. Imperial Guard tanks. So in the codex they come stock with a hull heavy bolter yet there's only two Heavy Bolters despite the common payload of a HHB and two HB sponsons. Tread assembly leaves a lot to be desired as well and screams ineffective and ancient design -- which it is. In the new codex all Leman Russ tanks can have multi melta and plasma sponsons however this is not possible in the current boxset. Hopefully the new tank kits resolve these issues.

3. New IG Command Squads. While its awesome that they include a boatload of bitz, it'd be nice if they also had a full squad of ten. Probably wouldn't help the price though.

MegaPope
10-05-2009, 13:43
Not so much a problem with box contents as the continual streamlining of the bits ordering service. At the moment the capacity to order most components has reached an all-time low, especially if you want to do so online.

Tell me, can you actually get better results by doing the old fashioned thing and phoning them instead?

Kulgur
10-05-2009, 13:44
Dark Eldar warriors: not very good models and you only get splinter cannons, no blasters, shredders or dark lances

Arodan
10-05-2009, 13:46
For me the worst is the witchhunter exorcist he has so many metal parts that should fit together but you have to do a lot of work to make them fit even the slightest bit and you will need a lot of green stuff if you want a perfect fit.
The finished model looks great so i guess it is worth the trouble.

d0dgeuk
10-05-2009, 13:50
Not an issue anymore but the metal hurricane bolters on the old LR Crusader boxset where an absolute nightmare

Born Again
10-05-2009, 13:51

Dark Eldar warriors: not very good models and you only get splinter cannons, no blasters, shredders or dark lances

yeah the dark eldar ones are a pain. Not so much the raiders but the warriors: the basic bodies go together ok but the "accessories", which consist nearly entirely of spikes, are small and fiddly to glue and end up looking too large and bulky for the thin, slender razor blades depicted in artwork.

Lord Humongous
10-05-2009, 13:56
Berserkers. The box set has 12 guys who (leaving out the old chainax rules) have no upgrades other than plasma pistols. Which means you have to get your Skull Champ upgrades from somewhere else. And none of the metal "world eaters aspiring champion" models come with any sort of upgrade you can't buy a basic berserker- they all have chainswords or chain axes! Which means, if you want a decent berserker squad, you have to find a power weapon (or, more likely fist) somewhere else- there's absolutley no reason to ever buy the metal models, except maybe collector interest.

STUPID. They need to throw in a bonus sprue that has a powerfist and power weapon, at least. I was lucky and mail ordered the old CSM weapon upgrade sprues (even got to pick the PF ones) but now they don't even sell (non terminator) powerfist bits! I'm guessing every new CSM player in the world has had to scrounge up at least one powerfist or power weapon somehow if they want to run berserkers.

EldarBishop
10-05-2009, 14:04

Well, my 5 Raiders (and 2 Ravagers) worked fine... perhaps you are doing something incorrectly.

Not an issue anymore but the metal hurricane bolters on the old LR Crusader boxset where an absolute nightmare

YES, that was one horrible model.

Bloodknight
10-05-2009, 14:04

Without the base, crew and optional spikes that model has a whopping 6 parts...although I noticed that it is easier to build if you cut the little whatsits from one side of the hull off that are supposed to fit in the holes in the other part of the hull. They don't really fit and make the hull sightly cleft. Cut them off, then it will fit.

Not so much the raiders but the warriors: the basic bodies go together ok but the "accessories", which consist nearly entirely of spikes, are small and fiddly to glue and end up looking too large and bulky for the thin, slender razor blades depicted in artwork.

Leave them off, the models look much better without.

Tarax
10-05-2009, 14:25
Unless they bring out a seperate model for the Vendetta, the Valkyrie has no options to take the extra two twin-linked Lascannon.

As for the LRBT, apart from not having a hull-mounted Heavy Bolter, the only have Heavy Bolter sponsons. But, if I read the WD correctly, they will be releasing a new box for the LRBT, hopefully with all the options in it, apart from the different turret- weapons.

eltanko
10-05-2009, 14:30
probably just me being rubbish at putting mods together, but SM bikers, i hate them!!! they look great, but i can never put them together right, the arms are never long enough, or the legs and the torso are miles apart from a straight fit, GRRRRRRRR

ElTanko

Tourniquet
10-05-2009, 14:35
The old Land raider crusader.
What. A. B[Edited by Inquisition].

