PDA

View Full Version : vc help a noob

metal midget
10-05-2009, 19:17
hi i was starting a secret project from my friends and am making a vampire count army but i have no idea what a list should look like and what it should have in it heres what i currently have

10 ghouls
25 zombies
5/10 dire wolves (if i can find them)
2 necromancers
2 corpse carts
1 vampire
10 skeletons

I was wondering how many necromancers you should have in a 2250 would 3 and 1 vampire lord work and could i have someones aid with list making please thanks in advance.

MM

therat
10-05-2009, 19:24
Necromancers are usually just used for minor support, such as carrying dispel scrolls so that the vamps can take the more powerful items. Most people will tell you to play vampires as your primary spell casters.

The first thing you should decide on is whether you want a lot of zombies or not. If you do, get about 60-100 zombies in your army and then supplement from there. If not, you'll need a lot more skeletons or ghouls. There's a debate over the effectiveness of zombies, but I use them as my core troops supplemented by skeletons.

Ultimate Life Form
10-05-2009, 19:29
Necromancers are complete crap and there is no way your army will EVER work with but one Vampire in it.

The Vampires are the backbone of an army, they do all the summoning and marching. It is crucial you get as many as possible.

Other than that, your army can be pretty much all you like. The Vampires are 100% customizable, Thatīs the great thing about them. It would help a great deal if you could further specify your wishes.:)

What matches your picture of a Vampire Army best? Is it

-shambling hordes of rotten Undead? (Zombie mayhem!:skull:)

-hard-hitting elite units?

-the masters of Magic?

Crube
10-05-2009, 19:33
I'd also suggest haveing a trawl through the Army List section - there's a stack of lists there with lots of suggestions for tweeks and improvements.

metal midget
10-05-2009, 19:34
all 3 realy struggling to fit them in 1 army

Spirit
10-05-2009, 19:35
Only ever have one necromancer in an army, give him only vanhells and the book of arkan. He is there to cast vanhells for 6 turns, nothing more.

Vampires are where your magic should come from, not necromancers, as stated before, they are a bit rubbish.

You may be confused with the last vampire book, in which necromancers were key characters, but now vampires are the magic casters mainly.

metal midget
10-05-2009, 19:41
ok so a necromancer on a corpse cart with vanhels and the book

metal midget
10-05-2009, 19:56
by the way is count manfred worth his points and i am trying to make a 2000-2250 i'll kepp this page for suggest and put them in

Spirit
10-05-2009, 21:11
ok so a necromancer on a corpse cart with vanhels and the book

I do not rate corpse carts at all. You need a very specific army to make them work, i would say do not use them if you are starting up, you will not get full use out of them. In your case i think 25 zombies would do better than a corpse cart + upgrade.

by the way is count manfred worth his points and i am trying to make a 2000-2250 i'll kepp this page for suggest and put them in

Not in my opinion, no, you can make a much better vampire lord on your own, either fully casting or fully combat is the best way to go depending on your preferance.

If you like manfred, try a vampire with:

-Dread knight (for 2+ save)
-Master of the black arts
-Infinite Hatred (makes even the least tooled up vampire very good in combat)

-Blood drinker (keeps him and his unit alive, good with hatred)
-Bloody hauberk (for 1+ save/5+ ward total)
-Black periapt

This vampire has 5 power dice (6 with periapt), is not easily killed so you can get him into combat and the blood drinker + hatred will provide a very good boost to his unit (of grave guard most likly)

Very good all round lord.

If you want combat tooled up vamp, go with red fury, dread knight, hatred and then anything you fancy (if you take the auto hitting lance, obviously there is no need for hatred)

For a (very) magic vampire, master of the black arts, dark acolyte, your choice of summoning ability, skull staff, helm of command, but dont get him ANYWHERE near combat.

ALWAYS buy the helm of command in your army. Put it on a hero vampire, its usually a waste to get WS7 but limit your lord to magic only, unless using the uber magic vampire. (you cannot be in combat and use the helm of command)

ALWAYS make your vampire lord level 3 and try to get at least 1xlvl2, preferably 2 to support him.

In 2k points i use 3 vampires, lvl3+MOTBA, lvl2 (helm of command on a flying horse) , lvl2 (bsb, great weapon, flayed hauberk)

Yerun
11-05-2009, 07:09
I'd recommend the battalion to supplie yourself with more core troops ;)
you can then summon them on the battlefield or field them right away.

As for your lack of Vampires, a Varghulf is a strong weapon and quite straightforward to use. And as stated above, everything else depends on what way you want to go. Magic, Combat or a mix. All three combinations work because if a Vamp wants to do something, it does it really good ^^

Ultimate Life Form
11-05-2009, 07:16
ALWAYS buy the helm of command in your army. Put it on a hero vampire, its usually a waste to get WS7 but limit your lord to magic only, unless using the uber magic vampire. (you cannot be in combat and use the helm of command)

I plan on using the helm in combination with the magic banner to allow my Grave Guard to hit the enemy on a 2+ (Should really hurt with kiling blow:D). Itīs intended to be my key strategy, the defining and distinguishing trait of my army. Itīs legal, right?:)

Spirit
11-05-2009, 17:02
I plan on using the helm in combination with the magic banner to allow my Grave Guard to hit the enemy on a 2+ (Should really hurt with kiling blow:D). Itīs intended to be my key strategy, the defining and distinguishing trait of my army. Itīs legal, right?:)

Perfectly legal, but i think ws6 + a war banner is just as good. But then again i only ever use HW+S, not he great weapons. 21 of them with great weapons and ranks of 7 would be rather nasty. Especially if you could get vanhells off.

carldooley
12-05-2009, 01:38
how about varghulfs? I am planning on taking forbidden lore so that I can cast Bear's Anger on it. Are there any better buffers than Anger, or should I have a dedicated caster nearby to recast it every time that it gets dispelled?

Ultimate Life Form
12-05-2009, 01:41
how about varghulfs? I am planning on taking forbidden lore so that I can cast Bear's Anger on it. Are there any better buffers than Anger, or should I have a dedicated caster nearby to recast it every time that it gets dispelled?

Well, no need to bother anymore...

If you read the spellīs description closely, Bearīs Anger can only target creatures with Unit Strength 1. Varghulf = US4. Itīs not possible anyway Iīm afraid... But you could use it on a Vampire.

carldooley
12-05-2009, 01:48
Well, no need to bother anymore...

If you read the spellīs description closely, Bearīs Anger can only target creatures with Unit Strength 1. Varghulf = US4. Itīs not possible anyway Iīm afraid... But you could use it on a Vampire.

where does it say US=4? on P.95 in the VC book, it says Unit Size: 1. doesn't this settle the prequisites? or did I miss something?

ZombieMans
12-05-2009, 02:45
varghoulfs use a large base size, and as they are on foot they count as being the same US as an ogre (which is 3... where did you guys get 4?).

Your US is based off your base size and creature type (IE- monster, cavalry, etc.)

Pg. 95 says the unit size is 1... we're talking about unit strength.

carldooley
12-05-2009, 03:09
found the explanation - so I cannot cast it on a varghulf but I can cast it on a swarm of fell bats?:wtf:

but as it IS a vampire, I can use it to force-march my units across the board, yes?

ZombieMans
12-05-2009, 03:18
Bat swarms have Cloud of Horror...

Which makes them suck.

But yes, your Varghoulf lets you march your other undead models across the board. A popular tactic is to use them in conjunction with Black Knights as they both move rather quick.