PDA

View Full Version : WOTR Dealing with Dragons

DrMabutu
11-05-2009, 17:49
Any ideas?

Nu Fenix
11-05-2009, 18:06
I would say it depends on whether you are Good or Evil, and then which army.

I think Evil has it easiest, as you cast Black Breath and then Epic Strike + Heroic Duel it. Having a +10 advantage over it will certainly help.
Good can get a similar result by charging it and forcing it with something that causes Terror and forcing it to fail through Inner Glory, and have a +11 advantage.

Using Legolas or Lurtz to try and make it Resilience 1 will be a massive boost to getting through it.

Morgul Blades for Evil allow you to hit on a 4+, so you can get past it's high Defence. I combine it with Epic Rampage and The Betrayer to maximise the effect and be more likely to kill it.

Hope that helps as a starter - But as I asked, tell us what you are playing and own, and we can help from there. It would also help us to know what else is being used by the person who has the Dragon, and what point sized games they are using it in.

Angelust
11-05-2009, 20:48
Won't warmachines on a hill make short work of it?

Nu Fenix
11-05-2009, 22:05
Only hit on a 4+ and can't get a Devastating Blow, since the Dragon is a single company formation and thus gives -1 to the chart.

It would also depend on which warmachine, as hthings like an Avenger are only Strength 6, so even with a high amount of dice, it still has to get enough hits to break past its Resilience and roll on the Extremely Hard to Wound chart.

thorgrim
12-05-2009, 20:20
Legolas' crippling shot and Epic shot are probably the best bet for a elf army to take it down. Although unlikely as you would need to get to within 12 inches to get your shots off. The wizards council have some nifty tricks up their sleeves for taking it on including Black breath and Black dart. And Gandalf alone could tip the scales in a fight by Blinding lighting the beastie first.

Dueling is also worth a mention as the dragon is both a monster and a formation any result except a 1 would put hits on it. Combined with Legolas or Gandalfs ability and a fighty hero (Gil Galad or Elendil for preference) should mince the big lizard. Of course this relies on catching it first.

nix
15-05-2009, 18:14
Dueling is also worth a mention as the dragon is both a monster and a formation any result except a 1 would put hits on it.

Not true. The Duel table is:
1 - No Effect
2/3 - Close Call. (If the enemy hero is a monster, this result is instead 'No Effect')
4/5 - Sucess (1 automatic wound on hero)
6 - Rampage (If the enemy Hero is a monster he suggers D3 for being a hero AND another D3 for being a formation!)

So, only a 4 to 6 work on a Dragon for a heroic duel.