PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Dragons

Dvnjhn
11-05-2009, 15:20
If you take a chaos dragon as a mount, does it have to be Galruach.

Jonathais
11-05-2009, 15:27
No, could even be a one headed dragon if you wanted.

bork da basher
11-05-2009, 15:29
do you mean does it have to be a 2 headed dragon? galrauch is a special charecter cant cannot be ridden by anyone....except maybe mrs galrauch.

Dvnjhn
11-05-2009, 15:45
So you can take a normal dragon as a mount? What page is that point cost?

p.s Very funy Bork.....

enyoss
11-05-2009, 15:47
cant cannot be ridden by anyone....except maybe mrs galrauch.

Perhaps having an autonomous second head with an extra long neck makes her slightly redundant :confused:

Dark14
11-05-2009, 15:48
a chaos dragon could have any ammount of heads afterall it is chaos. its just all the same statline.

Sleazy
11-05-2009, 15:54
Chaos dragons do not need 2 heads (see the warmaster one or the one in Dragonslayer) though it is common.

Galrauch cannot have a rider though theres nothing stopping you modelling that and just using him as a regular chaos dragon - though its an awful mini.

I have the FW chaos dragon, now THATS a dragon!

theunwantedbeing
11-05-2009, 16:02
Generally, a chaos dragon should have 2 heads.
As thats what the fluff for a chaos dragon says.

Also the rule is "one head can breath fire...the other can breath a cloud of corrosive gas".
So it's perfectly reasonable to argue that a dragon model that does not have 2 heads is not allowed to use both breath weapons.

So it really should have 2 heads.
Feel free to be lazy and not bother making a 2 headed dragon though, I'm sure your local gaming group will have no issues at all on the matter.

Dvnjhn
11-05-2009, 16:47
Okay - I still can not find the page that gives me the points cost, and stats for a Chaos Dragon that is not Calruach.. Can some one tell me? I know I am being retarded but it is doing my nut in. My actual copy is at my mates, and I am looking up a pdf file online..... Plus with two heads, it brings a whole new meaning to a double header.....

Horus38
11-05-2009, 16:48
So you can take a normal dragon as a mount? What page is that point cost?

It should be in the Lord/hero section of the army list. There's a box with all the different mounts which will have there special rules. The points cost are either in there, or in the equivalent character section: for example Chaos lord profile has one of his options as a chaos dragon for 300 points (Note: this is not the actual point cost as I don't have my book on hand).

championofkhorne
11-05-2009, 19:44
a chaos dragon is a mount choice for a Chaos Lord or Sorc Lord, they cost 360 points, and can look like whatever you want them to look like but always have the default two breath weapons and statline.

it is in page 121 of the warriors of chaos armybook.

The Red Scourge
11-05-2009, 20:12
...it's perfectly reasonable to argue that a dragon model that does not have 2 heads is not allowed to use both breath weapons.

Hah! You so funny! :D

Zoolander
11-05-2009, 20:58
If you are attempting in any way to make the model look like a Chaos Dragon, then yes, it must have two heads, as all chaos dragons have two heads according to the fluff. If you are not, then you can use anything at all to represent the model including, but not limited to, mundane items such as erasers, coke cans, troll models, and dice. It depends on how strict you and your group are.

Enjoy!

Charistoph
11-05-2009, 21:38
2nd Head could only appear in reality to breathe it's weapon... but since you are supposed to use it's mouth as a starting point, that poses a gaming problem. Of course, the second head could be in it's tail... no wonder it's corrosive...

Heck, if you want to go nuts (this IS Chaos) kit bash several different monster models together to make it up. Start with a Giant body, go with Stegadon or Carnosaur head, then add an Eagle head for yucks. Go crazy, modelling is part of the fun.

Seville
12-05-2009, 01:13
Don't let the usual fluff nazis and pedants tell you that you must make your toy soldiers look exactly the way that GW tells you to.

God forbid your magical fire breathing dragon OF DOOM should have only one head. :rolleyes:

Puh-leeze.

I kaelis ra
12-05-2009, 15:33
Also the rule is "one head can breath fire...the other can breath a cloud of corrosive gas".
So it's perfectly reasonable to argue that a dragon model that does not have 2 heads is not allowed to use both breath weapons.
Maybe he can produce gas from some other point on his body =).Immo if u pay the points u can use the rules how it actually looks is kindoff irrellavant .

