PDA

View Full Version : 2k High elf experimental force

danny7865
11-05-2009, 16:43
I wanted to try a new army list to use at my local gaming club. Just wondered what people would think of it. It's first outing will be against ogres or goblins on wednesday and I was wondering what you guys thought of it

Characters
Prince with starlance , vambraces of defence dragon armour shield on a moon dragon 560
level 2 mage with seer staff and dispel scroll 185
level 2 mage with ring of fury and silver wand 185
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core
10 archers 110
10 archers 110
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
special
14 Swordmasters full command blade master has skein sliver 265
Lion chariot 140
Dragon princes full command 200
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rare
2 Repeater Bolt Throwers 200
Great eagle 50
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Plan is to use lion chariot and dragon princes on one flank and dragon on the other.

-Eagle will try to draw out fanatics and mark block

-Swordmasters will try to move up the centre (mage in the unit with seer staff )

-Use RBT's to take down anything which might be problematic and archers to generally fill out the core choices and weaken rank and file.

-Havent decided how to use my magic, as against heavy magic 4 DD will struggle.
So what do you guys think !!!!

Dragon Prince of Caledor
11-05-2009, 17:48
You have one ranked unit :S If you are going to take a prince on a dragon make it star, go big or go home! I have found that giving him armour of caledor, vambraces of defense, halberd (andi think amulet of light) works really well. The loss of hitty power (he still has a fair amount!) results in an unkillable lord on a beast!!!
Your swordmasters will get steamrolled with impact hits since you dont have anything else to support them.
Eagles and bolt throwers are always good. I would suggest two eagles of a unit of shadow warriors as well as an eagle. Dragon Princes are lovely. I would give them either a war banner or a banner of ellyrian or the banner of arcane protection (probably the best choice IMO) I think a sacred incense character in the swordmasters would make them a little less squishy againt missiles. The lion chariot is a beast. Unfortunately I think (just one guy's thoughts) that this list would be easily steamrolled.
I also think another scroll would be useful. I always take two.
All in all I suppose that if you want to be quick and deadly (dragons/dragon princes/ chariot) lose the missiles completely, add more elites.
anyways, good luck :)

danny7865
12-05-2009, 17:42
Thank you for the advice
-I have dropped the skiensliver for the banner of ellyrion on the swordmasters and the war banner on the Dragon princes.
-Although i have one ranked unit, I feel that kills as opposed to rank bonus and outnumber will be the secret to this list.
-The missile troops are necessary as spearmen would strugge to keep up with the rest of the army and the RBT's are too take down any giants or monsters my lord might struggle wth.
-I'm aware of the unpopularity of swordmasters withweakness to missile fire but my personal feelings are they are the most destructive of the elite infantry and the multiple attacks fits in with the rest of my agressive units.
T-he swordmasters will hold back as I have no intention of letting ogres charge them.
So does anyone else have any opinions ?

Eulogy2
12-05-2009, 18:00
i think if your going against goblins or ogres, your not giving them any chance. a dragon of any kind at 2k is kinda cheesy in itself. i can see no real way that a goblin army will have a viable chance at winning against your list, though ogres may fair slightly better. both armies are considered one of the weakest out there, and your choosing a list thats rather powerful from a much more formidable army. if your goal is to show up and crush them, i think your in good shape to do so, but dont expect any rematches for a friendly game.

danny7865
12-05-2009, 18:03
point taken , I'll take another list and try this one when i'm against demons or lizardmen etc.Afterall it is for a friendly game and Think your right about tuning this list down.

Against the more formidable armies do you think this list could do well?

Eulogy2
12-05-2009, 18:33
theres nothing wrong with taking it, but maybe have 2 lists, and just ask your opponent if he cares you use your dragon. some people wont mind at all, and others may grumble abit. leave it up to them if its just a friendly game.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
13-05-2009, 00:44
i think if your going against goblins or ogres, your not giving them any chance. a dragon of any kind at 2k is kinda cheesy in itself. i can see no real way that a goblin army will have a viable chance at winning against your list, though ogres may fair slightly better. both armies are considered one of the weakest out there, and your choosing a list thats rather powerful from a much more formidable army. if your goal is to show up and crush them, i think your in good shape to do so, but dont expect any rematches for a friendly game.

2 Dragons in 2000 pts is cheese 1 is not. There are ways to kill it. Magic, Missiles, Uber lords etc.
All in all I think that O&G have a really difficult time against high elves unless they have 8 chariots :confused:

Eulogy2
13-05-2009, 00:59
2 Dragons in 2000 pts is cheese 1 is not. There are ways to kill it. Magic, Missiles, Uber lords etc.
All in all I think that O&G have a really difficult time against high elves unless they have 8 chariots :confused:

a dragon at 2k is the equivalent of a EOTG steg at 1k for lizardmen. just cause its legal doesn't mean its not cheesy. i think you'll find most people agree, but you clearly don't have too.

danny7865
13-05-2009, 17:49
Well I think that eulogy is right on this one. I personally think people should try and balance games in an attempt to make it a more fun game for all. And if they are going to struggle anyway might as well give them a fighting chance. Afterall it's only a game. :) thanks for your views though guys