Also would have to say Lootaz are annoying. 4 Deff gunz. 4 Flamers. 1 mek.
What if i just want 10 Lootaz? Means buying 3 boxes and having 5 Spare Models, of which 3 are mek's

Griefbringer
10-05-2009, 14:41
3. New IG Command Squads. While its awesome that they include a boatload of bitz, it'd be nice if they also had a full squad of ten. Probably wouldn't help the price though.

Well, for a platoon/company command squad the number of models sort of makes sense, since these squads are actually supposed to have 5 models (unless you add advisors, which are supposed to look a bit different from standard guardsmen anyway).

As for the Leman Russ, back when the kit came out in 1995 or so, the Imperial Guard codex did not provide much options for the choice of the armaments, and the kit reflected that. Options to choose hull weapon and sponsons only appeared in later editions.

qwertywraith
10-05-2009, 14:58
Emperor's Children Box.

8 Marines. 1 Sonic Blaster. 1 Blastmaster and a few metal heads, a sword, a backpack.

No upgrade sprues of any kind.

Kaltenberg
10-05-2009, 15:02
Chaos havocs.. already mentioned, why put in 1 of each weapon? And why all the metal? get rid of it!
And where are the powerfist for the champion?

Chaos Space Marine Terminators: Great models with lots of options.
But why only 1 of each? They need 5 of each!
And no ligthning claws?

And then the most used kombi weapon of the all: the kombi plasma. It not availeble at all, meaning in or to get the 4-5 kombi plasma's you will need, you have to be quite creative.

And then the lack of shoulderpads. With so many options, and different kombi weapons, they need more shouldpads to cover the different arms they will need.

apart from that, any metal figures.

blackroyal
10-05-2009, 15:08

My beef with scout bikes is the lack of 3 bike box. I am not going to pay $36 USD for them. Maybe $30. The Ravenwing bike box is just too good of a deal. If I want bikes, that is how I buy them.

Pacific
10-05-2009, 15:20
I agree that the new 10-man IG boxset is slightly shameful. That 'massed horde' of IG troopers that the new codex seems to go on and on about is now more expensive than ever.

darius-god-of-biscuits
10-05-2009, 15:27
What about the Sister of Battle squad box? Nobody uses the sister with storm-bolter.

TheDarkDuke
10-05-2009, 15:29

Way to go GW. Thanks for taking me to the cleaners again. Like the profit margains aren't big enough on their mini's already!

*hoof*

wait i thought they only come in boxes of 1? unless the uk get boxes of 2.

as for boxes that annoy me i guess genestealers would be up there for 40k ( i wont do fantasy because theres so many of the damn things that annoy me there) only because they dont even give you any where near the amount of feeder tendril heads to make them actually look cool.

Imperius
10-05-2009, 15:49
VALKYRIE. Assembling it was a complete ***** because of the raise parts and one tiny slip with your plastic glue on to the 'glass' and its ruined forever.

Also Hormagaunts, surprised not many peopel remember this...

SharpSilver
10-05-2009, 15:57
10 Man box of CSM. One marine with a heavy Bolter option. The flat plates between the trigger/hand arm and HB are slanted and curved, therefore require either lots of patience, or a minor adjustment to be able to fit nicely in place, don't always fit nicely as indicated in the instruction manual, or by common sense. It might have just been a one off.

That's about it really from my pov.

Raibaru
10-05-2009, 16:32
Combi Weapons for Terminators.

Thousand Sons box set because the combo plastic+metal sets are just god awful.

Tau crisis suits because the bodies don't line up.

Chaos Defiler because the extra set of close combat weapons are UUUUHHHGGGGGLLYYY

Obliterators are just so damn ugly and all metal, and don't line up. Almost need to use greenstuff and epoxy to assemble instead of blue.

freddythebig
10-05-2009, 16:32
VALKYRIE. Assembling it was a complete ***** because of the raise parts and one tiny slip with your plastic glue on to the 'glass' and its ruined forever....

