PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnia!

korskarnkai
11-05-2009, 04:27
I'm interested in getting a Bretonnian army for warmaster, but I know very little about the game. Can anyone give me any advice on what I need to buy as well as general tactical and strategic setups for the Bretonnians?

Thanks guys!

Cpt. Drill
11-05-2009, 10:44
Lots of knights!

One of my favourite tactics that Brets can use is the fodder screen. As your infantry dont count towards your break point you can send them to get slaughtered! Send in some big blocks of infantry to tie up your opponenet then pick off the weakened units with your hard hitting knights. Due to victory points this will cause aot of draws if you lose to much infantry but it definatly makes for an entertaining game.

korskarnkai
12-05-2009, 10:58
Ouch!

Can you tell me how big a "standard" warmaster game is? How many blisters am I looking at?

Cpt. Drill
12-05-2009, 11:38
Personally I prefer games of at least 2000pts.

This being said 1000pts are fine but the game can be over in one decisive combat, due to the low break points of the armys.

I think warmaster is at its best at the 1500pts or 2500pts because it means you cant min/max an army as much seeing as after each 1000pts boundry your limit of special units is extended, with the extra 500 pts you have to take some more basic units which generally makes for more balanced games.

As for blisters you are probably looking at about 7-15 per 1000pts depending on choices, Brets are nice as you can max out on more expensive knights bringing the overall cost of the army down. This being said if you go for an infantry heavy army you could be buying alot more.

The Hallagor army is basically bretonnians, you could get a bit more infantry of your money here, but i would recocomend the Games Workshop knights as those models are beautiful!
Try Kallistra if you want cheaper models. http://www.kallistra.co.uk/

korskarnkai
12-05-2009, 14:52
Thanks for the replies mate. Can anyone give me, or at least point me in the right direction, for more detailed Bretonnian tactics? I have no idea how to best use longbowmen/men at arms etc. I'm interested in fielding an infantry heavy army, but I have no idea where to start!

azraelezekiel
12-05-2009, 18:36
Use infantry as a screen in front of your knights.
Get bowman into cover so as to shoot at troops as they pass and use all other infantry to wear down the enemy until your knights can make the decisive final charge.
Don't forget everything bar your knights are dispensible serfs there only to die so as their lord and master doesn't :)

Don't forget with such a low break point commiting your knights too early will result in a loss for you.
I have seen an empire brigade of knights (same stats & cost) get chewed up in one combat round. This could well be your break point.

I am guessing from your user name you used to read Lone Wolf? Are you going to do a Sommlending themed Brettonian army?

dax
12-05-2009, 18:45
Whilst it's possible to field an Infantry heavy army it's pointless in Warmaster as only your Knights count for your break point - the higher your break point the better. It's best to onlt pick the minimum requirements for Infantry and use the as meatshields as they don't count if killed. A typical Warmaster army will have 11 or 12 units of kinghts.

download the rules and army book have a look at them here:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=cat1290325&categoryId=1100013&aId=5300011

My typical 2000 point army

1 General 125
2 Heroes 160
1 Enchantress 45

2 Peasants 60
2 Men at arms 90
2 Bowmen 110

2 Squires 180

9 Knights 990
2 Grail Knights 240

2000 pts

2 Brigades mix of the Peasants and Men at arms Bowmen
Brigade the 2 Squires and 2 Grail Knights
3 Brigades of 3 Knights.

Thats just my take on it. Thats 20 Blisters.

Don't take Trebuchet in standard games.

And remember warmaster is very different to warhammer

korskarnkai
13-05-2009, 02:01
I am guessing from your user name you used to read Lone Wolf? Are you going to do a Sommlending themed Brettonian army?
Nice spot there mate! Maybe I will, just trying to get my head around the rules first.

korskarnkai
13-05-2009, 02:18
Whilst it's possible to field an Infantry heavy army it's pointless in Warmaster as only your Knights count for your break point - the higher your break point the better. It's best to onlt pick the minimum requirements for Infantry and use the as meatshields as they don't count if killed. A typical Warmaster army will have 11 or 12 units of kinghts.
I see your point, but I don't like having more knights than commoners, and especially more grail knights than commoners. I was thinking of:

General
Enchantress
Hero (sword of might)
Hero
6 knights
1 grail knights
2 squires
9 men at arms
9 longbowmen

2 brigades of 3 knights

3 brigades of 3 men at arms and 3 longbows in front

1 brigade of 2 squires and 1 grail knights.

