PDA

View Full Version : warhawks any use

Mivari
11-05-2009, 11:02
I have only used them once but to great susses but due to pure luck

i get the point that they are great for march blockers and bait i guess that they are good for warmachine hunting but in general is't it a lot better to get wild rider war dancers and treekin i normaly only play game that allow 3 special units i mainly play vs DE, woC, HE & lizzards

hope some want to sheare there wieve on this unite

Witchblade
11-05-2009, 11:37
Wild riders are less maneauvrable, don't skirmish and can't flee.

War hawks can be used to multi-charge so that the opponent cannot flee (he'll get overrun by the 20 inch charge) in a 360 degree arc, which gives you a lot of battlefield control. If the opponent doesn't break, you can fall back without getting caught. This also makes mage hunting a lot easier.

War hawks are incredibly diverse units. They're costly though and they don't have the fast cavalry rule unfortunately, which makes them subpar baiting units compared to glade riders.

HannibalSW
11-05-2009, 12:05
I only just started using them. I usually take three, no upgrade. They are very manuverable and like Witchblade mentioned, it is nice to be able to block a unit from fleeing. They are very easy to manuver to get a flank attack off in conjunction with another unit charging. Never underestimate the ability to have three more bow shots, when playing my Bret friend, these guys kept popping a knight (bad rolls, but make them take enough rolls and anyone can fail a +2 save) Good at march blocking, and can harass units and sweep up the flanks w/ Wild riders leading the way.

Make sure if you need to flee these guys they don't end up in woods or some terrain, they blow up if that happens!

One of the main reasons I didn't buy these guys sooner, I can't stand the way the elves look on them. I might try modeling some Glade Guard dudes to stand on the hawks instead.

Mivari
11-05-2009, 21:24
well thansk both of you.
i guess my main problem whit warhawks is that on a charge i "only" 6 S4 hits
and only T3 and +6 armour save for me this means that rear charge on a block unite is a no go unlesss it is a low T unite whit low armour save or is that just my in experiens talking, since i have to count on the higher unite strange of wild riders to break the unite before my wild riders are killed so the wild riders can overrun them ?

I think they a bit fragile to charge anything to re flank

To HannibalSW i fell the same way about the models by i have my eyes on the wind rider models from gamezoneminiatures
http://www.gamezoneminiatures.de (http://www.gamezoneminiatures.de/index.php/cat/c69_08-Silvanus.html)

but in a 1500 point army what 3 special units well you take
wardance,r wild rider and treekin
or
wardancers, wildrider and warhawks ?

HannibalSW
15-05-2009, 16:52
I usually take Wild Riders and wardancers, not sure if I would take warhawks in 1500 points. I guess it would depend who I was playing. Thanks for the link, I'll check those minis out!

Crube
15-05-2009, 16:59
I used to take Warhawks in my 2K army, but they almost always ended up as Warhawk Burgers down the local KFC...

Now I prefer some scouts, for the bows, and rely on Glade RIders and Wold RIders for speed.

Warhawks can be useful with their Hit & Run rule, but they never seemed to work well for me.

As for Special choices, I never leave home without Wardancers and Wild RIders. Other than that, I tend to have more Glade RIders

orkz222
15-05-2009, 17:11
I tried them out twice against 2250 DE and both times they fare badly... 1st time flank charge them together with glade riders on rear against the hydra and they fluff their atks... 2nd time use them to chase DE crossbow elves and they actually lose combat twice (bad luck with my dice) but charging twice and losing both times... I wont be taking them anytime soon.

40pts each and paper armour/low T and only 2 atks @ str 4 on charge really overprice for what they can do.

Von Wibble
15-05-2009, 17:16
Personally I think they are OK but overpriced - 30 a model would be fairer. They are only slightly more manouvreable than glade riders but use up a special choice, are more vulnerable to shooting and magic, and don't cancel rank bonus when attacking flanks. Most of the time, if they are hunting a war machine, that war machine will get to fire and remove them as a threat first.

If you hadn't guessed, I don't use them.

Mercules
15-05-2009, 17:32
I would use them if they had the same rule Terradon Riders have now where they can land in woods/jungle. As a Wood Elf player I tend to get a few woods on any table where terrain is set up in the game. I tend to Tree Sing those woods about to place them in the way of my enemy which means those woods tend to be close to the fighting. Very often the Warhawk Riders have ended up falling back and landing in woods, instantly destroyed. Far to many points to risk that when much of my strategy involves manipulating terrain.

PeG
15-05-2009, 18:12
Problem is that they die really easy, even warmachine crews have a decent chance of killing them.

Dark_Knight
15-05-2009, 21:12
I don't know about other flyers but Pegasus Knights make short work of War hawks.

Entropolus
15-05-2009, 22:16
Surprised no one has mentioned mage hunting...
Field them with no champ and charge units that mages are hiding in. Align them so 2 are in contact with the mage and direct all of their attacks on the mage.

mortetvie
18-05-2009, 00:43
I think entropolus is correct, mage hunting is a big plus as WE have no real way of doing such a thing. If you throw in a warhawk unit to do that, if they kill the mage they pretty much guarantee their points back.

Not to mention warmachine hunting but you'd have to be more careful there.