Something that I leaned from my scale modelling days is never use plastic glue on clear parts. Even if you do not get the glue on the canopies, the fumes can still produce 'fogging'.
PVA glue will hold clear plastic in place perfectly well. It dries clear and will not 'fog' the canopies like plastic glue will.

Askari
10-05-2009, 17:27
Gotta agree with the Hormagaunts... Having to weigh down every damn base is a pain.

dal9ll
10-05-2009, 17:29
Im extremely annoyed by the Noise Marines box set. I dont think I should have to explain why...

totgeboren
10-05-2009, 17:50
The loota/burna box is kinda funny. You get 4 burnas, 4 lootas, and a b.shoota, rokkit or kustom megablasta for the mekboy.

Only problem it that the kmb for the mek is on the left arm, and the b.shoota/rokkit is on the right arm, and the box does not include a left arm for holding the b.shoota/rokkit.

So it included half the parts needed to give the mekboy either a b.shoota or rokkit.

Thats kinda like including 5 right legs and 4 left legs in a box imo.

wolfslough
10-05-2009, 17:51
Most definitely dark eldar ravagers. Lining the two halves up perfectly still leaves the hole too big for the clear stand to squeeze in, therefore the raider is always lopsided. More importantly though, the lack of 3 disintegrators! wtf! I don't wanna pay 135 U.S. dollars for two flimsy ass bastard ravagers and a third with nine lances.

The worst model to own has to be the necron wraiths, biggest bitch to put together and when it falls on it's side, which is inevitable considering the big old metal hunch... well the second and third times don't make it easier

Kyrolon
10-05-2009, 19:09
I'll throw my entry into the ring.

Eldar Storm guardians.

They have a ten man minimum unit size (and have since 2006).
They are packaged in a box with eight guardian bodies, six sets of pistol CCW arms, one fusion gun, one flamer, and eight metal heads.
In order to field a unit you need at least two boxes (making for a $70 ten man unit) and don't have enough parts left for a second unit.

Compared to this, not getting the things for every single variant is a step up. I'd like to at least be able to field a minimum unit.

Cuchulain84
10-05-2009, 19:17
Without the base, crew and optional spikes that model has a whopping 6 parts...although I noticed that it is easier to build if you cut the little whatsits from one side of the hull off that are supposed to fit in the holes in the other part of the hull. They don't really fit and make the hull sightly cleft. Cut them off, then it will fit.

That's the trouble I was having. I'll try cutting them off.

Souleater
10-05-2009, 19:26
In terms of models...Hormaguants because they don't balance very well.

I was so please when the plastic ones were released. At last, no more unstable metal Hormies! Gaaah...

Kits...has to be Tyranid Warriors. Three models and only one set of Rending Claws.

SirSnipes
10-05-2009, 20:40
gaunts box

SharpSilver
10-05-2009, 20:43
Another one to add from experience are the tank tracks on Rhinos/Leman Russ/any Imperial tank. They never seem to fit together for me, end up having like a inch of track out of place or whatnot.

Templar Ben
10-05-2009, 20:52
The old LRC and the Speeders. It was like GW knew you wanted ass cans in 4th and wanted to make you earn them.

lequaye
10-05-2009, 21:32
SoB exorcist, big pile of metal, and no instructions on how to build the thing. :wtf: Once you think you have it you realise you need green stuff and will power to make it stay together! You cant pin the thing and when your friend drops it you have a pile of metal again :rolleyes:

Mind you its looks sweet when you finally have it all together. :)

rintinglen
10-05-2009, 22:31
for my two cents, the all time worst model has to be the Demon Prince Metal Modei--Lord, that thing was a buzzard to assemble. I used about half a tube of JB Weld and a Dozen pins to finally get it together I think I spent 10 evenings getting that thing together and painted.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
10-05-2009, 22:34
The stupid metal crystal for the fire prism, it always needs greenstuff, it always beds at the tip, it never glues onto the bit its supposed to glue onto easily.

All GW need to do is sell weapons individually and half of these problems would go away. I mean people would probably be willing to pay a fair bit for them and would be ordering like 5-10 at a time for squads etc. If I could buy say 5 meltas for 10 pounds or so then I'd do it even if they are only worth half that.