Is that ok, or too infantry heavy?

dax
13-05-2009, 08:08
By my calculations thats 2200 points.

Your Knights are fine like that you have a break point of 4 (7 units divided by 2 rounded up) I wouldn't drop anymore knights as even one unit will drop you to BP3. You'll need to tweak the Infantry.

Drop 3 units of Bowmen thats 165 pts. gone. shooting is only supportive in Warmaster it won't win you anything. Swap 3 of the Men at Arms for 3 Peasants that saves 45 pts. Either run 3 brigades of 2 M@A 1 Peasants or 2 Brigades of 3 M@A and 1 of Peasants but remember Peasants have a command penalty if not accompanied by a non peasant unit (unless you have a Grail reliquae which costs 25 pts. but that army list hasn't been released yet!)

korskarnkai
13-05-2009, 08:18
Thanks Dax.

I really don't like peasants. Is a setup of 1 brigade with 3 longbows and 3 MaA and 2 brigades of 2 longbows and 2 MaA any good?

I really like the longbow models, plus I figured they would be good for disrupting enemy battlelines which the knights can then exploit.

dax
13-05-2009, 08:41
I assume you mean 2 brigades to start as a brigade is max 4 units. Yep nothing wrong with a mixed brigade put the 2 units of bowmen in front in line formation and the 2 units of M@A behind them also in line formation to support them.

Peasants are good fodder units.

They can be turned into Battle Pilgrims with a Grail Reliquae as I mentioned.

Rules:
Type Special Bonus Cost +30 pts.

This sacred item can be given to one unit
of Peasants only. This unit and all Peasants units touching it
become Grail Pilgrims (for as long as they keep contact). Grail
Pilgrims are immune to terror, dont get the -1 command and
get +1 attack (they still keep the restriction that they get no
+1 attacks in the open), they have to attack by initiative and
can not be driven back or confused. Before taking any specific
action with a Peasant unit check if they are still touching the
unit carrying the Grail Reliquae. If they do so they count as
Grail Pilgrims - if not they are simple Peasants.

This is part of the new alternative Brettonian list.

It also features Pegasus Knights

Type Monster Attack 2 Hits 3 Save 5+ Size 3 Max 1 per 1000 Csot 80pts

Pegasus Knights can fly.

There won't be new minis for these attached are WIP pics of my converted Reliquae

korskarnkai
13-05-2009, 09:37
Nice rules Dax, and thanks for the advice on setting up the brigades. I think I'm going to go for a sort of mid 14th century English army look for my Bretts, hence the longbows and not as many knights. :)

korskarnkai
13-05-2009, 12:21
Ok, I priced the army above and it came out at more than AU$500, so I'm going to have to start smaller.

How's this for a infantry heavy force?

General
Hero
1 x Grail Knights (Banner of Steadfastness)
2 x Knights
2 x Squires
3 x MaA
2 x Longbowmen

The MaA form the (expendable) anvil with the longbowmen flanking either side, whilst the 3 units of knights form the hammer. The squires are for harrassing the enemy or atacking warmachines etc.

Is this an ok starter list?

korskarnkai
13-05-2009, 12:22
Forgot to add, that list is 1000 points. :)

dax
13-05-2009, 20:21
Yep nothing wrong with that list 4 brigades and 2 commanders works fine BP 2 your not going to get it much higher at 1000 points anyway. 1000 points lists are hard to pick as the general and heroes take up a chunk of points.

Rolo Ramone
19-05-2009, 23:09
Wow, This is what I was looking for. I want to start a Bretonnian Army, but I have two problems: First of all, just a few wargames here play Warmaster (I only knew 1) and second, the miniatures. But I think Im gonna start playing with cardboar first...