Charistoph
12-05-2009, 15:42
Maybe he can produce gas from some other point on his body =).Immo if u pay the points u can use the rules how it actually looks is kindoff irrellavant .

Pretty much, but if he puts out a Gnoblar on a 20mm base and calls it his Chaos Draon, that would be a bit much.

A Gnoblar on a Monster base with a shadow painted on him, now THAT would be classic!

Dvnjhn
12-05-2009, 15:48
Wow - The only reason I asked is because I have managed to pick up a cheap Glarauch model. I am going to try to get a cheap palaquin of Nurgle, attach to the back of said dragon, and have a Nurgle sorcerer ride him.....

Griefbringer
12-05-2009, 15:55
The idea that all chaos dragons have exactly 2 heads does not sound very chaotic to me - I would imagine that within the masses of creatures of chaos, you could find dragons with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 heads - or even dragons with 0 or 2.4 or -3 heads. It is chaos after all.

For modelling ideas, how about getting the plastic high elf dragon and the chaos spawn kit? Assemble the dragon, skip any bits that look too elvish (unless you are going for a Tzeench/Slaanesh dragon) and then add suitable bits from the spawn sprue to make it look more chaotic - one of these can be counted as the second head for the purposes of belching foul gas. For the finishing touch, add a plastic chaos knight as a rider.

I kaelis ra
12-05-2009, 16:05
Pretty much, but if he puts out a Gnoblar on a 20mm base and calls it his Chaos Draon, that would be a bit much.offcourse
A Gnoblar on a Monster base with a shadow painted on him, now THAT would be classic! hehe =)
The idea that all chaos dragons have exactly 2 heads does not sound very chaotic to me - I would imagine that within the masses of creatures of chaos, you could find dragons with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 heads - or even dragons with 0 or 2.4 or -3 heads. It is chaos after all.
This is what i mean exactly a Tzeentchian dragon could in my mind have any amount of heads at any givven time constantly changing (spawning and loosing heads at will).If i were to attemt making my own chaos dragon i would get me one of those Mcfarlane toy dragons and like griefbringer said throw on half a spawn kit to make it chaosy.

Gaargod
12-05-2009, 16:26
[QUOTE=Griefbringer;3566802]The idea that all chaos dragons have exactly 2 heads does not sound very chaotic to me - I would imagine that within the masses of creatures of chaos, you could find dragons with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 heads - or even dragons with 0 or 2.4 or -3 heads. It is chaos after all.

[QUOTE]

Whacha?
Trying to visualize -3 heads...

As for chaos dragons, as long as it vaguely comprises of any number of heads, any number of bodies and limbs and some method of flying, i don't care.

It should like some effort has gone into tho...

Griefbringer
12-05-2009, 17:56
As for chaos dragons, as long as it vaguely comprises of any number of heads, any number of bodies and limbs and some method of flying, i don't care.

Some method of flying? Hmmm, I could see a dragon without wings that has strapped a load of balloon to itself to stay in the air.

And another that has stolen a dwarf gyrocopter and strapped it to his back as a sort of helicopter-backpack.

And last dragon has resolted into praying the dark gods to bless him with a giant pogo-stick, which he can use to traverse the battlefield in long bounces (in imitation of flight).

Or you could even go for "count as" and use a chaos dwarf airship for a dragon substitute. Just strap to the front a flame-thrower and gas-projector, and then some mechanical axes to the bottom to cover the need for close combat attacks (or even unlucky greenskins lowered down with ropes tied around their ankles). Then perhaps a little tower/turret on the top for the character riding it (especially if it is a sorceror of some sort). Perhaps not the easiest model to make, but should look impressive.

Mind me, do not try too hard to visualize how a dragon with -3 heads would look like - trying to comprehend the nature of the chaos is not healthy, and wise men have been driven to insanity for lesser deeds.

Sleazy
13-05-2009, 07:26
Wow - The only reason I asked is because I have managed to pick up a cheap Glarauch model. I am going to try to get a cheap palaquin of Nurgle, attach to the back of said dragon, and have a Nurgle sorcerer ride him.....

No problem with that, it wont be Galrauch but of course you can use the model as generic chaos dragon #1. I would try to paint it nurgley though rather than Tzeentch. The Changer of Ways and the Lord of Pestilence arent exactly busom buddies.