Plastic Parody
10-05-2009, 22:35
Something that I leaned from my scale modelling days is never use plastic glue on clear parts. Even if you do not get the glue on the canopies, the fumes can still produce 'fogging'.
PVA glue will hold clear plastic in place perfectly well. It dries clear and will not 'fog' the canopies like plastic glue will.

seconded - PVA is the way to go for clear plastic.

Lord Humongous
10-05-2009, 23:59
Bob Plisskin;3560294']All GW need to do is sell weapons individually and half of these problems would go away. I mean people would probably be willing to pay a fair bit for them and would be ordering like 5-10 at a time for squads etc. If I could buy say 5 meltas for 10 pounds or so then I'd do it even if they are only worth half that.

How about 5 for $6 US? (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1400031&rootCatGameStyle=) At current conversion rates, that should be about 4 British.

Capt_Jman
11-05-2009, 00:24
Half metal Broadsides. I find it really hard to get the metal rail gun to stick to the plastic body piece.

Mchagen
11-05-2009, 00:28
as for boxes that annoy me i guess genestealers would be up there for 40k ( i wont do fantasy because theres so many of the damn things that annoy me there) only because they dont even give you any where near the amount of feeder tendril heads to make them actually look cool.

I was going to start nids but I wanted to do them with this theme. This is one of the reasons why I never bought any.

I agree with many previous posters. Chaos has been probably the worst for not having options given in their box sets. But all armies have problems and for a game that's WYSIWYG, it's seriously lacking.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
11-05-2009, 00:40
How about 5 for $6 US? (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1400031&rootCatGameStyle=) At current conversion rates, that should be about 4 British.

Christ how blind am I? Seriously been looking for ages for them! Ok now I just need some money and to figure out how much shipping to NZ is. Oh and shame there's no flamers as well.

Corrode
11-05-2009, 02:12
Bob Plisskin;3560606']Christ how blind am I? Seriously been looking for ages for them! Ok now I just need some money and to figure out how much shipping to NZ is. Oh and shame there's no flamers as well.

To be fair though the flamers are pretty ubiquitous - they come in every basic Imperial infantry box that I can think of.

hush88
11-05-2009, 06:04
ever bought a box set and find out that it doesn't supply enough of one set of weapons or just the model itself is too flawed to assemble correctly? this is what this discussion is here for so post up yours.

just recently i bought the scout marine box set (standard set not sniper) and found that has the following.

1 heavy bolter
4 shot guns
4 bolters
5 bolt pistols and close combat weapons.

and because the bolters and shotguns share the griping arm i can't have 5 marines with bolters or shotgun from the box set requiring some converting. its like they expected that every gamer would assemble the sergeant with a bolt pistol and close combat weapon or have a heavy bolter in the goup. so people who may only want 5 scouts won't be able to have a full bolter/shotgun squad if they want to.

As a marine player, scouts is one of those things that really pissed me off to no ends just because they provide 4 or each thing rather than 5. You can't make a 10 men squad with bolters because you only have 8 and the same problem with shotguns as well.:mad:

The other is the old land speeder. one word, yucks!!

slasher
11-05-2009, 07:04
Eldar - Aspect warriors, they only give you two out of the three wepon options for most of the aspects, the others they have a single exarch model (ie hawks, spiders). Anoying.

Also have to agree with the exorcist - two kits (one was missing a part so got given a secound) and I just about made one, with a little helping of greenstuff.

Born Again
11-05-2009, 07:46
Berserkers. The box set has 12 guys who (leaving out the old chainax rules) have no upgrades other than plasma pistols. Which means you have to get your Skull Champ upgrades from somewhere else. And none of the metal "world eaters aspiring champion" models come with any sort of upgrade you can't buy a basic berserker- they all have chainswords or chain axes! Which means, if you want a decent berserker squad, you have to find a power weapon (or, more likely fist) somewhere else- there's absolutley no reason to ever buy the metal models, except maybe collector interest.

STUPID. They need to throw in a bonus sprue that has a powerfist and power weapon, at least. I was lucky and mail ordered the old CSM weapon upgrade sprues (even got to pick the PF ones) but now they don't even sell (non terminator) powerfist bits! I'm guessing every new CSM player in the world has had to scrounge up at least one powerfist or power weapon somehow if they want to run berserkers.

In the past I just used the bare head to show the champion, and no-one ever complained. As for the weapons, it is Khorne's wish his champions spill blood with chainaxes!

Tau crisis suits because the bodies don't line up.

Never had any problems here.

The old Land raider crusader.
What. A. B[Edited by Inquisition].

Also would have to say Lootaz are annoying. 4 Deff gunz. 4 Flamers. 1 mek.
What if i just want 10 Lootaz? Means buying 3 boxes and having 5 Spare Models, of which 3 are mek's

Yeah, that is kinda annoying. my solution, if you're having a mob of each (which luckily I am) is to take two boxes. Take the deffgun from the burna mob and put it on the mek's body from the other frame. Either take a burna from the lootas, or have a mek in that mob. But yeah, it is annoying. The mek should be an option, not compulsory.

The loota/burna box is kinda funny. You get 4 burnas, 4 lootas, and a b.shoota, rokkit or kustom megablasta for the mekboy.

Only problem it that the kmb for the mek is on the left arm, and the b.shoota/rokkit is on the right arm, and the box does not include a left arm for holding the b.shoota/rokkit.

So it included half the parts needed to give the mekboy either a b.shoota or rokkit.

Thats kinda like including 5 right legs and 4 left legs in a box imo.

Yeah... that one really is very stupid. Nice one, GW.

LordFulgrim
11-05-2009, 12:36
Noise Marines...had to spend more cash and wait two weeks for the bitz pack to make it an actual Noise Marine squad.

CSMRaptors; beautiful models but so unbalanced that they tip over at the slightest breeze, no amount of tinkering with the base will help.

Rhinos are also a pain, plus the Land Raider it took me ages to bend the hulls so they would fit together without horrible gaps.

[Black] Katalyst
11-05-2009, 13:37
1- Pinning the whip onto the Bloodthirsters hand. Why can't they make the joint at the wrist?!

2- Pinning Ogryns at the waist. How many holes do I have to drill to line them up? After 4 in a row the 5th only took me 5 holes!!! The arms have tabs and little nubs, why not the biggest joint on the model?!?!

3- Any sprue that has a connection on a flat exposed side. Its always to close for nippers and when the knife comes out I always cut into the model.

4. Does Green Stuff really need to be so expensive for little???

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
11-05-2009, 14:20
The Eldar Wraithlord. The darned thing just won't stay together when you assemble it....

Dark Eldar Warriors and Eldar Swooping Hawks are also annoying, because they break all too easily.

DaSpaceAsians
12-05-2009, 00:55
I just realized it. The 10 men guard boxes don't even have all of their listed options forcing us to buy a lot of blisters and command squads.

blameless
12-05-2009, 01:10
The Eldar Wraithlord. The darned thing just won't stay together when you assemble it....

Dark Eldar Warriors and Eldar Swooping Hawks are also annoying, because they break all too easily.

Pinning is your friend my friend :)

as for me, it has to be the old devestators... nothing lined up proporly!

Tourniquet
12-05-2009, 01:12
YES!
The old metal heavy weapons.
The cause of much death threats within the area of my painting table.
mainly at the model.
and the rest at the idiot who designed them

Mealstrom
12-05-2009, 01:35
Katalyst;3562146']
4. Does Green Stuff really need to be so expensive for little???

I buy my green stuff in big tubes for about 20 bucks. So far 3 months and I've only used not even 1/4 of it.

As for my least favorite model, I have to second the Rhino hull based models. They drive me NUTS. Never seem to line up correctly, or I've got gaps to deal with or anything like that. Not enjoyable, and then having to magnetize my turrets and sponsons...

Hicks
12-05-2009, 01:42
The gaunt box! What makes it worse is that with each new edition, half the models become worthless and the other becomes good again.

rebmonk
12-05-2009, 03:29
Dark Angel Veteran Box......while the cover shows 5 hooded heads, it only comes with 4.

GG false advertising. You should at least be able to build whats on the front of the box.

Warforger
12-05-2009, 03:37
Well the Assault squad box has a Thunder hammer on the cover....

Anything that breaks easily. Meaning, Assault marine toes touching bases and the Flying bases.

destroyerlord
12-05-2009, 04:25
CSM havoc with lascannon.
It - just - wont - fit!
The lascannon arm itself has to sit way too far back, making it look like the marine has completely torn his shoulder off from the recoil...except las(er)cannons don't have recoil.
The superb Iron Warriors lascannon more than makes up for this problem though.

@sharpSilver
I've built several of the plastic CSM heavy bolters and never had any problems with them. perhaps it was a miscast?

edit:
Having a look through this thread has given me a new appreciation for how much GW models have improved over the last few years. Most of the stuff people are complaining about is metals that came out in 3rd ed, many of which have been replaced by plastics since (or people have been crying for plastics for years, like with the gargoyles).

WorLord
12-05-2009, 04:44
Personally, I'm still holding a grudge over the original metal land speeder. After a couple of attempts at assembly, it became one with the bitz box.

The older metal/plastic marine devastators. Took a lot of careful balancing just to stand up (plastic body/legs, metal weapon & backpack) and usually did a noseplant when set on an angled surface.

Chaos defiler - I really wanted to have both front claws in the air, but I just couldn't get the thing to balance and didn't feel like weighting the back end.

StefDa
12-05-2009, 05:09
The Guard tanks and the pain in the backside of building their tracks.

Funny, I own an Armoured Company (seven Leman Russes, one Chimera, one Hellhound, one Baneblade), I never had any problems with track assembly besides not bothering?

A full squad of ten? Both the Company Command Squad and the Platoon Command Squad only have five models in each.

StormWulfen
12-05-2009, 06:02
thunderfire cannon, i dunno who had the briliant idea of making that a metal kit:wtf: the turret doesnt fit the turret ring and the barrel halves dont fit properly. i see no reason why this couldnt be a plastic model, it would have gone together so much better.

Another one to add from experience are the tank tracks on Rhinos/Leman Russ/any Imperial tank. They never seem to fit together for me, end up having like a inch of track out of place or whatnot.

actually as long as you dont put the roof on space marine vehicles the tracks will fit perfectly.

Zoring
12-05-2009, 06:09
Wish they would release boxes of Imperial Guard torsos and legs, sigh. Hundreds and hundreds of Arms and heads just sitting there.

Hakar
12-05-2009, 06:48
Bob Plisskin;3560294']The stupid metal crystal for the fire prism, it always needs greenstuff, it always beds at the tip, it never glues onto the bit its supposed to glue onto easily.

Not to mention the fact it's several times the weight of the rest of the model, which causes balance problems.
Which brings me to my main annoyance. Models with metal and plastic components. And also metal models with small contact areas.
"I know! Let's make the contact area the wrist, so if someone tries to drill a hole in it for pinning, they will end up wrecking the arm!"

Griffin
12-05-2009, 07:37
Chaos Space Marine havocs.

I can't buy blisters where I live, only boxes - geuss how many boxes of CSM Havocs I had to buy to get 4 of each gun.

Sigh.

And the damn things are metal/plastic hybrids - making for lank unbalanced models.

Da_Killa
14-05-2009, 12:28

i agree too many bitz :wtf::wtf::wtf:
my marine bitz box is now a healthy size thanks to them:):)

Fay_Redd
14-05-2009, 12:43
Hmmm, probably the tyranid Gaunts box. I don't like that it's mixed as i prefer termagaunts over hormagaunts, for many reasons, too many to list really. and the pathetic amount of actual adrenal gland pieces you get, 6 for 8 hormagaunts. um duh?

changes they can make to this box is. seperate the box. 16 terms and 16 horms in seperate boxes. Enough biomorph parts to go throughout the squad. and new differently posistioned models, as just having the back of their claws to keep them on the base both gaunts suck for transport.

Rirekon
14-05-2009, 12:58
Necron Flayed Ones, seriously which bright spark decided the hands needed to be separate? No hope in hell of pinning them and they snap off if you look at them.
Also the Necron Immortals, the guns do not line up with the arms - and that's on the models which aren't deformed casts.

Oh and Necron Heavy Destroyers, why on earth does the arm need to be metal? Seriously, as others have mentioned mixed kits are just rubbish

Badger Mek
14-05-2009, 15:44
The Ork warbikers kit always annoys me.

If I want to get a biker with both arms holding the handlebars (they cn't all be waving chains or pipes) I have the choice of not doing it at all or of sticking the Ork's head into the contol console - which lookslike he's just had a bit of an emerency stop.

Even with one hand off the bars I still find the assembly very fiddly.

Saying that, I put together the Ork battlewagon kit last week and it went together perfectly.

loveless
14-05-2009, 16:00
Sister of Battle boxes - A Stormbolter, eh? How about an upgrade I'd use, like, oh, a Heavy Flamer?

Exorcist - an exercise in green stuff and patience

Space Marine Dev Box - One Multi-melta? Really?

Harlequin Troupe Leader - I had a friend of mine ask me to assemble his. He had no green stuff and no drill. Even with the drill, I think attaching him to the base would have been a pain.

LonelyPath
14-05-2009, 16:25
SM Tactical Squad for sheer lack of upgrade options. Surely a power weapon, powerfist and another heavy weapon wouldn't be to much to ask for?

Seconded with the Devastators only getting 1 multi-melta, really annoying.

SoB box for the storm bolter, I would have preferred a melta gun.

GK terminator brother captain for a poor connection point at the wrist, Despite pinning it still needs repair before every battle.

Nid Gaunts, split them into 2 seperate boxes, please!

Acolyte
14-05-2009, 16:31
Most of my beefs have since been replaced, but still.

Old Land Speeders: THEY DON'T FIT. The hull sections to not attach together! There's a big gap! WTF. And don't even get me going on trying to attach the metal weapons.

Old Land Raider Crusaders: Everything that was wrong with the old Land Speeder, multiplied by ten. There was equal amounts metal and flesh from my fingers in my old Crusader bolters.

BigBadBull
14-05-2009, 17:22
Got to say I guess no one plays TAU , two words : KROOT OX . most horrid non fitting together model ever period!
Greenstuff, Filing, Channel Locks to BEND the Metal to the point you could green stuff it....
Just a joke, a really bad joke!

Old hybrid Dev squad. Cabling would not mate up with weapon
Old SM Ladspeeders... lot of filing, greenstuff and cutting
Old Hurricane bolters on Crusaders... punch line to bad joke
GW Ven Dread... it a really lousey all metal kit, that came out AFTER the all plastic Dread
MK2b Pre H. Landraider from FW THe FW resin parts on all of them are 8/10ths the needed size to fit the regular GW Landraider parts. This has been reported by numerous people.
Original run of TAU Piranha missing the Seakers unit off the sprew unless you got he limited 3 pack box that limited to 2 a store. I got like 4 free replacement ones from GW but none of them still had the missing part.

Emperor's Grace
14-05-2009, 17:28
My favorite giggle was always seeing WD or online articles that told you not to build the vehicles in the order shown on the instructions. You'd think that they would have talked it around before printing the instruction sheet...

Acolyte
14-05-2009, 19:49
Got to say I guess no one plays TAU , two words : KROOT OX . most horrid non fitting together model ever period!
Greenstuff, Filing, Channel Locks to BEND the Metal to the point you could green stuff it....
Just a joke, a really bad joke!

Oh, man, I forgot about the Krootox. It's been years since I had one, I'd almost repressed the nightmare of buying one. When I got it, I tried to stick it together, saw that it didn't fit, and went back to GW, saying 'Hey, I think I got a mispacked one.' The Redshirt just sighed and said 'Sorry, dude, they all suck like that.'

They SUCK.

MadDogMike
17-05-2009, 04:22
All this, and nobody's mentioned the monolith? Trying to get the sides together tight enough so gap filling isn't ludicrously obvious is a nightmare since it seems you wind up having to attach all four simultaneously. Took some clever rubber band work for me to get the thing to stay right (my poor first one is hideous since I had no idea what I was doing with gap filling :().